Patient Comments: Heart Attack - Treatments

What was the treatment for your heart attack? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kit, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

My hiatal hernia symptom is pain in the middle of my chest going through to the back. It can radiate towards neck and can last a few minutes to couple of hours. I have no acid reflux. It feels almost like something stuck.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

On Saturday afternoon I developed a high fever of 101 and soon started vomiting, and I took to my bed. On Sunday another fever and vomiting, and Sunday evening was when I noticed the red inflamed rash on the back of my right calf just above the ankle. My husband insisted I see a doctor. I was diagnosed with cellulitis and given antibiotics. I was advised to return to the doctor in 2 days if no improvement. It is extremely painful especially first thing in the morning.

Comment from: iqbal bibi, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I am an old patient of vasculitis since 2000. For 5 year I have taken tablet Deltacotril along with Zantac tablet. But now again the above problem has started from hand and foot.

Comment from: UKL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had a heart attack a week ago (57 year old female). For the past month I had been woken a few times with 'severe indigestion' but it went away after a few minutes. Last week I got woken at 3 am with a burning sensation in my windpipe and center of my chest which would not go away despite Gaviscon. Then the squeezing started, as if my chest was being pressed on both sides of my breast bone, dead center. Then my arms went numb from my shoulders to my elbows and I realized what was going on. In the past months I had ignored twinges in my shoulder, clavicle, and left side of my neck. I had broken my phone that evening and live alone so I had to walk barefoot in my pajamas to a neighbor to ask for an ambulance. My troponin enzyme levels were elevated and later that night I had 2 stents inserted. Don't ignore the twinges and warning signs. I did not have nausea, vomiting, sweating, shortness of breath, fatigue or feelings of doom or illness. Just chest pain that burned until it squeezed. I was a smoker (never going back to it) with high cholesterol but active and not vastly overweight. My doctor said family history is the main contributing factor.

Comment from: Noel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I suffered a heart attack, I had no pain, only heaviness in chest. I had bypass surgery, I still suffer with breathing and leg swelling; the heart muscle is partly damaged.

Comment from: Gina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I just couldn"t breathe. Not like short of breath; more like not being able to get the air all the way down. I was weak and sick at my stomach. I was swollen in feet, legs, face, and stomach. I became so hot I felt like taking off all my clothes. Just that feeling that I knew something was wrong but didn"t know what. I went to the doctor and he told me to rest and keep my feet propped up. By this time I could not wear any shoes. I went back to the doctor a few days later and I told him I was suffering. He did an EKG and from there I was sent to the emergency room. Heart attack; I never did get the terrible pain in my chest and arm I had always heard about. I was in the hospital for 7 days. That was 6 months ago and I still don"t feel well most of the time.

Comment from: Ignored, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I received no treatment for my heart attack. I was 25 and woke abruptly at 6am, couldn't breathe and it felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. Pain down my left arm and very severe chest pain. I lived alone and didn't want to bother anyone, so tried to ignore it. I struggled to breathe for the next 3 days, until I finally called a friend to take me to hospital. Then I waited all day for him to finish work. Finally got to emergency, 2 young doctors asked me what was wrong, I told them, and they said I could go home. That was it, no tests. 8 years on I have severe edema with daily chest pain and constant palpitations and irregular heartbeat. I recently went for a beach walk and almost had to be rushed to hospital. I can't have any kind of life.

Comment from: Joe, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

My non-smoker wife of 54 years, age 76, died from a heart attack on Oct. 18, 2012. Her symptoms included no chest pain, but she had shortness of breath, cold sweats and difficulty standing. Her cholesterol was low (about 150), but her triglycerides were high and she had controlled diabetes. No record of heart trouble. Paramedics had her at the ER in less than 15 minutes. She was alert entering the ER and talking with the doctor when her heart stopped. It was restarted. This starting/stopping went on for 2 hours when her heart stopped for good. It seems all efforts were taken, yet she still died. There is no "symptom" for a heart attack.

Comment from: Ms. Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had a heart attack at age 51. My symptoms went on for one year before actually having the attack. I went to numerous doctors with the symptoms of straining and pulling in my jaw and neck, left arm numbness, and a burning sensation in the center of my chest. All the doctors said they could not find anything wrong with me. I had an echo done along with blood work and was told everything was fine. My symptoms continued until I had the myocardial infraction. I was treated with cardiac stent placement, placed on blood thinners for one year, and received heart and hypertension medications.

Comment from: mother of 4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I presented with chest pain, left arm pain and burning, and jaw pain. Both the ER Dr. and later a cardiologist said not my heart, but acid reflux. Pain got more frequent and worsened in severity. 10 days later, excruciating pain in center of chest, down both arms, and jaw. Elevated enzymes in blood showed up. Transferred to hospital 2 hours away. Angio showed 95% blockage in left descending artery. A stent was implanted. Pain free since.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I had a stent plus balloon put in. Angio Plasty I believe. I'm 80 years old. Got it pretty late in life. Eat totally different now. No meats. Blueberries etc. I knew something was wrong when I got a terrific pain in the middle of my chest. When I stopped walking, pain went away. Started walking again, pain came back. Daughter drove me to emergency. Doctor said I had an angina attack. I do lots of walking. Lost some weight, but was never heavy. Eat differently. The good foods. No saturated fats if I can help it.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 18

Your diet must be changed. Better healthier foods. Less saturated fat. Mild exercise. Walking briskly. Take your pills prescribed.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter