Patient Comments: Head Lice - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your head lice? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mark J, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 27

My daughter caught lice at camp this summer. We started with Nix and it did not work. We had live adults the very next day. We switched to Zap (coconut and anise oil) and it seems to be working. After the first treatment I found almost a dozen dead lice. The next day, I treated her again and there were no lice. My daughter's hair is very dark and curly and locating the nits is difficult. I plan to keep on doing her hair every couple of days for the next two weeks just to guarantee that they are gone.

Comment from: steve, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 14

When my girls came home from school with lice I could not afford the lice shampoo, so I bought dog shampoo, it kills the lice for a third of the cost.

Comment from: Allyz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

Keratin hair straightening treatment in salon kills lice. Expensive but worth it!!! I hate lice!! I have lice again from my daughter's friend who used my brush. If I wasn't nursing I would do keratin but you can't do it if you're pregnant or nursing.

Published: June 02

We tried all the over the counter medicines which were not effective. During one infestation I was due to color my hair and we found that hair dye kills them. The good thing about this is you can color your hair the same shade.

Comment from: bj92452, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 10

This may sound crazy, but I tried NIX and other brands OTC, none were effective on my child until I tried Sargents ScratchX, Suldene flea shampoos. Says right on the bottle for fleas, ticks and lice. I did her head once a week and never had a problem ever again!

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: May 10

I have tried every possible remedy (both natural and chemical), cried many tears over it and nothing gets rid of the nits. Then I straight-ironed my little girl's hair and they disappeared after washing it. Think about it - we are advised to wash our clothes and bedding in temps higher than 60 degrees. Flat hair irons/strengtheners get to temps of up to 200 degrees. Try it - it really works!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter