Patient Comments: Gum Disease - Treatment

What treatment do you use for your gum disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: WELDENTAL, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: January 16

Gum disease is caused by the bacteria that creates plaque. This bacteria thrives on sugar, which is in almost everything we eat. Xylitol is a safe natural sweetener that is almost identical to sugar, except this harmful bacteria can't metabolize it and starves. Minimize this bacteria and your gum disease will no longer be a problem. Use a xylitol based toothpaste, xylitol water flosser, xylitol mints and/or xylitol gum.

Comment from: victorddm, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 10

Deep cleaning should be done once a year to prevent gum disease. This procedure should be done when a simple cleaning will not do the job. If a patient's teeth are not severely stained, do not have deep pockets and there is no sub-gingival calculus then a simple cleaning is sufficient. However if there is bone loss, sub-gingival tartar and deep pockets then deep cleaning must be done to prevent the progression of periodontal disease and severe gum infections that can destroy the bone.

Comment from: jaguar girl, 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 12

I originally started seeing blood when I cleaned my teeth. Then there was tenderness when I tried to put my sleep apnea device in my mouth (it is like dentures). The device had been smelling of bad breath for some time, and no amount of cleaning the device would get rid of the smell. I am now taking antibiotics for my gum disease. I'm also taking an anti-epileptic medication.

Comment from: Abbey12, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

For my husband's gums he had a procedure called Periolase. This involved lasers to treat the gums. A regular dentist can do this as long as they are properly trained. There is no pain involved and the results are better than the traditional method of cutting the gums away.

Comment from: Campustown Dental, 0-2 (Caregiver) Published: September 19

There are several surgical and nonsurgical remedies the periodontist may choose to implement for gum disease, depending upon the exact state of the teeth, gums, and jawbone. Nonsurgical treatments, if periodontitis isn't advanced, may include less invasive measures including scaling, root planing, and topical or oral antibiotics. If you have progressive periodontitis, treatment may necessitate dental surgery, such as flap surgery, soft tissue grafts, etc.

Comment from: Jase, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

I have receding gums at top and bottom so bad it's actually eating into my bone; and my teeth are loosening up.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter