Patient Comments: Gynecomastia - Experience

Please describe your experience with gynecomastia. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: distorted, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 21 years old now and I started to feel something wrong about my breast when I was 14. Some said it was common for a boy during puberty. But I turned 16 and my breast just got bigger, so I decided to get diagnosed. The doctor used ultrasound to see what's in my breast, and the doctor said it was due to excessive subcutaneous layer on my right breast. The doctor said it wasn't cancerous and it made me feel okay, a bit. But then as I grow older, I feel my body terribly distorted.

Comment from: Ahmad Shoaib, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

I am 20 years old, I used to feel that I have slightly enlarged breasts since I became 16 years old. I did a lot of exercise to get rid of it, and I became very thin but my nipples are still prominent. I don't like to wear t-shirts because of it, and it continues to shatter my confidence. I was not aware of gynecomastia until a week ago when I had medical checkup to join Army, and the doctor has recommended me surgery but I am thinking of trying some medication first.

Comment from: Oscar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I started to get concerns about my chest when I was around 15. Somehow I managed all the school days but never enjoyed trips to the beach or swimming. And of course jokes about my breasts were on day list. Then I visited the doctor and he told me the best would be to have the surgery done for my gynecomastia. Never really thought of it but I went for it. I had consultation with the doctor, where he explained the procedure. Even if it sounded scary I went ahead with it. It was a good experience. The clinic looked good and all the staff was very helpful. I stayed in for one night and was free to go. However it was still swollen and I could not see the good result straight after. But now it looks great. I am not embarrassed to go topless anymore, so can enjoy summers finally after so many years.

Comment from: Danchise, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I was diagnosed with de Quervain's tenosynovitis last year October and went for occupational therapy for 3 months but no help at all. In January this year I decided to try acupuncture and went through 10 sessions of acupuncture. Now, I can write, open cans, and do other simple chores. It's not complete recovery but at least it's so much better now.

Comment from: Macready, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

I'm a 35 year old male. I have had weight issues all my life. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 and a half years ago. I was well overweight and going through depression. I changed my diet and my life around and lost over 30 kilos. But I cannot, for the life of me, lose my man breasts. The stories I can tell you! The psychological scarring that it has left on me from since I was a little boy. I hate/loathe summer due to the fact that now I'm skinny, I still can't wear tight tops. I'm convinced people are staring at my chest. I hate myself and what my body looks like. I have tried every type of exercise to get rid of my man breasts and, no matter what, they're always there. Swimming without a top on at primary school was horrifying. Playing local sports where we have tops on/tops off game and I'd get into the tops off team was, well, let us just say I would make up pathetic excuses to stop playing. I've lived my whole life like this. I'm embarrassed to see a doctor to find treatment as it means I may need surgery and, well what do I tell my family and my wife's family! My 3 young kids ask me why my breasts are so big. I'm just so mentally ruined from this.

Comment from: Lewisswine, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have struggled with gynecomastia for a few years. I even had cousins with the same issue however their situation cleared up earlier than mine. Anyway I gave up all soy and that seems to do the trick. Hope it works.

Comment from: Jinekomasti, 25-34 (Patient) Published: May 16

I have a problem with gynecomastia since puberty which is intense.

Comment from: deVO54, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I developed obvious breast at the early onset of puberty and have suffered from gynecomastia for over 45 years. It has always been a source of extreme embarrassment, even at home with my family. Needless to say, any time I had to disrobe in front of others, after gym class at the health club, even at the doctor's office and for medical procedures, this was a very humiliating experience. I have never appeared in public, even at the beach without a shirt of some kind and have even worn a shirt while having sex on many occasions just to hide my chest. I know I have always been reluctant to allow anyone to even hug me for fear they could feel the breast under my clothes. This includes family and friends and I have avoided intimacy with someone specifically because of the breasts. I have hard lumps and at times they are quite painful. I was always very thin for most of my life and managed to hide my 'deformity' even while working as a professional model by wearing a constriction bandage or undershirt. But after a severe injury in 2002, I was inactive for several years. I gained a lot of weight and the size of my breasts can no longer be concealed. I have always wanted to have them surgically reduced to a more masculine appearance, but was even too embarrassed to discuss my issue with a doctor. This malady runs in my family. My father was several effected and my younger brother to a lesser degree than myself but he was always in such extremely great physical condition all his life he too managed to conceal his problem very well. I managed to avoid a lot of the teasing and bullying I saw other young boys and men enduring simply by avoiding those situations where I might be required to take off my shirt. I was never active in sports, only took one year of physical education in high school, the minimum allowed to graduate and even then found many ways to avoid actually participating in games that required a shirts versus skins situation. I played shirts or not at all! And I never took a public shower making up a religious objection to public displays of nudity. I came up with that all on my own and actually got away with it. I am on this site as part of my research to actually try get something done to improve the look of my chest. After 6 decades of being so body conscious I don't know that I'll ever be able to go topless even around my home. I don't take my shirt off except in the absolute privacy of my bath or bedroom, but I just want to finally feel better about myself.

Comment from: bornnaked1967, Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I am 47 years old and I didn't know there was treatment out for this wretched problem of gynecomastia. I have a 65 inch chest and this problem has held me back from many things including water sports, taking my shirt off in public. It destroyed me as a young adult, dating sucked. I was a freak. It has caused me many problems, now hard to breath. I have sleep apnea. I want help but cannot afford expensive surgery. I have been married two times and humiliated by spouses because of this problem. Do I just give in and accept it and embrace it or do I still seek help to rid my body of this medical nightmare! I would also like to add that I developed depression issues and anxiety over these huge man breasts and I have not done steroids or supplements of any kind. I had abused many other drugs to relieve me from my personal pain but I have been clean and sober for 20 years now. I am watching my sons so if I see this problem developing in them we will get them the help they need, the help I never got.

Comment from: nonya, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I developed gynecomastia when I hit puberty. It runs in the family. I have two brothers who had it plus my dad and myself. I started working out like crazy in hopes that I could make it go away. I was very strong, fit and loved playing sports. However, working out did not work. I was teased and humiliated to no end. I was called lots of names as well. I finally lashed out as a teen and fought with a couple of the kids that teased me. When I was 18 I had surgery to remove the now-hardened tissue. In 10 days I was back in the gym. Within a year I had filled in the space left by the removed tissue. I am 47 years old today. My bright, athletic son is now in the same position I was in as a child. He is 14 years old, working out and embarrassed. We are going to see a surgeon tomorrow for a consultation.

Comment from: dhamhir67, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I"ve had gynecomastia for as long as I can remember. I am embarrassed to take off my shirt at home, I don"t go anything that has to do with swimming. My self-esteem is almost non-existent. I"ve spoken with a doctor before and then my insurance changed and I have never brought it up since.

Comment from: rajkishor, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I am 24 years old and have developed breast ever since I was 12. I do not see any sign of reduction and I find it very embarrassing as a result I never go top bare in public or even at home. I don't feel any pain or lump, instead they are soft and loose. I often think of going to a doctor but don't know which doctor to consult. I have never taken any kind of drugs or medication ever.

Comment from: str, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

I am a 22 year old man. I have gynecomastia, 2 unwanted breasts. I don't like them. They slightly decrease my confidence level and I want to cure it.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

Entering puberty I got upper growth rather than lower. I was very allergic to poison ivy and took a lot of cortisone.I was heavy but over the summer of my entering high school lost a lot of poundage by swimming. My nips were large but the breast fat lessened. I was in my thirties when the subject of sexual abuse arose. My lower parts increased by about 40% at erection. I am gaining weight and now have breasts. The trouble is that to touch my nipples is painful now.

Comment from: oldman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

My nipple became swollen and all around my breast area was and is still very sensitive to touch. I had a mammogram today to confirmed this condition, and to rule out male breast cancer, as I have already lost a brother to this, and it also runs in my family.I have many other medical conditions, which may have caused this condition. My Doctor will consult me about a plan soon.

Comment from: Henry, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

Since the time I was in grade school I have not been able to participate in any sports due to this condition. My self-esteem is gone and I do not do anything in public, especially swimming.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter