Patient Comments: Head and Neck Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with your head or neck cancer? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: trisha2520, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I could not swallow and me ears hurt so bad that I was taking paid medicines every day. They were diagnosing it as TMJ (temporomandibular joint disorder) for almost 1 year before finding the laryngeal cancer.

Comment from: PJ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I have squamous cell cancer on left ear, sore throat (for over year), swollen left side of neck and jaw, and both salivary glands swollen. Left tongue is painful and there is pain and bleeding in upper stomach. I have been on Prilosec for 2 years, but no change. ENT states all symptoms (except SCC on ear) are due to stomach inflammation and was not going to follow through with CAT scan, MRI or any other diagnostic tests. I requested CAT scan but have serious doubts about this doctor. I have had all symptoms for over one year, reason to believe metastasis. Frustrated!

Comment from: Bobbi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have a tightness and pain in my left jaw below the ear. It radiates out to my neck on both sides now. My voice tends to sound like I have gravel in it at times and swallowing is not difficult but takes effort at times. I had thyroid cancer 15 years ago which invaded the neck but was treated with surgery and radiation.

Cancer 101: Cancer Explained