Patient Comments: Group B Strep - Treatments

What was the most effective treatment for your group B strep? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: txGIRL, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

When I was tested today to give blood my hematocrit was 54. I've been having problems with it and my hemoglobin being high, doctor advised me to give blood every 8 weeks for polycythemia.

Comment from: Happy girl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I have had group B strep (GBS) for a few years now, I believe it started on my skin. I got an itchy rash near my bikini line, which I thought was hot tub folliculitis. It spread to my genitals and soon after I began to have UTI (urinary tract infection) like symptoms. Then I got hemorrhoids, then chest pain. I was tired and weak all the time. Then my joints started to ache. I was bloated. I thought, wow thirties are tough! I finally got insurance after two years of this. I found out it was group B strep causing all of it! I did a round of amoxicillin and it was gone. Six months later it came back! More antibiotics and it has gone again. Two months later back again. I"m on 14 days of Augmentin, it"s supposed to be a little stronger. We"ll see! I hope it works. By the way, I"m a healthy 33 year old with one child. No signs of GBS when I delivered her.

Comment from: kassy, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 12

I tested positive for group b strep and was given the antibiotics during labor, which was induced. My son still contracted it at the age of 3 weeks old. He ran a temp of 104.6 he was in the hospital for 1 1/2 weeks then sent home on an IV for 10 additional days. The doctors never told me how deadly this is for new borns. I'm kind of glad they didn't, I think I would have fallen apart. He has a slight learning disability but overall is healthy and fine. However I wish the doctors would have listened to me from the get and he would not have had to suffer. I kept taking him to the ped center because he was super fussy and would ball up every time he ate. He also would not have bowl movements without me helping by using a thermometer. They kept sending me home telling me that he was colic and lactose. It got to the point that he would not sleep. Cry and cry then he went 9 hours without eating, then finally he broke a fever. So if you are mom and you know something is wrong with your baby and you tested positive for group b and your child is acting like this and in serious pain make the doctors test him or her.

Comment from: Frustrated, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I've recently had problems with my tongue. I was split, burning, and red. A swab and culture came back with Strep B of the tongue. My physician said this was a "first for her." I'm on Z-pak antibiotic.

Comment from: Loridrid, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I had a baby in 1987 born with GBS and back then they really knew nothing about it. She lived 24 hours. I'm glad they test for it routinely now. It was a senseless way to lose a baby when all you need is antibiotics to clear it up. I had 3 children after her and they were all GBS free. I was on antibiotics during labor for precautions.

View Stages of Pregnancy Slideshow Pictures