In the United States, head injuries are one of the most common causes of death and disability. Head injuries due to bleeding are generally classified by the location of the blood within the skull, these include:
- epidural hematoma,
- subdural hematoma,
- subarachnoid bleed,
- intracranial bleed,
- sheer injury, edema, and
- skull fracture.
Some common symptoms of a head injury include:
- bleeding from the ear,
- speech difficulties,
- difficulty swallowing, and
- body numbness.
Treatment of a head injury depends on the type and severity of the injury.Read more: Head Injury (Brain Injury) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Brain Layers
That part of the central nervous system that is located within the cranium (skull). See a picture of Brain Layers and learn more...
Pain-Relief Tips for Bumps, Bruises, Sprains, and Strains in Pictures
View this First Aid slideshow on Care and Pain Relief. See how to get pain relief if you've bumped your head, sprained your...
12 Surprising Headache Triggers Tips
Painful headaches can ruin your productivity and quality of life. But what triggers headaches and migraines? Learn some...
Concussions & Brain Injuries: Symptoms, Tests, Treatment
Concussions are a common type of traumatic brain injury. Read more about symptoms of a concussion, how to treat head injuries,...
IMAGESSee brain scan pictures of Alzheimer's and types of dementia See Images
Related Disease Conditions
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Pulmonary edema (swelling or fluid in the lungs) can either be caused by cardiogenic causes (congestive heart failure, heart...
14 Signs and Symptoms of Stroke (FAST)
Stroke is a serious medical condition. If you think you or someone you know is having a stroke call 911 immediately. There...
Internal Bleeding (Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Treatment)
Internal bleeding occurs when an artery or vein is damaged and blood to escapes the circulatory system and collects inside the...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
A brain hemorrhage is a type of stroke caused when an artery bursts in the brain, causing localized bleeding in the surrounding...
A hematoma is a collection of blood that is outside a blood vessel. There are different areas where hematomas occur including:...
Brain aneurysm (cerebral aneurysm) is caused by microscopic damage to artery walls, infections of the artery walls, tumors,...
Fainting (Syncope) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prevention
Fainting, also referred to as blacking out, syncope, or temporary loss of consciousness has many causes. Often a person will have...
Medical shock is a life-threatening medical condition. There are several types of medical shock, including: septic shock,...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Hemophilia is defined as one of a group of inherited bleeding disorders. Hemophilia A and hemophilia B are inherited in an...
Brain Lesions (Lesions on the Brain)
A brain lesion is defined as an area of damaged brain. Brain lesions (lesions on the brain) are caused by: trauma,...
Seizures Symptoms and Types
Seizures are divided into two categories: generalized and partial. Generalized seizures are produced by electrical impulses from...
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
The most common cause of a black eye a trauma injury to the face or head. Most black eyes are minor and heal on their own;...
Cauliflower ear, or "Boxer's Ear" is caused by an injury to the ear, usually by blunt trauma from sports such as boxing,...
Bell's Palsy (Facial Nerve Problems) Paralysis Causes and Treatments
Bell's palsy is one type of facial nerve paralysis. The 7th cranial nerve controls the muscles of the face, and although...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
Newborn Jaundice (Neonatal Jaundice)
Jaundice in newborns and babies (neonatal jaundice) usually occurs because of a normal increase in red blood cell breakdown and...
Seizure vs. Seizure Disorders (Differences and Similarities)
The differences between a seizure, epilepsy, and seizure disorders are confusing to many people. What makes it more confusing, is...
Hypersomnia is a condition where a person has excessive daytime sleepiness and trouble staying awake during the day. Treatment...
Psychotic disorders are a group of serious illnesses that affect the mind. Different types of psychotic disorders include...
Alzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss,...
Concussion is a short-lived loss of brain function that is due to head trauma. There are two types of concussion, simple and...
Shaken Baby Syndrome (Abusive Head Trauma)
Shaken baby syndrome, or abusive head trauma, is the condition that describes the symptoms and signs that result from the violent...
Aphasia is a condition that is the result of damage to portions of the brain. It can be caused by stroke, head injury, brain...
Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP)
Idiopathic means that the cause of the condition isn't known. Thrombocytopenic means there's a lower than normal number of...
Brain Damage: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
Brain damage causes destruction or deterioration of brain cells. Traumatic brain injury (TBI) and acquired brain injury (ABI) are...
Coma is the inability to waken or react to the surrounding environment. The Glasgow Coma Scale is frequently used to measure the...
Stroke is the third leading killer in the United States. Some of the warning signs of stroke include sudden confusion, trouble...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Electrical Implant Helps Brain-Damaged Woman
- More Time Spent in Sports, Faster Healing From Concussion
- FDA Warns About Consumer Devices That Claim to Diagnose Concussion
- NFL Retirees Help Scientists Develop Early Test for Brain Condition CTE
- Scientists Spot Brain Cells That Control Traumatic Memories
- Kids Who Specialize in One Sport Too Early Are Likely to Get Hurt: Study
- Most Parents Want Age Limits on Football Tackling
- 'Game of Thrones' Actress Had Two Brain Aneurysms
- Fewer Boys Are Suffering Head Injuries, But Rate Rises for Girls
- When Can Kids Return to Play After a Concussion?
- Keep Your Child Safe in Her High Chair
- Health Tip: Concussion Recovery for Children
- Are Soccer Pros at Higher Risk for ALS?
- Brain Condition CTE Seen in H.S. Football Players: Study
- Emergency Rooms the Destination for Many Electric Scooter Users
- Play It Safe With Winter Sports
- Be Alert for Concussions in Young Athletes
- Even Non-Concussion Head Hits Affect Young Football Players' Vision
- Road Rules on Smartphone Use Are Saving Bikers' Lives, Too
- Health Tip: Prevent Injuries at Work
- Are Kids' Playgrounds Really Safe?
- Health Tip: What to Do If You Suspect a Concussion
- Middle School Football Players Show Changes in Key Brain Area
- Even Young Football Players Not Immune to Damage From Head Injuries
- Concussion Tied to Suicide Risk
- Some Activity Fine for Kids Recovering From Concussions, Docs Say
- Major Injuries Take a Toll on Mental Health
- Blood Test May One Day Help Track Concussion Recovery
- New Research Offers Insights Into Football-Related Concussions
- Does Dyslexia Gene Protect Against Concussions?
- Head Blows Without Concussion May Not Damage Brain, Study Claims
- ER Nurses Might Do Better 'Eyeballing' Patients
- Kids' Concussion Symptoms May Persist for a Year
- One Football Rule Change Might Lower Concussion Risk
- 1 in 6 Americans Over 40 Has Been Knocked Unconscious: Study
- Health Tip: Use a Ladder Safely
- Routine X-Rays, Blood Tests Not Needed for Children's Concussions
- Health Tip: Feeling Dizzy? When to See Your Doctor
- When Kids Focus on 1 Sport, Overuse Injuries Rise
- When Head Injuries Make Life Too Hard, Suicide Risk May Rise
- Scientists Trace Link Between Head Injuries and Parkinson's
- How Severe Brain Injuries Might Trigger Dementia
- Adrenaline Shot Can Save Lives After Heart Stops, But at a Heavy Price
- Obesity Adds to Burden of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Are Concussions Tougher on Athletes With ADHD?
- 'Heading' Soccer Balls May Be Bad for Balance
- Young Pitchers Should Keep Pitch Counts in Check
- Sports Safety: It's Not Just Child's Play
- Girl in Controversial Brain Death Case Dies
- 'Walk & Think' Test Could Be Key to Concussion Care
- Many Parents Say Sports Can Be Too Dangerous for Kids
- 25 U.S. Kids Treated in ERs Every Hour for Bike Injuries
- 2.5 Million U.S. High School Students Had a Concussion in Past Year
- After Concussion, Are Legs at Risk, Too?
- Even Modern Care Wouldn't Have Saved RFK: Study
- The Water's Great. Just Don't Overlook Safety.
- Beach, Boating and Booze Add Up to Summer Injuries
- Can IV Fluids Harm the Brain of Those With Serious Diabetes Complication?
- Even Mild Concussion Tied to Greater Dementia Risk Later
- Health Tip: Learn Football Helmet Safety
- For Soccer Players, Heading May Pose Bigger Risk Than Collisions
- Contact Sports May Alter the Brain, Scans Suggest
- Just One Concussion Could Raise Parkinson's Risk
- Brain Injuries Linked With Dementia Risk
- Theater Workers' Head Injuries Often Go Unreported
- Kids With Severe Brain Injuries May Develop ADHD: Study
- Health Tip: Recognize Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Diesel Exhaust Might Raise Truckers' Odds for ALS
- Researchers Probe Mystery of Illnesses in U.S. Cuba Embassy Personnel
- Concussion May Not Be Needed to Bring on CTE Brain Disease
- Does Time of Neurosurgery Matter?
- 20 Percent of U.S. Teens May Have Had a Concussion
- More Evidence Contact Sports Can Affect the Brain
- Number of Americans With Epilepsy at Record Level
- Study Tests Sound Waves to Monitor Pressure Inside the Skull
- Combined MRI Might Help Predict Brain Damage in Boxers
- Take to the Road on 2 Wheels
- Nearly All Autopsied NFL Players Show Trauma-Linked Brain Disease
- PTSD After Head Injury May Signal Brain Changes
- Boxers, MMA Fighters May Face Long-Term Harm to Brain: Study
- Severe Head Injury May Raise Dementia Risk Years Later
- Concussion in High School Doesn't Boost Depression Risk: Study
- Force, Frequency of Head Hits Jump as Young Football Players Get Older
- Psychiatric Scars of Wartime Brain Injury May Linger for Years
- Hockey Doesn't Seem to Hit Players' Thinking Skills: Study
- 'Heads Up' Football Program Tackles Concussion Danger in Kids
- Vitamin E, Selenium Supplements Won't Curb Men's Dementia Risk
- Why Some Kids Take Longer to Recover From Brain Injury
- Brain Chip Helps Paralyzed 'Type' With Their Mind
- Repeat Head Hits May Not Put NFL Players at Risk of Motor Problems
- Small Study Uncovers Brain Disease in Former Soccer Players
- Fewer NFL Player Concussions in 2016: League
- Does Legalizing Pot Spur Kids to Try It?
- U.S. Families Spend 1.5 Billion Hours Yearly on Kids With Special Health Needs
- Better Sleep May Signal Recovery From Brain Injury
- New Approach to Concussion Diagnosis
- Rest May Not Be Best for Kids After Concussion
- Young Adults With Head Trauma May Have Higher Risk of Jail Time
- Brain Harm May Last Long After College Football Players' Final Game
- Scans Show Changes in Some Soldiers With Mild Brain Injuries
- Mouthguard a Key Defense Against Sports-Related Injuries
- Partial Repeal of Motorcycle Helmet Law Had Unwanted Effects: Study
- Blood Test May Someday Diagnose Concussion
- Few States Have Plans for Kids Returning to Class After Concussion
- Health Tip: Recognizing Traumatic Brain Injury
- New Tool Gauges Likely Survival After Gunshot to the Head
- Helmets Don't Prevent Kids' Motocross Concussions
- 1 in 3 Young Athletes With Concussion Returns to Play on Same Day
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Malnutrition
- How to Help Keep Your Kids Safe This Fall
- Removing Part of Skull After Severe Head Injury Brings Mixed Results
- Concussion Video Kicks Off NFL Season
- Fallout From 9/11 May Include Early Dementia
- Kids' Mild Brain Injury Can Have Long-Term Effects
- Head Injury Screening Tests Approved
- Taking a Bike Ride? Don't Forget Your Helmet
- Brief Return of Concussion Symptoms Normal Part of Recovery: Study
- Study Links Severe Head Injury to Parkinson's Risk
- Memory Loss: Normal or a Sign of Trouble?
- Almost 2 Million U.S. Kids Get Concussions a Year: Study
- 'Hidden' Brain Injury a Challenge for Military Doctors
- Fewer U.S. Kids Die From Abusive Head Trauma: CDC
- Study: Ex-NFL Players Aren't at Greater Risk for Suicide
- Sleep Doesn't Come Easy to Those With Brain Injuries
- Previous Mental Distress May Slow Concussion Recovery
- Study: Blood Test May Help Diagnose Concussions
- Study Links Concussion to Higher Risk of Later Suicide
- Head Injuries Tied to Buildup of Alzheimer's Plaques, Small Study Finds
- Could Implanted Sensor Revolutionize Brain Monitoring?
- Slight Signs of Lingering Brain Damage Seen in Young Athletes After Concussion
- Americans Growing More Concerned About Head Injuries in Football
- Scans Show Many Injured U.S. Vets May Have Brain 'Scarring'
- Hoverboard Injuries, Fires on Rise
- Study Finds Blood Test May Detect Concussion in Kids
- Ex Youth Football Player: You Could End Up Like Me
- Expert Tips for Preventing Kids' Sports Injuries
- MRI Helps Detect Brain Bleeding Soon After Traumatic Brain Injury
- CT Scan Use in Kids Fell Over Past Decade
- Preteen Football Tied to Brain Changes in Retired NFL Players: Study
- Head Injury Tied to Long-Term Attention Issues in Kids
- U.S. Hospitals May Often Miss Signs of Child Abuse
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Traumatic Brain Injury
- School Coaches Often Ill-Equipped to Spot, Manage Concussions
- Keep Safety in Mind When Skateboarding
- Brain Injury May Hurt Job Prospects of U.S. Veterans
- Rugby Player's Head Injuries Linked to Brain Decline
- Brain Injury Linked to Raised Risk of Road Rage
- Many Young Football Players Get Concussions at Practice, Study Says
- Health Tip: Fitting a Bicycle Helmet
- Medical Groups Issue Guidelines for Treating First Seizure
- Head Injuries May Prematurely Age the Brain, Study Suggests
- Smell Test Helps Spot Brain Trauma in Combat Zones, Study Says
- For Safety's Sake: A Young Star Player Quits Pro Football...
- Loved Ones Caring for Brain-Injured Veterans May Face Health Risks
- More Evidence That Boxing Can Lead to Brain Damage
- Study Suggests Early Start to Football May Pose Brain Risks
- Eye Tracking May Help to Spot Concussions Quickly
- 'Hidden' Brain Damage Seen in Vets With Blast Injuries: Study
- Middle School Football Doesn't Seem to Cause Short-Term Brain Damage: Study
- U.S. Bicyclist Deaths on the Rise, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Does Your Bike Helmet Fit?
- Parents Need to Take Lead on Teen Concussion Prevention
- Health Tip: When Headaches Signal Trouble
- Falls Leading Cause of Serious Head Trauma for Kids, Study Shows
- High School Football Players Aren't Well-Educated About Concussion
- Universal Helmet Laws May Help Save Young Motorcyclists
- Many Parents Need to Educate Themselves About Concussions
- Could a Fading Sense of Smell Point to Earlier Death?
- Head Injuries May Raise Chances of Risky Behavior by Teens
- Anemia Treatments Don't Boost Recovery From Brain Injury, Study Finds
- Veterans With Brain Injury May Be at Risk for Dementia: Study
- Head Injuries Tied to Higher Migraine Risk for Veterans
- Study: Similar Outcomes From Combat Head Injuries, Regardless of Cause
- ERs See Spike in Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Kids' Concussion Symptoms Can Linger Long After Injury: Study
- Traumatic Brain Injury Common Among Homeless Men
- People With More Education May Recover Better From Brain Injury
- Social Skills a Casualty of Childhood Head Injury, Study Suggests
- Kids' Concussions Defined by Where They Live, Study Finds
- Spotting Cause of Newborn Brain Injury Could Aid Prevention, Report Says
- 'Extreme Sports' Linked to 40,000 Head and Neck Injuries Per Year
- Vets' Brain Damage From Blasts Not Always Apparent: Study
- Avoid Sports Injuries: Advice From an Olympic Doctor
- Shopping Carts Can Pose Big Danger to Little Kids
- Brain Injuries May Raise Risk of Early Death
- Tight Blood Sugar Control Might Not Help All Critically Ill Kids
- What 'Brain-Dead' Means
- Troubled Launch of 'Obamacare' Tops Health News for 2013
- Concussions Linked to Alzheimer's Risk in Study
- Troubled Launch of 'Obamacare' Tops Health News for 2013
- Pop Songs May Awaken Fond Memories for Brain-Damaged Patients
- NIH, NFL Team Up to Take On Concussion Research
- Time of Month May Affect Women's Concussion Recovery
- Alzheimer's-Like Plaque Seen on Brain Scans After Head Trauma
- Kids With Head Injuries May Be Prone to Depression
- Head Injuries Common in Nursing Home Falls: Study
- Brain May Recover From Concussion by Compensating
- Brain-Damaged Athletes May Show Mood or Thinking Impairments First
- Brain Injury May Raise Stroke Risk
- ADHD May Be Tied to Longer-Lasting Head Injury, Study Says
- Multiple Head Injuries Raise Soldiers' Suicide Risk, Study Finds
- High School Football Players Often Not Deterred by Head Injury
- Sex Lives Often an Overlooked Casualty of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Kids' Concussion Recovery Varies by Symptom Severity: Study
- New Guidelines Raise Safety Bar on Concussions
- Brain Imaging Detects Tiny Lesions Related to Mild Injury: Study
- Single Concussion May Lead to Lasting Brain Damage
- Scans Show Details of Damage to Soldiers With Head Injuries
- NFL's Seau Had Brain Trauma at Time of Suicide, Report Finds
- Former NFLers at Risk for Brain, Mood Problems
- Hillary Clinton Plans to Return to Work Next Week
- Brain Injury Doesn't Raise Dementia Risk for Most: Study
- Second Hit Leaves Young Football Player in Wheelchair
- Hillary Clinton Hospitalized With Blood Clot
- Study Questions Standard of Care for Head Trauma
- Helmets Do Save Lives on the Slopes, Research Shows
- Citicoline Supplement Doesn't Help Treat Brain Injury, Study Finds
- Scans Spot Brain Changes in Patients With Concussion Syndrome
- Head Injury Plus Herbicide Exposure May Triple Parkinson's Risk
- Can Playing Soccer Lead to Brain Damage?
- Lax Parents, Dealers May Lead to ATV Crashes, Study Suggests
- Cheerleading Needs Safety Guidelines, Pediatricians Say
- Young Athletes Not Worried About Concussions
- Study Shows Bicycle Helmets Save Lives
- Parents May Be Taking Concussion Symptoms Too Lightly: Survey
- Consistent Criteria for Sports Concussion Might Aid Diagnosis
- Certain Eye Injuries in Kids May Indicate Child Abuse: Study
- Impact Tests Show Bike Helmets Protect Kids in Crashes
- NFL Players at Higher Risk of Brain Diseases
- Weekends More Fatal for Older Patients With Head Injury: Study
- Trauma Patients at Higher Risk of Dying of Hypothermia: Study
- College Football Players' Concussion Rates Double
- Smoking, Pesticides Might Spur Rare 'Sleep-Kicking' Disorder
- Headaches Worse With Mild Head Trauma Than More Severe Trauma
- For Combat Vets, Brain Injury Symptoms Can Last Years
- Brain-Injury Recovery Varies Widely Among Children
- Motorcycle Helmet Laws Save Lives and Dollars: CDC
- Head Injury's Location Key to Concussion Effects
- City Bike-Share Riders Seldom Wear Helmets
- 'Catastrophic' Head Injuries to High School Football Players Rising
- When Does Boxing-Related Head Trauma Become Too Much?
- Nonsurgical Method to Measure Brain Pressure Shows Promise
- 'Delayed Reactions' May Outlast Other Concussion Effects
- Sports Concussion: Myths and Facts
- Childhood Head Injuries Can Improve Over Time
- EEG Measures Awareness in Some 'Vegetative' Patients
- Onfi Approved to Treat Severe Seizures
- Dementia Risk for Retired Football Players?
- Head Traumas: Big Source of Young Athlete Deaths
- Head Injury Risks Linger
- Gabrielle Giffords' Brain Injury: FAQ
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Linked to Dementia
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter