Patient Comments: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Symptoms

The symptoms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: youlovetwiggy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I've been suffering with hypothyroid since I was about 20 or 21, I am now almost 25. I've been skinny all my life due to being on stimulants for my ADHD (attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder). My weight didn't really start to bother me till after years of being bullied and having self-image problems that increased in my 20s because of the sudden weight gain I had. In a matter of two weeks I had gained 26 pounds from being just 100 pounds before. People started to make really hurtful fat jokes which caused me to eat even more, and I ended up gaining 36 pounds. After being diagnosed with hypothyroid it took me about two years to lose all the weight. I'm sure it probably didn't help that they had me on the wrong dosage of medicine for so long. I eventually lost all the weight and for the remainder of the time I have been skinny again. I have on and off been taking my medicine correctly because I don't want to only weigh 100 pounds which is where my body keeps me when the thyroid medicine is working. So I wouldn't take it right and at least I'd gain 10 pounds and feel better about myself, but I suddenly started getting sick. I'd wake up crying because my body ached so badly. I had just started a new job I thought it was from all the heavy lifting. The aching had been on and off, it's frustrating because I have had depression, fatigue, aches, swelling, hate being touched by cold stuff, and all of a sudden, even now as I am typing, my wrists feel so tight in the joints. I can't even begin to explain what the pain feels like and no one understands. I was even more depressed than I normally am with my mental disorders and I just wasn't getting better. I finally found out about a week ago I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I am just upset because it is my fault, and now I'll never get rid of it. I am still working and I am still in pain; I just want some relief. Some days are just so bad but I am tired of taking pain killers, anti-inflammatory pills, pain patches and creams, I just want to feel better.

Comment from: MaDinger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have had hypothyroidism since I was trying to conceive our daughter. Thirty years have passed and now I had an emergency room visit recently because it felt like my heart was pounding in my chest, throat and neck. They admitted me and told me my thyroid levels were good and my heart was normal, after all the testing. They sent me home and scheduled an appointment with my regular physician. She did many tests and found out I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis and my thyroid peroxide levels were almost double! She increased my levothyroxine. This explains why I have not been able to lose weight after exercising an hour a day. I am now gluten free for 8 days and have lost 8 pounds!

Comment from: Cali, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I am new to Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease if that is what it is. I have had a low thyroid since 2011 and just this past winter had a very bad experience with the 'winter blues' as they called it. So very tired, all I wanted to do was sleep, very cranky, couldn't stand the cold temperatures to even walk my dog, felt very sluggish, slowed mind, slow moving, muscle fatigue in my arms at times, swollen throat it felt most of the time. It took all that I had to work out most of the time. Finally in March I went to the doctor, because I couldn't stand myself anymore. Doctor says thyroid levels were fine, but that I was 'sad' due to winter. I was very low on vitamin D, and potassium. Once summer came and after taking vitamin D and potassium, I felt a lot better, but still not myself. Finally my doctor referred me to an endocrinologist who found out that I had Hashimoto's. So I guess that it doesn't matter that levels might be fine, but it does matter that your gland isn't working properly. I got my Synthroid upped to a higher dose, and it's been only a couple weeks, but I am feeling better; a little tired at times, but nothing like before!

Comment from: Jackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

For the last 7 years I was having problems with headaches, enlarged joints, and severe abdominal pain. I also had bouts of dizziness and hair loss. Weight gain for no reason. I just wanted to sleep all the time! I have seen a neurologist and endocrinologist, plus my general physician (GP). They did several thousand dollars' worth of tests, which I am still paying for and I finally fired them all except for my GP. I have and have had for many years diverticulitis disease. So I called him to see me for this stomach pain. He looked at all my records for the last 5 years and said I need to be on medications for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Now I ask how can he tell, and not an endocrinologist, because some of them are just in it for the money. I had normal levels TSH, T4 and T3 so they never looked any farther. All my headaches are gone! All my stomach pains are gone! The pain in my joints is lessening every day! My hair has stopped falling out! My weight has stabilized! So, I say do not give up, just stay positive and keep seeing doctors! It has been only 5 months for me on medications and I feel so much better! I now have nodules in my thyroid but they are noncancerous so we are leaving them be for the present time. Hope you all find relief. I know how terrible it is! Because I am 54 they thought some of it was my midlife issues!

Comment from: Pajamma Flannel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I was 53 when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis but I believe I've had it for most of my life. Ever since a child I have always been freezing cold. I wear jackets in the house and wear two winter jackets in winter. I've been plagued with constipation my entire life, and have battled fatigue and depression. When I was 32 I went into premature ovarian failure. For over 20 years I went to doctors telling them that I thought something was wrong with my thyroid. Finally, some doctor did figure it out with appropriate tests. Had this been discovered back when I was a child, I'm sure I would have had a much better life.

Comment from: Angela, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis at fourteen years old and have been struggling with it ever since. I have every single symptom and just recently got my dose of Synthroid upped to 50 mcg, it is extremely frustrating dealing with the symptoms and knowing this will be around for the rest of your life. I feel like I am doing badly in school because it is so hard for me to stay awake and focused.

Comment from: DebJDavis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

My symptoms on the onset of Hashimoto's thyroiditis were constipation, weight gain and fatigue.

Comment from: lyslys, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

For the past year I thought I was going crazy. I was chronically tired all the time, to the point of not wanting to hang out with friends and getting frustrated if I knew I would not make it to bed on time. I have been irritable to the point where my mother told me everyone around me thought I was having mood swings. Then all of a sudden I gained almost 30 pounds in the past 3 months and I never gain weight. I haven't changed my eating habits either. My gynecologist said my thyroid panel was fine but my endocrinologist found the antibody and the number was very high although my TSH was fine. He diagnosed me with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and put me on Synthroid but for the past week I have had really bad nausea, chills, and anxiety as side effects. I don't know what to do! I only recently found all this out maybe 2 weeks ago, so the frustration is pretty fresh.

Comment from: Olivia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis at 20 and am still in the process of getting my thyroxine medicines right. I went to the doctor because I was having trouble with panic attacks and anxiety, but he ordered TSH and T4 bloodwork which all showed I was hypothyroid. Prior to that though, I had noticed I was having on/off weeks of feeling so run down and exhausted mixed with being very energetic and positive. I had absolutely no appetite when I was tired though, and ended up losing weight. I was also having problems with feeling very faint and losing my vision when I stood up; though that could have easily been from not eating at all.

Comment from: Thyroidpatient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis in 1993. My symptoms were zero energy, very little appetite, weight gain, extreme swelling, feeling like I was in a fog mentally, voice changes, no period, slow reflexes, high cholesterol, etc. I was first given Synthroid. The swelling went away, I gradually felt somewhat better but still always felt mentally off. My doctor prescribed Cytomel as well as Synthroid at this point. Cytomel helps tremendously with the mental fogginess if Synthroid alone does not.

Comment from: kitkat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

My symptoms at onset of Hashimoto's (at age 28) were chronic, recurring hives and angioedema, fatigue, cold feet and hands, brain fog, sleepiness, depressed mood, dry skin, painful periods, muscle cramps, and bad breath.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

My TSH level was 3.7 mIU/L last October of 2013, at the onset of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. But after I had Avelox therapy, it rose to 14.37 mlU/L on May 5, went down slightly on May 9 and on June 10 went down to 10+. However, the thyroid peroxidase antibody rose from 600 on May 28 to 3000 on June 12, 2014. I also started hearing singing, chanting, wailing and screaming starting in May. I am terrified. A doctor put me on Synthroid 25 mcg which I started taking on May 28, but another doctor told me to stop taking it. Unfortunately, I followed the latter's advice, and now I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown as I cannot get rid of the singing, chanting and wailing.

Comment from: Ishu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

Although I was eating normally, I gained over 8 kg in a few months, coupled with feeling of breathlessness and leg cramps. I started experiencing irregular periods, swollen face, neck, feet, and to make things worse, I no longer wanted to be in crowd, felt sad over almost anything and still have unbelievable mood swings. I am used to researching everything, so I typed in all these symptoms on Google and guessed about Hashimoto's. Then, I got T3, T4 and TSH tested, my TSH was only 5.5 meaning I had just started to have the symptoms. Unfortunately, the doctor that I had gone to see advised that I was only 25 and too young for a medication of a life-long disease. I should rather exercise more and follow a diet and my thyroid should be gone in a few months. I was happy and worked out really hard sweating a lot and followed a strict diet. However, my thyroid symptoms got worse, my legs cramps gave me nightmares and I have been more depressed than ever. Depression hurts me the most, I really loved being happy and mostly known among everyone for being jolly. I am slowly losing that part of me. So, instead of waiting for thyroid to get worse, this time I saw a thyroid hospital and followed up with a senior doctor, who took further tests and figured out that my TSH had gone from 5.5 to 9.8 in less than a month. I have been prescribed with Thyronorm which I am taking since a week and my leg cramps are already gone.

Comment from: bamagirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was 13 years old when diagnosed with Hashimoto"s thyroiditis. My eyes grew fat behind them and they bulged out badly. My mother took me to the doctor and after examining my gland, it felt enlarged. After a thyroid scan I had iodine treatment. I was then diagnosed. My skin is very dry, I have brittle hair, slow heartbeat and bad menstrual cycles and it was hard to conceive. But I did and have two wonderful boys.

Comment from: viola, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

At first I felt good, but went to the eye doctor with torn retina. I had headaches. I experienced coldness, numbness, tingling, blurry vision, pain, carpal tunnel, couldn"t go on walks without tiring out quickly and hair falling out. I was going hypo and hyper thyroid back and forth so it took several months for doctors to figure it out. I had Hashimoto"s thyrotoxicosis and now it"s just Hashimoto"s. Eight months later I have about half of my hair still and it is not falling out! Yay! I am on 100 MCG Synthroid and doing better but it is hard to be patient. I want to be like I was before all this. The doctor said it could take a few more months!

Comment from: armymom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's 5+ years ago. I've been to 2 different doctors who have changed my medications several times. My weight and cholesterol increased, my mood swings became uncontrollable and I became severely depressed. One doctor had me convinced I needed anxiety medication. Both doctors only relied on my TSH levels. If the levels were in the normal range, they didn't think my concerns were viable. I feel horrible. I felt much better before I went on Synthroid. I have now been off Synthroid for 2 weeks. So far so good. I'm no dummy; I'm closely monitoring everything so if the slightest need arises, I will be seeing my doctor. I know it takes time and I may still have some Synthroid in my system. But for now, I feel ok.

Comment from: Lina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

When I was 14 years old my mom noticed a few things wrong with me. 1) I was so tired all the time that when I came home from school I had to sleep for about 2 to 3 hrs. 2) My grades in school dropped because I couldn't focus on anything. 3) My hair was dry and gray started to appear. There wasn't a doctor that could diagnose me and by the time I was 33 I had a very hard time conceiving and after 2 miscarriages and passing out in the middle of the street from lack of energy and pains all over my body, finally a doctor saw the size of my neck and did an ANA test - it was then that I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. By that time I had multiple cold nodules that led to the total removal of my thyroid. I am now 56 and have 2 grown children, my daughter with Hashimoto antibodies and my son with a hormonal deficiency due to lack of human chorionic gonadotropin that led him to briefly stop growing and have the testosterone levels of a 4 year old but, he was 11. Thank goodness that I acted fast and found him a child endocrinologist that took care of it. Meanwhile I believe my Hashimoto's had a lot to do with all this.

Comment from: Rhiannon, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was found to have Hashimoto's thyroiditis when I was 12. I had a large swelling on my throat which caused some alarm when my mother realized it was there. Aside from that I apparently had no symptoms but when I was diagnosed, it was found that my growth had been stunted as a result. Thankfully with medication I was able to catch up (and not look like I was perpetually 8 years old) though I still look like I am in my mid-teens at 24.

Comment from: Jet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

It has taken almost 20 years for the doctors to diagnose me with Hashimoto's. I started with a positive serum RA (rheumatoid arthritis). It continued with aches, severe hip pain, you name it. Almost all the doctors, I felt thought I was crazy. After an MRI for something else, they found that I only had a right thyroid lobe left. The left had been destroyed after all these years. Now with a true diagnosis and levothyroxine for 6 months, I have slept well, no aches and pains (other than hips) and no more constipation. I feel so much better and look forward to even getting better. Note though, to have a baseline bone scan done. At 30 years old I had osteopenia added to the list and they now feel it was from the Hashimoto's.

Comment from: sritnavarre, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

When I was 21 I was told I had Hashimoto's. My symptoms are worse now than ever. I haven't had the money for my medications in over two months. I have depression, fatigue, swelling in my hands and my feet, numb finger tips, memory loss and I have been having issues with feeling like my throat is swelling shut. I hate these feelings! This week has been very hard because I have been achy and my muscles feel tight and like there giving out.

Comment from: Pinky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had chronic fatigue, severe hairlessness, and heart palpitations of 180 bpm at rest and was regularly given ECGs because of that. I also had nighttime leg cramps, brittle nails and poor memory/concentration, I had high cholesterol and needed B12 supplements too. All the while my TSH was measuring 3 - perfectly normal. Only when it went up to 4 was I given thyroid medications (4 until recently was still in the normal range). I was given medications for over ten years after my symptoms began at the age of 30. I put on over 30 lbs. in that time but luckily I was skinny to begin with and forced myself to do heaps of sport, so I'm still not overweight. I absolutely encourage all women with thyroid symptoms who are in 'normal' range to seek out a specialist, I didn't do this because I had no idea about thyroid disease, but I wish I had. My life is so much better now I have thyroid medications, I haven't had any heart palpitations since and now I just wish my hair would grow back.

Comment from: sinnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I am sixty years young. I feel 160. About 12 years ago I told my general physician I had a thyroid problem. They ran my TSH and said I was "in the normal range". Then seven years ago my symptoms were: cramping in legs, headache, extreme fatigue, mood issues, hair loss, nails splitting and ridges, yellowing of nails on large toe, feeling as if I was being choked, unable to wear a turtle neck; dry skin, coarse hair, eyebrow loss, high cholesterol and triglycerides and a goiter that made my entire neck disappear with a TSH of 41 as I hobbled into the emergency ward. I was in bed for the next three months waiting for levothyroxine to help me not want to kill myself. I was in so much pain all over, especially headaches. It has taken me almost eight years and today I finally got into an endocrine specialist who suspects I have Hashimoto.

Comment from: Cat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease and had to have my thyroid gland removed entirely. Ever since it's extremely hard to lose weight, I don't grow hair under my arms and hardly on my legs. I am on a large dose of Synthroid but still get very tired and I have no appetite but still gain weight. I am interested in finding what to do to try to lose weight with this disease. I found the disease when I noticed I was having a hard time swallowing and my throat area was very tight. The goiter I had was growing inward and pressing on my larynx.

Comment from: Christine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

What most people don't know is that Hashimoto's involves both hypo and hyperthyroid symptoms. This disease can swing both ways depending on your thyroid and whether it is over or under producing the T4 hormone. I suffered with Hashimoto's for eight years before I was correctly diagnosed. Before being treated, most of the time I had symptoms of hypothyroidism such as fatigue, depression, and weight gain for no reason. If left untreated, hypothyroidism can cause further problems, including changes in menstrual cycles, prevention of ovulation, an increased risk of miscarriage, and may progress to other serious consequences including heart failure. I would also go through extreme bouts of hyperthyroidism a few times a year. This is a condition that happens when there is too much thyroid hormone. These symptoms include: insomnia, irritability, weight loss without dieting, heat sensitivity and increased perspiration, thinning of your skin, fine or brittle hair, muscular weakness, eye changes, lighter menstrual flow, rapid heartbeat and shaky hands. It is important to know that too much thyroid replacement hormone can mimic the symptoms of hyperthyroidism.

Comment from: Forsaken, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

In 1992 diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and Sjogren's syndrome at 37. Five years later my rheumatologist diagnosed Hashimoto's thyroiditis, but I was not treated because my blood levels were within normal range. I suffered for 15 years with depression, anxiety and phobia disorders during which time my medical doctors plus two endocrinologists told me to see a psychiatrist and I was put on 200 mg of Zoloft, 50 mg of trazodone, and clonazepam, but no Synthroid. My dry skin, hair, joint and muscle pain was attributed to Sjogren's and RA, as well as exhaustion, brain fog, and mood swings/personality disorder. In 2009, after 17 years, the breakup of my 32 year marriage, I was in a tragic car accident caused by passing out at the wheel. I was airlifted to the trauma unit where a cat scan of my fractured collarbone showed nodules deep in the thyroid tissue which could not be felt by touch clinically. I was finally diagnosed with papillary carcinoma, follicular variant, total thyroid removal plus thyroid carcinoma in five of six lymph nodes. Now at 58 years old in 2013, and still going for 6-month cancer checks.

Comment from: Aunty M, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis after mentioning to a new general physician that I had been diagnosed in the past with thyroid problems and she did blood work which showed really high cholesterol issues and thyroid levels were out of whack. I also at the same time was and still am suffering with palindromic rheumatism, menopause, and now rheumatoid arthritis. The weight gain is out of control and I find some days I cannot drive too far as I have micro sleeps. I am on 200 mg of Eutroxsig (thyroxine). I am now starting to suffer with fluid retention so I'm going to ask for a meeting with a specialist.

Comment from: Shelsybug, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I slept for 3 years. I have multiple sclerosis (MS) so I thought that was the problem, but got tested for TSH T3 and T4 and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's.

Comment from: Debs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had been on Synthroid for 13 years with continuing symptoms of hypothyroidism. Among other symptoms, my hair was flying out of my head. It took years to find a doctor who would look beyond my TSH level. It"s important to know your Free T3, Reverse T3 and T4 levels. I was not converting T4 into the much needed Free T3. My Reverse T3 was too high. Reverse T3 blocks the Free T3 thus, my continued hypothyroid symptoms.

Comment from: LabRatCassie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

What you all need to know and understand is just because a TSH and T4 Free are within normal range, means nothing if you are having symptoms! The reference range for a TSH can run anywhere from 0.36-3.74 and 0.39-5.00! In laboratory standards, this is a large gap. A TSH and T4 Free, should only be done to monitor progression of an already diagnosed hyper/hypothyroid individual. Luckily, since I have worked in a clinical lab for 12 years, I know this and understand why I have a positive ANA, elevated WBC count, vague symptoms, etc. So I knew to have a TPO done. This is a thyroid peroxidase antibody. If you have symptoms and TSH and T4 Free are normal tell your doctor to test this antibody! It is possibly the only way to diagnose Hashimoto"s!

Comment from: donn\a, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My Hashimoto's was undiagnosed for years - until I took in a bag of hair to the doctor. Also my hands were split open, I was making myself salt and vinegar drinks, without knowing why and was constantly wrapped in blankets by the fire. By the time my doctor finally heard me, even knowing the thyroid history of my family, I was an absolute mess. So my advice is to speak up until you are heard.

Comment from: HL, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I really wish I could find someone who can understand what I am going through. Almost every day I have extreme fatigue, stubborn weight, depression, thyroid pain and swelling like you wouldn't believe; yet the only treatment is levothyroxine, which is what I am already taking.

Comment from: Dejia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Today I was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I have been telling my doctors for 8 years that something was wrong. For the last 3 years, (after I found out it ran in my family), I have been trying to get someone to listen to me. I ended up with almost perfect numbers every time I was tested, a little on the low side however. Although a synthetic drug was prescribed the symptoms never got much better-even as the dosage was increased. I ended up with a goiter, my hair falling out, joint pain, to the point of not being able to move around, along with a laundry list of all the other symptoms which I was suffering but can't be seen. When I went for the follow up today, some of the numbers although in range were off but, (big but), the antibody test was off the charts. The conclusion I made after this visit is that the numbers are a myth. There are a set of numbers for my body that is unique to me. I shouldn't have had to go through 8 years to finally have somebody listen to me.

Comment from: Amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I was diagnosed a month ago and was just so tired all the time, I was taking ephedrine just to stay awake during the day. I was constipated and had achy legs, dry itchy skin and dry hair. I feel better after being on this thyroid medication. But one endocrinologist said to take an iodine supplement and the second endocrinologist I went to see said not to take it with Hashimoto's. This is so confusing!

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had Hashimoto disease since I was in my thirties. I have found that the medications do not take away all of my symptoms, depression is a big one for me as also the tingling down my butt and legs, waking up early and being wet around my throat area.

Comment from: Nida, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I got diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis by my dermatologist, who I was seeing for alopecia areata. I was 25 at that time, and am 26 now. He advised me to get TSH and auto-antibodies test done. I had no symptoms except alopecia, and was always known for my extra energy, so much so that I initially thought that I would have hyperthyroid. However, I did have a reputation for sleeping for hours and feeling breathless. I developed anxiety and would have anxiety panic attacks, diarrhea because of anxiety, etc. but this was because I was depressed of being diagnosed with a lifelong disease.

Comment from: helpfortheunknown, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis over 5 years ago. Prior to my diagnosis I experienced several symptoms such as, cold tremors, moon face, chronic fatigue and chronic depression. I'm trying so hard to reinvent myself so that I can remain to have some type of normalcy. The problem is I'm always tired and frequently depressed.

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My major symptom for Hashimoto's thyroiditis was extreme tiredness. I always had tons of energy, but I found myself taking two-hour naps each day of the weekend. I was probably mildly depressed as well because I was always so sleepy and lost my “energizer bunny” personality. My secondary symptoms were dry hair and nails. I was 43 when I was diagnosed. I'm 49 now.

Published: July 15

I dropped my daughter off at school and fell asleep only to wake up right before it was time to pick her up! This happened three days in a row. The fourth day I was in the doctor's office. I knew this was not normal: Most people have enough energy to make it through the day. I found out that Hashimoto's thyroiditis in my family all over the place. I've been struggling with it for years and didn't know. With three pregnancies, my thyroid was wacky afterward, but I just didn't know that at the time. I thought maybe it was my hormones adjusting. I also had muscle cramping, chest pain that landed me in emergency room, a muscle ache in my arm pit area, and aching finger joints as if I had carpal tunnel syndrome. Depression was mild, but it was there. I also felt as if I were in a mental fog. I could not recall names, or titles of books, or authors. I could not concentrate and wondered why I felt so foggy. The only way to focus was with caffeine, but it would wear off right away. Now that I'm on Synthroid, my symptoms are all starting to fade, thankfully. I did gain 20 pounds, which have not come off yet but hopefully with some time and work, I can shed it.

Published: July 11

I experienced extreme depression, fatigue, and muscle cramps. I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. My treatment is to take supplemental dose (30 mg) of Armour Thyroid each day and we'll check things in a month. I ended up at a neuropsychiatrist because, though I was extremely depressed, I knew it had to be physical. He ran 20 labs and diagnosed me. My primary doctor, who I've gone to for years, ran only the basic thyroid and iron tests but nothing more and wouldn't have detected it. So ... for two years I have been searching. It does matter who you go to. This doctor did say that many times endocrinologists will not prescribe anything for the Hashimoto's but that he has found that just a small dose will make the autoimmune attack stop.

Comment from: qplady0831, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have been battling what I believed was just hypothyroidism. Since January 2015 I have had so many symptoms it would take forever to list. I have told the doctors that I felt just like I did before I started taking medication about 4 years ago. They finally discovered, since I told them my mother had a goiter up to her death, that I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I am on levothyroxine, almost 4 years now. Yes, my numbers are right but I feel horrible.

Comment from: twigs08, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was 14 when I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's. During the time when my hormone was leaking and I had symptoms of hyperthyroidism my doctor took me off my Synthroid. Don't ever do that! It was very difficult to convince anyone to put me back on the hormone therapy. I now find myself struggling to distinguish if I am experiencing thyroid symptoms or bipolar symptoms, since they can easily overlap. At age 37 I feel more like age 80 most days. Stay on your thyroid hormone unless an expert (not a general physician) advises otherwise!

Comment from: minnie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I am very tired all the time no matter how much sleep I would get. I am also feeling depressed for no apparent reason.

Comment from: hashy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have just been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis, as a result of a lump that suddenly appeared at the front of my neck on the lower left side. Ultrasounds (2), blood tests, and a CAT scan confirmed the presence of the disease. No pain was associated with this lump (1.5 centimeters) but the endocrinologist aspirated fluid from it and also had it tested. They are prescribing levothyroxine. I will begin taking it tomorrow.

Comment from: djolsen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have had Hashimoto's thyroiditis all of my life and never really knew what was wrong with me. My blood tests when I was born done by a pediatrician showed that I had a low thyroid. My parents never took me back to the pediatrician to be diagnosed. The symptoms that I have experienced have been weight gain, depression, constipation, and fatigue. I still get fatigue in the morning, but seems to wear off after I take my levoxyl.

Comment from: jspeer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I first was diagnosed with a goiter a few years ago. My doctor did lab work and all was fine. Eight months ago, I felt like it was hard to swallow food at times and was a little nervous that it had grown bigger so I went to the doctor. She asked me if I was tired all the time, but I have three kids and I work the night shift. I figured that's why I wanted to sleep all the time. I did start having muscle cramps and my periods have always been heavy. My hair was so dry that my hairdresser was wondering what was going on. She ordered lab work and my TSH was 14.7. I'm on 125mcg of Synthroid now.

Comment from: Connie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I was diagnosed with Hashimotos after having been prescribed synthroid by a GP that felt lumps on my thyroid. I took it for a couple years before diagnosis of the disease. I feel that if I hadn't taken it for the lumps on the thyroid gland I may not have developed it. Can taking thyroid medication cause it? I am afraid to stop taking the med. but now my joints, it seems ALL of them are cracking and painful and stiff. Is that a side effect? Does anyone know? I read one brief blurp about it causing joint deterioration, but I can't find anything definitive.

Comment from: *Indy5*, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I'm tired a lot, feel depressed, and cry about how I look at times, even though people say I'm beautiful. On the weekends, I go to sleep at midnight and wake up around 1 p.m. It kills to wake at 5 a.m. when I go to bed 11. My nails are starting to look dull. I also get lots of blood work done and I hate needles! When I have a fever, I really swell all over. My doctor wanted to remove my tonsils if I continued to get strep throat, but it stopped. My uvula swells and it hurts to eat. Two years ago I got an EpiPen, but I who prescribed it to me retired and they took me off the pills.

Comment from: Nana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's after seeing the doctor with extreme pain in my fingers and hands. I would wake up all through the night with pain on the insides of my knees and elbows so severe that I would have to get up and walk around. I was also having muscle cramps very badly. My doctors first thought was rheumatoid arthritis and ordered lab work and X-rays. Labs came back fine for RA but did show high elevation of antibodies for Hashimoto's. I'm now on levothyroxine and am doing much better. I still ache at night and have muscle cramps but nothing nearly like I had been. I'm glad to have a great doctor who listens and doesn't think I'm crazy when I tell him all my odd little aches and pains. I had told my OB/GYN exactly how I was feeling six months prior and he ran normal thyroid tests and said everything was fine, and that my aches and pains were just from lack of rest and exercise. It's a good thing that my GP took me seriously.

Comment from: meme, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

There is more to correcting a thyroid problem than just thyroid supplements/medication. Your caregiver must look at your vitamin D3 levels and also calcium. These all work hand in hand.

Comment from: Shinanaye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Very interesting. I am also 43 and was just diagnosed last week. It seems to be the magic number. They did not put me on anything. Instead, they suggested I take Advil as an anti-inflammatory. I am always sleepy – exhausted is more like it – and I feel like I have something in my throat.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I had extreme fatigue, hair loss, constipation, swelling of knees and ankles, hip pain, and dry, brittle nails. I complained to many different doctors. (Many suspected depression, age, being female.) My gyno suspected something was wrong with my thyroid, so I was sent to endocrinology. Even after tests confirmed Hashimoto's thyroiditis, my primary care physician couldn't believe I had it with normal TSH levels! I went undiagnosed for eight years.

Comment from: gggirl64, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis this week, but the symptom that led me back to the doctor was a dry, non-productive cough. I have had chest pain so bad that it radiated into my jaw. I thought it was a heart attack, and I went through the heart tests just to be on the safe side. I had a sonogram of the thyroid, and that is how they detected my thyroiditis. My other symptoms are extreme tiredness, heavy periods, muscle aches, mild mood swings, and that's just the beginning.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I was extremely tired; I couldn't even function. My skin was extremely dry all the time along with dry hair. I had extreme depression, and my weight fluctuated constantly.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I'm a 43 year-old-female diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. My symptoms: major facial swelling, under eye bags, a drooping upper eyelid, weight gain (approximately 15 pounds), major depression, and fatigue. My cholesterol level has increased, even with the 100 mcg of Levothroid I'm now taking.

Published: July 23

Well, I gave birth to my second son seven months ago and I noticed extreme fatigue, muscle cramps in my legs, and my right eye feeling as if it were bulging out of my head. I have had 25 decibels of hearing loss that is unexplained and my hands, ankles and knees ache constantly. I struggled with some pretty severe depression and was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder and postpartum. As the months passed, the fatigue got to the point that I would fall asleep with my two boys playing on the floor in front of me. I absolutely couldn't keep my eyes open. So I knew something else was wrong. I went to my family doctor who knew immediately that something was up with my thyroid and suspected Hashimoto's thyroiditis. You could visibly see that my thyroid was enlarged. They took my TSH levels and they were 12! That is SUPER high! So I am taking Synthroid and will be retested in a few more weeks to check the levels. It will be a process to get it under control. Finding the correct amount of Synthroid to control it could take months. It has been two weeks since I started medicine, and I still am so stinking tired.

Published: July 10

Like many of the other women adding comment in this blog I too was basically told that I was depressed, stressed and crazy. No mind you yes I am probably am a little stressed but that's only because MY DOCTOR ISN'T LISTINING TO ME!!!!!!!! I have been chasing this problem for a little more than year and I have seen multiple doctors and even with an antibody count of more than 1000, a TSI of almost 4.0 and an elevated CRP I still have not been diagnosed with Hashimoto' s. On top of the obvious test results I have hair loss, a gain of 15lbs on 8 weeks (mind you I only weighed 130 lbs to start, so 15lbs on someone that size mine as well be 50), joint pain, chronic fatigue, skin changes and sleeping problems. Being a person that doesn't take well to being sedated and pushed aside by doctors I have refused to give up and I have also refused to take the antidepressant (which didn't make some doctors very happy). I am not a hypochondriac nor am I crazy, I am a woman that knows my body and knows that something is wrong. With that said you are not a hypochondriac either, if you know something is wrong then keep fighting at some point there will be evidence via medial clinical support that will prove you right and the doctors wrong. I am only 30 years old and though I'm young I am an educated intelligent woman and I will not stop until I am properly treated for my disease.

Published: July 08

For years now I have complained of the same things being extremely tired and the weight gain with the signs of depression too. I have gone to 4 different doctors throughout the years and they all just said that I am getting older and offered me antidepressants which I finally took by the 3rd year. My neurologist finally listened and did more extensive testing and took one look at the results and told me that I have Hashimoto' s Thyroiditis and I was just glad to have a answer instead of looking like a hypochondriac all of these years. She is now referring me to an endocrinologist who most likely will start me on thyroid medicine.

Published: July 08

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto' s Thyroiditis years ago after having years of endometriosis and having symptoms that I thought was still from endometriosis, but was from hypothyroidism. I was put on Synthroid felt great stayed on same dose for a few years. I had to have a hysterectomy at age 29 and ever since then my thyroid can't get straight they keep increasing my dose and I still feel horrible. I feel like they can't get it straight.

Published: July 08

I have been experiencing some of the symptoms related to HT. Since November I have had episodes of hives, severe joint pain, fatigue, dry scalp, and weight gain without a change in diet. They usually last 1 - 1.5 months and go away for a period of time. I have had three episodes and am going through one now. My doctor took blood work and I am waiting for the results. My OBGYN ordered an ultrasound for my thyroid last year and it showed that one side is slightly enlarged than the other. The only medication I take daily is Loestrin, an oral contraceptive.

Published: June 30

I don't like my doctor; he diagnosed me with Hashimoto' s Disease and then refused to give me treatment for it even though I told him I did not feel like myself and have been unreasonably tired all of the time. I also told him that I had trouble concentrating at work and he started talking about giving me anti-depressants.

Published: June 25

I think I've had Hashimoto for a very long while before it was diagnosed. In the beginning the symptoms were very subtle. I felt slightly disconnected from everything around me and had trouble concentrating. After a while I started experience a sudden urge to cry completely out of the blue. The feeling of disconnection worsened, and slowly it began to seem as if there is a transparent curtain between me and the world - everything seemed very distant and foggy. I had trouble thinking - in a way I felt I had become 'stupid'. It was very difficult for me to put together different pieces of information. The decision making process became worse and worse - I would choose probably the worst option available and later look back and wonder what on earth was going through my head at that time... As my condition deteriorated I began to gain weight (about 10 kg), I had muscle pains, pains in the joints, my skin was very sensitive at times and I began to sleep a lot. My mood was always between mediocre and low, until slowly it seemed that the sun would never shine again and there was no way out and I realized that I was depressed. Shortly after I woke one morning with a lump sticking out of my throat and went to the doctor. At this point my TSH was over 170.

Published: June 25

Excessive tiredness with the inability to awaken after a good nights' sleep - usually attribute to allergies. Now I have drier skin than normal - scalp itching is the worst right now, very used to dry skin on arms/legs. I've gained 10 lbs in 3 months, with 6 lbs. coming on over 2-week period without any dietary changes. More depressed nature, but nothing too bad.

Published: June 25

Exhaustion and trouble sleeping, with no energy to enjoy much of anything. In that state, I had to insist that we find the problem rather than improve a very good diet or give antidepressants to a happy person. The depression diagnosis seems to happen more than I would have thought, with the subsequent, unnecessary delay in treatment.

Published: June 20

I have been extremely tired as well as very irritable. I thought I was going crazy until I demanded my doctor do the antibody tests. Then I got the results-they were very much out of range! Now I know why I have been feeling the way I have!

Published: June 12

I had a small patch of vitiligo in my groin area and also experienced a short bout of hyperthyroidism after pregnancy. Looking back, these were probably the first warning signs of an autoimmune problem. Fifteen years later I became hypothyroid and experienced RSI-like symptoms in my forearms that stopped me being able to type or play the piano, with the little finger being the most painful. I put on a fair bit of weight (about 10-14kg, more than is usually expected with this condition, but the same as other family members had done), and I felt overwhelming tiredness, like in pregnancy. I had uncontrollably heavy menstrual periods and was a little constipated most of the time. My hair and nails became a little drier than they had been. My blood tests were normal, but I knew what was wrong because hypothyroidism runs in the family. After two weeks of treatment I felt a lot better and pretty much my normal self. From time to time my GP does another blood test and increases my dose of Levothyroxine as necessary, if any of the symptoms return. My only regret is not pushing for a diagnosis earlier, as some of the symptoms were already there, and one of my children has a minor disability that may have been prevented by me being given a low dose of thyroxine during pregnancy - my GP at the time was probably too quick just to look at lab test results rather than the overall picture, which looking back was probably unwise, given that there was a family history of this condition..

Published: June 09

Well, my first symptom was an extreme feeling of being tired all the time, even after getting up from having plenty of sleep. Secondly, I had heart palpitations that are suppose to happen with hyperthyroid problems. Secretly, I thought someone would find me dead somewhere. You could say I was depressed.

Published: July 30

The only symptom I had was hives that were all over my body. After going to the allergist to get blood work done, the doctor called me and told me that I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Published: July 25

My husband and I were trying to conceive, and I lost two pregnancies right after getting a positive preg test. Then for over a year I was unable to conceive. I went to the doctor for a routine check up, and had a "list" of my ailments, including migraines, depression, and weight gain that I couldn't get control over, hair loss, severe eczema, and heavy menstrual cycles, plus infertility. My doctor told me that he would like to run a simple blood test before beginning to address anything yet and the result? Hypothyroidism. I began treatment with Levoxyl right away and now have three beautiful children. The weight? Still a huge struggle for me though. Most of my other symptoms have disappeared altogether, or gotten a lot better over time.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter