Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment

What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Pj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I've spent the last four years in pain and searching for an answer. For me avoiding gluten and maltodextrin has helped dramatically with inflammation. Finally I found a doctor who would address my Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hormone imbalance. I'm doing better but there is still too much inflammation. So I need to get tighter with my food. I've been cheating lately and I feel it. My advice is that if you aren't getting any relief look at the S.H.I.N.E protocol. My pain levels were so high that I had zero testosterone so it's no wonder that I felt so bad. It is diet, stress management, thyroid, hormones, and sleep apnea, along with proper pain management. I use medical marijuana. CBD patches are a godsend. No high, just pain relief. Unfortunately insurance doesn't cover it. But opiates are free. So hang in there and keep looking for what you need to feel normal again.

Comment from: giddyupbronco, 25-34 (Patient) Published: December 17

I've been dealing with Hashimoto's thyroiditis for the past 6 years but have been on Synthroid since I was in my 20s. I recently switched to natural thyroid and gone on a paleo, dairy, and gluten free diet. I exercise regularly and have been feeling so much better. There is a Hashimoto's cook book I've been inspired to use and I have found, to be creative with my foods is making a difference. The best thing is to talk with an endocrinologist.

Comment from: MN Girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

A higher dose of levothyroxine and a gluten free and dairy free diet have been my treatment for Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Comment from: Pamela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I have had Hashimoto's thyroiditis for two years, it was triggered by the Epstein–Barr virus (EBV). I have been on Armour Thyroid at different dosages for this time period with no relief of symptoms at all. I am looking for some medicines that will alleviate this intense muscle pain that I have daily, and the anxiety and sleeplessness.

Comment from: Clone, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's over three months ago by an endocrinologist. He said I had had it for a very long time. I would get ill but always thought it was chronic mononucleosis which I had been diagnosed with. I would have 2 good years and then two bad years picking up every virus that came around. I have taken levothyroxine for a long time. Now the endocrinologist is treating me for 6 months. I can't eat sugar, gluten, or dairy. I have lost 25 pounds in 3 months but still don't feel well and have no energy or stamina. My TSH has changed and I need to have my doctor decrease the dosage which may have something to do with how I feel. I have taken an anti-inflammatory treatment and RepairVite. Next week I will see what is next.

Comment from: Ina, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

My Hashimoto's thyroiditis was diagnosed with a blood test and I am not on medication for it. I feel tired a lot of the time, find it hard to lose the few kilos that I need to lose and never really feel well. I keep myself busy and have a lot of recipe books too choose from too make sure I eat healthy.

Comment from: Flor del la Montana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I am getting no care for my Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I do not have access to proper medical care in my rural area. I need advocacy and do not know where to find any.

Comment from: Hutch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

The disease was found during an anti body test. Since then I have had my thyroid removed and I have been trying to balance my medication of over 3 years. I have been told that my body is very sensitive and that minor changes cause my medication to not balance. I believe my levels are off because now I am feeling the joint and muscle pain and my hair is falling out. However, I do know that when my levels are good, I feel so much better.

Comment from: Nila, Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's last week through blood tests. I take a Synthroid, but I have heard about another medicine called Naltrexone prescribed for patients with other autoimmune disease such as MS and cancer. I heard a low dosage of it is very helpful in treating autoimmune hypothyroidism in a way that it can stop antibodies from not attacking the thyroid cells and cure the problem. I have asked my GP about it but she does not have any idea about it. I hope somebody could help if has any information on it.

Comment from: maria, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's almost two years ago through blood tests. I take a synthroid called Levothyroxin, but there are other options as well. Talk to your regular doctor or OBGYN about blood tests if you feel there are symptoms, and if there are warning signs you will be referred to an endocrinologist who will prescribe your medication and/or dietary regulation.

View the Hyperthyroidism Slideshow Pictures