Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Diagnosis

How was your Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mei., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr virus infection 30 years ago. I had five months of constant headache, alternating fever and chills, brain fog and total fatigue. I went to bed tired and woke up tired. There were days I couldn't sleep at all and days I slept 20 hours and still woke up fatigued and with barely energy to get dressed. I felt lazy, slothful and stupid because I couldn't hold an intelligent thought. I felt like nobody believed it was real. I've been okay until April. It started with the fatigue all over again.

Comment from: LydiaW, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis at the age of 26. I am 43 now. When I was 21, I had pneumonia and then bronchitis shortly after, and started showing symptoms. It wasn't until I was 26 that I was properly diagnosed. My TSH levels had stabilized with Synthroid and I had no symptoms, until the birth of my daughter six years ago when I was 37. Since then, I've gained 50 pounds despite exercise and eating healthy, am extremely tired, and have very dry skin and some hair loss. Imagine being an elite runner and gaining 50 pounds and four dress sizes, while in training for a 10K. I had gone to the same endocrinology practice for almost 15 years, and have switched recently after being told that I was the one at fault for the weight gain and fatigue, because my TSH was in the normal range. The new endocrinologist told me that, although my TSH levels are in the normal range, they are not my normal, as everyone is different, and said he would steadily increase my dosage every few months until I feel better. He said, after reviewing my TSH tests from the past 10 years that my TSH level had spiked after the birth of my daughter. All I can say is, if you still feel lousy and your endocrinologist/doctor refuses to do anything different, fire them and find someone else. I should have done it much sooner. I now feel like I have a chance to run a 10K this year. I don't expect to lose the 50 pounds quickly, but I believe that I now will be able to at least lose enough of the weight to run a 10K again and see the other symptoms diminish.

Comment from: MN Girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had been on thyroid medicine for years. My TSH jumped. MY gynecologist is the one who caught it. I told her about the deep chills I had been having and the terrible muscle cramps I had been getting in my thighs. She did blood work and diagnosed Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Comment from: Esky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I had a lump in my thyroid which biopsy came back inconclusive, although blood tests show thyroid is working fine. The specialist gave me two options, one to remove the lump as to ensure there was no cancer or do nothing. I chose surgery as I was given 15 to 20 percent chance that it could be follicular neoplasm cancer. The biopsy of the tumor showed no cancer but Hashimoto's disease. Therefore I had inflammation of the thyroid but it was working fine. I am now recovering from the surgery of two weeks ago.

Comment from: Kat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have been fighting an uphill battle with my "former" family doctor for years. I knew something was wrong, I had anxiety, depression, rashes, hair falling out, weight loss, weight gain, lethargy, extreme fatigue, and those were the mild symptoms. Then came the Vitamin D deficiency, the B12 deficiency, I knew I had a multi-nodular goiter, but according to my doctor, if it wasn"t causing issues and my hormone levels were normal, then I didn"t need to have any additional tests run. Finally, this past year, after being officially diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic and dramatically altering my diet, and really changing my lifestyle, you would think, she must feel a lot better, nope, it made it worse. So, I started researching, basically self-diagnosed, and then changed doctors. Now I'm officially diagnosed with Hashimoto"s thyroiditis, but according to my current endocrinologist, I don"t need treatment, because even though my antibodies are outrageously high, my other levels are normal, so I should just live with all the other symptoms. So now I have a name for what's wrong with me, but still no treatment. Hard to find good health care, it's pretty bad when you have to diagnose yourself, then just get a doctor to confirm it.

Comment from: traci, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

Sudden onset of horrible sore throat, but I also have cough, headache and body aches, though no fever. I have tons of sinus drainage, and constantly having to cough and swallow. Strep Is positive, and flu negative.

Comment from: ANOMEl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I tested positive for TPO (thyroid peroxidase), level is 49 range is 0 to 9. My TSH is 2.15 and T4 is 1.15. I think my endocrinologist will not treat this although I haven't discussed the results yet, but basically he told me my symptoms are not thyroid. Others said this is Hashimoto's thyroiditis and it will get worse. I have a lot of the symptoms but not weight gain, although I do have fat pads under my arms and chin. I have type 1 diabetes also. The worst is the fatigue and brain fog and constipation. I'm feeling more fatigued each day. I am hoping if I can find someone to treat it I will feel better.

Comment from: Jerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I just got diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I was told by my doctor to wait for a few months to see if my totals will level off. Dealing with the military health care system really does make me a bit nervous. I just hope my HCP (health care professional) is as good as I think she is. I've only had the sleepless and aches and pain of the joints of which none are that extreme.

Comment from: LisaG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's this week however I suspect this has been a problem for years, but undiagnosed. I go to a family practice where I see a different doctor or nurse practitioner every time and finally I got one who tested for something different. After reading my chart and my current symptoms, he went immediately for thyroid issues, even though my last blood test showed my T4 staying in the good range. He ordered different blood tests than anyone had before. Most recently I've suffered with tinnitus (ear ringing) for weeks and what feels like mild hearing loss. This followed a string of other ailments with my digestive system over the last 6 months. I have also suffered from severe allergies for the last 7 years. The last two weeks I have been extremely tired and have had a hard time staying awake in the evenings, been extremely sluggish at work and had major brain fog. Other doctors have just dismissed everything as menopausal symptoms. I feel like finally we're on the right track. I have a thyroid ultra sound scheduled for next week. Hopefully forward progress from there.

Comment from: Lstw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's yesterday after going to the doctors for years; not one doctor ever checked my neck. I moved to another state and now have a new doctor who checked and saw that my lymph nodes were swollen and ordered an ultrasound. The ultrasound found a nodule on my thyroid and after a biopsy I was found to have Hashimoto's. What a relief! I have been having all these symptoms for years and had no idea what had caused them what a relief to now have an answer.

Comment from: NLynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

About 30 years ago, I went to a new primary care physician. Just by looking at my neck, he could tell I had hypothyroidism. He put me on levothyroxine and I've been on it all this time. I still had bouts of depression and was given an anti-depressant which has helped tremendously. Now in my late fifties, I was just told by my rheumatologist that I have Hashimoto's. He said it is what caused my hypothyroidism to begin with. My symptoms now include joint pain and dry skin. Apparently if you have arthritis, which I do, the Hashimoto's makes it worse. The doctor increased my dose of levothyroxine. My pain and stiffness is bearable, bit I'm sad I can't do things I used to do. I still have fatigue and dry skin. It's hard to say how much of this is simply caused by aging. I'm considering cutting out gluten from my diet. Now I'm on more medications, methotrexate and Plaquenil. I can't tell if they help or not.

Comment from: Birdy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I suspected thyroid problems since 2009 when I noticed gaping holes of missing eyelashes. From there it seemed like I had multiple problems one after the other. The hair on my legs and arms stopped growing, my oily skin became very dry, my hair was breaking off, I stopped perspiring under my arms, I had constipation, joint pain, digestive issues (nausea), I had to get a mouth guard for clenching my teeth, I had no sex drive, I was tired and had difficulty staying awake. I have never missed a period but they changed in a way that made me want a hysterectomy. My gynecologist and general doctor told me my blood work was fine (my TSH was 3.65). I went to a hormone specialist and she put me on Armour Thyroid even before my test came back, she was that sure. I've only been on it 2 weeks but my digestive system already feels better. Hoping for much improvement. Thyroid runs in my family. My sister is getting tested now too.

Comment from: xhiner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I suffered from extreme cold intolerance. I would wear a winter coat over my winter pajamas to bed in August and would still be so cold that I would shake. A couple of doctors tested my thyroid but not for antibodies. The last doctor said that my antibodies were too numerous to count, I have three sisters that have problems with their thyroid.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Having a family history of strokes, I signed up for a Lifeline Screening which included a carotid artery ultrasound to check for impaired blood flow; this screening detected a cyst on my left thyroid, and I was advised to consult my primary care physician. After other tests and scans including a needle biopsy, he ultimately diagnosed me with Hashimoto's. Had it not been for this ultrasound, I'd never have known I had Hashimoto's---all my TSH level tests on routine blood tests have always been normal---and while I have symptoms (frequently cold when others aren't, weight gain with inability to lose despite exercise or diet changes, et al), I would've ascribed it to normal aging.

Comment from: Mela, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I gave birth almost five months ago. When I went back to my OB/GYN for my 3 to 4 month check-up, I mentioned to him that I was tired, but chalking it up to having three children, with one being an infant. He decided to run tests just to be on the safe side. He ran Lymes, Thyroid, and Mono test. A few days later I received a call from his nurse saying that he wanted me to see my primary due to abnormal results, one being the Thyroid test. I saw my primary and I had him stumped. He said if he had to guess by the looks of my labs I may have Hashimoto's. He ran 20+ blood tests on me. He ran every thyroid test possible. He called me up a few days later and said he was right. All my blood tests lead to Hashimoto's and he wants me to follow up with an endocrinologists.

Comment from: y2kbytz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I feel so sorry for folks that get doctors that hang tight to test numbers and not to symptoms. When my thyroid looks normal and my TSH looks too suppressed, I still need thyroid hormones. And luckily I got a great doctor to think outside of the stuffy collared box! I use Armor Thyroid, because the synthetics don't make me well. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and I'm sure that's what made my thyroid go berserk. Anyway, I think my Hashimoto's has also hurt my ability to absorb B12. I had itchy skin, burning red hot rashes, swelling all over by body, hands, feet, and lips and it's all related to the B12 issue that is caused by an auto-immune issue. The good news, I got a doctor to read the test results, but treat my symptoms. By doing so, I can sleep, lose weight, and I'm feeling so good. My fibromyalgia is tame now and I'm so much happier than I use to be and I take B12 shots.

Comment from: Cvet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I'm 67, when I was about 20 years younger doctor found enlarged thyroid. Five years later I was having symptoms of hyperthyroidism, then hypo, and I could not understand why I was so full of energy for a week or two then flat on my face tired. Doctor tested my thyroid hormone level and is ok on the border. I have been struggling for years to find out what is wrong with me. Reading many medical books on thyroid I have concluded that I suffer from Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Now I am really suffering with all the symptom I have been mentioning here, I feel terrible feeling like a drowning person from day to day struggle to keep my head above depression, but the pain in my muscles have increased and all over my body, and weight gain which I never had problem. My hair also has turned so white in the last year, coarse and thin, my concentration is bad, and there are effects on my memory and function overall since I am so tired even to breathe. My sleep is just few hours, but I am sleepy all the time and can't sleep.

Comment from: Deen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I knew something was wrong for at least 6 years after chemotherapy treatments. The family doctors always said my TSH was in the normal range. My face was puffy, I had fluid retention, very mild depression, elevated cholesterol, snoring, bouts of laryngitis and weight gain of approximately 5Kgs. After a lot of research I found a doctor who uses traditional medical practice as well as naturopathy. They seem to be more on top of the latest research on the new TSH levels. Well, she put me on natural desiccated hormone therapy and in one week there was a big difference in how I was feeling. My weight is down and I sleep so much better.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

Today I was diagnosed with Hashimoto thyroiditis today after five months of feeling of "congestion" in my throat. My GP did a thyroid test and said it was OK. My anxiety soared, resulting in chest pains. I had an EKG and cardiac stress test – my heart tested OK. Gastrointestinal work (endoscopy, barium swallow, and esophageal manometry) followed to rule out GERD and esophageal spasming. It all came back normal. I sought out an ENT on my own just to have my throat checked by another doctor. An ultrasound of my thyroid was ordered and a .7-cm nodule was discovered. I was frustrated when the ENT said to just have the nodule checked again in two years and said that I had "globus hystericus." In other words, since I am middle-aged and female, it was all in my head. Determined to get a diagnosis, I sought out an endocrinologist who took a full history, did an exam of my neck and blood work, and just called me today with the diagnosis of Hashimoto's. I will follow up in three months to see what treatment will be needed. There is nothing like finding a thorough doctor.

Comment from: photopal67, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis after probably 10 years of symptoms. My GP had even had me on Synthroid at one point but I was taken off of it as my levels were moving too low toward hyperthyroid. I had been feeling worse and worse such as tired, foggy brain, lots of joint pain and was really getting down in the dumps about all of it. It was only when I had to have an MRI for an issue with my neck that the radiologist noticed what he thought were nodules on my thyroid. Finally, after being referred to an endocrinologist I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's and I am waiting for blood work to return to start treatment. I couldn't be more happy with finally having an answer for how I am feeling!

Comment from: Earthhollow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

During and after radiation for breast cancer, I experienced weight gain, fatigue, depression, memory issues and a raspy throat. At first I attributed these symptoms to the radiation. When the symptoms did not resolve, I went to my PCP for help with the weight gain. When I mentioned that my throat was raspy, my PCP ordered blood tests, suspecting a thyroid issue. I began to research thyroid disease and was absolutely convinced that I had hypothyroidism. When my blood levels came back within normal range, I was shocked and asked for additional tests. I went to four doctors before my Hashimoto's was diagnosed. Also, I had nodes that appeared to be malignant. My Hashimoto's was diagnosed only as a result of my persistence and determination to get relief from the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I underwent a total thyroidectomy a week ago and began taking Levothyroxine. I hope this brings relief to the symptoms.

Comment from: Mee-mee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I thought I was having cardiac problems. I had some chest pain and shortness of breath. I was feeling wiped out with no energy at all. I was extremely fatigued, not sleeping well, with extreme brain fog. I had a very sharp doctor who not only did an EKG, but lots of blood work. It turns out to be Hashimoto's thyroiditis. An ultrasound revealed nodules of which one might be biopsied if the next ultrasound does not show a reduction in size after being started on Synthroid. Such a slow process. I started on 25s then after 2 months up to 50s and then started feeling much worse after six weeks the doctor increased me to 75s. I was supposed to take it for one week then into 100s. Usually they like you to move up slower than that, but my labs became worse. My antibodies were over 700. I have never felt so terrible in my life. I was always so bubbly, now I can barely drag myself out of bed each day. Terrible weight gain too!

Comment from: tom, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

Thanks for the info, my sister called last week to let me know this is what she has, I have been dealing with Lupus for the past 15 years and I am a guy, recently I have had so many throat problems with no help from all the test and after my sister called last week I now realize most of the symptoms I have are related to this. Finally got the VA to realize something is wrong and hope to get in and see them in the next couple weeks. My eyes just started getting puffy and I have been so weak in the muscles lately VA did blood test and found nothing, now with this new info I am going back and hopefully they can get this under control. It is in my family history too though I am the only male who has had lupus. Thanks for the info.

Comment from: Joanie425, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's yesterday. I've been told I had a hyperthyroid for the past six years. It runs in my family so I didn't think much of it. I was on Methamazole for five years. My previous doctor told me to stop, so I did. The main problem I had was/is the puffy buggy eyes, goiter, and droopy eyelid. From September 2010 - June of 2011 I kept breaking out in to hives. I was told it was stress and I had anxiety. I was put on antidepressants for about four months. They helped a little. I started noticing my eyelid getting a little droopy again so I went to a new endocrinologist after a year of not taking any medication. I had an ultrasound of my thyroid, a thyroid scan and uptake, and a biopsy. I do have a nodule on the right lobe of my thyroid - they were testing for cancerous cells. I don't have cancer. Yesterday I was told I have Hashimoto's. My doctor didn't put me on any medications. She said I'm still in hyperthyroid mode and eventually it'll burn itself out. Could be six months, could be three years. When it finally does, THEN I'll be put on hormone to level out my thyroid.

Comment from: ames03, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I suffer from hashimotos thyrioditis and it was diagnosed when I was five, it is rare in children and I inherited the condition from both my parents. I have been on synthriod since age six and spent a lot of time in and out of the hospital as a child with this condition. I stopped growing and had several other issues that affected my immune system including juvenile RA. I am lucky my mother noticed the symptoms early as it could have been far worse. I know when my levels are off because I feel tired and cold and my joints hurt. However i have never had a weight issue in fact I have been under weight my entire life so don't think it is not possible to have this and be underweight. It's a simple blood test and to treat as an adult once your levels are stable is pretty easy. Know it can take time to stabilize your levels over many months and if you have it, and your children start to have immune issues ask them to check their levels to really it's a simple blood test and may help them get on a healthy lifestyle with less immune system issues.

Comment from: Nutritionfreak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

My disease was found when I made an appointment with an endocrinologist. I was having issues that I had previously talked to my family doctor about. I was told that I was having symptoms that were directly related to me getting older. I am only 37. Just about 4 years ago I started fighting with insomnia, loss of energy, and weight gain. I then had bouts of stomach disorders that were extremely painful from constipation. I also had dizzy spells that were then blamed on allergies. I put on 40 pounds in 4 years, and worked out 3 days a week and sometimes 4. I always ate healthy, and went on several diets including Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers. I ended up gaining and feeling worse. I could not understand it since I work as a manager at retail and I am moving on my feet constantly for 10 to 12 hours. I did not understand why I was still gaining weight. I also had times in the morning where I just felt awful and thought I had a fever. My temperature was 94. I thought my thermometer was broke so I tested on my son. He was normal, but I was not. I now after being healthy most of my life have monitored my blood sugar because they now say I am pre diabetic.

Comment from: anonymously, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I am 31 now and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's when I was 29. I had actually been showing the symptoms since high school, fatigue, irregular periods, cramps, dry skin, excessive shedding of hair, anxiety, and weight gain. Throughout that time the various doctors diagnosed me with general anxiety disorder; general fatigue due to school, work and sports; irregular periods due to sports, dry skin and hair due to Eczema, the weather and the pool, and being overweight due to diet. I have been on thyroid medicine for the last 2 years and the biggest difference I noticed was less dry skin and shedding and not feeling like I had to constantly push myself or run on adrenaline. I still struggle with my weight and continue to have irregular periods but I am hoping that with time these will level out.

Comment from: Fed up, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was put on thyroid meds at 28. I just had my left lobe removed due to a 4.5 inch nodule on it. They told me I have Hashimotos. You think they would have known this by now after all these years. I get headaches, fatigue, leg cramps, and dry patch on arm that inches all the time, sleepless nights, some hair loss, some weight gain. I am now 52. I hope all this ends now that I've had surgery. It's been a long 24 years.

Comment from: CathyLou99, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was diagnosed a month ago, and while I'm grateful that a finally have an answer to 15 years of symptoms, I wonder why it took so long. Recently, my doctor noticed a lump on my thyroid and sent me for an ultrasound. I have two nodules on my left lobe, one of which is 6.5 cm. I went to an endocrinologist, who did a FNA and blood tests. I have atypical follicular cells and am scheduled for a thyroid lobectomy (and possibly a total thyroidectomy) in a few weeks. I wonder why that doctor who first noticed my thyroid was enlarged 15 years ago (and several doctors I've seen since) never asked if I had any symptoms. I had no idea prematurely graying hair, puffy face, slight weight gain, aching joints and digestive problems were symptoms of a larger problem.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I had an initial appointment with a psychiatrist for depression, lethargy, low fever and agitation. The doctor took blood tests. Upon review of the tests, the psychiatrist referred me to an endocrinologist who diagnosed me with Hashimoto's. This diagnosis pulled together years of various undiagnosed symptoms and treatments for female problems.

Comment from: mdl, 35-44 Female Published: June 01

I was diagnosed with postpartum Hashimoto's thyroiditis with a goiter at 37 years old. My symptoms included fatigue, weight gain, an unproductive cough for almost a year, leg pressure, blood shot eyes all the time, and extremely itchy extremities. Listen to your body. My doctors told me I was fine, and I knew that I wasn't. Keep searching if you believe there is something not right, especially if you know your own body.

Comment from: L. A., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Well I haven't been "officially diagnosed with Hashimoto's although my sister has. The odd thing is we were both having similar symptoms at the same time 10 years ago and we didn't even realize it. The worst symptoms for me were anxiety, panic and depression, with unexplained rashes that would last for a week sometimes longer. For her it was more extreme tiredness, weight gain, and " brain fog". Unfortunately for me, I went undiagnosed for years and even now only been diagnosed with just hypo. What finally caused my diagnoses was of all things "a kidney stone" which was huge and even caused my M.D. to shutter. When the doc sat me down to tell me the results of my tsh tests I almost broke down crying at the sheer relief. Only because all those years I knew something just wasn't right but was told by other docs "Everything looks normal." The point is we as humans know our own bodies, and if something doesn't feel right, don't be ashamed or to frustrated to get a proper diagnosis. Even if it takes multiple trips to different docs to finally validate what you knew all along. I plan on discussing Hashimoto's with my MD and hopefully she will be willing to at least listen and do the necessary test.

Comment from: Hurts in Va. Beach, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had a pea sized knot on my right lope. My family doctor was giving a check up so I could start school in 2001. He had been watching the knot and said it had changed in size. So he sent me for test. They found knots on both sides and the one showed up funny. So they sent me to another doctor an ENT. He said lets watch it and I said let's take it out. So we took it out and it was cancer. They should of taken both sides out. I have Hashimoto's too. So Now I am having a lot of problems with my left side.

Comment from: mommyof3, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I am 22 and have Hashimotos. I have had basically every symptom associated with this illness. Irregular periods, migraines, cold intolerance, hair loss, dry hair, trouble concentrating, fatigue, cardiac dysrythmia, etc. I have seen different specialist for 2 years now and only got a firm diagnosis 2 months ago but still no meds. I now have to have a CT scan of my head, ultrasound of my thyroid, and ultrasound of my heart and possibly an EKG. This is not something that should be taken lightly I have pretty severe symptoms and it interferes with my daily life. I have 3 children and can't afford to be brought down by this. I am seeing another DR to see if I will FINALLY be prescribed some meds. Hoping they can finally fix this.

Comment from: thankfullpn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was fortunate that because of my family's strong history of thyroid problems, father had graves disease, mother has hypothyroid and an Aunt has HT, I was tested yearly starting at a very young age. I never had symptoms my blood work just suddenly came back abnormal when I was 25. I do on occasion have some symptoms but have been well controlled on a low dose of levothyroxin. I have thyroid ultrasounds about every 3 years to monitor my nodules. My daughter is also closely monitored and so far so good. She is expecting her first child in August and they will be watching her thyroid very closely during and after her pregnancy. Know your family history, it is so important..

Comment from: TX&VA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I started feeling something in my throat. It was hot, tender and in the night felt like it pushed upward. Nothing was found during an office visit. I was sure something was there so I insisted that my doctor schedule some type of test to see what was there. They found a tumor on the right lobe of my thyroid. It was very large. So I had surgery, and they found cancer in the right side only. I still have the left lobe. However, the surgeon told me the day after the operation that I had hashimoto's thyroiditis. He said the entire area was full of inflammation and he understood why I felt like it was hot and tender. I still have issues, soreness; I do not understand why the left side was not removed.

Published: January 19

I started breaking out in hives that started on the bottom of my feet and hands and then worked their way up the backs of my legs, back, arms, and face. The outbreaks would last anywhere from weeks to months. I saw so many doctors and had numerous allergy testing. Finally, I found a doctor that tested my thyroid antibody level and found it was extremely elevated. The hive outbreaks always coincide with my levels being elevated. Unfortunately, I was told nothing could treat it. Allegra does help with the hives. Other symptoms include excess sleepiness, dry brittle nails, cold feeling, heavy periods, low energy, mild depression, and I do have higher cholesterol. My father has hypothyroidism and he told me his mother had a goiter.

Comment from: Puzzled......, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am missing half my thyroid and no surgery! My Mother died at the age of 45 years with primary biliary cirrhosis. I was 8. I was a premature baby at 4 lb., only girl and youngest of 4. I was found to have goiter on my thyroid at age 27. I have taken Armour 2 gr since. I have always been sickly! In 2013 I couldn't get 2 gr Armour so the doctor changed it to 1 gr twice a day. Sometime later I went downhill. I had all kinds of problems. I couldn't walk across the room, my chest would stop me in my tracks. I thought I was having a heart attack. Doctor did a heart catheterization. All was ok, in good shape. Something good, but that didn't help the symptom! Since it wasn't my heart, it must be in my head; stress etc.

Comment from: AlwayzSmiling, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I ended up having a period that lasted a total of 19 days, with a few days off here and there. I was passing these huge clots, and had to change my pad several times within an hour. I also had this horrible pressure in my pelvic region. Finally went to the ER one day when I continuously passed clots longer than an hour. I found out I was anemic, and told to follow up with a GYN. I had an endometrial biopsy, sonohysterogram and hysteroscopy with a D&C done in a matter of a few weeks. Found out on Dec. 2, 2014 that I have endometrial cancer. A total hysterectomy is scheduled for Dec. 31st, 2014. I am 39 years young.

Comment from: deb5734, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I just had my anti thyroglobulin level checked and it was 787! My thyroglobulin AB is 233.41. My T4 free and TSH are normal. I also have a nodule in my thyroid. I also have scar tissue (no reason given).

Comment from: ktp2131, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

It took 20 years of suffering before I got a Hashimoto's diagnosis (both my daughters got diagnosed in their 20s). I have been on medication for 20 years, but visited a new doctor today who told me I couldn't have it because a thyroid nodule biopsy cannot be used to diagnose. If I've learned anything in all these years it is that you know your body and keep looking until you find a medical professional who will listen to what you are telling her/him.

Comment from: Mouse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I was diagnosed in my early 20's. I was tired, had weight gain and developed a lump in my throat. My general practitioner sent me to a specialist and I was started on Synthroid. I'm now 47 and had a partial thyroid removal about 12 years ago.

Comment from: n.o. body listens, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I am a 52 year old female who is tired, with joint pain, tingling fingers, mental fog and Hashimotos. I went to endocronoglist and she basically said, I was obese, lacked stimulation as a house wife, and may have sleep apneia. I am a housewife because I am too tired and foggy to go back to work. I also had severe period and ended up with a uteraine ablassion to stop the bleeding. I thought surgery would help by reducing the anemia. There was some relief but I hurt, can't sleep, sweat, have body temp of 96 degrees, developed dry scalp, and have brittle nails. The Dr. said just monitor every year. How bad do I have to feel to find relief? I am trying selnium, calcium, magnesium and multi-vitamin. I wish I could type but I am too tired to look up correct spellings.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I am 27 I had the right side of my thyroid removed, and they found out that I had Hashimoto's.

Comment from: rose_pearl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I knew I was tired, but having had previous checks, I was (and still am) fairly certain that it's due to chronic sleep deprivation. I'm not very good at going to bed early. However, when I had a raft of other blood tests done to check my immunity levels for work, my doctor threw in a thyroid function test. I had previously been to the doctor for a slightly enlarged thyroid, after being nagged about it by my sister, a doctor, but an ultrasound and blood tests found nothing. This time my TSH was well above the normal range, and I was found to Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I'm on medication, and not stoked to find out that I'll probably be on it for the rest of my life, but am glad that treatment is available and easy. I'm especially glad my doctor picked this up, as I'm three months pregnant with my third child and I know how low thyroid function can increase the risk of miscarriage and birth defects.

Comment from: lernyville, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I've had hypothyroid disease since my 20s. I had a routine blood test done, and that's when it showed I had Hashimoto's. Now I need to see an endocrinologist for more Synthroid, I guess. It seems like the doctors don't really care much about discussing this issue or doing further testing for conditions like RA, celiac, etc. I've been so tired and feel like I was going crazy…but I'm getting better.

Comment from: ZarBomba, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 06

No, you aren't depressed. Neither are you crazy or lazy. Get your thyroid tested, because if you find yourselves here, you're likely suffering from Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, and have been for a long time. A gracious thank you to all those who left their story here. You saved my life.

Comment from: dorothy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 05

I have a friend suffering with this. I am trying to find her a doctor to treat her. Since she has Medicaid and Medicare as her insurance, I've found it hard to find her a doctor. Nothing seems to help her and her previous doctor gave her no hope.

Comment from: jacks, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I was diagnosed with Hasimoto's disease after a rollercoaster of weight gain/loss and depression. I'm feeling much better now that I know my diagnosis. For a long time, people would say, “It's all in your head.” That was the worst part.

Comment from: Mrs. Mann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was diagnosed 13 months ago with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I noticed after the birth of my baby that my menstrual cycle was very heavy. I was told by family that it was because I had just had my tubes tied. Well it went on for a year without being diagnosed. During this year I was experiencing mood swings, depression, dry skin, hair loss, an extremely heavy menstrual cycle and major fatigue. I was so fed up with the heavy menstrual cycle and cramps that I went to see my gynecologist. She ran some blood tests and the labs showed that I had a vitamin D deficiency and my TSH was 22. I chose an endocrinologist who confirmed the lab results and I was immediately started on levothyroxine. I am now on 0.112mg of Synthroid because my body doesn't respond well to the generic. I have been bouncing back and forth between hyper- and hypothyroidism which I was told was normal for the first full year because my thyroid is still producing thyroid hormones.

Comment from: Isah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I am a 19 year old female who was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I've loved sleep my whole life but I knew something wasn't right when I could sleep the whole day away and still wake up exhausted and just an overall lack of energy. Along with fatigue I have also been depressed and a little constipated.

Comment from: 42 yr old mum, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

After having my first son at the age of 34 I felt very tired. At first I put it down to just being a new mom, then I noticed I was losing a lot of weight, about 1/2 pound each day. This went on for a month or so, then I felt I had swallowed a nut and kept clearing my throat. I than noticed how thirsty I was all the time. I went to the doctor and within two weeks was seen by a specialist. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and put on 50 mg. This did nothing at all and it took me a year to get my dose right. I take 150mg/175mg every other day. I know when I'm really tired I take 175mg for a couple of days to put me back on track.

Comment from: lisies, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I've always had bulging eyes, hair loss, sensitive to cold, and tiredness. After gaining 30 pounds over a 2 month summer, my mother finally said I needed to be tested. I went to a specialist, who diagnosed me with Hashimoto Thyroiditis. My goiter was off the charts, super enlarged. It was a shock to everyone because normally it's diagnosed to people from age 45 to 65. I was only 16. Until this day, not much has changed, I still have the same problems. Now with muscle failure and celiac disease. I just take it day by day.

Comment from: erika, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I remember being diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroid disease when I was 22 years old. It was shortly after I had my son. I was always wondering what was wrong with me. I was always depressed and tired. My hair is always thinning out and breaking. I have dark circles under my eyes. I am always cold too! For years I took the medication for it. I remember I went for a check-up and was told I didn't have a single thing wrong for my thyroid anymore. I was exercising every day and eating right, lost weight and seemed really good. When I became pregnant again in 2009 I began to feel all weird and knew it was my hormones. After I delivered my son in 2010, my thyroid levels for really high and my doctor put me on a high dosage of the thyroid medication. I started to feel a little better a couple months later. I feel I'm getting back to my normal after two years of having my son. Taking your meds and eating right and lots of exercise really help to diminish the depression, and fatigue.

Comment from: Ballarat Australia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have had many symptoms for at least a few years. Three doctors told me I was fine. Then I read Jillian Michaels' book “Master Your Metabolism" and it got me interested in hypothyroidism. I ordered a test from a fourth doctor but the test was half done and she said I was fine. So I took the test to a fifth doctor demanding a proper test, and turn out I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Comment from: Amye, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

The first GP told me I was depressed and I should buy a pet or take an art class! The second GP ran tests and found a TSH of 56, undetectable T4 and T3 levels, and an antibody count of 464. I have hypothroidism due to Hashimoto's!

Comment from: KarenZ, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed about a year ago with Hashimoto's thyroiditis after having really bad headaches often, which was about the only symptom I recognized. My doctor referred me to an endocrinologist and I got some blood tests done proving I had Hashimoto's and was promptly put on synthroid.

Comment from: rkmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Over the last few years I had been having really heavy menstrual bleeding. My doctor wanted to put in progesterone IUD, which helped for a couple of years. I also have fibroids, so they were unsure whether the fibroids were the cause of the bleeding. Then I began having bouts of crazy bleeding -- once I bled so much I almost passed out. The doctor I saw after that episode had my TSH levels checked and they were high, though not extremely high. She had me follow up in a few months with my regular doctor, and again the results were high. Eventually, almost by accident I got sent to an endocrinologist who had me tested for Hashimoto's and was put on thyroid meds. In retrospect I had been having odd symptoms -- occasional bouts of shoulder pain, sore feet, cold sensitivity, thinning hair, and dry skin. I feel much better now after a few months on medication. Definitely you need to advocate for yourself if you think something is wrong--it seemed to me that even the endocrinologist goes by the numbers on the test results and not by symptoms. Everyone kept telling me I was going through menopause, but menopause alone wasn't causing all my symptoms!

Comment from: DB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

After 10 plus years of swings and roundabouts - finally on thyroid meds. Swings of fatigue, then hyper anxiety, heart palpitations hair loss, infertility, gall bladder, ectopic pregnancy, doctor put me on anti-depressant. Depression meds almost caused divorce, my TSH always relatively low. Diagnosed with very high Hashimoto's thyroiditis antibodies 5 years ago - still nothing done. Then fatigue, weight gain, swollen thyroid and slight raise in TSH and lowered T3 T4, finally on Synthroid, this is just the beginning but now I can affirm I am not crazy! Doctors, please go by symptoms and not TSH alone! I am an athlete and I know my body! Nobody wants this electively!

Comment from: headagainsthesky, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was 19 when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. It presented with insomnia, anxiety attacks, and the feeling of something pressing against my throat. The labs that were run showed no inconsistencies in my thyroid levels and only seemed to cause doctors to try to think of other options. Eventually they began with ultrasounds in which they discovered a 2.7 cm nodule on the left lobe of my thyroid.

Comment from: ALLORA MacMahon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

Thanks to an endocrinologist who simply drew labs, my Hashimoto's thyroiditis went untreated for six years because my labs were normal. It finally took an eye condition for my ophthalmologist to say I needed thyroid hormones. My allergist also agreed! Of course, now I've gained 20 pounds and have permanent damage to my eyes.

Comment from: 57kate75, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I was finally diagnosed a little over a year ago, after telling doctors something was wrong for years. My whole family has dysfunctional thyroids. The endo I was sent to hasn't really done anything since the diagnoses; my family doc is the one monitoring me. I have goiters, extreme fatigue, weight gain, depression and brain fog that is at time scary. Somedays it is a struggle to function normally through the day at my job, I am only 53 years old and at times feel like I am 83. And if that isn't enough, my thyroid levels are what everyone in the medical field thinks is "normal". All I ask is please treat the symptoms not the numbers and maybe I will feel better! Thanks for the opportunity to speak my piece.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I felt very tired and grumpy for a few months and assumed I had low iron levels as I had in the past. The doctor checked my blood and discovered I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Comment from: tblauvelt, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

Eight months after I had my daughter I had about two hypoglycemic episodes a week. After a month of trying to regulate my blood sugar on my own through dietary changes I had enough and went to an endocrinologist. Through blood work I was told I had subclinical hypoglycemia. After further testing months later I have been told today that I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Comment from: mona j., 35-44 Female Published: November 09

I was just diagnosed today with Hashimoto's Disease. I have been on Levoxyl for 14 years and about 6 months ago I had to take B12 pills. Now I have to have the injections of B12 now. It was really hard to differentiate between the hypothyroid and the B12 deficiency. My thyroid level was a 2! I have never seen that number ever. The only other concern I have is that my calves and ankles have been swelled for the past 2 months. I'll be at the doctor in three weeks, because she told me to not take my cholesterol pills.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I have a degree in medical technology so knew I had a thyroid problem. However, I could not convince doctors despite strong family history and overt symptoms (cold, hair loss, fatigue, dry skin and hair, muscle cramps, depression, weight gain). Once the TSH hit the magic number of 5.5, I was put on Synthroid which really improved the conditions. My TPO keeps increasing now up to 332 (normal is <35). My last TSH was 9+ which means Synthroid will have to be increased.

Comment from: Amanda, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 25

My 14 year old daughter has had auto-immune thyroiditis for 2 years. She is now being treated for chronic fatigue syndrome although I am convinced it is all related to thyroiditis. It is misleading because they symptoms are similar i.e. fatigue, leg pains, and headache. However, she has felt nauseous every day or as she puts is feels 'car sick.' Not many thyroid symptoms mention feeling sick. She has been on thyroxin all this time gradually reducing from 250 mcg/day to 150 but doesn't seem to be improving.

Comment from: Di, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

Two years in remission from Lymphoma, chemo, radiation I was still so exhausted, dry skin, excessive tiredness even after 12 hours sleep. A regular blood test picked up low thyroid levels. I had the choice to start some meds now or wait to do another bloods in 6 weeks and an ultrasound to give a baseline. As I don't work, my kids are grown and gone what is another 6 weeks of feeling like this? No problem at all. Glad to find out I wasn't just a lazy slug.

Comment from: Nan D., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I ignored my extreme fatigue, unexplained weight gain and joint pain for two years. Unfortunately, I listened to the Weight Watchers people who said that I was not trying hard enough to lose weight. In July, I went to my doctor & told her that I am very busy and feel like I can barely make it through a day. I also cannot sleep. She immediately ran a blood test that on firmed the diagnosis of HT. Now we are trying to achieve a fine balance with adjusting the Synthroid.

Comment from: believer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I went from doctor to doctor for 4 years, just to be told that I needed to go on a diet program and nothing was wrong. The doctors only ran the basic blood tests. I finally found a great doctor and told him that I wanted him to treat the symptoms and not the test results. He ran the whole thyroid test and found that I had Hashimotos and autoimmune. He put me on bioidenticals thyroid meds, supplements and every 6 months he is re-evaluating my dosage and is increasing dosages until my levels are close to normal.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I was first diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism, but was having a problem keeping my weight down. Three months later, when I went back to get my blood drawn again, and my doctor said that my thyroid levels were significantly low. I had been exhausted and my muscles always ached. I had dry hair and some other mild symptoms. When I was fourteen, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Comment from: anonymous, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am a 17 year old female with Hashimoto Thyroiditis. I was diagnosed at the age of 12. I caught it quite early therefore, There were not many visible symptoms. My mother noticed a lump in my neck (goiter) at a normal doctors appointment for a cold and got him to check it out, and we found out I had the disease. The only noticable symptom I remember is fatigue. There is also a history of thyroid problems in my family.

Comment from: DNA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 20 months ago. The initial signs were extreme tiredness, weight gain and excessive hair loss, blood tests confirmed this disease. I am yet to be medicated as the levels are rising slowly, which is annoying as the symptoms are affecting my family and my current studies.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am 15 years old and was 12 years old when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. My symptoms where very bad joint pain, always cold, always tired, swelling of my legs, puffy face and eyes, and a swollen thyroid. I have now been on medication since, I see a specialist every six months, and get frequent blood work done.

Comment from: thyroid sufferer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Having been diagnosed since the age of 23 with Hypothyroidism and treated for years with synthroid, I suddenly started having extreme symptoms at the age of 67 and was given an ultrasound which showed many small nodules in the Thyroid. I was sent to an endocrinologist and he diagnosed Hashimoto's. I have since retired to a small town and am seeing a nurse practitioner for regular care.

Comment from: Carol VO, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I have multiple sclerosis and as a result developed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I was losing weight and did not know why. I was diagnosed as hyperthyroid. I am taking .112 of Synthroid. I am now losing hair and gaining weight. I believe that the dosage has taken me in the wrong direction.

Comment from: BigTall, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

My first bout with this disease, happen two months ago. I am rare "a male" just diagnosed due to heart arrhythmia, high blood pressure of 160/100 with heart rate of 110/130 on the couch sitting. I couldn't sleep, my body couldn't regulate its temp, and I had hot flashes all the time. Thought I had Graves, I was very "hyper" until the uptake and scan, I went off meds and haven't been on them for a month, I thought what gives? Glad I found out quickly, my Doc. is great- go get treated and ask for testing, you'll feel 100% better when you do! I feel there is SO MUCH more linked to the Endo. system in our bodies then we realize!

Comment from: hypo & hyper, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I am 32 and have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease. It began with hyperthyroidism with the symptoms (panic attacks, anxiety, shortness of breath, excessive weight loss, tremors (shakes), headaches, rapid heart rate, sweating, nervousness, tiredness. My doctor said that I will have spurts of both hypo and hyper. This was discovered by regular checkups. I am on extra tablets now; I hope that it can be regulated as it can be sometimes embarrassing when I have the shakes in public when people don't know that I have this disease.

Comment from: suha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I had attacks of hashimoto thyroiditis after each delivery. I had 3 boys at the 1st and 2nd postpartum periods my endocrinologist asked me to choose between lactation and medication. I didn't take any drugs to breastfeed my babies. The 3rd time I took a plant called Marjoram it's for hormonal balance after 3 days of drinking it twice daily I felt o.k. and my lab result went to normal levels.

Comment from: Hannahdale, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am a 48 year old female going through premenopause. I have had weird symptoms the last couple of months and have had every thyroid blood test they do and are all normal. Last Friday the endo did an ultrasound of my thyroid and found it enlarged with a nodule. He told me I have Hashimoto's disease and we'll have to keep a close eye on the nodule. He put me on a low dose T3 and after the 1st dose in the morning I finally was able to sleep mostly through the night. My symptoms have been insomnia, muscle twitching and sometimes jerking at night which disrupts my sleep, dry thinning hair, muscle aches, depression, anxiety attacks, and heart palpitations. I feel like I'm getting a double whammy from both conditions and it has been a roller coaster ride!

Comment from: Helen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had developed a golf ball sized lump on the left side of my neck. It wasn't protruding, but I felt constricted and had difficulty swallowing. I was diagnosed at age 42 (same as my father and his mother) with a goitre on my thyroid. This was tested by a biopsy, but they couldn't tell definitely whether it was cancerous or not. Two weeks later it was removed. I have been living with Hashimoto's Syndrome ever since (now 57). My weight has gradually increased, but I am fit and active.

Comment from: vettelady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

My symptoms varied. I initially lost all of my energy. I went from jogging 30 miles a week to barely 10 miles a week. I began to sleep a lot. I once even feel a sleep at a signal light. Very scary. Hair falling out, extremely cold hands and feet, cracked dry skin. The last straw was my throat feeling like someone was in there with rake. Totally losing my voice many times, I finally decided to see a doctor. Low and behold Hashimoto's. I was diagnosed at 45. Today I am on levoxyl but have struggles with weight and although I work out very hard, I still struggle with my weight..

Comment from: Ren2 aqua, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

Had hypothyroid symptoms since my early 20's and despite a blood test yearly I knew somthing was wrong. I never conceived a child. Then in my mid 50's a diagnosis was made of Hashimoto's thyroiditis at the time I was also diagnosed with Crohn's and Ulcerative colitis. I now am on Synthoid but many symptoms still occur as cold intolernace and weight gain despite activity increase and food reduction.

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 08

I had bloodwork done recently for my Hashimoto's thyroiditis and it was found to be abnormal in the levels. I was experiencing symptoms that I thought were related to menopause, apparently they mimic each other to a certain degree. Well my anitibody levels are extremely elevated therefore I will be on Synthroid for the rest of my life.

Comment from: josie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

Last year at age 35 I noticed a lump at the front of my throat in April. I was not aware of any other symptoms to start with and went to my GP who took blood tests at regular intervals believing I was either hyperthyroid or hypothyroid. When the blood tests gave differing results, at first showing I was under-active then over-active and fluctuating between the 2, I was then sent for an ultra sound. This was also inconclusive and I then had to have a thyroid scan with injected radiation. This showed a toxic nodule but was also deemed inconclusive so I was sent for a biopsy which again was inconclusive. In July just before my 36th birthday I was advised that due to the results of all the varying tests there was a possibility that I had a cancerous tumor which would have to be removed by surgery. It was only after my operation to remove the left half of my thyroid and tests were conducted on the removed portion that I received a diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Comment from: Briana, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

Started with the symptoms of hypothyroid, I was falling asleep in school, always cold, had the worst menstrual cycles, went to a doctor and he wanted to check my thyroid with a simple blood test, took it and said that it was very low "Too high in the low" had me sent over to a thyroid doctor where I told her all my symptoms and she wanted to check for Hashimoto's. Yes, I have this disease, I was diagnosed at 16, and I am only 17 years old. Very frustrating and stressful. I have to take a pill for the rest of my life.

Comment from: alison, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I went to a Naturopathic Doctor because I was feeling very lethargic sleeping day and night and very bad sweats and general unwell. I am 73 years of age but still getting sweats from lack of progesterone. The Naturopath had very extensive blood tests taken as I have a history of thyroid problems in my family. I was wet day and night from the sweats, then about 4 months ago my voice started to get very rough and swallowing in left side of throat was a little difficult.

Comment from: Laura, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had lost 45 lbs. through a weight loss program. I was feeling great! Suddenly, I began to feel like I had 2 fists pressing against my throat, heart palpitations, fatigue, depression, and I gained the weight back. At times I felt lightheaded and dizzy. During a routine medical exam I mentioned my symptoms to the PA that I see and she referred me to an endocrinologist who performed a biopsy and blood work. The biopsy was non-cancerous. My Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosis was in 2005. As of 2011 I have been off of medication following bariatric surgery. The nodule is stable and I still have yearly visits with the endocrinologist.

Comment from: ksmithde, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

After the ultrasound showed something on my thyroid, a biopsy was done. The growth was benign but showed it co-existed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter