The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and choices can be critical to good health. Yet, few practice healthy behaviors that constitute healthy living. Read more: Healthy Living and Disease Prevention Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
The Benefits of Omega 3 Foods on Heart Health
What are the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids? Learn how Omega 3 rich foods like fish oil, salmon, walnuts, & more can boost brain...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Slideshow: Busted: Popular Diet Myths
Learn about healthy dieting myths and facts. Can't tell fact from fiction about weight loss and healthy eating? Discover the...
Pictures of the 7 Most Effective Exercises to Do at the Gym or Home (and Tips to Improve Form)
These seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most...
Heart-Healthy Diet: 25 Foods to Protect Your Cardiovascular System
See 25 foods loaded with heart-healthy nutrients that help protect your cardiovascular system. Plus, find easy meal/recipes and...
The 30-Minute Fitness Routine in Pictures
This quick, high-intensity 30-minute workout routine can make you look better and feel better. Discover the right way to do...
10 Health Myths Debunked With Pictures
Will cracking you knuckles cause arthritis? Does sugar make kids hyper? Can a toilet seat make you sick? Learn about these common...
Men, Love, and Sex: 18 Secrets Guys Wish You Knew in Pictures
What do men really want you to know about them? For better intimacy, learn these 18 secrets guys wish you Knew about sex, love,...
Diet-Wrecking Foods: Smoothies, Lattes, Popcorn, and More in Pictures
It may seem healthy, but is it really? Many food frauds masquerade as diet food. See 23 foods that seem healthy but can be...
Top 7 Ways Water Benefits the Body
Drinking water benefits digestion, metabolism, toxin elimination, and other functions. Water promotes weight loss and helps...
Top 10 Foods for Healthy Hair
Watch this slideshow to learn the Top 10 Foods for Healthy Hair. See which foods will provide essential nutrients, vitamins and...
12 Reasons to Love the Mediterranean Diet in Pictures
The Mediterranean diet is a delicious way to eat healthy. We show you how to get the most from this diet with foods like olive...
High Protein Diets: Good or Bad?
Low-carb, high-protein diets are quite popular. High protein diets let you snack on protein-rich foods you love, but what are the...
Parenting: Learn to Be a Better Parent
Good parenting isn't magical. It takes learning, dedication, and hard work. Learn how to set rules, offer love, and discipline...
Tips for a Healthy and Safe Home
A safe and healthy home should support our health. Learn how to keep each room in your house (kitchen, bathroom, attic, garage,...
Protect Your Health in a Rough Economy: Pictures
Worried about losing your health insurance? Laid off? Discover 10-plus ways to protect your health care and health in a rough...
Organic Foods in Pictures: To Buy or Not to Buy Organic
Some organic fruits and vegetables come with additional benefits, while others are identical to their conventional counterparts....
Tips to Eat Healthy When You Dine Out in Pictures
Recognize the dangers of eating out and stay on your healthy diet at restaurants. Learn about healthy eating at restaurants,...
Grocery Smarts: 'Healthy Fat' Foods for Fitness in Pictures
A healthy diet starts at the grocery store. See which fat foods to avoid and which fit foods to choose....
Related Disease Conditions
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Muscle spasms are involuntary muscle contractions that come on suddenly and are usually quite painful. Dehydration, doing...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is the most common and serious complication of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), aside from...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Chewing Tobacco (Smokeless Tobacco, Snuff)
Chewing tobacco (snuff or smokeless tobacco) has more nicotine absorbed into the system than by smoking a cigarette. Chewing...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Overactive Bladder (OAB)
Overactive bladder is a sudden involuntary contraction of the muscle wall of the bladder causing urinary urgency (an immediate...
HDL vs. LDL Cholesterol (Differences, Normal Ranges, Meanings)
HDL (high-density lipoprotein), or the "good" cholesterol, and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or the "bad"...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral...
Is Hepatitis B Contagious?
Hepatitis B is a type of liver infection. Hepatitis B is spread through person-to-person contact or through personal items like...
Bullying is repeated physical or verbal aggression that involves an imbalance of power. Types of bullying include physical,...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Diabetes Prevention (Type 2)
The risks for developing type 2 diabetes include family history, ethnicity, birth weight, metabolic syndrome, and obesity....
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colo-rectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Affordable Care Act (ACA or ObamaCare)
President Barack Obama signed the Affordable Care Act (ACA or ObamaCare) into law on Mar. 23, 2010. The Affordable Care Act aims...
Smoking During Pregnancy
Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of miscarriage or stillbirth, low birth weight or premature birth, and more....
Job Stress and Your Health
Early warning signs of job stress include headache, sleep disturbance, difficulty in concentrating, short temper, upset stomach,...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Healthy Living - Diet
Describe your healthy diet and the reasons for changing what and how you eat.Post View 2 Comments
Healthy Living - Exercise
What type of activity or exercise do you engage in? Why did you choose that particular form of fitness?Post
Healthy Living - Alcohol
How much alcohol do you drink each week> Why do you limit your alcoholic consumption?Post
Healthy Living - Risky Behavior
What high-risk behaviors do you engage in? What behaviors have you curtailed, and why?Post
Treatment & Diagnosis
- What Is the Definition of Organic Food?
- Healthy Lunches: 15 Healthy Brown Bag Lunches
- Four Summer Health Myths Debunked
- 10 Tips for Fitness Walking
- Exercise: Is The Weather Holding You Back From Exercising?
- Do You Need a Tetanus Shot?
- Heartburn: Carbonated Soda & Sleeping Pills Increase Nighttime Heartburn
- Stress: Three Minutes to Stress Relief!
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation for Stress and Insomnia
- Health: 8 Tips for Making and Keeping Healthy New Year's Resolutions
- Stress: 8 Immediate Stress-Busters
- Fats, Fish Oil and Omega-3-Fatty Acids
- DHA-Spray and Sunless Tanning Booths
- Annual Physical Exam
- Nutrition: Eat the Right Type of Carbs
- Dementia Prevention: Brain Exercise
- Ovarian Cancer: Exercise May Help Prevent
- Trans Fats Banned in NYC
- Ask the Experts - Fitness
- Health: Are You Living a Healthy Lifestyle?
- Work: TV, Internet Pose Health Risks for Full-Time Workers
- Nutrition: Juice Drinks for Toddlers - How Much Is Too Much?
- Nutrition: Does Diet Deter Disability?
- Vegetarian Diets And Nutritional Adequacy
Prevention & Wellness
- Immune System Reboots During Sleep
- Unhealthy Habits May Cost Canadians 6 Years of Life
- 1 in 3 Hospitals in Developing World Lack Running Water
- As States Raise Speed Limits, Road Deaths Rise, Report Finds
- Health Tip: Wear a Bike Helment
- Wealthy Transplant Recipients May Have an Edge: Study
- Most Americans Will Experience At Least 1 Diagnostic Error: Report
- Antibacterial Soaps Fail to Beat Plain Soap
- Gains in Life Spans Seen Around the Globe
- Injuries Tied to Illegal Meth Labs on the Rise: CDC
- Bigger Families Mean More Infections, Study Finds
- Online Program Boosts Hand Washing, Cuts Infections
- Your Family's Germs May Move With You
- Purposeful Life Might Be a Longer Life
- Fruits and Veggies May Reduce Death Risk, Study Suggests
- Antibacterial Soaps & Body Washes: FAQ
- Health Disparities Persist in America: Report
- More Proof Healthy Living, Not Smoking Pay Off
- Health Highlights: March 14, 2013
- Everyday Activities May Have Same Health Benefits as Going to Gym
- Scientists Find Clue to Aging Reversal in Mice
- Marriage Might Lengthen Life
- Americans Sicker Compared to Other Wealthy Nations
- A Few Extra Pounds Linked to a Longer Life
- Health Tip: A Dirty Sponge Spreads Germs
- Health Tip: Plan to Stay Healthy
- How Well Do You Rise From Sitting on the Floor?
- Antiseptic Products Can Be Contaminated: Study
- The Secret to a Longer Life? Children
- Health Tip: Get Heart Healthy
- Face Washing the Healthy Way
- More Americans Buckling Up Than Ever Before: Report
- Boomers Zero In on Health at Age 50 and 65, Study Says
- Many Studies' 'Wow' Results Usually Fade in Follow-Up
- Health Tip: Wash Your Hands
- Health Tip: Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Study Questions the Value of Annual Physical Exams
- Wondering About Your Hospital's Quality? Ask a Nurse
- Clearer Prescription Drug Labels May Be on the Way
- Fewer Crashes When Docs Report Unfit Drivers
- Which State's Residents Live the Longest?
- Docs' Sensitivity to Patients' Feelings Tied to Good Outcomes
- Third of Hospital Staff Say Hand-Washing Reminders Unwelcome
- Household Chemical PFOA Linked to Heart Disease
- Healthy Living in Old Age Can Add 6 Years to Life
- Low-Cal Diets Kept Monkeys Healthier, But Didn't Lengthen Lives
- J&&J First to Promise Toxin-Free Products
- Health Tip: Reduce Your Risk of Fire
- More Americans Walking, But Still Not Enough, CDC Says
- Increasingly, More Education Linked to Longer Lifespan in U.S.
- Why Women Outlive Men: Fruit Flies Give Clues
- Workers With Paid Sick Days Healthier, More Productive: Study
- Could Germs on Your Skin Be Good for You?
- Using Exhaust Fan on a Gas Stove Cuts Pollution: Study
- What's That Symptom? Experts Warn of Self-Diagnosis Via the Web
- Expanding Access to Medicaid Would Save Lives: Study
- Many Americans Not Prepared for Disasters: Poll
- Medicare Beats Private Plans for Patient Satisfaction: Survey
- Hospitals for Poor May Struggle Further Under Health Care Reform
- Mass General Tops List of Best U.S. Hospitals
- Electric Fans May Be Risky in Extreme Heat
- Health Tip: Is Your Home Air Polluted?
- House Votes to Repeal Health Care Law -- Again
- Tips for Memorable Family Road Trips
- WebMD Survey: Sharp Split Over Health Care Ruling
- Who Gets Covered Under Health Reform?
- Health Care Reform: Questions and Answers
- Supreme Court Upholds Health Reform Law
- Health of Americans a Mixed Bag: CDC Report
- Bonobo Genome Sheds Light on Their Links to Chimps, Humans
- Scientists Probe Diversity of Human Body's Microbes
- Modest Health Care Spending Rise Expected for 2013: Report
- Danger at Home Lurks in Pills, Plants, Chemicals and More
- 6.6 Million Young Adults Joined Parents' Health Plans in 2011: Report
- Bridging the Doctor-Patient Gap
- Health Tip: Traveling With Your Pet
- Men vs. Women: Whose Offices Are Germier?
- Personality Secrets to a Long Life
- Do We Smell Our Age?
- No Progress in Reducing U.S. Motorcycle Deaths: Report
- Night Staffing With Critical Care Docs May Lower ICU Death Rates
- Study: Trash Old, Unused Drugs
- OSHA's Safety Tests Protect Workers at Little Cost: Study
- U.S. Bests Canada, Europe in Drug Approvals
- Health Tip: When Should I Wash My Hands?
- Education Is Key to Health: Report
- Americans Living Longer but Obesity Rising
- A Better Way to Assess Body Fat and Health Risk?
- Fitness in Middle Age Lowers Medical Costs Later: Study
- Availability of Beds, Poverty Drive Costly Hospital Readmissions
- Wheelchair Breakdowns on the Rise, Study Finds
- T-Shirt, Gift Card Giveaways Raise Blood Drives' Success
- 'Blond Genes' May Vary Around the World
- Positive Thinking, Persistence Pay Off in Job Search: Study
- 'Iceman' Mummy Yields Oldest Human Blood Cells
- Better Ways Needed to Track Drug Safety: Report
- How That Glass of Red Wine Might Help You Live Longer
- More Evidence Bilingualism Aids Thinking Skills
- Americans Support Medicare Reform, But Not on Their Dime: Poll
- Most Peaceful, Least Peaceful U.S. States
- Best Paid, Worst Paid Doctors
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices Could Cut Cancer Rates: Report
- Helicopter Beats Ground Transport for Trauma Victims: Study
- Social Factors May Affect Lifespan More Than Race, Location
- More Smog Might Mean More Hospitalizations
- Here Are Fruits, Veggies That Offer Best Bang for Your Buck
- Politics May Get in the Way of Empathy, Research Shows
- People Carrying Guns May Appear Bigger Than They Are
- U.S. Spends Too Little on Public Health Initiatives: Report
- Is Tax Day Dangerous for Drivers?
- Physician Groups Call for Fewer Medical Tests
- Changes in Insurance Make ER Visits More Likely: Study
- How Supreme Court Rulings Could Impact Health Care
- Health Highlights: March 28, 2012
- Pay-for-Performance Hospitals Don't Offer Better Care: Study
- Immersion Beats Classroom for Mastering a Foreign Tongue: Study
- Supreme Court, Day 3: Can the Mandate Be Cut Out?
- Health Reform Faces Intense Supreme Court Scrutiny
- Health Care Hearings: Day 1 Focuses on Tax
- Sitting Too Much May Boost Odds of Dying
- Supreme Court Prepares to Tackle Affordable Care Act
- Legal Experts See a Close Win for Health-Reform Law
- Medicaid Expansion Is a Key Part of Affordable Care Act
- Analysts Debate Importance of the 'Individual Mandate' to Health-Reform Law
- Physician Misconduct Showing Up on the Internet: Survey
- Medicaid Patients Go to ERs More Often: Study
- Hospital Saved Millions by Keeping Close Eye on Antibiotic Use
- Your Neighborhood Can Affect Your Heart Health
- Giving Docs iPads Might Boost Patient Care
- Survey Shows People Have Little Time for Healthy Habits
- Gas Engines May Be Dirtier Than Diesels in One Respect
- Hope and Optimism May Cloud Judgment in ICUs
- CDC: 20% of Households Struggle With Medical Bills
- Life Expectancy for U.S. Blacks Shorter Than That of Whites
- Urban Forests Disappearing: Report
- Poor Patients Less Likely to Sue Doctors, Analysis Shows
- Hearing Loss Triples Risk of Falling: Study
- High Social Status Linked to Bad Behavior?
- Brain Calls the Shots on Which Hand Holds Cellphone
- Second-Chance Romance Might Not Bring Happiness
- Chemical Used to Strip Bathtubs Linked to Worker Deaths: CDC
- Health Tip: Take Care of Your Skin
- Millions of Americans Have Untreated Hearing Loss: Study
- More Young Adults Get Health Care When They Can Stay on Parents' Plans
- College Degree Lowers Marriage Odds for Those From Disadvantaged Backgrounds
- Happy, Healthy, Valentine!
- Beach & Water - Play it Safely!
- Ergonomics: Healthy Workstation Positions
- 25 Ways to Create a Green and Healthy Home
- Cleaning Products: Are They Hazardous To Your Health?
- Trans Fats...The Deadly Fat
- Life Extension: Science Fact or Science Fiction?
- Aging: Pills, Patches, and Shots: Can Hormones Prevent Aging?
- MyPyramid Plan: Tips for Increasing Fitness
- Caregiving: Helping Loved Ones Make Tough Health Changes
- Shaving Tips for Women and Men
- Quit Smoking
- Diet: Helping Your Child to Lose Weight
- Nutrition: Healthy Eating Habits for Your Kids
- Obesity: Preventing Childhood Obesity
- Obesity in Children
- Balance Exercises, Anytime, Anywhere - Weekly Schedule
- Exercise: Monthly Progress Record: Endurance, Lower Body and Balance
- Exercise & Fitness: Weekly Schedule
- Prescription Medication Safety Tips
- Diet: The New American Diet: Can We Do It?
- Heart Tests Not for Low Risk People
- Trans Fat Now On labels
- Skin Care and Overview
- 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- New Dietary Guidelines Announced by HHS
- Body Mass Index (BMI) for Children and Teens
- Fruits and Vegetables: To Your Health!
- Tips on Eating More Fruits and Vegetables
- Men Need More Fruits & Vegetables!
- Olive Oil Gets FDA Green Light
- Weight Loss: Very Low Calorie Diets
- Nutrition Glossary
- Health Benefits Of Physical Activity
- Remedy High in Lead Warning
- Ergonomics: Computer Workstation Chair
- Arthritis Better With Diet & Exercise
- Healthy Eating: Choices For Non-cooks!
- Healthy Eating: Vegetarian Style
- Kid's Menus, What's to Eat?
- Health: Are Americans Healthy?
- Healthy Aging Month
- Trans Fats Added To Nutrition Labels
- Cholesterol, How Much Do You Know?
- Diet Tips For Fruits And Vegetables
- Fast Food Salads High in Fat
- Ergonomics: Computer Workstations Lighting
- Nutrition - How Much Fat is in Fat?
- Muscle Hustle: Exercise Equipment Tips
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter