Trending Hearing Topics
Tinnitus is a ringing or swishing that seems to originate in the ear or head. Causes of tinnitus include loud noise exposure, medications, and other diseases. Treatment options are limited for tinnitus. Tinnitus can be prevented by wearing hearing protection when exposed to loud noises.
Watch this slideshow tour through the ear, helping you understand the causes of ear infections and how they are diagnosed and treated. See how ear tubes work to ease chronic ear infections and protect against hearing loss.
View an illustration of ear anatomy and learn about the outer, middle and internal sections that make up the ear and their functions.
Related Disease Conditions
Auditory Processing Disorder in Children
Children with auditory processing disorders often do not recognize subtle differences between sounds in words, even though the...
Cauliflower ear, or "Boxer's Ear" is caused by an injury to the ear, usually by blunt trauma from sports such as boxing,...
Hearing loss (deafness) may be present at birth or it may manifest later in life. Deafness may be genetic or due to damage from...
Ear Infection (Otitis Media)
Middle ear infection or inflammation (otitis media) is inflammation of the middle ear. There are two forms of this type of ear...
Earwax (ear wax) is a natural substance secreted by special glands in the skin on the outer part of the ear canal. It repels...
Eustachian Tube (Dysfunction)
The Eustachian tube is a membrane lined tube that connects the middle ear space to the back of the nose. Symptoms of Eustachian...
Inner Ear Infection (Symptoms, Signs, Treatments, Home Remedies)
An inner ear infection or otitis interna is caused by viruses or bacteria and can occur in both adults and children. An inner...
Labyrinthitis (Inner Ear Inflammation) Symptoms, Causes, Contagious, Treatment Cure
Labyrinthitis is inflammation of the labyrinth (the part of the ear responsible for balance and hearing). Doctors do not know...
Meniere disease (idiopathic endolymphatic hydrops) is an inner ear disorder with symptoms that include: vertigo, tinnitus,...
Noise Induced Hearing Loss and Its Prevention
Noise-induced hearing loss may be an acoustic trauma, which causes temporary hearing loss, or it may be permanent due to an acute...
Foreign Objects or Insects In the Ear
Objects or insects in the ear can be placed in the ear by patients themselves, or an insect crawling in the ear. Ear wax can also...
Swimmer's Ear (Symptoms, Pain Remedies, Treatment, Prevention)
Swimmer's ear (external otitis) is an infection of the skin that covers the outer ear canal. Causes of swimmer's ear include...
Pendred syndrome, a genetic disorder that causes hearing loss. Generally, the hearing loss is affected in early childhood....
Ruptured (Perforated) Eardrum (Symptoms, Treatment, Surgery)
A perforated (ruptured, punctured) eardrum (tympanic membrane) is a hole or tear in the eardrum. The eardrum separates the ear...
American Sign Language (ASL) is a complete, complex language that employs signs made with the hands and other movements,...
Tinnitus is described as a throbbing, ringing, clicking, or buzzing in one or both ears. Tinnitus is caused by trauma to the ear,...
How Do You Get Rid of Ringing in the Ears (Tinnitus)?
Tinnitus is not a condition in itself, but a symptom of some other condition that causes a high-pitched whine, a ringing, buzzing...
There are three types of Usher (Usher's) syndrome, the most common condition that affects both vision and hearing. The major...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Ear Infection Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Is it possible to prevent ear infections? Take the Ear Infection (Otitis Media) Quiz to learn the risks, causes, symptoms and...
Picture of Ear
There are three sections of the ear, according to the anatomy textbooks. They are the outer ear, the middle ear, and the inner...
Tinnitus: Why Are My Ears Ringing?
What is tinnitus? Explore tinnitus (ringing in the ears) causes, symptoms, relief remedies, treatments and prevention tips. Learn...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- What Is Cogan Syndrome?
- Does Stress Make Tinnitus Worse?
- Ear: Anatomy of Hearing and Balance
- Why Are My Ears Ringing?
- How Can You Protect Your Hearing?
- How Do I Relieve Pressure in My Ear?
- How Do You Clean Out Your Ears?
- How Long Does it Take to Cure Swimmer's Ear?
- Is there Over-the-Counter Ear Infection Medicine?
- Ringing in the Ears (Tinnitus) Relief Remedies
- What Causes Tinnitus?
- The Top 9 Methods of Tinnitus Treatment
- Vertigo, Not an Easy Diagnosis
- Swimmer's Ear: The Facts
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- 'Buzzing' in Ear Alerted Boy to Very Unwelcome Visitor
- 'Sonic Attacks' on U.S. Embassy Staff in Cuba May Have Been Crickets
- Are Hearing Loss, Mental Decline Related?
- Cost Keeps Many Americans From Getting Hearing Aids
- First User-Fitted Hearing Aid Approved
- Health Tip: Cochlear Implants
- Health Tip: Earache Home Care
- Health Tip: Hearing Loss Prevention
- Health Tip: How Bad is Your Hearing Loss?
- Health Tip: Recognizing Hearing Loss
- Health Tip: What's Ear Wax?
- Healthy Eating May Protect Her Hearing
- Hearing Aid Upkeep Often Out of Reach for the Poor
- Study Supports Oxygen Therapy for Sudden Hearing Loss
- Untreated Hearing Loss Can Be Costly for Seniors
- Hearing: 'Say What?!'
- Childrens Hearing Development Checklist
- Hearing Loss In Children - Not Paying Attention
- Hearing Loss Prevention Tips
- Hearing Loss: Baby Boomers Listen Up
- Hearing Loss: Ten Ways to Recognize Hearing Loss
- Hearing Not Preserved by Methotrexate
- Hearing: Does Your Child Have Hearing Loss?
- Parenting: Baby Has an Ear Infection
- Ringing in Your Ears?
- Tinnitus Ringing and Buzzing
- Hearing: Treating Childhood Hearing Loss
- When a Child Can't Hear