Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph nodes in the upper part of the neck. These cancers account for 3% to 5% of cancers in the U.S. Tobacco and alcohol use are important risk factors. Treatment may involve surgery, radiation therapy, and/or chemotherapy. Read more: Head and Neck Cancer Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Head and Neck Cancer Quiz
Learn the facts about head and neck cancers....
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Head and Neck Cancers: Symptoms and Treatments
Head and neck cancers include cancers of the throat, lips, nose, mouth, larynx, and salivary glands. They are more likely to...
Smartphone Dangers: Could Your Cell Phone Be Bad for Your Health?
Smartphones are associated with some health dangers, but exposure to cell phone radiation does not lead to brain cancer, brain...
Related Disease Conditions
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Genital Warts (HPV) Infection in Women
Genital warts is a sexually transmitted infection (STI, STD) caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It is the most common STD...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Hoarseness (abnormal deep, harsh, raspy voice) is caused by a variety of conditions in which the larynx (voice box and vocal...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Migraine headache is a type of headache associated with a sensitivity to light, smells, or sounds, eye pain, severe pounding on...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
HPV (Human Papillomavirus Infection)
HPVs or human papillomaviruses are a group of viral infections of the skin and mucous membranes. Certain high-risk types of HPV...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms that include abdominal pain, bloating,...
Ankylosing spondylitis is a type of arthritis that causes chronic inflammation of the spine. The tendency to develop ankylosing...
The most common taste disorder is phantom taste perception; that is, a lingering, often unpleasant taste even though you have...
Costochondritis and Tietze Syndrome
Costochondritis is inflammation of the cartilage where the ribs attach to the sternum. Tietze syndrome affects the same region of...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS or SEID)
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID) is a debilitating and complex disorder...
Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE)
Systemic lupus erythematosus is a condition characterized by chronic inflammation of body tissues caused by autoimmune disease....
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Larynx Cancer (Throat Cancer)
Symptoms of cancer of the larynx, the organ at the front of the neck, include hoarseness, a lump in the neck, sore throat, cough,...
The term oral cancer includes cancer of the mouth (oral cavity) and the back of the mouth (oropharynx). Red and white patches...
Tumor grade is a system used to classify cancer cells in how likely the tumor is to grow and how abnormal they look under a...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Myofascial Pain Syndrome
Myofascial pain syndrome is muscle pain in the body's soft tissues due to injury or strain. Symptoms include muscle pain with...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Lyme disease is a bacterial illness, which is spread by ticks when they bite the skin. Initially the disease affects the skin...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Salivary Gland Cancer
Salivary gland cancer is cancer that affects the parotid glands, sublingual glands, or the submandibular glands. Risk factors...
Dry eyes are caused by an imbalance in the tear-flow system of the eye, but also can be caused by the drying out of the tear...
Asbestos (Exposure Dangers, Testing, Symptoms)
Asbestos is a mineral fiber that is found in soil and rock. Asbestos exposure occurs when asbestos fibers are disturbed and...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Nasopharyngeal cancer is a form of cancer in which malignant cells form in the nasopharynx tissues. Risk factors include being of...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Local ResourcesFind a local Oncologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Liver Blood Tests (Normal, Low, and High Ranges & Results)
- Cortisone Injection
- CT Scan vs. MRI (Differences between Machines, Costs, Uses)
- Rheumatoid Factor (RF)
- Endoscopy (EGD) Procedure
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Trigger Point Injection
- Antinuclear Antibody Test
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
- Radiation Therapy
- Biological Therapy
- Plastic Surgery (Cosmetic Surgery)
- Buttock Pain
- Arm Pain
- Joint Pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Frequent Urination
- Chest Pain
- Lower Back Pain
- Neck Pain (Cervicalgia)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Chronic Pain
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Cancer Research: Going the Distance
- Cancer Pain Management with Ann Reiner
- Cancer: The Importance of Joining a Cancer Support Group with Selma Schimmel
- Cancer Patients Need Proper Diet and Exercise
- Cancer: Living Well Despite with Win Boerckel
- Cancer Treatment: Writing to Heal with Margie Davis
- Cancer Survival and Attitude with Hamilton Jordan
- Cancers: Children's Cancers
- Cancer: Confronting Cancer with Humor
- Cancer: Journaling to Save Your Life
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
Medications & Supplements
- gabapentin (Neurontin)
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- lorazepam (Ativan)
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- duloxetine, Cymbalta
- Lyrica (pregabalin)
- Dilaudid vs. Fentanyl (Pain Strength Comparison and Side Effects)
- cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, Amrix, Fexmid)
- hydroxyurea (Hydrea, Droxia)
- pilocarpine, Salagen
- isotretinoin (Claravis, Amnesteem, Absorica, Myorisan, Zenatane, Sotret, Accutane)
- fentanyl patch (Duragesic)
- granisetron transdermal system (patch), Sancuso
Prevention & Wellness
- New Treatment Approved for Common Skin Cancer
- Chronic Heartburn Tied to Higher Odds for Head, Neck Cancers
- New Guideline Aims to Help Doctors Diagnose Head, Neck Masses
- Drug Offers Some Hope for a Deadly Lung Cancer
- Prison Time Can Be Deadly … to Health
- More Cancer Patients Gaining From Immune-Based Treatments
- Head and Neck Cancers May Be Linked to Hepatitis C
- Head, Neck Cancer Patients May Be at Higher Risk for Suicide: Study
- Blood, Saliva Tests May Spot Head and Neck Cancers Early
- Cancer Patients Who Smoke, Drink May Face Longer Feeding Tube Use
- Oral HPV Infection Lasts Longer in Older Men, Study Finds
- Antacids May Improve Head and Neck Cancer Survival
- Diabetes May Raise Risk for Head and Neck Cancer
- Lymphoseek Approved for Diagnosing Cancer Severity
- Fried Foods May Boost Prostate Cancer Risk, Study Says
- Gum Disease, HPV May Play Role in Head and Neck Cancers
- HPV-Related Head, Neck Cancers on the Rise
- Oral HPV Infection Strikes Men More Than Women: Study
- Fewer Dying in U.S. From Throat, Mouth Cancer, Study Finds
- Erbitux Approval Expanded to Include Head and Neck Cancer
- Can HPV Vaccine Stop Throat Cancer?
- Lots of Coffee Lowers Oral Cancer Risk
- Exercise Recommended for Cancer Patients
- Erbitux Extends Life for Head and Neck Cancer Patients