Patient Comments: Gynecomastia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your gynecomastia? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: SwollenTits , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I used steroids without anti-aromatase which led to gynecomastia. It stopped paining after taking Nolvadex along with other stuff in my post cycle therapy (PCT), but after 7 months it started to hurt me again both sides, I wonder if that means it is growing. I checked my total and free testosterone level and showed them to my doctor and he said they are normal. Maybe I should check my estrogen level or just take Nolvadex again!

Comment from: Arbiz, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have got lumps on the left side of my breast since 2 months. It has remained constant. I used to take marijuana before and it appeared and suddenly stopped, but it has not gone. It is decreasing my stamina day by day, and while playing football I get tired quickly. But I have no pain. I even matched it with symptoms of breast cancer in males but I have not got any of them. I am 20 years of age. I am not sure if it is gynecomastia or something else. I am so worried about it.

Comment from: Mishko007, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I use steroids. I'm 31 years old, 5 ft 9 inches, weight 186 to 190 pounds, and approximately 13 to 17 percent body fat depending on water intake and time of day testing (full body reading). I use just under 1 gram of testosterone cypionate per week (750mg). After 13 weeks of this cycle I've noticed a hard bump under my left nipple and excess fat, the same as when I was going through puberty at 12 to 15 years old. I've tried hard to lose it with cardio and diet. It's started in my right nipple as well now but, less. My plan is to start on a little cadaster and see if that helps because I don't want to end my 20 week cycle early. I've been taking anastrazole every other day. I guess that isn't enough for some. I'm just wondering if I can take clomiphene while on cycle without messing anything up. The shape of my chest is actually really nice however, I don't want the skin stretching out too much. The skin stretching and being new to this size is the only reason why I still have good form in my pectorals.

Comment from: Alan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I am a 50 year old. I am over weight and have been all my life. You would suspect that I would have breasts (gynecomastia). My weight seems to be more located in the chest area. I have had all the name calling throughout both my youth and adult life. Summer is the worst time of year having to wear less and thinner clothing. I recall one summer about 4 years ago walking near my home, a young man said hey, you need a bra. I was so embarrassed. However as I have wanted to lose weight I put my appearance to one side and do go to the gym and swimming. Yes I am always the fattest one there but I am doing something about it. I have seen other men my size (weight) yet they do not have such large breasts. They are obvious no matter what I am wearing. I have asked about surgery but have been refused saying that I must lose at least 3 stones, I am presently 20 stones. I have lost some weight but my breasts have remained the same size.

Comment from: Concerned mom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 03

I have a brilliant, loving 16 year old son. My son was recently diagnosed with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Along with this, he's been really working on his diet and exercising. He's losing weight, unfortunately he still has large male breasts. It kills me to see him constantly pulling on his shirts so they're not form fitting, won't swim unless he has a T-shirt on, and his self-esteem is quickly decreasing. With school beginning, he dreads gym class. Thanks to all the above for sharing your stories.

Comment from: hotpot70, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I work out 3 times a week, noticed enlarged left breast with tenderness and some pain after work out on butterfly machine about 3 weeks ago. It was extremely tender, swelling, and painful under certain body movements, even taking deep breaths, it's painful. It got worse on a daily basis, I think it has peaked out. I will start medical treatment after doctor's diagnosis.

Comment from: swollen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I have breasts that started with all the medications that I am on. It's so bad I have 2 wear bras. This is so hard to accept. This is causing a lot of stress. I am afraid of the knife.

Comment from: AnoN, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

One day I turned over while laying down, and my left breast hurt from something. I looked at it the next day, and felt a small hard lump beside or under my nipple. I was worried that it was cancer, but researching a bit relieved my worries? It was tender for 4 days, and the pain has gone away. Before this, I had no other symptoms of puberty, other than a bigger appetite. It has been 2 weeks since I noticed the lump. I will be going to the doctor's in a month.

Comment from: Anon., 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I started to see my nipples enlarge over a period of a month or two, and when I felt them it was as if there were lumps inside them, which I now know to be mammary glands. However, now, about six months after first noticing, it has subsided a little but is still detectable. It knocks my confidence. I have to wear looser t-shirts so they are less noticeable and I quit swimming class because of it. I am dreading a school trip where we go to a water park, as I am slightly overweight and don't want all the girls to see my huge nips. I hate this condition, but I am glad it isn't as bad as it could be.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter