Patient Comments: Hair Loss - Women

If you are a woman, describe your experience with hair loss, including any treatments. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: lifeclinic, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 20

A few years ago I noticed I was losing my hair. As one of my friends suggested, I went with natural home remedies. I apply weekly egg on my scalp. Within one year I got the best results with naturally thick and shiny hair. I would like to say thanks to my friend. Using home remedies is the better way but it takes a long time to give results.

Comment from: Templess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

A few years ago I noticed I was losing my hair around my temple area and went to my dermatologist. He gave me shots for about 9 months but I still was/am losing my hair. I used the keratin product from TV, still nothing but going broke, no results of regrowth. I wonder what else I can use before deciding on hair transplant.

Comment from: Bernadette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I cured my hair loss naturally. I stopped using hair dyes a year ago and started taking vitamin C. I did other things but believe it has to be the vitamin C because it's the only change I have made long-term. My hair has regained its bounciness too, so it must be healthy now. It had become lifeless. My fingernails have also recovered from being brittle and cracking (vertical breaks) to being unusually strong! I also take cod liver oil.

Comment from: Devendra Panchal, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

When I was at age 10 to 17 my hair was looking good. Then at age 18 to 19 I went from home to study in the city. My face cut changed and my hair started falling both lateral sides and frontal. I believe scalp massage will be good for it, but I am doing it only at night.

Comment from: Amanda, Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My hair has always been my pride and joy. I figured since it is pretty healthy, it could deal with some bleach damage. And I figured the master stylist who did all the color corrections would know how much would be too much. I was wrong, and now I want to burst into tears every time I look at my hair or touch it. I just don't know what to do. My hair has also never been shorter than this and it breaks and falls out.

Comment from: angela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

My doctor prescribed iron Euro-Fer capsules twice a day for a month for the first time to build up my iron level. And in two weeks my hair started to fall out, looked like a bird nest, dry and brittle and itchy nonstop and even hot flashes! Before when I first saw him, my iron level was low to begin with, but I had a full set of hair on my head! And no hot flashes.

Comment from: mamawlilly, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 07

She is my mother and 88 years old and she does not take any prescription medication, and smokes 2 packs of cigarettes. She can't hear very well and can't see very well, sleeps fine, and doesn't do much. The problem is she pulls her hair out at the top all day and when she first goes to bed. She has a pretty big bald spot, I just don't know why.

Comment from: neha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I'm a 21 year old girl suffering from extreme hair fall since a week ago. I've not undergone any other treatment recently.

Comment from: Sandy, 65-74 (Patient) Published: May 21

After chemotherapy, I had loss of all hair, then it came back. Now two years later, I am having a thinning, and loss of hair.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter