Patient Comments: Gout - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your gout? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: sam, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I read comments by westcoastin, 55-64 male (patient) published on October 21, and others, and I wonder how they got diagnosed with gout. My doctor called it gout, when I went to him about pain and inflammation (redness on top of foot) and pain in all the toes in the one foot, and some pain in the toes of the other foot. Despite calling it gout he suggested compression socks, orthotics for comfort, but no x-ray or other diagnostics. He did say to watch for food that can contribute, but the only high level food I eat is fish. Now, I am reading about gout and wonder if this is what I have.

Comment from: bigtoe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have been having some symptoms of gout in my big toe for about 6 months. I started taking 1000 MG of grapefruit seed extract for sinus issues and this has taken the pain in my big toe away, presumably because my body is more alkaline. I take two 250 MG pills, 2 times a day.

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I had my first attack of gout 17 years ago. I tried everything. I am not a fan of pills, so I started different natural treatments. I have found all natural tart cherry juice to work. I drink about an ounce or more a week depending on how much beer and steak I go through.

Comment from: Clarence, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I have never had a gout attack in 70 years but my father had them frequently. I am not overweight and never sit still. After an active day with drinking minimal water my foot had a numbness/charley horse like sensation, not painful but it was there. Within about 3 hours I could not walk on my foot. I remembered the gout of my father and read up on the causes. Food wise and alcohol wise I tend to be middle of the road some but not excessive. Then I noticed drinking water to flush the uric acid. So in the next 4 hours I drank as much water as I could, probably a gallon. Then I noticed my foot had a tingling -like mini touches (maybe blood circulation). After about a total of 8 hours my foot started feeling significantly better. After a full night's sleep I can barely tell I had a problem.

Comment from: JP, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

I have pain in the right sitting bone because of bursitis, more so when sitting. I have suffered from gout in the past and take allopurinol daily.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

I have had two bouts with the gout and now know the pain associated. I had blood work done with a 9 reading for uric acid. My doctor said that wasn't real high but I still got a second bout. I found that on the first case that cherries and the juice helped with treating it. Also I went on a diet not excluding the alcohol and a second bout accrued. I am now going to try the B -12s with extra B-6 and PABA. Hope this keeps me from starting medication. I am cutting the alcohol too!

Comment from: kammeres, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 02

The cause of my gout symptoms is quite novel: in Feb 2007 while dancing in a nightclub with my wife, an extremely overweight woman lost her balance and stomped on my right foot. She went over 300lbs easily and was wearing high heel shoes, so the full force of her body weight was concentrated at the heel tip on the top of my foot. The next morning my foot was swollen so large I could not lace up my boot. It was very painful to walk on, also. The doctor diagnosed it as gout brought on by trauma and prescribed naproxen. The swelling went away after a week, but since that time I've had about five or six recurrent episodes in either foot brought on by seemingly nothing other than exposure to very cold temperatures or incidental impact of my foot against heavy objects in the course of my work. Episodes last about a week, and then pain and swelling subside. I found this site very helpful, I had never considered Aleve as a potential medicine for treatment.

Comment from: dong321, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

The best way to treat gout is to catch it when it's starting. I've had it since my early 20s. It starts in my big toe with a hot, sensitive, and throbbing pain that travels into my ankle with a sharp pain that makes it unbearable to walk on. It finally settles back into the toe with a dry, tender pain (less intense than the beginning of it). There were a few times that I was able to catch it early, and sometimes I would go a few years without a prolonged attack. But every year, regardless, the symptoms emerge. When you begin to feel the slightest tingle or abnormality, grab yourself a couple extra-strength Advils. If you catch it early, it won't even begin to swell and it won't develop further. Also, drink lots of water. If, by chance, you are unfortunate enough to develop extreme symptoms, continue to take the Advil, as instructed on the label or by your doctor. Avoid fatty foods and stay off your feet. If you need to take time off work – especially after a few days when it gets into a more tender area – go to the doctor for that note. If you can't take Advil, your doctor will probably prescribe something for you. Again, the best way to try to prevent a gout attack is to take action immediately.

Comment from: big dad, 45-54 Male Published: November 30

I had my first attack of gout when I was 34 years old. I was going through a relationship crisis and the stress was unbearable. That's when I had a most horrendous pain in my big toe which I couldn't figure out what was going on until I limped in to my doctor. I believe stress and alcohol are triggering factors. Unbelievable pain. I have been prescribed indomethacin over the years and it seems to work pretty well for me but I over did it once and was very sick for a day.

Comment from: bkb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I am 45 just experienced my first experience with gout. The pain is way too much to bear. I've been to two er in two days because of this the first nothing for the pain and did the blood work for gout and positive as I laid there in such pain that i thought I could die and sent me home with naproxen. Then as the night progressed so did the gout back to the ER and was given something for the pain but the pain is there and Indocin which I just started so we will see. I hope to never get it again it has been very painful and I feel all your pain. My 1st episode was my right big toe which my whole foot was triple the size of the other. I wish you all the best in this horrible thing they call gout that we have. I hope to never get it again but that's not likely.

Comment from: Syd, 25-34 Male Published: October 25

I am 31 and have suffered intermittently since the age of 17 in three different positions. Left ankle, left mid foot and generally the most excruciating, not to say the other spots aren't, my right big toe. Allopurinol once daily is the only treatment i was lucky enough after so many painful years to be prescribed that has worked. To stop taking this medication though is super painful again which I have found out the hard way, very hard way!

Comment from: Jenner, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

Drink yellow ginger brew regularly. Boil fresh yellow ginger with water and make it your beverage for the whole day. Me, I take 1 to 2 liters a day of warm brew. I've been doing this for over a year now. It still attacks once in a while, but it's not like before that it takes 3 to 7 days before the swelling and pain is gone. Whenever I feel some symptoms of my gout, I immediately take 2 colchicine and 1 diclofenac sodium. Just overnight and its gone. It really helps me a lot. I can now go to work regularly and doesn't worry of what I eat.

Comment from: Milan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had gout for more than 25 years now. Over the years, it would occur every two months and it would last a week or so on my knees, ankles, and feet. Medications didn't help much. I read an article where doctors discussed the use of orange juice. I now drink a large glass of pure orange juice every day and have been gout-free for a year and a half now, except my last birthday. I drank way too much booze and my gout attack lasted a week. Pure orange juice works. Check with your doctor every so often, just to be on the safe side.

Comment from: Pip, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 21

I have had gout attacks in all major joints, currently in my right knee, middle right finger, left index finger, and my left knee is still weak from previous bouts with gout! I have had my left knee drained many times and now it has finally found my right knee. I have not figured out what causes gout flare-ups. Some people suggest too much red meat, but this past Thanksgiving it hit me in my right ankle like a burning torch. Turkey? Who knows? My best preventive medication has been one Colchicine and two Indocin pills. Now I've just found out that Colchicine is not available, and I had to purchase Colcrys at $160 for 30 tablets. I have friends that suffer from gout also, and we always try to see if there is something new out there. Lord help us all!

Comment from: Allan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I suffered with gout from around 35 to 65 years old. I took many courses of action, including almost all of the drugs mentioned here. The pain was so bad one day I tried something I had read about but didn't quite believe: a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water gradually reducing over a one-week period. From the first day, the pain went and after five years has not returned.

Comment from: gramma, 65-74 Female Published: December 06

I first experienced about three years ago; it was so painful and unbearable that I couldn't even touch it. The home remedy I used was potato peelings, and it worked for me. I peeled the potato into the widest strip I could and placed it directly where the pain was. I wrapped gauze to keep them in place. The next morning I woke up with no gout! Remembering that this was a home remedy, I was quite skeptical about it. Now I have changed my opinion. Thanks for letting me share.

Comment from: karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have had gout for 2 years now! The best thing i have found to take is Sweet Cherry Tart pills (found at Swanson Health)...I take one a day or if i eat shell fish i will take 2! Works great for me and its natural and cheaper than a prescription!

Comment from: Tones, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I suffer from gout every 6 to 18 months. As soon as I have an attack, I start taking copious amounts of fish oil. For me, I am certain that it reduces the symptoms by more than 50 percent – sometimes even more than that. But then again, it may do nothing at all as the natural process excretes.

Comment from: Philco, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I suffered severe gout for several years before it was diagnosed. I have been prescribed most of the medications mentioned here over a period of 10 years, all with limited effects. About six years ago, I was prescribed etoricoxib – 120 mg one per day. Now if I feel an attack starting, I immediately take etoricoxib – just one tablet has never failed to prevent an attack. Occasionally, I miss the signs and may need to take two doses, but have not suffered a severe attack for six years. I hope this helps some people.

Comment from: painless, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

In my mid-20s I had my first gout attack. I thought someone drove a spike through my toe joint. Now in my mid-50s I have been pain free. My only known fix, other than immediate pain killers, was something I read in a holistic medicine book at the time. It said to take vitamin E and B6 together. I have done this since my 20s and I no longer get the gout. I have tried to find the old book, but to no avail. The book related that one vitamin needed the other vitamin to help keep the uric acid in liquid form and moving as opposed to forming crystals.

Comment from: oldman, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

Eat cherries! Fresh, frozen or whatever you can find. Drink cherry juice, drink water, avoid foods that are known to cause problems. Have not had gout in more than 2 years. The last time I started cherries right away and the event was short lived. The joint in my foot has returned to normal since I have been avoiding offending foods.

Comment from: waynec54980, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

Prednisone treatment for 5 days was prescribed for my gout flare.

Comment from: [email protected], 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 09

My first gout attack was in my big toe. I went to the ER and was given IV morphine for pain followed by and prescription for Voltaren to reduce the swelling and the pain.

Comment from: maidenmaui, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 11

The best treatment for gout is drinking pure cherry juice. You can get it at any health food store and drink at least half the quart bottle immediately. It should be gone in one day.

Comment from: howliday59, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I found out I can't eat anything made with tomatoes. Every time I eat something with tomatoes I get flared up. When I flared up I soak my foot in vinegar water. I'm an amputee as well, so this doesn't help at all.

Comment from: junior, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

For my gout, I swore off all meat, except chicken.

Comment from: Mitch, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I am a 45 year old male and have suffered from gout for 8 years. I have found Black Cohosh to be effective at the on-set of a gout attack (natural herb available at pharmacies and supermarkets). Cherry juice also works wonders during an attack. The best remedy is to drink a lot of water in order to prevent attacks or keep them short-lived. You should also avoid turkey, cranberry sauce, and wine in one sitting (too many purines in those items); many people suffer from attacks during the holidays for this reason.

Published: February 24

Allopurinol is the only permanent solution. I tried all the herbal and alternative remedies for 12 months vegan diet no alcohol for 6 weeks the gout persisted. I now take 200mg a day and follow the healthy diet, little meat no shellfish etc but I have been back on alcohol (no red wine limited beer)but copious amounts of gin & tonic with no problems (touch wood)TG for allopurinol.

Comment from: Island Girl, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 02

My father is suffering some kind of disease that is similar to Gout. The doctors can't figure out what's causing it. I'm desperate for answers. He has suffered for more than 2 months now. His ankles are swollen and tender around the joints, its affecting both his ankles. So please if you have any idea what is happening to my dad. Please let me know so I can help him.

Comment from: T. Ellison, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 21

Switch to an exclusively plant protein based diet, no dairy, no eggs, no fish, no animal protein and cure your high uric acid levels and gout in one month. All animal purines contribute to higher uric acid levels, while plant purines do not. This is the only diet or treatment that worked.

Comment from: Jacob444, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

Pain is horrible gout is also. I like the baking soda treatment it's all natural. Acid vs Base it makes sense in theory. I found a spray called NATEUCA online. It has helped me tremendously with the joint pain. It's no cure mind you but relief it is.

Comment from: Mark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I use a product called eucalyptus oil, NATEUCA is the product name just search it on the internet. It has given me more relief than anything else I have tried. I can't explain how it works but man it just does. If you have gout you know agony. This stuff is better than pain pills.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I just discovered I have gout. I wasn't sure what was going on with my foot (big toe joint). Stiff, swelling then painful to touch. I wrapped my heating pad around it and turned on high. It immediately made it start to feel better. Even though the heat seemed to "hurt" it eventually worked the soreness and feel of inflamation out some. Now it still is sore but on the healing side. This usually takes 1 good night of heat. At least I'm able to wear shoes the next day!!

Published: March 21

I'm a 28 year old male who has been going through some pain in my two toes adjacent to my big toe. I thought my foot was broken, but my doctor (also my father) noticed some redness on the top of foot at the base of these toes and mentioned it could be gout. I have to get an x-ray and blood work done tomorrow after to determine what is going on. I really hope it isn't gout but have learned a lot from this website and other testimonials. I hope this won't stop me from playing sports and running. I will the results from tomorrow's hospital visit.

Comment from: wes, Published: January 26

Comment from: Happy H20 guy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 25

I have my gout attack once or twice a year and I always see my doctor once I started feeling the pain on my toe. He prescribed "indomethacin 50mg" plus prevacid to stabilized stomach disorder. I toke the medicine as prescribed until it lasts but I notice my hair is getting thinner after then, until one day I meet a guy in the clinic while waiting my turn to see the doctor. He confided about his gout experienced and told me to go straight to the grocery after I meet my doctor and buy 1 case of mineral water. I took his advice and drink the 500 ml bottled water every 30 minutes. It helps, the following morning I'm off to work as nothing happened! Now I stopped taking Indomethacin and instead added exercise and proper diet.

Comment from: bourbakis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I woke up with severe pain around my wrist, numb fingers and a lot of pain when I moved them, all the pain was from my wrist down to my whole hand. I went to the doctor and his diagnosis was gout on top of my hand. Top of hand was swollen and very red and tender. The doctor put me on indomethacin and colchicine and prescription for blood tests to determine my uric acid count. I had a similar attack 15 years ago.

Comment from: Allen33_1, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 10

Don't eat meat based gravy. Au Jus or beef based Progresso soup. Drink lots of water and shed a few pounds, the reason being that your metabolism goes into shock..

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter