Patient Comments: Heart Failure - Symptoms and Signs

What signs and symptoms have you or someone you know experienced with heart failure? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Krispy, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 23

My husband at 46 had congestive heart failure (CHF). Symptom was not being able to breathe when lying down, and he thought it was pneumonia. His belly became very hard and distended, and he became severely constipated. He had a very clammy sweat. His ankles then became very swollen. Once his ankles swelled up it became an extreme emergency. Once at the hospital he began turning gray. He survived this but has continued follow-up by a cardiologist. Prior to this he would refuse to go to doctors.

Comment from: Charles, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My symptoms of heart failure are extreme fatigue, breathlessness, disturbed sleep pattern, difficulty breathing when asleep, and coughing in the evenings due to fluid on lungs.

Comment from: BeauVanacker, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

Having a history of congestive heart failure, I visited my cardiologist and told him that when I bend over I get short of breath and dizzy. I ended up having a stroke caused by the congestive heart failure. Yes, I now have a new cardiologist. I knew when I left from my last appointment with my old cardiologist that I would not be back. This was before I had strokes, coded 4 times, and was told that I would not make it. I believe that when I visited my old cardiologist, that he should have immediately ordered an echo. When I ended up in the emergency room and put into the hospital, the echo showed my heart was at 5 percent. If this had been caught earlier, I believe that I could have been treated and not suffered the strokes, etc.

Comment from: pepper1311, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

First signs of heart failure were legs and feet swelling. As well as it felt like legs weighed a ton, I could hardly go up the stairs. This happened very quickly, I went from regular exercise to doing nothing. I thought my knees were shot. I was in hospital for a week, still not recovered nor better.

Comment from: ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

The symptoms of my heart failure were having to urinate 3 or 4 times after going to bed, mild chest pain, wheezing, hacking cough, nausea and dizziness.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter