Patient Comments: Graves' Disease - Treatment

How is your Graves' disease treated? What medications do you take? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Cat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have Graves' disease and I'm taking 10 mg of methimazole twice daily. I just started this medication in February. I have gained weight and my hair became very thin and starting to break and fall out.

Comment from: Mom2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I was diagnosed with Graves' disease 3 weeks ago and I flat out told my doctor I was not taking any medication that would cause me to gain weight. I cannot take the radioactive iodine (RAI) because I have two young children. I"ve seen the women in my family go from a size 2 to a size 12 in a short amount of time and I have hidden my body image disorder that I have been treating for over 15 years. I saw a surgeon this morning and will be having surgery in 2 weeks. My thoughts are, 90% of people who have Graves' disease are stuck taking anti-thyroid medications for 18 to 20 months before either the disease goes into remission or it requires surgery. I was firm with my doctor and said if I was most likely going to have surgery, then do it now. Either way you"re on a thyroid medication for most of your life anyway, why not be the one that doesn"t make you gain weight. Stop suffering and take charge of your health; you"re the patient, speak up and be honest.

Comment from: jmb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had been on methimazole 5mg daily s' disease, for 5 years. Then my endocrinologist dropped me to 2.5 a day. This new endocrinologist took me off it totally in November. I feel like awful. I have gained weight, am cold all the time. I have chills at night and am achy. I asked her if I could go back on my medications. She did blood work and reported my thyroid is functioning. I have a goiter. I give up.

Comment from: Nan_inthesun, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I started out on methimazole, 20 mg twice a day, and have been up and down in terms of my dose. I have been unable to achieve remission through oral medications, but I want to keep trying as long as I can without any side effects from it. I also take propranolol which is a beta blocker, and Alprazolam for anxiety. I was already on fluoxetine for depression.

Comment from: AP its Me, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

So I was finally able to see an endocrinologist, which I have been trying for 5 months. The doctor says my numbers are extremely high, and can go into a thyroid storm at any point. I am now taking 50 mg methimazole, and 100 mg metoprolol daily. After being on it for 2 days I am no longer in constant tremors. And I feel so relaxed finally. I don't feel my heart beating so hard. So I started researching Graves' disease and stumbled on this site. Had I seen this stuff prior to my appointment, or taking the medicine, I would have been a wreck of nerves. Everyone's reactions and treatments are different. And it sometimes takes some time to find the right stuff. And I am smaller than I have been in 10 years, but I would rather be big and healthy, than skinny and weak, and threat of dying at any time now.

Comment from: Lynda, (Patient) Published: April 28

I can relate to everyone here and what we have all gone through! My last lab tests showed that I am going into remission from Graves' disease, or eurothyroid, finally after 3 years of continuous suffering. I also see that there is no guarantee here on how long it will last, a few weeks, years, or forever. I don't think there is one thing that has been mentioned that I haven't had, not to mention the people who haven't a clue what it is like to live this way. For me it has been agony, but my doctors literally saved my life. I am very grateful to them. I have lost weight, I weighed 90 lb. on diagnosis and my blood pressure was 190/95. I have gained almost 20 lb. I take methimazole, propranolol, Celexa, Klonopin, and amphetamine salts. In other words, this former body builder is a zombie! I walk with the brain fog, totaled my car, blind spot! I fear every day. I never know what to expect, and don't know the day, date, or what I ate last night! I'm a shell of my former self, a hermit, and a recluse sans doctor appointments! Really sad! I was always totally against medicines, but when you have no choice you use them. I hardly have an appetite, yet at 5'2' I now weigh 135 lb. when I was 115 prior to all this. I lost the weight from the medicines, but when my boyfriend had a stroke I gained 10 lb. back because I stopped smoking with him! I have never had a belly in my life, but now I'm bloated from the salt I am craving during this remission, so I am retaining water.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I started on carbimazole 20m for Graves' disease but my doctor has increased to 45m, 3 in the morning 3 at noon and 3 at night now.

View the Hyperthyroidism Slideshow Pictures