Patient Comments: Gout - Diet

What modifications have you made to your diet to alleviate gout symptoms and signs? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Florida Male, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have greatly reduced the amount of red meat I consume. Eat more ground turkey, white meat, chicken, lean pork, etc., avoiding red meat whenever it is possible. I did give in once and I enjoyed a big steak and a baked potato one night - the next morning I had a gout attack. I do not drink sodas, teas, or sports drinks, water only; at least three quarts of water per day.

Comment from: Nia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had been experiencing pain in my joint especially toe. It was a bit swollen and red, the pain was so hard that I decided to look for a doctor. I had a medical checkup of which stated me having high level of uric acid. My doctor said that I can't eat vegetables for a while, so I ended up eating red meat, seafood, etc., but thanks to this now I know what to eat.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter