Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Thyroid Problems Explained
Learn about thyroid problems such as hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, and more. Discover symptoms and treatments...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
Hair Loss: Causes, Treatments, and Prevention
Learn about hair loss in women and men. Discover hair loss causes and treatments as well as how to prevent hair loss....
Hair Loss Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
True or false: Genetic hair loss comes from the mother's side of the family. Take the Hair Loss Quiz to learn about your hair....
Human Body Quiz: Human Body Systems & Organs
The Human Body Quiz will help you learn about your little-known body parts! Take this quiz to learn more about your body and what...
Skin and Makeup Quiz: Test Your Skin and Makeup IQ
Are you doing right by your skin? Take the Skin and Makeup Quiz to learn how to make the most of your beauty regimen....
Picture of Trichotillomania
Compulsive hair pulling. See a picture of Trichotillomania and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Telogen Effluvium
Excessive temporary loss of telogen hair (hair in the telogen, or resting, phase) caused by trauma such as childbirth, surgery,...
Picture of Alopecia Areata
A common hair loss condition, alopecia areata, usually starts as a single quarter-sized circle of perfectly smooth baldness. See...
Picture of Traction Alopecia
Tight braids and ponytails can pull hard enough on hairs to make them fall out. See a picture of Traction Alopecia and learn more...
Picture of Tinea Capitis
Tinea capitis is also known as ringworm of the scalp. See a picture of Tinea Capitis and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Hair Transplant
Surgical approaches include various versions of hair transplantation (taking hair from the back and putting it near the front) or...
Picture of Hair Grafts
1–4 hair grafts. See a picture of Hair Grafts and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Unnatural Pluggy Hairline
Unnatural “pluggy” hairline using 10–25 hair grafts. See a picture of Unnatural 'Pluggy' Hairline and learn more about the health...
Picture of Alopecia Areata
Alopecia areata is a type of hair loss that occurs when your immune system mistakenly attacks hair follicles, which is where hair...
Picture of Female Pattern Baldness
Mistakenly thought to be a strictly male disease, women make up a significant percentage of American hair loss sufferers. See a...
Picture of Male Pattern Baldness
The male pattern baldness (MPB) form of androgenetic alopecia (there is also a female pattern baldness) accounts for more than...
Men's Health: Dealing With Body Odor, Sweating, Back Hair, & More
Most men struggle with belly fat, back hair, sweating, erectile dysfunction, gas, body odor, or bad breath at some point. Get...
Women's Hair Loss Pictures: Causes, Treatments, and More
Thinning hair and bald patches are surprisingly common in women. See the progression, causes, treatments and styling options for...
Beauty Problems Pictures: Cellulite, Stretch Marks, and More in Pictures
Learn the connection between your appearance and health. Discover what you can do about embarrassing beauty problems from facial...
Hair Pictures: 20 Hair Styling and Care Tips
Looking for the best kept hair secrets? See this hair care guide and get tips about hair that is thin, gray, curly, colored,...
Related Disease Conditions
The term "ringworm" or "ringworms" refers to fungal infections that are on the surface of the skin. A physical examination of...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
There are several types of thyroid disorders including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiters, thyroid nodules, and thyroid...
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE)
Systemic lupus erythematosus is a condition characterized by chronic inflammation of body tissues caused by autoimmune disease....
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the US. This conditions is caused by inflammation of the...
Leprosy (Hansen's disease) is a disfiguring disease caused by infection with Mycobacterium leprae bacteria. The disease is spread...
The time when boys and girls begin the process of sexual maturation is called puberty. During this time, both sexes undergo a...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Low Testosterone (Low T)
Low testosterone (low-T) can be caused by conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, liver or kidney disease, hormonal...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Burns (First Aid)
Burn types are based on their severity: first-degree burns, second-degree burns, and third-degree burns. First-degree burns are...
There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Alopecia areata is a condition that causes hair loss on the scalp and sometimes other parts of the body. It is believed to be...
Scalp Psoriasis (Psoriasis of the Scalp)
Scalp psoriasis causes red, raised, scaly patches that may extend from the scalp to the forehead and the back of the neck and...
Is Ringworm Contagious?
A fungus causes ringworm. Ringworm can be transmitted from person to person. Animals may also spread ringworm. Ringworm causes an...
Dandruff (seborrhea) is a skin disorder that results from neither too much moisture nor too much oil. Dandruff can be treated...
Cosmetic Procedures for Hair Loss
Second Source article from WebMD...
Ebola (Ebola Virus Disease or Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever)
Ebola hemorrhagic fever (HF) is an often-fatal disease that causes fever, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, stomach...
Thallium is a metal that can be found in small amounts in the soil. When thallium enters the environment through coal-burning or...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral...
Hodgkin's disease is a cancer of the lymphatic system with symptoms that include unexplained, recurring fevers, unexplained...
Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD)
Graft versus host disease (GVHD) is a condition that happens when immune cells from transplanted donor tissue attack the...
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Hair Loss - Treatments
What hair loss treatments have worked well for you?Post View 26 Comments
Hair Loss - Age and Pattern
How old were you when you first experienced hair loss? How would you describe or classify the pattern?Post View 8 Comments
Hair Loss - Vitamins
What vitamins do you take for hair loss? Have you noticed an improvement since taking them?Post View 3 Comments
Hair Loss - Options
What optional treatments have you tried for your hair loss? Are you happy with the results?Post View 3 Comments
Hair Loss - Telogen Effluvium
Describe your experience with telogen effluvium, including the suspected cause for your "sudden" hair loss.Post View 3 Comments
Hair Loss - Women
If you are a woman, describe your experience with hair loss, including any treatments.Post View 7 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Dermatologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Can Dogs Teach Doctors New Tricks?
- FDA Widens Access to 'Cooling Cap' to Stop Hair Loss in Cancer Patients
- Study Highlights the Beauty Industry's Ugly Side
- Drug Helps Fight Breast Tumors Tied to 'Cancer Genes'
- Haywire Immune Cells May Help Cause Baldness
- Scientists Uncover Root of Graying, Thinning Hair
- Hollywood Villains Are No Dermatologist's Friend
- Drugs for Prostate Trouble, Balding Not Linked to Suicide Risk
- Short, Bald Men May Have Their Genes to Blame
- 'Cooling Caps' May Halt Chemo-Linked Hair Loss
- Geneticists Get to the Roots of Hair Loss in Men
- Trump Takes Hair Growth Drug: Doctor
- Check Your Neck for Thyroid Abnormalities
- Health Tip: Coping With Hair Loss
- 'Cold Caps' May Halt Hair Loss in Breast Cancer Patients: Study
- Health Tip: Keep Hair Looking Healthy
- Should FDA Have Power to Recall Beauty Products?
- Arthritis Drug May Help With Type of Hair Loss
- Survey Says: Hair Transplants Make Men Look Younger
- Health Tip: Losing Hair After Pregnancy
- New Moms' Hair Loss Usually Temporary, Expert Says
- Health Tip: Losing Your Hair?
- Today's Hair Style Could Cause Tomorrow's Hair Loss
- Could a Cellular Tweak Someday 'Switch Off' Gray Hair?
- Scientists Grow and Transplant Functioning Skin Onto Mice
- Black Women's Hair Styling Choices Can Cause Hair Loss
- Scientists Report Finding 'Gray Hair' Gene
- Health Tip: When New Moms Lose Their Hair
- Cooling Cap to Reduce Chemo-Linked Hair Loss OK'd
- Drugs Used in Cancer, Arthritis May Help Fight Hair Loss
- Health Tip: Health Conditions May Lead to Hair Loss
- Health Tip: Losing Your Hair?
- Male Pattern Baldness Tied to Prostate Cancer, Study Suggests
- Drug Restores Hair in Alopecia Patients: FAQ
- Early Research With Drug Restores Hair in Patients With Alopecia
- Hairless Man Now Hairy, Thanks to Arthritis Drug
- Health Tip: Having Poor Circulation in the Feet
- Hair Loss Treatments in the Pipeline
- Baldness Cure May Have Inched a Bit Closer
- Nexavar Approval Expanded for Common Thyroid Cancer
- Researchers Report Progress With Growing Hair
- Don't Let Hair Care Lead to Hair Damage
- Baldness Drug Propecia May Put Some Men Off Alcohol: Study
- Balding Men Could Face Higher Heart Risks, Study Finds
- Is Early Baldness in Blacks a Clue to Prostate Cancer?
- Novel Drug Approach Shows Promise Against Breast Cancer
- Do Bald Men Face Higher Risk of Prostate Cancer?
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Also Help Menstruation, Skin, Hair
- Baldness Drug May Cause Sexual Side Effects: FDA
- Expert FAQ: Dealing With Excess Body Hair
- African-American Women Have Specific Hair Issues
- Male Pattern Baldness: New Root Cause Found?
- Vitamin A May Help Reduce Melanoma Risk
- Most Americans Don't Need Extra Selenium
- Health Tip: Protect Your Feet From Fungal Infection
- Men's Legs May Be New Source for Hair Transplants
- Zelboraf May Double Survival for Some Melanoma Patients
- Erivedge Approved to Treat Basal Cell Carcinoma
- CT Scan Dye Containing Iodine May Affect Thyroid
- Bipolar Drug May Spur Weight Gain, Thyroid Problems: Review
- Genes May Give Clues to Severe Form of Lupus
- Divorce, Heavy Drinking, Smoking Linked to Hair Loss
- Could Divorce Trigger Hair Loss in Women?
- Scientists Find New Clues to Aging
- FDA: Prostate Cancer Risk From BPH, Hair Drugs
- Robot Hair-Transplant Device Gets FDA Nod
- Sexual Side Effects From Propecia, Avodart May Be Irreversible
- Breast Cancer Drug Eribulin Extends Survival
- Selenium May Protect Against Bladder Cancer
- Scientists Find Possible Genetic Roots of Type of Hair Loss
- Survey: Most Baldness Treatments Don't Work
- New Hair Loss Gene Is Identified
- FAQ: Radiation Risk From Medical Imaging
- Balding Before 30 May Cut Prostate Cancer Risk
- Hair Loss? It May Be Iron Deficiency
- Drug May Fight Women's Hair Loss, Too
- Hair Care Disasters: Caution with Relaxers and Dyes
- Male-pattern hair loss
- Options Abound for Hair Loss
- Hair Loss: The Sweet Hair After
- Women and Hair Loss: The Causes
- Hair Loss: Treating it Naturally
- Hair Loss and Women
- Hair Loss In Women: Treatments That Work
- Women and Body Image
- Cancer Treatment: Coping With Hair Loss
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter