Patient Comments: Headache - Remedies

What is your best headache remedy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: AlleyCat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I've had a massive headache all day long that I thought might be allergy related so I took a non-drowsy sinus pill but it didn't help very much. I took that pill in the morning, and around 2 pm I took two generic Tylenol and went back to bed. About four pm I went online here to see what kind of headache I might have and looked at other people's remedies to see if I could find relief. By now my headache had moved to the top of my head and around the back like I was wearing a knit cap. Anyhow, someone said sniffing apple cider vinegar helped them so I tried this and noticed a rapid change. I lay back down with pillow over my eyes and now it is two hours later and my headache is gone! Truly want to thank the person who suggested whiffing apple cider vinegar, it does work. Thank you!

Comment from: jon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have pain in my left side and left back from chronic pancreatitis. I take lipase. I ate a fatty meal which put me to bed. I found that not eating, taking Zenpep and an antacid helped most. Pancreas now acts up easily, and I experience pain, nausea, feeling extremely poorly overall, and now I have palpitations. I intend to see a professional as heart disease history is predominant.

Comment from: eva, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

I have had an ankle arthroscopy, I am a 64 year old woman. Surgery date was May 10th, 2016. At the same time I had right ankle scope, anterior crucial ligament, navicular excision, and posterior tibial repair. I'm ok now, my pain before this surgery was extraordinary, huge pain, same pain what I got after the surgery. After surgery I got morphine, but I declined after 2 days, and did not take any pain medication. Now I'm in rehabilitation center with cast on my right leg. After my right ankle recovery, I am going for same surgery for my left ankle, plus torn ligament repair. I am thankful to my doctor. With the second surgery also going well, I will be the happiest women in this world. I was suffering a lot from the pain before my surgery, I hope not anymore.

Comment from: burns, 45-54 Female Published: February 12

The vertigo started when I would reach down to pick something up. I would almost fall on to the floor. Then it would happen when I would roll over at night. The entire room would spin. I thought at first it was my blood sugar or something else. Doctor visit diagnosed vertigo, and was given medication. It still happens every once in a while.

Comment from: Sheba, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am now allergic to every pain medication. I have different allergic reactions to each one; throat closing, blisters, rash, nausea, muscle soreness/weakness, etc. I worry that someday I might need a pain medication in case of surgery, etc. I also have difficulty with some antibiotics and anti-viral medicines. I am also now lactose intolerant, and have just developed IBS (irritable bowel syndrome. I have not had any of these issues until the past year or two.

Comment from: El, Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am halfway through a course of EECP (enhanced external counter pulsation) to treat my hardening arteries, with so far, positive results.

Comment from: Dani, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 18

I got headaches every two weeks at least for more than twenty years. My best medicine is Advil the regular one. Sometimes the pain stays for two days. But Advil is my best medicine. It works.

Comment from: Sudlor, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

When a migraine first starts I put my feet in hot water, take a couple of ibuprofen and after about 15 minutes my headache is mostly gone. It isn't all gone, but much improved and doesn't last nearly as long. I've had migraines for over 60 years and just found out about this a few years ago.

Comment from: Chreeees, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I have had migraines for at least the last 10-15 years and I've tried everything. I used to take Imitrex once upon a time. Now I use Excedrin Migraine. It takes 20-30 minutes to usually work. I noticed that my headaches are usually weather related and when the pressure drops, I get a headache. Other remedies are using a cold gel mask that is kept in the fridge over your eyes. Another option is taking a shower, fooling my head into thinking it's raining. Sometimes, I just need some caffeine. For a tension headache, I take Excedrin Tension Headache. One dose usually doesn't work though. Sometimes all you need is fresh air too and an easy day.

Comment from: spat, 25-34 Female Published: February 13

For migraine relief I have success every time I take Tylenol with caffeine. I usually just have to rest for 20 after taking it then I can carry on with my day! For me it's important to take the Tylenol as soon as the migraine starts or nothing will work. Everything else I have tried was hit and miss, even developed allergies to certain drugs.

Comment from: jomphey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

As a lifelong migraine sufferer, my mom used to put vinegar on a rag. I believe cider was what she used, the brown kind. I would exhale the vapors and it would somehow help me to fall asleep by easing the pain just a smidge. I now use Imitrex like it is Pez. But, on the roughest headaches, brown vinegar on a rag truly helps. Breathe in slowly through the nose and you'll see, Old Wives are on to something.

Comment from: Snuffy Smith, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I had 2 heart attacks 30 years ago & have had 24/7 headaches constantly, since..Ive been all over the country & no one can find a cause. Its a band-like pain & my temple arteries pulsate hard..I have taken Lorazapam (ATIVAN) 5 MG, 3 times a day (Morn-Noon-Nite)..I'm still not immune to the tablets, but they still help dissipate the hardest ache...I'm 85 years old now,& with other pains, I feel like giving up!!!I was at Cleveland Clinic etc.

Comment from: syu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

My husband and I use the same method to ease our headache. A long icy shower, a nap or undisturbed rest and perhaps eat some food.

Comment from: Marilyn, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I learned from trial and error that my headaches were caused from caffeine withdrawal. The pain is on the top of my head on the left side, continuing along my back down to my neck. I don't drink coffee, tea, or cola beverages. The only caffeine I have is from chocolate. After going without chocolate for 2 years (headache free) I gave in once and found that I could tolerate a little chocolate daily. But when I was driving on a three day trip I had to take some caffeine pills (NoDoz). I only take half a pill since it really affects me. After this last trip I started getting my headaches again. I tried heat, cold, Acetamenaphin, nothing helped. Then as a last resort I took 1/4 caffeine pill. The relief was very fast. I went from a 9 level of pain to a 4 in about 15 minutes. The rest just slowly subsided to a 1. I guess I should have known that caffeine would help, but I didn't want to start the symptoms all over again. At least now I know what to take for it if I get it again.

Comment from: Tess, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

My best remedy for a tension headache is WalMart brand headache pain pills. They work better than my regular pain meds doctor gave me. They work in about 10 mins. Also help with other pains.

Comment from: 13-18 Male Published: March 12

I am 18 years old, and I was diagnosed with migraines when I was 5 years old. The one thing that helps me with my migraine headaches is to blow a hair dryer on my face for a minute or two.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I too have been a longtime sufferer of migraines...This helps...it sounds crazy, but it does sooth the headache some...Vics Vapor Rub...rub all around the eye or eyes if both hurt, then put a dab inside the corner of your eye, yes the corner of your eye...it will burn but it is this burn that soothes the headache...then go to bed in dark room and tie a t-shirt around your head as tight as you can, or get someone to help you tie it as tight as you can...if you are very still, this will sooth the headache!!!

Comment from: 2Much4me, 45-54 Male Published: November 28

Last December I got beat up in a major department store parking lot and have had headaches every day since then. Most of the time I can tolerate the pain, but sometimes it brings tears to my eyes. I have tried every type of headache medication out there that is OTC. I am current not working nor do I have a regular doctor. I have gone to the hospital and they did some tests but found nothing. The pain is not any worse with noise. The pain is not in one location in my head, it is all over. Right now it hurts so much I am crying. Please help.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: August 11

I hurt at the top of my head I have a cold using musinex nasal spray full force an now the top off my head fells like it could blow off this is my second day I don't no if the medication dried my head up to much I just can't get rid of it.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter