Patient Comments: Headache - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your headache? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: trebors, Male (Patient) Published: June 16

Nobody had worse migraines than mine. My whole brain just 'quit'. Finally after 65 years (72 now) I had my first seizure at 68 and it turned out to be a blessing. The doctor was treating me with a drug that stopped my migraines almost 100 percent. In the last 4 years, I have seen a tiny wavy line in my vision, which has gone in a few minutes. My miracle medicine is lamotrigine.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

My heart goes out to all who, like me, have difficulty managing their headache pain. I have cluster headache - the agony is indescribable and during the last 35 years I have had about a dozen that hurt so much, if I owned a gun, I would surely have taken my life. This year I had aggressive chemotherapy and went into heart failure. The blood vessel dilating action of my heart medications has triggered an onslaught of cluster headaches, my first episode in over 8 years. I have just stopped taking the heart medications and within 48 hours I am improving. Maxalt ODT has been a godsend for the headaches but I am not going to continue taking medications that dilate my blood vessels. I would rather be dead than spend the rest of my days guaranteed of 3 or 4 or more cluster headaches.

Comment from: lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I recently had a fall and a concussion I damaged the nerves in my neck causing severe head pain. I get pain blockers which sometimes help a bit. I tried everything from morphine to anti-inflammatory, no luck.

Comment from: Barb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have had migraine headaches for almost 50 years, and I finally just recently found a treatment that works for me. My doctor put me on gabapentin (Neurontin). It really has helped. Since I've been on this medication (probably about five years), I have had only one migraine.

Comment from: always in pain, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have suffered from headaches for 20 years now. The only thing I have found that works at all is Maxalt. I also took Depakote on a daily basis, which helped to keep my headaches at a minimum. When my Maxalt doesn't work, which is about once a year, I end up in the emergency room. In those cases, the only thing that gets rid of the headache immediately is a morphine IV.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I take 2 Tylenol extra strength for regular headache and sumatriptan 50 mg for migraine.

Comment from: KJB, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I have had headaches for over 55 years. When I had a hysterectomy at age 40, that headaches continued until I stopped taking estrogen. I am now on ativan for anxiety and seem to get a head ache after taking each dose. The only thing that will take the headache away is two ibuprofen and hydrocodone APAP tablet 7.5 - 500.

Comment from: goldwing1154, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had headaches for nearly 2 years now. I get to where I cannot think. I get disoriented and my right eye gets blurred. For over a year I have visited the doctor and with a block procedure sometimes I get relief, but some do not work. I've had one work for nearly 7 months and some do not work at all. I have tried all types of migraine medicine with no results. Now I take morphine Sulfate 15mg at night and for spikes I take oxycodone 10/325. The bad thing is after the blocks when the pain returns, it returns with a vengeance. Sometimes it comes back 300 % worse. I am getting at wits end as it is just about impossible to think, or even try to work! I need help, but do not know where to go to get it!

Comment from: etihwkcalb, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I get migraine headaches at least once or twice a week. It is very difficult for me to do anything but try to sleep it off, which is impossible unless I've taken a pill such as Imitrex, Zomig, or Maxalt. I don't wish these headaches on my worst enemy.

Comment from: mom-mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have recently found that another cause for headaches is environment. I had an excruciating migraine this past week. Normally Excedrin migraine relieves my headaches. Not this one. I traced the source to an air freshener plug-in. As long as the scent was in the house, I had a headache. Once the source was removed, the headache was gone. Doctors need to add environment as a cause for headaches. If you have had headaches and have not found relief it may be something in your house or work area causing them.

Comment from: SMilne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I have had a pituitary tumor removed and suffer with permanent migraine various visits to neurologist and drs did not help finally changed to a new endocrinologist jackpot injections of Sandostatin LAR helped for a short time migraines disappeared however medication lasted for shorter and shorter periods of time after a referral to Shands hospital wow an added dose of short acting Sandostatin 3 times a day wonderful I am finally in control of my own pain and can adjust the doses when I need to. Don't give up keep looking till you find a dr that actually listens to you and try and document symptoms when and where they begin and anything that sets it off the more info you have the better chance of getting someone to listen.

Comment from: Jersey Boy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I have been suffering from migraines since the age of 5. They have been very debilitating to the point where I missed a year of school. I have tried going to a chiropractor, and even though it alleviated my migraines for a short period, I now get headaches if I don't crack my back. I wish I could have a normal life, but these migraines keep me from that.

Comment from: mapuii, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have had headaches from very young age. Sometimes I think its migraines other times I thought it must be my eyes and sometimes I think it must be that something is in my head like a tumor for instance. I medicated myself with pain killers like paracetamol. If I don't take medicine when I feel a headache is coming sometimes I will have a fever and sometimes I vomit.

Comment from: mandyj, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I am 23 years old and about a month ago, I started noticing that I was having headaches almost constantly. They weren't like severe migraines that were excruciating or anything, but it was like a mild headache that never goes away. In the morning, when I first wake up, my head will hurt on the side that I was lying on, and then the headache just lasts throughout the day. It doesn't feel like the average headache though, my head just feels sore. It feels like I've hit my head on something, but it hurts in different areas at different times! I am worried because it's been going on more than a month.

Comment from: Audrey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I suffered severe migrains for 35 years, they would occur every ten to fourteen days with vomiting until the lining came off my stomach which was eventually streaked with blood. Tests and medication never helped, the headache was horrendous. Some time ago I decided to cut out all processed food, and anything containing artificial additives and preservatives, this was the answer. All those years of suffering could have been avoided to a great extent. I feel angry that these chemicals are permitted in what we consume. Hope this is something others can try to elimate their symptoms.

Comment from: fosterkl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I am a 46-year-old Caucasian female who works in a medical office. I have had a constant headache since October of 2004. It started with a sharp pain in the right temple, and at times moves down the right side of my body to the bottom of my rib cage. Some days are worse than others, but it's always there. I have had every test that you can imagine, lumbar punctures, CT scans, MRIs, EEGs, many lab tests and most of the scans multiple times over the years. I even had a temporal artery bx. They tried botox injections and just about every type of medication you can imagine. Nothing has helped.

Comment from: Yorky, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

Nizoral is the only help I have found in relieving a never-ending headache. I have had X-rays, CT scans, and MRI scans of the brain with no positive results.

Comment from: Jorob66, Published: August 13

My son suffered with bad headaches that occurred in the back of his head. It turned out to be a cyst in his pituitary gland. He had an operation, and he is headache free now. I hope this can help someone.

Published: July 09

Imitrex has helped me. If I am having one I take a 50mg tablet, in about an hour or two if it is still bad I'll take another. It allows me to sleep it off. This has always worked for me. I get a migraine about once a quarter.

Published: June 26

I have used Indomethacin tabs 50mg at the outset of a migraine attack (when I feel the aura)after my neurologist prescibed it for me almost as a last resort as nothing else ever helped. It works fantastically, blocking the intense pain, but it leaves me feeling a little "strange" for a few hours but the advantage of not having to suffer the pain makes this slight problem bearable. This treatment has changed my life.

Published: June 17

For me, medicated oil is something that helps me with headaches.

Comment from: kjb, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 01

My daughter has had headaches everyday for 2 years now. We have found nothing to relieve her of her headaches. I am her Mother and I am at wits end trying to help her. The doctors have had no success in finding what could be wrong. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas. We've had MRI's done, blood work, wisdom teeth pulled, and eyes checked, anti-depressants, and vitamins.

Comment from: marc, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I have been getting headaches now for the past four weeks on and off mainly the forehead which can be very painful. I saw my doctor which he said nothing to worry about, but I am still getting them and they are normal in the mornings, but not everyday. I had a very bad one today which I was sick, but that's the only time I have been sick in the four weeks. I am getting fed up with it and I have had to take time off work now.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I'm 21, and I've had headaches of varying intensity for years. I've tried abortive medications; they don't work due to my body chemistry. The one thing that always helps, Excedrin, or the generic store brand, and a caffeinated beverage. After I take the medicine, I eat a small snack, and take a short nap, usually 1-2 hours. When I wake up, I'm ready to continue my day.

Comment from: marc, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

I have been getting headaches now for the past four weeks on and off mainly on the forehead which can be very painful. I saw my doctor and he said nothing to worry about, but I am still getting them and they are normal in the mornings, but not everyday. I had a very bad one today which made me sick, but that's the only time I have been sick in the four weeks. Any ideas please as I am getting fed up with it and I have had to take time off work now with it.

Comment from: X factor, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I have migraine headaches daily. Amitriptyline HCL at night helps a lot, but I have found that drinking plenty of water and exercising has a positive effect. At first I used to get headaches as soon as I begin the exercise routine, but after going at least every other day not only did I began to feel healthier, but I noticed I was forgetting to take my medicine. Now the intervals between the headaches are longer.

Comment from: jammy, Female (Caregiver) Published: May 07

My 10 year old daughter has been suffering from headaches for the past 12 months. The pain is often associated with throbbing at the back of her head, and sometimes travels towards the front of her head. She also suffers from constant dizziness and fainting feeling. These symptoms will occur 2-3 times a week, and would often be informed by the school. I have to discuss her symptoms with her gp, but don't seem to get anywhere.

Comment from: loftingsecret, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

Headache due to a pinched nerve in the back of the neck. My physician says it's too tender of an area for doctors to do surgery, so therefore I take anti inflammatories and muscle relaxers. For how long? Lord knows. My doc says he has patient's worse off than me and doesn't have time for patients like me.

Comment from: LocoBill12, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 05

I am a 53 year old Caucasian male that gets sharp headaches whenever I stoop or strain. This has been going on for over 6 months. My neurologist thought that I may have had viral meningitis, but from what I have read it should have gone away by now. Anyone that has had the same problem, please let me know how to stop the headaches.

Comment from: HeadacheHell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have chronic severe headaches that last for weeks at a time. Primary Pain is in my forehead and back of head and neck. I have had a MRI with nothing found. I have had injections of Toradol with no relief. OTC medications do nothing! I have been to the doctor several times with no relief.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter