Patient Comments: Head Injury - Cause

Please describe the cause and outcome of your Head Injury. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ellen, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 25

Last year, my son was beaten unconscious at least 3 times by thugs. He had multiple cuts across his face with broken nose. His ears and scalp were red and bruised from the vicious beating. He now has memory and concentration problems, headaches, irritability, anger and shouting impulsively, which did not do before, sleep issues, etc. I've requested a referral to a neurologist from his regular doctor. Now I'm concerned for his future and ability to function in society.

Comment from: Jack, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 27

While some work was being carried out at my home a workman dropped a cast iron drainpipe on my husband's head. He is waiting to see a neurologist next month but he's been left very off balance and can't walk more than a few steps without going off balance, plus he has a constant headache and nausea. This happened about 6 or 7 weeks ago, is it likely to be we hope it only temporary.

Comment from: moundmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

One year ago I fell and hit the back of my head on the ice. It didn't knock me out however I heard ringing and was disoriented for several minutes. The next morning I woke up with black eyes. I had no insurance so I didn't see a doctor. I'm still waking up with black under my eyes and have headaches twice a week. It is still tender to the touch where I landed. I was hoping that it would just go away.

Comment from: abjbzs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was kneeling on the bathroom floor and the shower curtain rod fell and hit me on the top of my head. The pain was bad but didn't last long. I had a slight headache that eventually went away. One week later I still feel a little light headed and now I have a funny metallic taste in my mouth.

Comment from: David, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 12

A friend of mine had an accident about 18 months ago, she had concussion but recovered. Recently she has been getting severe headaches, the hospital found she had starburst clots in her brain, whatever these are! She had an operation about 1 month ago but is now getting headaches again.

Comment from: lynngataylor, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I fell and hit my head. I had to get 7 stiches and the area is totally numb.

Comment from: Dorcas43, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

After my car being hit from behind, I was shaking, silly, and tense. Later at home I had headache, nausea, and double vision. I became very lazy over the next week. Now for the last few days I have a metallic taste in my mouth. I had CAT scan and neck x-rays but nothing's wrong. I assume I"m ok.

Comment from: Beagle1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I fell in my driveway due to ice and my feet came right out from under me. I hit the back of my head and was confused as to why I was outside. I took pain medication and applied ice. I went to bed and woke up with a headache and am very dizzy. My head feels heavy. I'm not sure if there is any concern.

Comment from: ali, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 30

My husband hit his head earlier today. He now has lower left side pain, nausea, and cramps in his hands and feet.

Comment from: Paralysis, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

At the age of 12, I went tubing behind a boat. When I was done, I swam to the back of the boat. I got in the boat and instantly began to feel dizzy. I started to feel numbness in my right side and was unaware of my surroundings. The next thing I knew I was being rushed to the hospital. I awoke a few days later in the hospital and was told that I had a head injury. I was sent to a head trauma hospital, and they found out I had a major stroke caused from the stress of bouncing around on the tube. They described it to me like being in a car accident without a seat belt. I went through rehabilitation, and I have recovered completely.

Comment from: pam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

Dec.15th I fell and came down on the sharp edge of a sidewalk. I have damaged the Supraocipital nerve, my left eye is swollen as when as the orbital socket. I was tolerating things at first even with the horrible large knot on my head and the sensitivity to my left side of my face. The longer it goes the more confused and blank I am. I try to get focused and I get more agitated and frustrated. The headaches have increased as well as the forehead pain. Is this normal? How long does this usually take to resolve itself? Or how should I approached the Dr. no one seems to be more interested in getting better than me. Or does this just take a lot of time. I am just looking for suggestions not a diagnosis.

Comment from: patient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I bummed my head at a steel cage last year. My right eye swelled up and I had severe headaches. In December last year I start collapsing by myself. They did a CT scan but there was no bleeding or swelling. At this very moment I can't walk coz my right leg is lame I have shortness of breath and my spinal cord is damage. I'm going to see the neuro specialist in January 2012 and see what they say. I'm just wondering if it is the head injury that's causing this.

Comment from: obbi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I fell off the side of the staircase going up to the bedrooms on the second floor. Our family dog decided to beat me to the top of the stairs and knocked me off of the side of the stairs about half way up, approximately 6 steps. I flipped and fell head first into I am not sure what. This was 7 days ago. I went to the doctor and he stapled the laceration in my head shut but did not take x-rays of my head or neck. Which was odd because that is where I had the majority of my pain. He had my leg x-rayed because he was suspicious of a broken leg but that was fine. I thought it was odd that he did not investigate my head injury more as I am and have been on warfarin for the last 6 years for heart failure. I am wondering if I should go back in as I still have this nagging headache and stiff neck and nausea in these last few days. The headache is no worse than it was the first day but no better either. Tylenol etc has not helped. I am confused and not sure what to do next.

Comment from: timca, 25-34 Male Published: August 17

I suffered from a major head injury. I am a man from Great Britain and this is my story of what happened to me that changed my life. It all started on January the forth, I was a student studying film production at university. I had a part time job which I was working on new years eve, so I didn't get the chance to go out, celebrate and party like all my university friends were doing so we rescheduled for the forth of January. As the weather was cold (January usually is in Britain!) and very icy. I was unfortunate that night and slipped over on the ice and banged my head. At first I was alright but after a short while my friends started noticing I wasn't making any sense in what I was talking about and acting peculiar so they phoned me for an ambulance (this I have no recollection of). I was then taken to hospital and they said I had suffered from a blood clot (subdural hematoma) due to the accident. I was then induced into a controlled coma which I remained in for the next four months. I recovered fairly well due to circumstances and I was then transferred to a specialist head injury care home. This is where I started realizing what had happened to me, my memory was terrible, I was in a wheelchair, I couldn't walk, I couldn't speak properly and had many other neurologic problems. I was in the care home for about another eight-nine months before I was discharged. In this nine months I relearned practically everything again, to walk, to speak, to interact in conversation, loads of occupational therapy. I now live my life to the full, and I am so happy that I managed to live through such a traumatic experience. I hope this has been of some use to you and thanks for reading.

Comment from: Omg, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I was hit in the back of my head just over a month ago, my head was bleeding for 4 days. Till this day there is still a big lump.

Published: September 26

My partner died from a brain injury by falling down three steps. He had a blood on the brain and damaged his brain stem, so if he did survive he would not be able to do anything. Even though the hospital staff did all they could to save him he would have been very brain damaged. So if you do get a big bang on the head get it checked out please.

Comment from: Grace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I recently had a minor head injury; this happened five months ago. My neck hurts all the time. Some days there is more pain more than others. The pain increases more in the evening.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was involved in a car accident 30 years ago. I had a head contusion and was in a coma for 10 days. I have always looked for a support group for people who have suffered such injuries. I take Paxil daily and seem to do OK. My doctor now wants to try Lamictal, and I am hesitant to do so.

Comment from: tupaton, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 22

My grandchild, age 9, was standing on a concrete picnic table when she slipped and fell. She hit her head on the concrete table above and behind one ear, then she hit her head on the ground. Her speech was slurred, but gradually she got better and now, four hours later, she's talking fine. There's no swelling, but she's very moody and tired. She might have been moody and tired anyway, as it's almost bedtime and her close friend leaves town tomorrow.

Comment from: WINDBLOWNHEADACHE, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

The cause of my head injury was a strong wind that whipped the lid of a large trash bin on wheels into the left side of my head above the ear and temple. It bent my glasses out of shape. I have had severe headaches on the left side and top of my skull with agitation, memory loss, nausea, and just not thinking right. There was no lump, but something happened inside. It was a sudden impact. I have finally gotten approval for a CT scan. I do not understand what is going on with these sudden headaches and pain across the top of my head.

Comment from: sewlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I was hit from behind in my car. I do not remember the accident. I was told my head hit the automatic seatbelt part that slides when you open the door. It was metal. For a couple of weeks I was on auto-pilot. I have had many tests and tried just about every drug including morphine. I still have daily pain, from moderate to severe. Sometimes I have trouble thinking, other times not. I was a lawyer and can't practice anymore because constant pain, lack of concentration and confusion. The accident was almost 9 years ago. HELP!!!!

Comment from: Julie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I fell on ice 3 1/2 years ago landing on the right side of my head. I was diagnosed with a concussion but didn't think it was a big deal at the time. Since that time I have had a low grade fever (up to 101). I have been to many doctors but none of them have a clue as to what is causing the chronic fever. I also have fatigue, unrestful sleep, weight loss, and memory and cognition problems. I would like to know if anyone else has this problem.

Comment from: eugene, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

When I was 13 years of age, I was asleep on the back seat of a car when the driver crashed into a brick bridge. I flew from the back seat and hit my head was crushed by the roof of the car. I was flown to the hospital and had fifty stitches in my head. I now believe if it wasn't for this accident, I wouldn't be a Schizophrenic.

Comment from: Toni, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 01

My son was involved in a motor accident on the 14th of May 2010. He was hit broadside on the drivers side of the car and sustained a shear injury (diffuse axonal injury) to the brain. He was in a coma for 5 days and now is in rehab. His thinking is all mixed up, he is 27 years old and seems to be stuck at the age of 15. I am sure this is common for someone with that severe of an injury. Has anyone else recovered fully from this type of TBI. I am also wondering about support groups in Northern California as I am told he will need 24 hour care when he gets home.

Comment from: morgansgrandma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I was a passenger in a car accident 44 days ago. I hit my head extremely hard on the window I bounced off the window then hit it the second time. Since then I have DAILY pain, numbness and tingling in my face. One could literally draw a line down the middle of my face and everything on the right side is sensitive, painful, numb and tingling. My left side of my face feels fine. My Neurologist says that the accident triggered an ongoing migraine. It still hasn't gone away. The pressure behind my ear and eye and the numbness is driving me crazy.

Comment from: worried, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I fell backwards as if you had cut a tree down and hit the back of my head on a hardwood floor. I was out for about 3 minutes. I went to the doctor the next day and had a CT scan. It showed I was okay. I still have ringing in my ears, and my voice vibrates in my head. A week has passed and I was wondering does anyone have comments on this.

Comment from: grandprixdressage, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I got a head injury (subdural hematoma) courtesy of a horse racing accident (I fell from a horse and hit railing with my helmet on, the helmet shattered). I had an immediate post incident seizure, loss of consciousness for 4 days. I suffered multiple other traumas to other areas of the body. Residual effects left were creation of scar tissue to that area of the brain leaving me with seizures.

Comment from: old brain injury, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had a severe blow to the top of my head with a metal bar more than 20 years ago. My mental status was forever changed by it. Can that blow to the head so long ago have left behind scar tissue that causes my mental problems right to this day? Several MRI's have shown white areas my neurologist thought were signs of MS, but as time has gone by it has not changed. If scarred areas from that blow to the head so long ago are what is causing my problems, can it be removed to restore my mental health?

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter