- a tickling feeling from hair movement,
- nits (lice eggs) stuck on hair shafts, or
- red bumps on the shoulder, neck, and scalp.
Cause of a head lice infestation
Direct spread from person to person by head-to-head contact or direct contact with the hair of an infested person can cause a head lice infestation. Other ways for head lice spread include sharing of combs, brushes, caps, and other clothing.
Other head lice symptoms and signs
- Intense Itching of the Scalp
- Nits (Lice Eggs) Stuck on Hair Shafts
- Red Bumps on the Neck, Scalp, and Shoulder
- Tickling Feeling From Hair Movement
Main Article on Head Lice Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Lice & Nits: How to Get Rid of Head Lice
Learn how to get rid of head lice. Lice attach themselves to the scalp and feed off of human blood. Discover head lice symptoms...
Picture of Head Lice
Pediculus humanus capitis, parasitic insects found on the heads of people. See a picture of Head Lice and learn more about the...
Examples of Medications for Head Lice Symptoms and Signs
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter