Patient Comments: Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease - Treatments

What treatment did you receive for hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD)? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: James, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I'm 44. I thought I might have strep till the itching from the hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) started! I was unable to sleep as I couldn't swallow properly due to the throat. And being awake means you are victim to the itching which is horrific. Gargling with Betadine really helped the throat, then Strepsils really helped! Calamine lotion helped for 45 minutes for itching. I'm now like Baloo the bear rubbing against furniture. I am trying to wear cotton which is helping and have a rub (rather than scratch) every now and then. The only way I could sleep was sitting upright on the sofa with cushions around me. Now on 3 days with 4.5 hours sleep. Really I don't think I have it as bad as others here but it's the most miserable illness I've had in a long time; and I've done shingles and scabies! Good luck. Try and eat soups, it helps to keep the strength up. Careful, hot soups hurt!

Comment from: Desperately sick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I am a 55 year old female and this is day 5 of hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). My symptoms began on Sunday with a nagging headache and nausea. Day 2 headache, nausea, and low grade fever. Day 3 headache was gone, but I had nausea, 101.4 degree fever and horrible sore throat (worse than strep). I went to the doctor had negative strep test and negative flu test. I tried to tell the doctor I had been exposed to HFMD. He put me on medicines for a sinus infection. Sore throat was almost unbearable. Day 4 I was fever free. Throat was better but that evening my hands started feeling like they were going to sleep. I had tingling and burning of hands/feet and red spots on hands/feet. Day 5 hands/feet continue to sting, and it is almost impossible to walk or grip things. The pain is excruciating! Thank goodness the sore throat is better! I will have to say I've had several illnesses, surgery, and injuries. HFMD is by far the absolute worst! I've been in isolation for 5 days (self-administered). If you contract it there isn't much that can be done except to drink plenty of fluids; warm liquids helped my throat, Tylenol or Advil for the pain. As far as the blisters nothing has helped I'm sorry to say. I'm just praying that these blisters will be better tomorrow.

Comment from: Sheetal, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

My 9 month old baby acquired this hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) and pediatrician advised to apply Lacto Calamine (LC) lotion over the itching area. It seems to be a virus. HFMD is probably a viral infection. It just lasted for 3 days and after application of LC lotion, and all dried up. Nothing to worry. I observed that it happened after a severe cold and cough attack. Probably it is to do with immunity.

Comment from: Michelle C., 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 26

Thank you to the people who mentioned using yogurt for the itching associated with hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). My 9 year old daughter was crying from the itching on her feet after enduring all the other symptoms (fever, mouth sores, etc.) I felt so sorry for her, but didn't know how to bring her any relief. I gave her a dose of allergy medicine and coated both of her feet in yogurt. I was amazed at how quickly the yogurt soothed her feet. She is resting now, finally. I have another tub of yogurt ready for her when she wakes just in case!

Comment from: teresa14, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

Hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) has to be one of the most annoying and painful viruses out there. The first day, I got flu-like symptoms. I had a massive headache, couldn't stop coughing, my whole body's muscles were sore, and I was freezing one minute then overly hot the next. I lay in bed for the whole day with no energy whatsoever. I even barely had energy to go to the bathroom. The second day, all of those symptoms were gone except for a painful sore throat. I thought the worst was over but boy was I wrong! The third day, the rash and blisters came. The itching will drive you insane. It makes sleeping almost impossible because all you want to do is scratch yourself like crazy. I had to muster so much self-control in order not to scratch my hands as I knew it would only make things worse. I tried taking Advil and slathering on hydrocortisone anti-itch cream but they could only help so much. I'm currently on my fourth day and I have been developing more blisters and red spots on my hands and foot. I really hope I recover from this soon. I will try using yogurt as someone mentioned before to see if it'll bring relief to my itching.

Comment from: Bonnie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have lost track of time and days. It's 10 pm and after reading these posts on hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) I hope that the store is open because I just sent my husband to buy yogurt. I have been through trauma before, but I have to say this is agony. I can't imagine going through 3, 4 or 5 more days. Thank you to those who took the time to post on here. I truly thought I was nuts after reading about this and articles saying adults don't get it that bad, etc. Anyone writing that has never been through what we have!

Comment from: Worried mom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 21

My son is 5 year and 5 months. He started to have cough and runny nose, and I brought him to his pediatrician the next day. His pediatrician checked him up and gave him medicine for cough and runny nose. Then the night of the same day he got fever of 38.5 degree Celsius and reddening of his skin, especially extremities (don't know if it's because of fever). I went back to his pediatrician the next day, and he just gave fever medicine and instructed me to continue his cough medicine; that was yesterday. Now I notice he already has small white blisters all over his mouth, tongue, gums, cheeks and lips, though he said they don't hurt. This time I saw red rashes on his hands, feet, buttocks and genital area, a few on his elbows and knees, and very few on other parts of his body. And they started to itch, he said it was like he was being stung by many mosquitos on his hands and feet. By the way we are from the Philippines. I suspect hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). It is middle of the night on my time zone.

Comment from: Katmama, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 29

My 7 month old daughter got hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) first somehow (no daycare and she isn't really crawling yet). Her first spot was in her diaper area so I thought it was diaper rash. She never got a fever or had any spots in her mouth or the soles of her feet. Most of the sores were on her outer mouth with a few random ones on her knee, foot, and diaper line. She got a rash on her legs as well. The spots got weepy, then healed quickly. It didn't seem to bother her. Then, I got a 101 fever for 3 days and felt awful. I broke out on one knee, but it wasn't itchy. I thought it was unrelated. Now my 2 year old has it around his mouth, on his hands, and just woke up screaming about the soles of his feet. Poor guy, he's having the hardest time of the three of us. I'm hoping somehow my husband escapes it. Lanolin helped my daughter's sores heal quickly.

Comment from: Kh2183, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I am 33 and contracted hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) from my niece. Crazy there is no information on adults and the few references say adult cases are milder. There is no way this is milder given my family's description of my niece's reaction. It started with severe muscle aches, headache, chills, sore throat, swollen glands, and fatigue. Fever of 100.5 the next night. I called in to work and reported the flu (I work at a hospital). The next morning I woke up with burning/itchy rash on my feet. Next it spread to my hands. I'm lucky so far no sores in my mouth. There is visible rash all over my body, but it's my hands and feet that constantly burn and itch to the point where I cry. I can barely walk or open things. Slathering Greek yogurt on hands and feet seems to help a little bit for a few hours. Most helpful thing I've found is filling a gallon freezer Ziploc about 1/3 with water, letting it get cold but not frozen and then putting it on my hands and feet. Since it's chilled but not frozen, it conforms to my feet and hands and can get between to alleviate the burning/itching/swelling between fingers and toes. If you had a toddler with itching you could put toys in it and they'd probably enjoy playing with it while it soothed the itch. My niece apparently never experienced itching and is now over it. Who'd have thought such a foul virus could be transmitted by such an adorable toddler!

Comment from: james, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

This is day 2 of the hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). My 4 year old daughter got it and I just started symptoms yesterday. First it started with a sore throat. Then in the middle of the night I had itching all over. I have little red bumps on my nose, a couple on my hands, ears, legs, and butt, not many bumps just a few, but they itch like crazy, even places I don't have bumps still itch. My doctor said try Claritin for the itching and swishing liquid antacid in my mouth, and Motrin for sore throat pain. What is weird is when I eat something my whole tongue kind of stings and hurts to eat the simplest of foods. Very odd disease. I would rather have the flu. Again this is day 2. People are telling me I am just getting started.

Comment from: Matt, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

My hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) symptoms started with what looked like athlete's Foot but at the same time there were spots on my chest. Two days earlier I had a nauseous feeling and had a mild fever however it went away the next day. Due to my itchy right foot I went to see a podiatrist and he first prescribed an anti-fungal cream for my feet, but after one day my feet and hands were extremely sore. I described some swelling in my feet to him and he thought it was an allergic reaction to the first cream. I got a second anti-fungal cream prescribed and my pharmacist was concerned as I described to her all my symptoms. She suggested what I had wasn't a local infection but perhaps systemic and because it was spreading quickly I should go see a doctor as soon as possible. As it turns out it was HFMD and my son had very mild symptoms of it recently but because it doesn't usually appear in adults I didn't make the connection. It is day 3 of the virus and although my hands are better, I can barely walk. I really hope it goes away soon!

Comment from: LoriAgar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

On Friday I woke up feeling lethargic, by the evening I was running a fever of 100.3. The next day fever was on and off, then spots started showing up, on hands, chest, feet, and blisters in my mouth and on my lips. Sunday, today, my hands are itching intensely, no appetite, it hurts to eat. I have been eating really soft food and drinking water. I went to clinic, the doctor looked like he wanted to run from me! Sure enough it was hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). He asked if I had been around any babies. No, I had not. I starting thinking and I have a friend that came by Tuesday that has a girlfriend with a baby in daycare. The only things that seems to help are hydrogen peroxide mouth wash, baking soda paste for brushing teeth, Cortizone and Benadryl for itching, Blistex for my lips, Advil for fever and headaches, dry eye drops, and when the itching is really bad holding something frozen. I got prescriptions for an antibiotic for secondary infections (he said in adults we can get sinus infections), steroids for the inflammation and itching and Cepacol to numb my mouth. This is only day 3 of having it or day 5 since exposure. I hope it is better soon, this is worse than the flu!

Comment from: Charlene, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I happened to have handled chilled plain yogurt with my hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease riddled left hand. The cold, thick yogurt coated my hand nicely and almost instantly soothed the stingy/itchy spots. I thought the effect was just due to the coolness of the yogurt, but the soothing effect lasted until I fell asleep (I rinsed the yogurt off after just a few minutes). The following morning, my left hand felt and looked way better than my right (which did not get slathered in yogurt). Getting more yogurt for my feet and right hand!

Comment from: Monica0228, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I got hand foot and mouth (HFM) virus from my son and it is horrible. The itching reminded me of what I went thru with chicken pox... It's continuously itching to the point where I wanted rip my hands off. After trying cortisone, steroid creams, Caladryl, and Benadryl gel all day, nothing worked. Finally I drank 4 teaspoons of Benadryl and put ice packs on my hand and I'm not sure which of those two helped but my itch is relieved. I hope this helps some of you because I've been reading blogs all day and found that nothing worked.

Comment from: Aef, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

Ice water will save you from the insane itching. I read one of these posts where I got the idea. I got hand, foot, and mouth disease from my son. Doctor said rash is non-itchy but that is in kids (usually), for adults it is crazy itchy. Soaking hands in ice water (I added oatmeal too) has saved me from the unbearable itch. It gives only 30 to 60 minutes relief, so I keep a pot in fridge and can be close to functional. I never post on these things but wanted to here in case it helps others in the same situation. Also the colder it is, harder to stand but helps longer.

Comment from: Dchjones, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

My 2 1/2 year old daughter came down with HFM disease and ran a fever for 2 days, had loss of appetite, runny nose then the spots/rash appeared after the fever broke. She had it the worst around her mouth (none inside), then on her hands, heels of her feet, and diaper area. I got it as she was clearing up and didn't think I had the same thing. My symptoms were so severe. It started with intensely itchy hands that woke me up in the morning. By the end of that first day I started to develop the rash and a little tingling on my hands. I woke up that night at 1AM and was up for the rest of the night/day with the most intense burning/itching I've ever felt. I've had shingles and this was worse! It lasted the whole next day and night (yes, 2 nights of no sleep). Today is day 3 and the pain is gone but the bumps/rash are still on my hands, some developed on my feet, and also around my nose. I will say that once the bumps/rash "came out" the pain left. I alternated between a steroid skin cream, Benadryl, and Calamine. I took Advil and Benadryl. Nothing helped like ice did. Hold ice packs all day, soak your feet; wrap your hands at night if you have to (that's what I did). It's soothing and numbing and will draw the heat out. It's aggressive, extremely contagious, and the most miserable thing I've experienced to date.

Comment from: Uncertain mom, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 08

I just took my 12 year old to the nurse practitioner (NP) today only to find out she has HFM and was told there was nothing they could do for her. She came home from school yesterday with bumps on her feet and on her hands this morning. She has had the sore throat, fever and headache already. The NP said to go ahead and send her back to school because the contagious time has probably already passed. As she sits at my bedside tonight crying because of her foot pain and itching, I have no clue what to do for her. We weren't informed of the pain and itching this also causes and I don't know what to do for my girl.

Comment from: Toddlermom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My 15-month girl started Tuesday with some fever and lots of drooling. I thought it was because she was teething or maybe ear infection. By Wednesday she developed sores on her tongue and ended up in the emergency room late at night in pain. She was diagnosed with stomatitis and prescribed Tylenol and Motrin alternating to lower the fever, and Benadryl syrup to help her sleep. Next Thursday her pediatrician said it was hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease and told us to mix of 1 ounce lidocaine, 1 ounce Benadryl, and 1 ounce Maalox and give her 1 tablespoon every 4 hours. It's Friday now and she's got some blisters on her feet and a lot of red dots on her diaper area. She is drinking liquids through a syringe. I have been washing my hands and everything she touches gets disinfected. I am washing sheets and clothes daily.

Comment from: dow2ba, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

This hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) is such a painful virus. It began with a sore throat and one small, extremely itchy blister on my hand. Later that same day, another blister, then both hands and feet exploded with big and small, raw and red, painful and itchy blisters. I made a trip to the emergency room to verify it wasn't going to kill me. The doctor confirmed HFMD. I discovered hot is painful, cold is soothing. Cold packs and ice water helps with the pain. OTC pain medicines and Benadryl help a little. I drink hot or warm soup to help with my throat and now I have the blisters on my tongue. It is day 3 and still getting more blisters. It hurts to wash hands, but I do so continuously and the bleach I use to kill the virus on surfaces dries out my hands and makes the itching worse. My granddaughter had it and no one wanted to tell me and she is always sneaking my drinks so I am pretty sure I got it this way.

Comment from: Amber, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I currently have hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. It started 4 days ago with a high fever, severe headache, body aches, dizziness, and no energy or appetite at all. Day 2 my throat started hurting, and I still had a fever and no appetite. Day 3 I woke up with the worst pain in my mouth/throat ever. It was different than any sore throat. I had a rash on my stomach and hands. I went into urgent care and was told I have HFMD. A couple of hours later, the rash was over my entire body. I was given hydrocodone for pain and to help me sleep. Throughout the day my hands got worse and the sores started on my feet. I am still unable to eat anything but ice cream, and milk or smoothies are the best attempt at getting some hydration in. I'm on day 4 now and my hands and feet are probably the worst. I hobble around when walking and I have a hard time opening things. Definitely the most painful illness I've had.

Comment from: drmartha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Like almost everyone else, I'm frantic to find something to take care of the itch from hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. Oral Benadryl has been no good; nor has Zyrtec. An oatmeal soak in cool water feels great, but the effect may be due entirely to the temperature of the water. I tried Calmoseptine ointment, which was initially cool, but then contributed to the fiery burn after a few minutes. I can't eat, can't sleep...

Comment from: ammax, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

Boy, is this and hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease awful! And most of the professional info out there talks about how it doesn't itch and doesn't get to adults that much or how it's mostly on hands, mouths, and feet. Well, I feel like my family can dispel all that. My daughter has the worst case pediatrician has ever seen (all over arms, legs, feet, hands, and face). My son and I have it also, which itches like crazy (him on his feet and me on my hands). We had no relief from anything, Benadryl, Advil, Aveeno, oatmeal bath, etc. The itching is what drives my son and I nuts especially with no relief! Ice seems to dull the itch for a while, that's the closest bit of relief we have found. As a mom it is terrible thinking I could be continuing to spread it more and more around the house all day with the 100 million things I touch! Plus add in all the itching and pain on my hands, how am I supposed to tolerate the cleaners in effort to sanitize my house! And it seems suffering for 3 to 10 days is expected. My goodness, that's ridiculous.

Comment from: Hml experience, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 28

My 2 1/2 year old daughter was saying that she had a sore in her hand but I could not see anything. Throughout the night she started scratching her hands continuously but because I didn"t see anything on her hands I brushed it off. The next night she then woke up again in the middle of the night itching profusely. I turned the light in looked at her hands and that"s when I saw the small flat bumps. I looked up the symptoms and found out it was (hand foot and mouth) HFM disease. This was also going around her school so I was certain that was what she had. I took her to the doctor, of course there was nothing they can do. They prescribed Benadryl for the pain. On the 4th day her feet started itching, so both hands and now both feet. It"s been 7 days and every night it"s been the same getting up and trying to help keep her calm to fall back asleep. I went back to the doctor thinking they can do more but they just prescribed some rash cream. We tried that and it does not work either. I"m irritated that I can"t help my child in need and that this virus has lasted so long, I wish it would go away.

Comment from: mamainseattle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

My 2 year old son's symptoms started with being extremely irritable and just crying out loud, was very clingy. Next day I noticed a rash on his face and thought was from binky drool. Next day, there were 5 rashes on his chin under his mouth, a few along his lower lip on this inside, and on the edge of his tongue, a few on his hands and feet. He already was diagnosed with hand foot mouth last year, and I went to see the doctor who confirmed it and as it was viral, there was no treatment, but then I got it. It started with malaise and sore throat and progressed to mild 100.3 fever, chills, severe sore throat, couldn't eat because it hurt to swallow. I gurgled salt water to kill bacteria, sucked on cough drops, ate smooth, cold foods like cottage cheese/ice cream/honey tea, took Tylenol before bedtime to sleep, rested and napped; all this helped and gave temporary relief. My condition got worse for the next couple of days with severe sore throat and rashes on hands. I found alternative smooth, filling foods like risotto, scrambled eggs, pureed soups, fruit smoothies which worked well. I am happy to be eating.

Comment from: SoloMum, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My 16 month old has been diagnosed with hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. I thought it was chicken pox at first and wondered why the spots didn't appear on his chest and back when I put him in the bath. I think his case is mild (due to spot count). Symptoms showed as low grade fever (100 C), very sore looking diaper rash, sore throat and spots on his fingers that blistered after a couple days. He is on day 8 and all but 4 blisters have dried up. Redness is gone. No fever and energy level is normal. I'm curious to know if his HFM is still contagious. I'm a nursing student doing clinical. I don't want to infect any of the elderly residents, but I can't afford the cost of making up the time.

Comment from: Leah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

This virus is no joke! I was exposed to a toddler with HFM on Saturday. Tuesday evening, I started feeling an intense fever and chills, sore throat, and headache. Wednesday I was in bed all day and not able to eat. Thursday I felt almost back to normal, but I had a few small red blisters on my hand. Went to doctor and they dismissed it as "just a virus," so was given no treatment. By that evening, more blisters had developed on my hands and a few on my feet. I knew it had to be HFM. I woke up Friday morning with a rash on most of my body, with a few new blisters on my arms and legs and around my nose. It was painful to walk or to hold anything. Went back to doctor and they agreed (this time) that it was HFM. Still no treatment, just told to use an OTC cream for the rash and Ibuprofen for the pain. Now it's Saturday and the rash doesn't appear to be any better and my hands are definitely worse. The ulcers on my throat are very painful so I can only eat ice cream, milkshakes, etc. I just hope this goes away SOON!

Comment from: Courtney G., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I'm not sure if my experience it rare, but I have HFM and instead of pain. I am sooo itchy on my hands and feet. The first day was like what most described high fever, chills, headache and flu-like. Then the red bumps, hard to see at first, but its day three now and they are super red. Last night, I couldn't sleep because of the itch and swelling. The ER prescribed a low-dose oral steroid and a stronger version of Benadryl since nothing over the counter worked. I tried all of it. Who wants to go to the ER for itching. It works, but doesn't numb it. The worst is trying to stay as far away from my 14 month old son, who surprisingly didn't give it to me! My PA student sister said if I have to be near him to wear gloves and socks and don't kiss on him. I am doing my best. Fingers crossed it doesn't spread to him.

Comment from: lrussell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My grandson was diagnosed with hand foot and mouth disease two weeks ago. I felt bad last weekend, then Monday I went home from work with a high fever of 103.5. I stayed in bed until Tuesday evening, got ready for work Wednesday feeling much better with the fever gone, but my throat was killing me and my hands had a few spots on them. My husband though it was from my fever. I went to work, about 1 hour later my hands starting getting more red spots/bumps. I went to the clinic and it was diagnosed as HFM. I was given a prescription for lidocaine to use for my mouth sores (which is an awful painful feeling). I have to gargle and swish around my mouth so I can at least attempt to eat a meal. But I agree with the others that posted on here. They need to prepare you of how painful this is. I feel sorry for the babies and toddlers that get this. I feel sorry for anyone that gets this. My hands are so swollen and red and sore I can't even hold a glass to drink. The bottom of my feet only have a few bumps, but they hurt to stand on them. For some reason I have it around my elbows and it hurts to rest my arms on anything. Keep your hands washed and don't let anyone use your towel. If your babies have it don't kiss them as it spreads from their saliva and running noses. Eat soft foods and smoothie type drinks to keep food in your stomach. Today is Friday and my breakout started Wednesday. I sure hope it goes away quick. I usually don't write in any of these forms but I had to put in my input on this disease because of how painful it is. Rest, take ibuprofen, and get something to rinse in your mouth, warm salt water helps a little bit, but get something that numbs it.

Comment from: jessmess223, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

It is sad that this information doesn't tell you how painful this virus is. I work at a daycare and a 1 yr old baby had the virus but his doctor said it was a reaction to antibiotics, that hfm doesn't occur during January. Well this baby was taken into the nursery with infants and of course the virus spread. My daughter is only 4 months old and it got to her last week. I stayed home with her and by the 3rd day I started feeling awful and was running a 103.3 degree temp and felt like I had the flu. Every time I sat up or walked my head felt like it was going to explode (like a migraine) and I couldn't eat. After two days of sleep and my fever finally broke I developed a very sore throat and red bumps on my hands and feet and yes they hurt so bad. I feel so sorry for any baby that has to go through this. I think doctors should be more educated on this virus before sending people back to work and children back to school/daycare to let this awful thing spread.

Comment from: Jenn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I am a 31 year old Pediatric nurse who came down with a fever and malaise Tuesday Feb 14. Wednesday I woke up with the worse sore throat ever. The clinic Doctor said that it was strep throat ad put me on Penicillin. That night I developed a rash on my hands which significantly got worse by Thursday morning. I went to the clinic again where the Doctor said it was a reaction to the medication and changed it as well as gave me a cream for my hands. Thursday evening my hands were so sore and my feet started to hurt I went back knowing that it was HFM. The Doctor confirmed it and was surprised the Doctor that morning didn't know it. Please look out for the signs and symptoms as they are very painful. I have much more sympathy for my patients now.

Comment from: Rn2heal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

The hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease is the worst that I have experienced. I had killer flulike symptoms for a day and half and then started breaking out on hands and feet. Being a nurse myself I google painful rash on hand and feet and found out I had this dreadful virus. It hurts to walk and write. I also have rash around my neck and one sore on lower edge of nose. I found out my boyfriend's grandson had this 2 weeks ago and he got it last week himself. I am surprised that the Urgent Care didn't know what this was on his body and they sent him to a dermatologist and she didn't know what it was. They really need to find a vaccine for this due to its miserable painful reaction it causes.

Comment from: kate, 13-18 (Patient) Published: August 20

Mine started out with a really horrible migraine, then a fever. After that I got ulcers at the back of my throat. A day later I noticed red spots on my palms and feet.

Comment from: arnold bumacod, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 18

my baby had FHM right now she only 13 months old only she a FHM to her mouth, butt and even to her private part im so scared for my baby im still confuse how can my baby got FHM, im worried for her health.

Comment from: Thishelpedme, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I am 18 years old and a few years ago I contracted the disease from my little brother during vacation. There were no sign of blisters on my hands or feet, but my throat hurt and blisters formed on the back of my tongue. I couldn't eat for a few days. Finally, on the last day of vacation, about four days later, I decided I was going to try and eat something. When I woke, I brushed my teeth and the back of my tongue. It hurt, but was definitely worth it. I don't know if it was the antibacterial properties of the toothpaste or if it was just going away on its own, but by lunch time I was able to swallow, and that afternoon it was practically gone. I wouldn't try this with infants, but for teenagers and adults suffering from this I know it can be painful and it's definitely worth a shot.

Comment from: n-b-hdz, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 28

My 9-month-old started with a few red spots, and then got a 101-102 F fever at night. I took him to the doctor in the morning and they told me he had HFM and that it was highly contagious, but that only young kids get symptoms and that adults rarely catch it. But when they do, they don't even realize it because they would not have any symptoms. She told me to alternate Tylenol and Motrin every five hours and to give him cold foods to numb his throat and that he didn't need any creams because the sores were not itchy or painful. I stayed home from work the first two days, not taking many precautions since it was a "kids' virus." Now, seven days later, my son is feeling better although he still has the sores. I am into my third day of HFM. I only had a day of fever and was feeling a lot better until the end of day 2. Now my hands and feet burn like I just dipped them in hot sauce and opening doors is a chore. I just want it to stop. How long before the itching and burning goes away? I just hope my son didn't/doesn't feel this pain. He doesn't seem to be, but if he did, he must be much stronger than me not to show it.

Comment from: squirel, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My 19-year-old daughter was in horrible pain. She went to the doctor, only to be told it was flea bites. After much research, we found pictures, and without a doubt, it looks like HFM. I guess it has to run its course. We did find that ice on her feet seemed to help.

Comment from: Mummy, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 13

I hate this HFM disease. My 15-month-old daughter has it, and hasn't eaten in two days. She is lucky to have drunk 150 mls in the last two days. I can't keep away from her as she is in so much pain. I took her to doctors today only to find out they didn't know what it was. I googled her symptoms not long ago to find out she has this, so we're going back to the doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: SeattleMom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My 13-month--old son caught hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) at daycare. He started with a low- grade fever for two days, and by day 3 had severe diaper rash, a bunch of spots on his forearms, a few across his back and on his hands and feet. He was confirmed for HFDM by the pediatrician. Fortunately, there aren't any ulcers in his mouth, although his appetite was definitely low for the first four days. A couple of the spots on his hands and feet have turned into blisters, but for the most part they are flat red spots Today is day 6, and he seems back to himself, although the ulcers in his diaper area are still healing. Unfortunately, I have HFDM now. Mine started with a few spots on my hands and feet that felt like needle pricks when touched. On the second day I had a 102° fever, headache, and sore throat. It's now day 3 and I still have a headache and sore throat and a bunch more spots on my hands. They are seriously itchy today and painful when touched.

Comment from: Izzy, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 03

My 14 month old has just been diagnosed with this horrible, painful, and ugly illness. Took three days and three visits for them to figure out what she had. The first visit, they thought she had a throat infection and prescribed antibiotics, second visit they assumed it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotics. Third visit the doctor suggested it was HFM. After reading everyone input on the illness I'm quite positive that yes this is exactly it. Was unsure as hers is up the legs and all over her genital area as well. Looks extremely painful and she can't walk at the moment because it hurts her so darned much. Very saddened but grateful to have found this site to help put my mind at ease as I was starting to get pretty annoyed with our Doctor.

Comment from: Florence Nightingale, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 30

After three doctor visits I was told it was just a virus. Then after a hospital visit I finally got the answer; my 18 month old daughter was diagnosed with HFM. Her rashes on her hands, mouth and feet were more severe than any of the pictures on here. I tried everything from vinegar, amolin, dermaveen and the only thing I have found that has eased her pain apart from panadol is aloe vera gel. I cooled it in the fridge for a couple hours so when applied it soothes the fiery itching. Seemed to stop her twitching so she could actually get some sleep. I'm passing this info on for anyone out there that is trying anything to help.

Comment from: Ron421, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

My wife and I both contracted this from our nephew on Saturday. Thursday, after lunch, I started feeling bad. By the time I got home I had a fever and extreme chills. This lasted all day Friday, and part of the morning Saturday and then I felt fine. At the same time, my wife started getting these strange painful bumps Thursday night. We didn't connect our problems to each other until we later casually mentioned them to my sister in law, who told us we had the disease. I now have the sores all over my hands and feet, my throat is sore, and it's Monday. My wife only got a fever for a few hours, but it wasn't until after she had already started showing bumps. Her sores are a lot worse than mine. While mine itch, and are mildly painful, she can barely walk or touch things. It seems that different people are affected differently by this illness, but overall it is just really unpleasant. I hope it goes away soon. I had never even heard of it before today, and I never want to hear of it again.

Comment from: Mary W., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

Eighth day and counting. I started with sore blisters in my mouth and feeling of malaise. Two days later I had a very high fever. I went to my doctor who knew exactly what it was. He gave me Traimcinolone dental paste (steriodal pain killer)and my white blood cells were up so he put me on an antibiotic but for the virus there is not much to do. My mouth is full of very painful blisters, along with an outbreak on my chest. Eating is very hard but gatorade is my new best friend. Dehydration is something you battle since it hurts to drink and eat. I would love to know how long this thing lasts. It is the most painful virus I have ever had.

Comment from: ChrisR, 25-34 Published: August 07

This is by far one of the most painful sicknesses I have ever had. It hit me like a ton of bricks at about 3 pm on Wednesday. I left work and didn't remember how I got home. After two solid days of 104 degree fever, my throat began to hurt. It is now day three, at 3:21am and I can't sleep because each time I fall asleep I am violently woke up by the excruciating pain that it takes to swallow. I have blisters on my hands, forearms, feet, in my nose, on my ears, on my tonsils, tongue and roof of my mouth. I stood up to use the bathroom about 20 minutes ago and everything was spinning and immediately felt sick to my stomach. Fever has made its way back to me now as I type this. Like I said, I have been really sick before, but this is definitely one of the worst!

Comment from: crystal, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 27

My three year old daughter and 14 month old son were just diagnosed with hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease today. I feel bad for them. Both have had fever, one had spots that went away, however my son's legs are covered as well as the majority of his arms and his mouth has a few spots. Neither has an appetite, but they keep liquids in them, and I just got them ice pops since my youngest cannot have ice cream. I have also used an oatmeal bath treatment on them at night, which seems to help throughout with their sleep. No medications were given - it seems funny with all the treatments out there nothing is out there that can help these little ones with this, or anyone with it for that matter.

Comment from: Inday, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

Our 2 year old daughter started to have low grade fever last weekend, then she was fine by Monday morning. She has been in day care for the past 2 weeks, started to get colds soon after starting day care. The rash came on her thighs, Monday night, I thought it was a usual allergy. But by Tuesday evening, even after applying hydrocortisone to the rash, it looked worse. I brought her to the doctor Wednesday morning was told she has hand foot and mouth disease (HFM). The doctor showed me the sores in her palate, which explains why her appetite was low, and cries most of the night for about 3 hours before falling asleep. Wednesday night, I had high fever, 102.8 and chills, sore throat. I didn't go to work until the fever subsided Friday. Thinking I just got usual sore throat, I went to work -- then the rash appeared on my hand Saturday evening. By late evening, the sole of my foot was sore with pins and needles sensation! I felt bad for my baby because imagine this pins and needles sensation on your feet and hands is present in your palate! She's better now -- I'm just starting with the HFM. The virus is very strong, incubation period is short.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Hand, foot, and mouth (HFM) disease is excruciating. I didn't realize my toddler had it. We thought it was just bad diaper rash. I received no treatment, however, did self medicate with ibuprofen, sore throat spray, and orajel on the inner lip blister. I started with a few bumps on my hands that didn't hurt, a mild sore throat, and general malaise. The following day I had white painful bumps on the back of my mouth/tonsil area and it was impossible to eat. Third day, malaise was better but sore throat was excruciating - bumps on hands (and now feet) were beginning to hurt. I'm on day 5 and can still only eat ice cream, milk (coffee milk :)), ice cubes. I don't think I ever had this as a child.

Comment from: Emilee, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 10

My 11 month old son has hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. It looks terrible. The first day my son had a fever of 102.4 and it would not go down. Finally it broke the next day but he started developing the blisters all over his body. He has it the worst on his face, arms and knees. He doesnt walk yet so he is in a lot of pain when he crawls. He doesnt want to eat anything but baby yogurt and sometimes you can get him to drink cold milk. I hope this goes away soon because we are on day 5 and it shows no signs of stopping. The doctor we saw told use to give him benedryl and malox for his throat pain and tylenol for the pain everywhere else.

Comment from: Sherp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Our 9 year old son came down with this hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease last week. First our son ran a low grade fever. Then went outside to watch some small fireworks, which ended up causing a grand seziure. We had to call 911. When we finally got to the hospital his fever was 104.4. And it was very scary. After a long night and two hospitals we were on our way home. Many tests. The next day we found out our son had pneumonia. Not to mention the rash on his hands were hand foot and mouth disease. It's been 8 days and our son has about 100 dots on him. He says it hurts to walk and it is very itchy. I wish doctors would be more helpful. We did get the magic wash for his mouth which helps a little.

Comment from: hoodwink23, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 06

It's weird, my son developed it while we were away on vacation, and he had it halfway up his legs and arms, and in the diaper area. He seemed restless at night, and we actually worried it was bedbugs! We had the hotel switch his portacrib! It didn't really seem to hurt him at all though. He still walked everywhere and ran with no problem. A couple days into his spots, my husband developed a fever and sort throat, and was generally all over miserable just like everyone else described, except it was excruciating for him to walk! He developed the spots too, but only on his hands and feet. My husband went to the doctor, and it took her a few days to diagnose it, but when she did, my son's spots finally made sense. It's weird how they both got it at the same time, but only my husband experienced pain from it.

Comment from: sickmama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I'm glad I'm not alone. My son had this but it was mild and only lasted a couple days. I broke into a high fever thought I had the flu was diagnosed with tonsillitis because my tonsils were infected, then two days later sores! I phoned the doctor and she said there isn't much to do for HFM just gargle with "magic" mouthwash, ice cream or popsicles and Tylenol for pain. I feel sorry for anyone reading about this and it says mild. This is a painful thing to have. I finally was able to take a day off and lay in bed all day and hopes it goes away soon. Any child who gets this, be patient. It is painful! Thank goodness for anything frozen, seems like ice is the only relief

Comment from: Jim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I experienced dizziness the first night of hand foot and mouth disease. On day two, I had cycles of hot flashes and chills with fever, headache, extremely sore throat, and aching joints. Day three, by far the worst, severe headache, severe sore throat, continuing fever and chills, aching joints, rash appeared around my throat, a few sores appeared on my hands and the bottom of my nose. I visited the doctor and was negative for strep throat. I was given antibiotics and pain medications. Day four, I was feeling better, minimal headache, sore throat and rash gone, had sores in the back of my mouth, sores on the bottom of my nose, sores on my hands, and sores on my feet.

Comment from: Sharoo, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 13

Hi, my 4yr old daughter was suffering from HFM disease. The treatment was Paracetamol and Linical or any Calamine lotion for local application on hands and foot.

Comment from: HFM, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I have an 11 month old baby and she was diagnosed with hand foot and mouth disease last week. The doctor did not give her anything for it, just told me to use Neosporin and Desitin rash cream because her most affected area is the diaper area. She had it in her throat and it was horrible to see her going through so much pain. We did not sleep for two nights in a row. She was fussy, restless, and constantly crying. Nothing was able to calm her down. Today is the third day and now I have it and my 3 year old.

Comment from: Daycare worker, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 23

My 2 year old son, has hand foot and mouth. I mean it looks like the most painful thing in the world, watching him not want to eat or drink is just sad, he is a big eater and a big drinker. It all started on his bum then spread to his genitals. I thought he got a horrible diaper rash, then they came out on his feet and hands after his nap. I though it's got be hand foot and mouth, he was fevering at this point but still happy and playful. Well he woke up in the middle of the night, and when I say he has blisters in his mouth I mean his mouth's almost white. That's how many there is. His lips are blistered and all over his chin. I can't believe the doctors say it's a virus and he just has to fight it. Makes me want them to get it just to realize the pain. There is so little and yet the only thing we can do is Advil, not right, there should be something for the pain. He said salt water, but it is too painful. Honestly it looks like the most painful thing in the world, it doesn't always start on your hands feet or mouth so if you see a rash other places just watch.

Comment from: dgn123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

Hi I found out this past Tuesday that I have hand foot and mouth disease! The symptoms actually started on Sunday morning and I had a very high fever, pneumonia, loss of appetite, chills, the worst headache ever (besides migraines), then proceeded on to more symptoms within the next couple of days very painful joints, huge ulcers on back of throat, then after 6 days massive sweating and not because of the heat,and on evening of day 6 finally feeling well enough to eat and drink.

Comment from: Cassadeelynn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

Being in the younger teen years, I didn't think I could just get something like this. I was not exposed to any children with this disease or anything and just simply got it one day. And I have major chills, a decent fever, headache, and tons of red bumps in my mouth and throat. But what I'm wondering, is why it is only affecting my mouth? There are no bumps whatsoever on my hands or feet. My throat is so sore that I haven't been able to eat or drink anything in the past week. It's miserable. I just wish that it would go away NOW!

Comment from: yoga, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I had chills and a sore throat for about 6 hours at work on a Monday. Came home and had chills all night and could not sleep (fever of 100). Stayed home from work on Tuesday and slept all day, still chills and sore throat. I could not sleep Tuesday night so went to the doctor on Wednesday morning with swollen feet, hands, and a sore throat. I was diagnosed with hand foot and mouth (HFM) and sent home with over the counter medicines. Symptoms were very painful and I could not sleep again. My feet doubled in size, blisters formed, and I was very inflamed as well. I went back to the doctor on Thursday (temp of 96) and was told I had a severe case with it also appearing in my mouth and on my face. I was sent home with hydroxyzine for itching and hydrocodone/acetaminophen for pain and sleep. I usually don't take medicine but it helped with the pain and itching on Thursday and Friday. It is now Saturday and the first day I could walk on my feet without looking like a baby just learning to walk! Still a little pins and needles feeling but not nearly like the past days. I still have blisters on hands and feet and swelling but they feel better. What seemed to help me was soaking my feet in ice water to pull the heat out of my body. Also I used aloe from an aloe plant on hands and feet and things felt much better the next day. I wore cotton socks around the first few days but let my feet air out once I had aloe on them. Probably better to let feet breathe but I was grossed out looking at them! I understand this is much more painful in adults than children and from a 48 year old, this is the worst thing I have had thus far. Hope this is helpful.

Published: July 10

Boy am I glad I found this site. I too experienced the severe body ache, fever, and dizzy effects of hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. That was day one. Day two came the mouth sores and bumps on the hands and feet. Day three, everything itches and hurts all at the same time. I even think I may loose a toe nail from this too. Thanks to all the people that posted great info about this disease.

Comment from: nalio, Published: July 10

I have hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease, but at first thought it was bed bugs! I thought it couldn't be HFM because I didn't have mouth sores, but I did have a sore throat. My doctor said not everyone with HFM gets mouth sores. We are now going to cancel our $360 bed bug extermination set for Monday.

Comment from: Michael, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

Nothing really to do for treatment of hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease. My son had the disease last week and now my hands and feet have the sores. My throat hurt a little over the weekend, but the doctor said I didn't have any sores in my mouth. I didn't have a fever, but I felt a little run down. I actually took my first nap in over 20 years, so I assumed that something wasn't right. All you can do is let it run its course. I am using an OTC anti-itch cream and that is about it. I did find that hot water makes the pain worse. Good luck to those who have it.

Comment from: Mommyof3, Published: January 20

My 8 month old was in so much pain orally that she couldn't eat, drink, or sleep. Her doctor called in Tylenol with codeine which helped tremendously. After her first dose she was finally able to sleep after 15 hours of no rest and was finally able to drink a bottle.

Comment from: , cocerned parent, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 21

My son, 5 years old, was diagnosed with hand foot and mouth (HFM) disease about a week ago. He showed all the symptoms, he had mild blisters around his mouth. But he only started having a fever and sore throat on the fifth day.

Comment from: Randi, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 09

My son has HFM and since it is a virus there is not much to do but I put oil of oregano on the spots that were really bad and they start to crust over and he no longer scratches them. This helped him go back to sleep cause he was so sore and itchy that trying to give him Tylenol was hard. Not sure if this will help but I have found that oil of oregano helps with a lot of rashes and other illnesses. It can be purchased at health food stores.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter