Graft versus host disease (GVHD) is a condition that occurs in people who have received stem cell or organ transplants.
GVHD occurs in both acute and chronic (long-term) forms. Signs and symptoms of acute GVHD include
In chronic GVHD, the symptoms and signs can include
- dry eyes,
- dry mouth,
- difficulty swallowing,
- hair loss,
- mouth pain,
- skin discoloration,
- muscle and joint pain,
- loss of appetite, and
- weight loss, among other symptoms.
Causes of graft versus host disease (GVHD)
It is caused by a reaction in which immune cells present in donor tissue (the graft) attack the host's own tissues. GVHD is a complication after bone marrow transplantation (stem cell transplants) from both related and unrelated donors.
Other graft versus host disease symptoms and signs
- Difficulty Swallowing
- Dry Eyes
- Dry Mouth
- Hair Loss
- Itchy Red Skin
- Liver Inflammation
- Loss of Appetite
- Mouth Pain
- Muscle and Joint Pain
- Skin Discoloration
- Weight Loss Among Other Symptoms
Main Article on Graft Versus Host Disease Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Cancer: How to Lower and Cut Your Risk of Cancer
About a third of all cases of cancer can be prevented. Find out how to lower your chances of getting it.
Cancer: Symptoms of Common Cancers in Men
Can men get breast cancer? Cancer symptoms men need to watch out for include skin changes, difficulty swallowing, rapid weight...
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Colon and stomach cancer symptoms can surprise women but can be treated if detected early. Learn about breast cancer signs and...
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Examples of Medications for Graft Versus Host Disease Symptoms and Signs
- denileukin diftitox - injection, Ontak
- etanercept (Enbrel)
- infliximab (Remicade)
- lymphocyte immune globulin, anti-thymocyte globulin (rabbit) - inj, Thymoglobulin
- mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept)
- mycophenolate mofetil hydrochloride - injection, Cellcept
- mycophenolate mofetil suspension - oral, Cellcept
- pentostatin - injection, Nipent
- prednisolone (Orapred, Pediapred)
- sirolimus - oral, Rapamune
- sirolimus solution - oral, Rapamune
- tacrolimus (Prograf, Astagraf XL, Envarsus XR)
- thalidomide (Thalomid)