Hay fever (allergic rhinitis) is an irritation of the nose caused by pollen and is associated with the following allergic symptoms: nasal congestion, runny nose, sneezing, eye and nose itching, and tearing eyes. Avoidance of known allergens is the recommended treatment, but if this is not possible, antihistamines, decongestants, and nasal sprays may help alleviate symptoms. Read more: Hay Fever (Allergic Rhinitis) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Could I Be Allergic? Discover Your Allergy Triggers
Allergies are an overreaction of the immune system where the body's defenses react to substances such as pollen, food and more....
Allergies Quiz: Symptoms & Home Remedies
What are the causes of allergies? This online quiz challenges your knowledge of common food and household allergens,...
Picture of Atopic Dermatitis
This condition is the most common of all pediatric dermatoses. See a picture of Atopic Dermatitis and learn more about the...
Picture of Atopic Dermatitis or Eczema
Eczema is a skin condition caused by inflammation. See a picture of Atopic Dermatitis or Eczema and learn more about the health...
Pictures of Allergy Relief Tips at Home: AC Filters, Electronic Air Cleaners, and More
Learn how a combination of medication, preventing allergens, and allergy relief products can reduce allergy symptoms and help you...
10 Worst Cities for Spring Allergies With Pictures
See pictures of the top 10 "spring allergy capitals", according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA). From...
Allergies: Common Plants and Trees That Trigger Allergies
Find out more about which plants and trees might be producing pollen that is causing your itchy eyes and a runny nose....
Related Disease Conditions
Sinus Infection (Sinusitis)
Sinus infection (sinusitis) is caused by allergies, infection, and chemicals or other irritants of sinuses. Signs and symptoms...
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip (Symptoms, Treatment)
Chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip symptoms include an itchy, runny nose, sneezing, itchy ears, eyes, and throat. Seasonal...
Tonsillitis (Adnoiditis, Symptoms, Home Treatment, Pictures, Causes)
Tonsillitis is a contagious infection with symptoms of bad breath, snoring, congestion, headache, hoarseness, laryngitis,...
Eczema refers to skin inflammation. There are many different types of eczema that produce symptoms and signs that range from...
Sore throat usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused by bacterial...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Sinus Headache Pain, Symptoms, Treatments, Remedies, and Cures
Sinus headache is caused by a sinus infection or inflammation of the sinus cavities. Symptoms of a sinus headache include pain,...
Genetic Disease (List, Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, Prognosis)
The definition of a genetic disease is a disorder or condition caused by abnormalities in a person's genome. Some types of...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Mold exposure may cause symptoms in people who are sensitive to molds. Symptoms of mold allergy include sneezing, runny nose,...
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
Eosinophilic esophagitis is an inflammation of the esophagus. Eosinophilic esophagitis has many causes including acid reflux,...
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Cold, Flu, Allergy Treatments
Before treating a cold, the flu, or allergies with over-the-counter (OTC) medications, it's important to know what's causing the...
Indoor allergens are substances that can cause an allergic reaction in some people. Common sources of indoor allergens include...
Ichythyosis vulgaris is an uncommon inherited condition marked by xerosis. Symptoms and signs include very dry, scaly skin over...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Allergy Treatment Begins At Home
Avoiding allergy triggers at home is one of the best ways to prevent allergy symptoms. Controlling temperature, humidity, and...
The allergic cascade refers to allergic reactions that happen in the body in response to allergens. A variety of immune cells and...
Latex allergy is a condition where the body reacts to latex, a natural product derived from the rubber tree. The reaction can...
Occupational asthma is a type of asthma caused by exposure to a substance in the workplace. Symptoms and signs include wheezing,...
Biologic rhythms, or biorhythms, are how our bodies respond to the regular phases of the sun, moon, and seasons. A medical...
Local ResourcesFind a local Asthma & Allergy Specialist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- hydroxyzine (Vistaril)
- Antihistamines (Oral)
- diphenhydramine, Benadryl
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Dilaudid-5, Dilaudid-HP Injection, Exalgo) for Pain
- promethazine, Phenergan, Phenadoz, Promethegan
- methylprednisolone, Medrol, Depo-Medrol, Solu-Medrol
- montelukast - oral, Singulair
- cromolyn - nasal, Nasalcrom
- promethazine/phenylephrine - oral
- flunisolide - nasal, Nasalide, Nasarel
- fexofenadine - oral, Allegra
- fexofenadine/pseudoephedrine extended-release - oral, Allegra D
- loratadine dispersible tablet - oral, Alavert ODT, Claritin RediTabs
- guaifenesin/dextromethorphan/decongestant - oral
- loratadine - oral, Claritin
- fexofenadine 24-hour tablet - oral, Allegra
- promethazine/dextromethorphan - oral
- pseudoephedrine/loratadine 24-hour tablet - oral, Claritin-D
- diphenhydramine - injection, Benadryl
- promethazine/phenylephrine/codeine - oral
- cetirizine - oral, Zyrtec
- diphenhydramine - oral, Benadryl, Genahist, Sominex, U
- desloratadine - oral, Clarinex
- loratadine/pseudoephedrine sustained-release - oral, Claritin-D
- guaifenesin/decongestant/narcotic antitussive/antihistamine - oral
- montelukast granules - oral, Singulair
- loratadine liquid - oral, Claritin
- triamcinolone acetonide - nasal, Nasacort
- guaifenesin/antitussive/decongestant/antihistamine - oral
- guaifenesin/decongestant/antihistamine - oral
- desloratadine dispersible tablet - oral, Clarinex Reditabs
- ipratropium bromide inhaler, Atrovent, Atrovent HFA
- montelukast chew tablet - oral, Singulair
- cetirizine liquid - oral, Zyrtec
- Antihistamine Shots (Injections)
- montelukast, Singulair
- loratadine, Claritin, Claritin RediTabs, Alavert, Claritin Hives Relief, Children's Claritin
- decongestant spray - nasal
- prednisolone (Flo-Pred, Pediapred, Orapred, Orapred ODT)
- Periactin (cyproheptadine)
- cetirizine, Zyrtec, Zyrtec Allergy, Zyrtec Hives
- fluticasone (Flonase, Flonase Allergy Relief)
- Nasal Decongestants
- fluticasone furoate nasal spray (Veramyst)
- fexofenadine, Allegra, Allegra Allergy, Allegra Hives, Children's Allegra, Mucinex Allergy
- Nasal Allergy Medications
- loratadine and pseudoephedrine (Alavert Allergy & Sinus, Claritin-D, Claritin-D 24 hour)
- mometasone furoate, Nasonex
- decongestant drops - nasal
- azelastine, Astelin, Astepro
- budesonide (Entocort EC, Uceris)
- phenylpropanolamine-oral, Accutrim, Dexatrim
- triamcinolone acetonide nasal inhaler-spray, Nasacort (discontinued brand in USA); Nasacort AQ
- cromolyn, Nasalcrom, Gastrocrom (Intal, Opticrom are discontinued)
- clemastine - oral, Tavist
- pseudoephedrine (Oral, Afrinol, Sudafed)
- desloratadine, Clarinex, Clarinex Reditabs
- budesonide nasal inhaler (Rhinocort Allergy, Rhinocort Aqua)
- beclomethasone dipropionate inhaler/spray; Beconase AQ, QNASL
- zafirlukast (Accolate)
- dextromethorphan/decongestant/antihistamine - oral
- decongestant/antihistamine/anticholinergic - oral
- chlorpheniramine, pseudoephedrine, Deconamine (Discontinued)
- flunisolide nasal spray, Aerospan (Nasalide, Aerobid, Aerobid HFA are discontinued)
- beclomethasone dipropionate nasal inhaler-spray, Vancenase, Beconase
- beclomethasone - nasal, Beconase Aq, Vancenase Aq
- narcotic antitussive/antihistamine - oral
- decongestant/narcotic antitussive/antihistamine - oral
- terfenadine, Seldane
- astemizole, Hismanal
- decongestant/narcotic antitussive/acetaminoph/antihistamine - oral
- decongestant/narcotic antitussive - oral, Alahist DHC, Symtan
- Rhinocort Aqua
- Clemastine Fumarate Syrup
- Clarinex-D 12hr
- Claritin D
- Nasacort AQ
- Patanase Nasal Spray
- Clarinex-D 24hr
- Entex La
Prevention & Wellness
- Brush Up on Fall Allergies Before Tackling the Leaves
- Health Tip: Describing Hay Fever
- Allergies Getting Worse? Blame Climate Change
- Obesity May Raise Girls' Risk of Asthma, Allergies
- Immunotherapy Not a Quick Fix for Hay Fever
- Farm Kids Get Fewer Allergies, International Study Finds
- Food Allergies Linked to Raised Risk of Asthma, Hay Fever
- Antibiotics Before Age 2 May Be Linked to Allergies Later
- Health Tip: Don't Be Surprised by Fall Allergies
- Eczema's Effects More Than Skin Deep
- Prenatal Diet Rich in Vitamin D May Cut Allergy Risk in Kids: Study
- Under-the-Tongue Hay Fever Pills Offer Little Benefit: Study
- Probiotics May Ease Hay Fever Symptoms
- Is It a Cold or an Allergy?
- New Guidelines for People With Nasal Allergies
- Certain Allergy, Depression Meds Tied to Higher Odds for Dementia
- Health Tip: Recognizing Hay Fever
- Over-the-Counter Flonase Allergy Relief Approved
- Sizing Up Your Options for Hay Fever Relief
- Got Hay Fever? New Tablets vs. Allergy Shots
- Stress Tied to Worse Allergy Symptoms
- FDA Approves Under-the-Tongue Hay Fever Pill
- So Long Snow, Hello Pollen
- FDA Approves Under-the-Tongue Hay Fever Pill
- Expectant Mothers' Colds May Affect Baby
- Less Variety in Babies' Gut Bacteria May Lead to Asthma Risk
- Nasal Allergies, Hay Fever Tied to More Migraines in Study
- Kids in Southern U.S. More Likely to Have Hay Fever: Study
- Nasacort Allergy Spray Can Go OTC, FDA Panel Says
- Allergies May Boost Severity of Lung Disease
- Allergies: As American as Apple Pie?
- Springtime Allergies More Severe, Last Longer Now, Experts Say
- Oral Allergy Treatment May Ease Asthma, Hay Fever, Study Finds
- Acupuncture May Help Ease Hay Fever
- Fast Food Tied to Asthma, Eczema and Hay Fever in Kids
- Can Allergies Thwart Fatal Colon Cancer?
- That May Not Be a Cold, Could Be Fall Allergies
- Generic Singulair Approved
- Steroid Nasal Sprays Show Small Benefit for Sinusitis: Study
- Asthma an Often Unrecognized Risk for Older People
- Seniors Undertreated for Asthma, and Many Skip Inhalers: Study
- Worst Cities for Spring Allergies in 2012
- Relieve Ragweed Allergies Without Shots
- Pets, Dust May Worsen Ragweed Allergies