Patient Comments: Group B Strep - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with group B strep. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Chan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I am a healthy 59 year old woman. I exercise 5 days a week, and live a relatively healthy lifestyle. I developed a fluid discharge, and knew that it wasn't a typical urinary tract infection, or yeast infection. After seeing my gynecologist, she cultured me and came back positive for beta strep. After a week of amoxicillin, I am currently free of symptoms. But I am flummoxed as to why this happened, and has never happened before. I'm glad it was nothing more serious.

Comment from: Kristian, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I am a healthy 26 year old woman. I found out when I was pregnant that I was a carrier of group B strep. I was given antibiotics and I delivered my son who is now 2 years old and healthy. About 6 months after having him I developed an infection that the doctors misdiagnosed for about a year as bacterial vaginosis, but it was actually group B strep causing a heavy discharge. I have not taken antibiotics in probably 8 months because they did not help. I seem to be healthy other than this abnormal discharge. It is going on two years of having this. The doctors don't seem to know much about it. If anyone gets answers and finds a cure please post your story. I also have bowel issues which makes me wonder if this could have something to do with it, seems this is how it is colonized in these local areas.

Comment from: Gramma4566, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am still dealing with heart, lung, and pancreas damage 7 years after a strep B acquired during surgery with dirty hands/instruments. Aortic valve stenosis will require surgery for repair. I am still on insulin. Lung biopsy along with heart valve repair to treat inflamed scar tissue still there after 7 years. The gift that keeps on giving.

Comment from: Collp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I tested positive at 32 weeks for strep B, but when my son was born, we both were given high doses of antibiotics. Mine were intravenously given, his given in three doses within a 24 hour period. My son, we found out, 6 weeks later didn't have strep B. However, fast forward 5 years and my son now has autism and a mild intellectual disability. I don't understand, if I am a carrier why didn't I have this with my first son. I wonder if men can be carriers of strep B. It's so strange to have strep B with one child but not the other. Only difference I have seen was a metal clamp used while doing a Pap test. Also they tell us our babies' immune system needs to build up after birth but we are making them weaker by giving all these antibiotics! Too bad there isn't a way to test quicker after a baby is born to check to see who needs antibiotics or not. I wonder if there is a link between autism and antibiotics.

Comment from: lynnec, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 04

After giving birth to my daughter she was taken from me at birth as she was not breathing, we didn't even know what sex she was as they ran to intensive care with her. Later that day she made a recovery and all was well. My daughter is now 7 years old and although she looks a normal healthy girl she has severe learning difficulties, she's almost 8 and she can't read, write or spell. We're now going through all sorts of tests to see how much damage has been done to brain due to the strep B. I would never have known about any of this as I didn't even know what strep B was until I started researching it recently. I wish all the children with strep B all the best and hope there isn't as much damage to their brains as there is to my daughter's.

Comment from: Gurlygirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have been having frequent urination, lower left back pain, lower abdominal spasms, and my bladder felt full all of the time. I went to several doctors in 2013 and they tested me for everything under the sun, to no avail. I went to another doctor three weeks ago and the test came back positive for group B strep. I had no clue what that was. She treated me with amoxicillin and then a week later it came back. Now I am on Augmentin for 10 days. I am hoping this goes away. I don't have any children, and I don't know how I could've gotten this bacteria or how it became active.

Comment from: c williams, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My experience with strep B is burning on the inside of my vagina as if someone has lit a match and placed it in my vagina. I have not had any success with antibiotics. The urologist I see is not concerned because she stated that the colonies were not significant enough to worry about.

Comment from: tinabonomo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

When I was 23 I gave birth to a full term baby boy in 1995. He was doing well so I went to rest since I was in labor for over 8 hours with him. About 2 hours later I was awakened by the nurse telling me that they had to get blood from me and that they were trying to get my son stabilized. The nurse told me that they were going to transport him to the children's hospital because they didn't have the equipment there to treat him. My obstetrician/gynecologist (OB/GYN) came in shortly after that and he did a culture on me. It came back that I had group B strep. They were able to get my son's blood pressure stabilized and they transported him. My OB/GYN released me so that I could be with my son. As my husband showed up to take me to the hospital where they had transported my son we got a call at the hospital where he was born at and the paramedic proceeded to tell me that my son had passed away in the middle of transport. After I did further research on the group B infection it turned out that I had it in 1989 also when I gave birth to my daughter. She is mentally and physically disabled. Some of her mental disorders are sight impairment, hearing impairment and her feet quit growing. She's 25 and only wears a size 3 shoe. She also has 18 chromosomal disorder and that's where the rest of her disabilities falls in. Then in 1997 my husband and I gave birth to a healthy baby boy again but this time the doctor would not let me go into natural labor, he scheduled me to be induced a week early so that way they could give me antibiotics before the labor really kicked in. We now have a very healthy 16 year old but I always sit and wonder if it only took 30 seconds to swab the inside of the uterus why didn't the doctors test for that a long time ago. I have two very special children one my baby girl and two my guardian angel who passed away at 7 hours and 56 minutes old. All I can say to any pregnant woman is please get tested for this disease.

Comment from: Jemma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have just found out that my daughter who only lived a precious 16 hours had developed pneumonia due to me having group B strep. The infection was severe and quickly spread when my waters where broken. I gave birth 3 hours after my waters broke, but the infection passed quickly giving her pneumonia which made her too weak to survive, I had never heard of strep B until a few hours ago. I never was tested for strep B, maybe if I was it may have saved her, but maybe not as it could have shown negative. It has destroyed me losing her, she was perfect in every way.

Comment from: Ladyb, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

Unknown to me I carried strep B. I had fever during labor, my hind waters had broken 22 hours previously and so my son was infected. The nurse said to me "why didn"t you tell us you had Strep B"? I had no idea what she was talking about and when I questioned it during our month long stay I was fobbed off. So second time around I told them what happened and they gave me antibiotic during labor, my second son only contracted surface strep so with a week of antibiotics he was ok. But the past three years I have suffered with hives, starting at the ankle and going up the body, dry scaly skin patch rashes to my legs, joint pain, weakness to muscles and tendon injuries, allergy increase, hair loss, breathing difficulties, brittle nails, clicking joints, one after the other sinus and urine infections, verrucas and skin tags, bloating, and burning knees. And it's just this week after much research into each of the above I learned that they can all be linked back to Strep B or A. I called the doctors and asked them to check my blood for it. I also had an extremely low vitamin D level of 7 and very low foliates which I rectified but a month after, it returned to the above state, including anaphylaxis. I am so onto this on Monday and will keep you posted.

Comment from: GroupBSurvivor91, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was born May 25th 1991 with group B streptococcus. Within the first week that I was born I was rushed back to the hospital where my doctor told my parents that I had the infection. I was immediately taken from them where I was then hooked up to many machines as well as hooked up to a heart monitor and seizure monitor. My parents told me that I am very lucky to be alive. I stayed in the hospital for two weeks fighting the infection not even a month old. Both of my parents remind me every day about how fortunate I am to be here, and I believe I am as well. With all of the medication I took I'm really lucky to be here. I am now 22 with a son of my own who was not born with the infection and I am so grateful for that.

Comment from: priscilla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was 30 weeks pregnant when my twin boys were delivered by C-section. Four hours before delivery my nurse told me my oldest son's heart rate had increased. The doctor came to my room with an ultrasound machine and we both watched him for an hour. My son was not breathing or moving. I knew something was wrong, but I did not know what. After he was born, the doctor said "he was just sleeping." After suffering from a fever overnight, I was finally able to see my boys in the NICU late in the evening. The NICU nurse told me he had strep B and my heart sank. I asked the nurse how this can be; he was delivered by C-section. The nurse told me I had strep B and took an antibiotic before surgery. It was too late for my son to feel the effect of the antibiotic. I knew I had placenta abruption but to add strep B to it made things worse. I was upset the blood test was not done earlier to prevent him from getting the infection. I am glad he recovered from the infection within a week and will be one year old in two weeks. Thankfully my youngest son did not get the infection but was given antibiotics as a precaution.

Comment from: tdopp, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

In 2004 I found out I was a group B strep carrier when I went in for my 20 week routine ultrasound. During the ultrasound they found I was starting to dilate and sent me to the hospital to meet with high risk obstetrician. They did an amino and it came back positive for infection. Somehow the group B strep crossed the membranes and infected the amniotic sac. My water broke the next morning and we chose to induce labor. Our baby boy was born at 21 weeks and lived with us for about a half hour after birth. I personally feel that although rare this can happen and testing at 35 weeks is too late. I miscarried the following year and finally 23 months later we had a healthy baby boy. I took antibiotics throughout my pregnancy after my first trimester knowing it was a viable pregnancy. I was positive before taking the antibiotics and negative at my 35 week test. When I had my fist baby my state did not routinely test for it during pregnancy. My oldest was hospitalized when he was only seven weeks old. In hindsight, most doctors now think it was secondary onset of Group B that caused his unknown fever and hospitalized him for 2 days.

Comment from: poh, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I tested negative at 36 weeks for strep B, but when my daughter was born, we both were very ill with strep B. My water had broken and then I was in labor for 18 hours, before finally doing an emergency C-section. My daughter had to be resuscitated at birth and has learning disabilities. We were lucky that she lived. She spent 10 days in the hospital, I spent 5. I was so sick the first 2 days that I was not coherent. After that experience, I was scared to have my next child. I had scheduled deliveries with antibiotics before the deliveries. My next 2 children are fine. If my daughter ever had children, I would have her take antibiotics before the delivery as a precaution. I have always had yeast infections, so that was interesting to learn that there is relation. I wonder if men can be carriers of strep B.

Comment from: kelik, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I thought I had a yeast infection so I called and my doctor, who gave me 3 days of Diflucan. I went in to see the doctor because my symptoms had improved but not gone away. They did a pap test and the only thing they found was group B strep. I don't understand how or why I have a group B infection in my vagina.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: May 20

Within 3 weeks after my daughter's birth she became I'll and I was told she had meningitis due to strep bacteria. It left her blind, with cerebral palsy and severely retarded. She died at age 16. I was never told how she contracted it. At the time we had assumed somebody with strep throat had gotten in contact with her. I found out myself later what Group B Strep was and asked my doctors to test me for group B strep in my other 3 pregnancies. From then on I begged every pregnant woman I met to spend the $25 for the test. When my younger daughter became pregnant, she was tested at 37 weeks and tested negative. So you can imagine my horror when my newborn grandson was diagnosed with Group B Step when he was 3 hours old. He was talking to a bigger hospital 60 miles away where he was treated for a week than sent back to our small town hospital where he stayed another week. I am so glad to report he fully recovered and doesn't have any lasting affects. He is a smart, bright and oh so cute 2 1/2 year old and I am a very happy grandmother.

Comment from: littleangel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I gave birth to a baby boy in 1992. I didn't know anything about Group B strep back then. They did not test for it then, nor did they mention it back then. However, I was obviously positive for it because my firstborn son was positive for it and died from it six hours and 18 minutes after he was born. I was told it was more common for boys to get it than girls. The following year, I gave birth to my daughter. My doctors of course treated me with lots of antibiotics before delivery because of my previous experience. My daughter was born free of GBS. Losing my son was a horrible way to get a lesson in GBS. I treasure my daughter, but I will forever miss my firstborn son. If you are a pregnant woman reading this, make sure you are tested for Group B strep. It can cause death.

Comment from: LM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

This is the only place I have seen GBS and yeast infections together. I had severe "yeast infections" during my pregnancy which I treated, at my doctor's recommendation, with over-the-counter remedies several times; no improvement. I had excessive discharge but no odor/itching all the time. I did test positive for GBS during routine screening at 36 weeks of pregnancy and received antibiotics during labor. However, when I first went to the hospital, thinking my water had broken, I was told that I just had a severe yeast infection with discharge that my water had not broken. They sent me home. I truly believe my water had broken and my baby was probably exposed during the more than 24 hours between that time and when my baby was born. He had early-onset GBS, received NICU/antibiotics then, had late-onset at 5.5 weeks of age, with another hospitalization and IV antibiotics. It looks like the medical pros did what they were supposed to do, except that a GBS infection was not suspected or treated during my pregnancy. Thank God our son is just fine. Other two children have been born without any problem; I received treatment during labor with them also, of course.

Comment from: strepbmomma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I had a group B strep screen come back positive 12 years ago when pregnant for my last child. I was treated and cured and he was born normal and healthy. However, the group B strep came back with a vengeance. I guess I am colonized with it in the vaginal/groin area. Most of the time colonization does not cause problems for people. Unfortunately for me it does. I suffer from a disease called Hidradenitis suppurativa and the sores from it become infected with the group B strep it is awful. I have been on numerous antibiotics all to no avail. No one has suggested IV antibiotics, but I am willing to try it to get rid of this awful bacteria once and for all. I was wondering if there was any thing I could do on a daily basis to discourage the growth of these bacteria.

Comment from: kjd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I retired and moved to a new area. I felt I had vaginal problems since the move. I treated myself for yeast several times and yet the discharge and discomfort stayed. My doctor did the culture which was group B strep and I was treated with clindamycin vaginally. The infection was cleared, but now, 45 days later, I am having the problem again. This is the first time in over 30 years that I have not had chlorinated water.

Comment from: nk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had a pap test rejected due to unknown bacteria. Then I was given an antibiotic. I then developed a minor yeast infection and was treated for that. Two weeks after that, what I thought was the yeast infection came back in full force with all the severe symptoms of a yeast infection and sores. I was in severe pain. The doctor thought it was an outbreak of genital herpes. They did a culture, and it came back as group B strep. I am still waiting on the results of the STD test, but I am confident that it is only B strep. The antibiotics are helping tremendously!

Comment from: kay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have been dealing with "vaginitis" for 5 years. I was diagnosed first with a yeast infection and then a bacterial infection by 3 doctors and one NP. Two weeks ago a family doctor finally diagnosed me with B Strep during a routine pap smear. I'm on my first round of antibiotics. Symptoms: extreme dryness, itchiness, extremely painful intercourse, and discharge. Finally, there is an answer, although the doctor said that I'll probably be dealing with this for the rest of my life. I wonder why I haven't been diagnosed with this sooner, I've had 3 kids in those five years.

Comment from: 60yroldfemale, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

In January 2013 I was diagnosed with group B strep and a urinary tract infection after a urine culture. I had lower left groin pain and lower left back pain, along with headaches, joint pain, and swollen armpits. I had a cystoscopy in January 2013 and was ok. Now in September 2013 I got the same diagnosis by lab tests at my general practitioner. I go back to the urologist next week.

Comment from: Luvmyamstaff, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was diagnosed with a yeast infection in my belly button and under my breasts. I was given creams and powder which helped the itch but did not cure the infection. I then had cultures taken of my belly button and tongue along with blood test. They showed that I have Strep B. I'm now on antibiotics.

Comment from: elfin_delight, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am pregnant with my first child and am to give birth to her sometime in the next three weeks. I am 37 weeks now and found out during my doctor visit that I tested positive for Group B Strep. I will be given antibiotics when I go into labor but I still can't help but feel scared, especially for my daughter. It is nice to feel not so alone.

Comment from: Dora, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 15

When I went to the hospital in labor back in 1976 they tested me for the group B strep because they said it was showing up with lots mothers to be south of town. I gave birth to my daughter about an hour later. Two days later they took her away from me saying I had tested positive and she tested positive with it in the nose and throat. They gave her the heavy duty antibiotics and we both went home 3 days later. She was perfectly healthy but did have some learning problems in school. My doctor said this was something my husband and I passed back and forth but if it's not sexually transmitted why would he have told me that?

Comment from: strepbmom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I was diagnosed with group B strep at about 12 weeks pregnant. The OB/GYN started me on amoxicillin, which I took for my entire pregnancy. I was retested at 36 weeks and showed no signs of the group B strep. My water broke at 3 a.m. and when labor was going slowly, I was given IV antibiotics during delivery. My very healthy son, now 11 years old, was born without any signs of the group B strep. They watched him for two days, and we were sent home with no complications. This treatment obviously worked very well for me and my son and didn't seem to have any severe side effects.

Comment from: Dee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

My son was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis at 11 days old in February 2001. I was told that I could not have done anything to contribute to this. He was hospitalized for three weeks and treated with three antibiotics. They said he would probably be mentally retarded, but he is a healthy 8-year-old. Now I'm four months pregnant, and I'm so worried this might happen again. I decided to use some of the testing they have now, and I'm starting to realize that I could have possibly passed this group B strep to my son. I plan to get tested and follow through with additional tests as needed now that I have been fully informed. I beg any other pregnant women to get tested as well because my son was fatally ill.

Comment from: Hope, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I have had fissures in my vaginal area off and on for about eight years. One doctor told me some women are just prone to that. Another thought I had herpes. I have been tested several times for STDs with negative results. I just went to the doctor again, and he scraped the cuts and grew a culture. I have group B strep. I have never been pregnant. He prescribed amoxicillin. I hope it gets rid of it for good.

Comment from: Group B Strep, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I have just been diagnosed as having group B strep after a PAP smear test. I kept on having re-occurring thrush for many years, and I still get it. I have been treated with antibiotics. I have not gone back to the doctors to see if it has cleared.

Comment from: AN Cruz, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 16

When I was pregnant, I was always looking up what kind of tests they would be doing during pregnancy. One stood out: group B strep. Since I was always being tested for something, I thought they tested me for it. I was shocked to find out that my almost 2-month-old had it after I took her to the hospital for a 101 degree fever and moaned as if she was in pain. It surprised me because she was fine the day before. She was admitted to the hospital, was poked and probed until they found out what was wrong. She was put on antibiotics for 10 days.

Comment from: she-ra, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

This is my second pregnancy with group B strep, and knock on wood, I haven't had any complications. My daughter is three years old now and in perfect health. I'm being induced next Friday for my son. I simply go in a few hours early and get an IV antibiotic. It's simple; it's not that bad. Also, my pediatrician still released us after 24 hours as opposed to 48!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had several yeast infections and cases of bacterial vaginosis over the past three years. Recently, I started taking Prozac, and then I had what I thought was another case of bacterial vaginosis one week before my period, which had been happening every month for three months. I went in and had a pap smear, and they said it was Group B strep.

Comment from: Mollyolly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have had group strep B twice now. The first time, it just felt like a normal UTI. The second time, it felt like a UTI with a yeast infection. The antibiotics clear it up fine, but I seem to have trouble with this and UTIs.

Comment from: hildee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I'm 71 years old and after having my annual blood tests, the results of my urine test came back with a group B strep infection, which I found out is usually only found in pregnant women. I had been having a full and uncomfortable feeling in my bladder but no pain to speak of.

Comment from: Deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I was misdiagnosed with yeast infections for almost 10 years. I asked for the culture to be done, and it came back positive for strep b. While taking the penicillin, I developed an allergic reaction. I am searching for another treatment course.

Comment from: strepbpat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

Before I knew I had group B strep, doctors tried for a year to treat me for yeast. It didn't work, so then they tried to treat me for a bacterial infection, then yeast, and back and forth. Finally, after becoming pregnant for the second time, I got diagnosed with B strep and was prescribed ampicillin. I was cured! I've had it twice since then, and I keep asking for my ampicillin.

Comment from: robyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

Can Group B strep ever be sexually transmitted? A vaginal culture taken during an annual exam (and before I become active) revealed "normal vaginal flora," but no mention of Group B strep. Once I became active, I developed symptoms similar to the comment (above) and a vaginal culture showed a heavy growth of Group B strep which was treated with clindamycin cream. I don't want to experience the symptoms again and am concerned as to whether I was exposed during sex.

Comment from: kasmom09, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I did not know anything about this until I was close to giving birth to my daughter who's now almost 4 yrs old. I had a fever and so did she. I am glad they tested me for it because had they not, she wouldn't be here today. They gave me I.V. antibiotics the whole time I was in labor. She still ended up in isolation overnight. I didn't get to even touch her until the docs okay'd her. I don't think there is any long term effects on her. Her speech is a little behind but I have her in a class for that. I'm almost too scared to have another baby because with each child the risk goes up that something much worse will happen. I want to have another child. I'm just not sure if I will again or not.

Comment from: vanhuman, 55-64 Female Published: May 04

What is the percentage of a baby with strep b meningitis of coming out normal? My great nephew is in the hospital with strep b meningitis. He is 1 month old. His mother had strep b when he was delivered but the baby was never checked or treated. The mother was later treated with antibiotics. I hope and pray that the baby comes out of the coma normal.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Pregnancy & Newborns Newsletter