Gum disease is caused by plaque and may result in tooth loss without proper treatment. Symptoms and signs of gum disease (gingivitis or periodontal disease) include receding gums, bad breath and pocket formation between the teeth and gums. Treatment depends upon the stage of the gum disease, how you responded to earlier treatments, and your overall health. Read more: Gum Disease Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Dental (Oral) Health Quiz: Test Your Dental Hygiene IQ
Take the Dental Health Quiz to test your IQ of oral hygiene, cavities, and common tongue and gum diseases. This quiz covers...
Cosmetic Dentistry Before and After Photos
How can cosmetic dentistry improve your smile? See before and after pictures of orthodontics (braces), dental implants, crowns,...
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
The Ugly Truth About Your Toothbrush & Germs
Learn the ugly truth about your toothbrush. Are you practicing good oral hygiene? See how to store and keep your toothbrush clean...
Bad Habits That Wreck Your Teeth
Explore which dental habits are terrible for your teeth. Is chewing ice bad for your teeth? How do you avoid rotten teeth? Learn...
Top Problems in Your Mouth
Learn about some of the most common problems in your mouth such as sores, oral cancer, TMJ, painful gums, bad breath and more....
Dental Images of Cavities, Dry Sockets, Gingivitis
Learn about dental problems such as cavities, gum disease, bad breath, and oral cancer. Explore procedures such as root canals,...
Related Disease Conditions
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Learn more about cavities including symptoms, treatment, and prevention. See how tooth decay, plaque, and bacteria contribute to...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
A toothache is a pain on or around a tooth. It may be caused by a variety of things from a cavity, abscess, or even sinusitis....
Bad breath can result from poor oral hygiene habits and may be a sign of other health problems. Bad breath, also called...
Menopause is the time in a woman's life when menstrual periods permanently stop, also called the "change of life." Menopause...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Kawasaki disease is a rare children's disease characterized by a fever that lasts more than five days and at least four of the...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
An abscessed tooth is an infection within a tooth that has spread to the root. Symptoms of an abscessed tooth may include pain,...
Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)
Dry mouth is a common side effect of many prescription and non-prescription drugs and certain medical conditions. Symptoms of dry...
Wisdom teeth are the third set of molars that people get in their late teens or early twenties. Impacted wisdom teeth that only...
Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)
Bruxism is the medical term for teeth grinding. Bruxism may be caused by stress or anxiety and often happens during sleep....
Pericoronitis is inflammation of the gum tissue around the molars. Pericoronitis commonly occurs in teens or young people when...
The time when boys and girls begin the process of sexual maturation is called puberty. During this time, both sexes undergo a...
Oral Health and Bone Disease
Osteoporosis may be linked to bone loss in the jaw, which in turn, leads to tooth loss. Low bone density may result in...
Gum problems may be caused by improper brushing and flossing, gum disease, canker sores, treatments and hormonal changes....
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Chewing Tobacco (Smokeless Tobacco, Snuff)
Chewing tobacco (snuff or smokeless tobacco) has more nicotine absorbed into the system than by smoking a cigarette. Chewing...
7 Alzheimer's Disease Stages and Symptoms
The signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's disease depend on the stage of the disease. Some doctors and researchers disagree in regard...
Is Gingivitis Contagious?
Gingivitis is inflammation of the gums. Poor dental hygiene, stress, smoking, some medications, and a poor diet can cause...
Protect Your Teeth: 19 Bad Dental Habits to Avoid
Bad dental habits can wreck your teeth. Teeth grinding, chewing on ice, playing sports without a mouthguard, and eating and...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Mouth Sores
- Loss of Taste Sensation
- Bleeding Gums
- Lump or Mass on Gums
- Painful Gums
- Bad Breath
- Metallic Taste in the Mouth
- Bad Taste in the Mouth
- Gum Disease
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Smoking Seems to Weaken the Immune System: Study
- Tongue Piercings May Bring Harm to Teeth and Gums
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Gum Disease
- Health Tip: Recognizing Triggers for Gum Disease
- Health Tip: Keep Your Breath Fresher
- Heavy Drinking Could Raise Your Gum Disease Risk
- Gum Disease Tied to Yet Another Deadly Illness
- Can Treating Gum Disease Keep Blood Pressure in Line?
- Are You Ignoring Gum Disease?
- Do Your Pearly Whites Sometimes Cause You Pain?
- Gum Disease May Be Linked to Cancer Risk in Older Women
- Health Tip: Manage Dry Mouth
- Group Urges Tougher Limits on Chemical in Shampoos, Cosmetics
- Health Tip: Bleeding Gums During Pregnancy?
- Marijuana May Make Your Gums Go to Pot
- Healthy Gums Tied to Longer Lives for Women
- Health Tip: Attacked by Plaque
- More Evidence Ties Gum Health to Stroke Risk
- Dentists at the Front Line in Diabetes Epidemic
- Health Tip: Get Your Mouth Healthy Before Cancer Treatment
- Health Tip: Reducing Your Heart Disease Risk
- Could a Germ Link Gum Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- E-Cigarettes Not Good to Gums, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Why Floss?
- Is All That Flossing Really Worth It?
- Health Tip: Evaluating Your Chances for Gum Disease
- Long-Term Pot Use Tied to Gum Disease in Study
- FDA Launches Ad Campaign Against Chewing Tobacco
- Is Seniors' Dental Health Tied to Mental Health?
- CDC: Federal Anti-Smoking Campaign Still Paying Off
- Health Tip: If You Have Bad Breath
- Severe Gum Disease May Boost Death Rate of Kidney Disease Patients
- Health Tip: Diabetics, Watch for Gum Disease
- Study Suggests Link Between Gum Disease, Breast Cancer Risk
- Toothlessness a Clue to Deadly Heart Disease?
- Health Tip: Do You Have Gum Disease?
- Another Downside to Diabetes: Tooth Loss
- Postmenopausal Women May Be at Risk of Gum Disease
- Prevent Tooth Loss and Dental Work With Good Gum Care
- Health Tip: Get the Facts About Gum Disease
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Gum Disease
- Oral Health in Women of Childbearing Age Needs Improvement
- CDC Readies Latest Graphic Anti-Smoking Ads
- Placenta Might Have Its Own Helpful Bacteria
- Health Tip: Why Teeth Are Sensitive
- One in 12 Older Americans Struggles to Afford Food: Study
- Oil-Swishing Craze: Snake Oil or All-Purpose Remedy?
- Health Tip: Keep Your Breath Fresh
- Typical Gum Disease Treatments Won't Help Ease Diabetes, Study Finds
- Health Tip: How Diabetes Affects Oral Health
- Health Disparities Persist in America: Report
- Brush Your Teeth, Help Save Your Heart?
- A Link Between Gum Disease and Alzheimer's?
- Pricey Dental Implants Not Always Necessary, Study Finds
- Cholesterol Drugs May Boost Your Gums' Health, Too
- Poor Oral Hygiene Tied to Cancer-Linked Virus, Study Finds
- Colon Cancer Linked to Mouth Infection, Gum Disease?
- Dental Care Safe for Pregnant Women: Experts
- Can Poor Dental Health Cause Dementia?
- Annual Dental Cleaning May Be Enough for Some: Study
- 4 Billion People Worldwide Have Untreated Cavities: Study
- Health Tip: What's Behind Bad Breath?
- Health Tip: Don't Smoke for a Better Smile
- Health Tip: When a Bite Isn't Right
- Health Tip: Signs of Periodontal Disease
- Severe Gum Disease May Be Linked to Impotence
- Health Tip: When It's Smart to Have Wisdom Teeth Removed
- Health Tip: If Your Teeth Are Sensitive
- Almost Half of U.S. Adults Have Gum Disease
- Health Tip: Cleaning a Young Child's Teeth
- Dental Woes Abound for Developmentally Disabled: Study
- Gum Disease More Common in People With RA
- More College Women Smoking Hookahs
- Gum Disease, HPV May Play Role in Head and Neck Cancers
- Does More Dental Plaque Mean Higher Chances of Dying From Cancer?
- Severe Gum Disease, Impotence May Be Linked
- Is There Proof Gum Disease Causes Heart Disease?
- Health Tip: When It's Wise to Have Wisdom Teeth Removed
- Health Tip: Prevent Periodontal Disease
- Health Tip: Warning Signs of Gum Disease
- Treating Gum Disease May Help Diabetics Avoid Complications
- Health Tip: Am I at Risk for Gum Disease?
- Quitting Smoking May Halve Risk of Oral Health Problems
- Licorice Root May Cut Cavities, Gum Disease
- Getting Your Teeth Cleaned May Help Your Heart
- Self-Control in Childhood Brings Adult Success
- FDA: Popular Mouthwashes Make False Claims
- New Immune System Clue to Low Back Pain
- Brushing Teeth May Keep Away Heart Disease
- Treating Gum Disease May Thwart Preterm Births
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter