Patient Comments: Gout - Symptoms

What gout symptoms and signs have you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: nirmala, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My gout symptoms are ankle pain and swelling.

Comment from: Mango, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I have had swollen left ankle for 6 months, no pain when walking, and slight pain to the touch. I have had many gout attacks the past 6 months. I took prednisone for two weeks, the swelling went away for a few days but came back, not as bad. I take allopurinol daily and colchicine when I have a gout attack. The doctors are baffled.

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

I am 48 years old in good shape and woke up one morning with horrible pain on the side of my big toe. It's going on 2 weeks. I have taken and am still taking allopurinol and indomethacin, cherry juice and cherry pills from extract. I drink apple cider vinegar, vitamin C, GoutPro, etc. I drink a ton of water a day and urinate 8 times a day which is almost clear by the way. My pain has subsided a little but now my foot is pretty swollen. Not sure what's going on and what else can I do. I also eat lots of grapes and strawberries!

Comment from: Bigbird, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I am just getting over a severe gout attack that took me over a day to get under control. I have had a few over the years but this one snuck up on me and I had to really work at it to get the pain under control. My secret to quick and effective control is colchicine and I can usually get the pain subsiding in a couple of hours. The drawback is that it can affect the stomach if abused so I try to limit myself to 6 pills per incident. This time it took 8. Some soreness will remain in the joint for a few days but nothing like the original attack where even a bed sheet touching it was excruciating pain. I have isolated the cause to be a certain brand of rum and the high fructose content of coca cola. Sadly, these items will have to be eliminated from my diet if I want to prevent future attacks.

Comment from: John S, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I've had gout for about five years now and it is getting worse with each attack. The last one was the worst. It has lasted about a month so far and still hasn't gone away. I could barely walk for the first couple of days with the aid of a cane. I took Colcrys but didn't get it in time. Now I'm walking, but just barely. I'm close to 100lbs overweight and need to lose weight for this and other reasons, and also change my diet. The pain is in my big toe joint and ankle. It was going away but had another flare up last weekend, possibly due to alcohol and dietary factors. I know there are products out there like Urcinol. It would be well worth it if they work but I'd like to hear some unbiased testimony.

Comment from: Lerch Justin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I have been medicating for gout for a little over a year now. I have had a flare up for 6 days now and the medicine isn't helping this time. It is now going into my other foot. I am in terrible pain.

Comment from: Becky H , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am 55 year old. My left foot ankle swelled big, not really any pain and I just rode it out with ibuprofen. I've never been overweight, I have been underweight all my life. About two months had gone by, I was sitting on my friend's porch just enjoying the evening and all of a sudden my foot and ankle just started throbbing like you might think a break would feel like, and tripped me out, then the swelling set in. I went to the doctor next morning, they don't know what it is but I'm sure after all these articles I've read on here, it is gout. I've been eating a lot of seafood I know now what to do to help it, thanks everyone.

Comment from: DonK, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I have pain in both toe and knee because of gout.

Comment from: BeeBee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had a gout attack over 34 years ago. I have taken allopurinol for all these years without any more attacks until this year. I have had several small attacks for which I have taken colchicine straight away with good effect. I am diabetic type 2 and have arthritis. I have recently read that people with gout should not eat potatoes, bread, and pasta. Eat low fat dairy foods and raspberries and blueberries. Luckily we can get the berries all the year round now. I drink very little alcohol and am not overweight. I have painful stinging in 2 of my toes now and I'm hoping my new diet will give me some relief.

Comment from: robert, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I am 78 years old. I have had gout since I was around 65. I have been taking 300 mg of allopurinol for several years. I tried going without it once. Boy, did I suffer! My big toes hurt so bad until I got in the routine once again with allopurinol. This is a life time drug now. But the last 6 years I've also got stinging gout! It can be anywhere in your feet, starts out tickling, and you scratch it and it gets to stinging so bad it really is painful. This will show up once a month sometimes twice a month. It lasts around an hour every hour and then lets up. It can last 4 days. Lately I've been getting the same sensation in the cheek of my buttocks. I looked up uric instead of allopurinol but my uric acid is within limits. My VA (Veterans Affairs) nurse says that's the way it goes.

Comment from: westcoastin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I have been to see over 9 doctors the past 2 years and their diagnosis is edema. But recently I came down with the same swollen, inflamed foot as before. Except this time, my big toe is very sore, along with 2nd and 3rd toes. It feels like my toes are crunched up in a very painful cramp, with no relief. It is extremely painful, and very hot with a sock on; I think it is gout.

Comment from: Victor mulimila, 35-44 (Patient) Published: October 21

I always experience inflammation, swelling and pain of the forefingers of my leg, and knees, because of gout. It happens when I do physical activities.

Published: July 24

I have been passing kidney stones for 2 years (12 in all). I still have 3 in my right kidney. I have had 10 hypostypsis and 2 laparoscopic surgeries. I also had a hysterectomy with in the two years. I have been taking Allopurinol for 1 year. I have been experiencing aches, swelling and discomfort in my fingers, ankles, and knees. I have this daily and my hands hurt so bad I'm losing sleep at night. My Uric Acid levels are normal so the doctors are saying it is not gout but they do not know what it is because all test are coming back normal. The things I read on the Gout website sounds like me except for the toe pain.

Published: May 29

I have severe swelling and pain in the primary toe of my left foot and in the ankle joint of my right foot. I am presently taking 50 mg of Indocin twice daily and have been drinking concentrated black cherry juice that is diluted with water.

Published: May 22

I have experienced severe gout attacks for about 15 yrs. It started in my big toe and has made its way into my ankle. My last two attacks have become infected and have been the most painful thing that has ever happened to me. I cannot pinpoint the source, so I am not sure what to do. I will just say, if you think you have a case of gout, get to your doctor and get on the meds. I do not wish this kind of pain on anyone and hope your case passes quickly.

Comment from: judy w., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I had gout for the first time ever. I am 70 years old and obese. I need to lose at least 75 to 100 lb. I have severe arthritis in my knees and spine; a family problem. I was on medication for 7 days and it seems to be gone. I would like to know what I should stay away from in food. Being able to walk long distances has been a problem for me, and I love to walk. I would like a diet I could follow, that tells me what I can have and what I can't have.

Comment from: Nanax3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I am 47 years old, and work in the medical field. I had a vascular surgeon I work with, check my lower left leg because I was afraid I had a blood clot. Ultrasound came back negative, so a doctor visit and emergency room visit later I discovered I had gout. It is very hard to find the foods that I am supposed to eat.

Comment from: Kats n dogs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I suffer from gout, as did my mother. Mine, however, did not start in my big toe; it started in the toe next to it on both of my feet. I take 1 tbsp of concentrated cherry juice twice a day at the first sign of a flare-up and 1 tbsp of concentrated cherry juice once a week as a preventative method. So far it has worked.

Comment from: Babyface, 65-74 Female Published: December 06

I was born and reared in the South and enjoy home-cooked soul food that is well-seasoned. I am 73 and never had any problems until now. My feet are swollen and burn, my thumb hurts, and it's hard to screw off and on tops of containers and jars.

Comment from: bhdj, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I am a 71-year-old male. My gout is in my big toe on the left foot. It just recently started. My doctor has me on 50 mg of indomethacin three times per day. I am on my third day of taking it, and so far I can tell no difference. This is the first time that I have had it. I had something in my big toe on my right foot a couple of years ago. I soaked it in hot Epsom salt water and it went away. I tried that this time but it didn't work.

Comment from: Sekgetho, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

The symptoms of my gout were my left toe was rigid. The base of the toe was tender and very painful.

Published: July 22

I was just diagnosed with bursitis in my hips. I am a 51 yr old female. When I was 11 I was hospitalized with very painful gout in my one big toe. I remember it felt very hot with incredibly sharp pains, and throbbing. It was cured, (I recall there was an IV) or went away after ten days. I also recall all sorts of doctors were coming into my room to look at my toe. When I was 18 my doctor told me and my parents that I had rheumatoid arthritis in my wrists. I had worked that summer cutting trees limbs and other hard physical work. My wrists were very painful, swollen. I went on Naprosyn for several years, and gradually my wrists stopped hurting so often. Then I developed sensitivity to arthritis and related drugs (hives) and I have to be careful even today to not overdo painkillers. When I was 30 I was pregnant with my first child and the doctor put me in the hosp for ten days just before delivery, because I had such HIGH URIC ACID in my system that they were afraid it would compromise the pregnancy. My last 20 odd years I have been plagued with sciatica, 'tennis elbow', a 'bum' right knee with snapping and crackling when I go up stairs, and now bursitis in my hips. I am just now doing research, and I am glad I found your site.

Published: July 15

I am a 65 year old woman who has had 2 experiences of gout in the knees 5 years apart. All the information I am finding is usually about the toe. I appreciate your article, it did help to know it can be in the knee. I find the doctors know little about diagnosing the gout. They want to touch your knee and press on it, which is unbearable; this was my clue that it was not an injury, but an inflammation. I want, like most of us to be able to stop it from happening in the first place. Most articles say to lose weight, it just so happens that both times I was on a diet when it happened. I find most articles tell us what not to eat, but not what to eat. I am not obese, maybe 20 lbs to lose, can you help me with setting up a diet to help balance my uric acid.

Published: July 10

This explanation was very thorough. When my uncle thought I had gout, I was grossed out because I thought it was like a club foot that comes with old age. I do have arthritis and I do enjoy a cocktail every now and then, so I've always suspected that the toxins settle in my joints, because of the pain I feel in my fingers and toes each morning. I get physically nauseous when I do yoga or pilates after a weekend of drinking, or if I'm away from exercise for a while. I've read that the stretching from yoga and other exercise squeezes the toxins out of the joints, so I'm thinking I should go back to exercise. Especially when my big toe hurts for no apparent reason after a weekend of entertaining at our lake house!

Published: July 09

I have woke up with a swollen ankle a number of times not knowing what I did. It eventually leads into a very painful foot that hurts to put any pressure on the foot, especially in walking. I have to stay in bed with ice packs for a couple of days, limiting my walking only to the bathroom. I Take ibuprofen every four to six hours, which eases the pain, and eventually I am up and around more every day.

Published: July 08

I had twisted my ankle and got a sprain. I took the 6 day sterol and the swelling went down. Now, just 5 days later, the top of my foot is very tender and hurts like hell. My foot is starting to swell again and the top of my foot looks very red and angry. I have been taking something called colchicine and it makes it hurt even more.

Published: July 08

Mine started with swelling mostly in my big toe. The pain was extreme for about three days and started to ease off. I am only taking Tylenol and have started increasing my water intake. I only have one kidney and I'm afraid of taking different medications because of the side effects. The side effects seem as bad as the illness.

Published: July 02

I am forty six years of age, I have been suffering for almost seven years now, it all started after a minor operation on my knee, this took for ever to repair, after this I kept waking with the effects of a twisted ankle, this would last a few days, and then I would wake with it in the other ankle. Finally this then started to affect me wrists, I have been treated for rheumatoid arthritis for around three years, and things have got worse, I now have it in all joints especially, the ankles, knees and wrists, some days on a major flare up I am confined to my bed until it passes, I have since been told I have gout, but the only place I do not have pain is My big toe! I am still trying to hold down a job, self employed, so no sick pay, but at times especially recently I feel like just giving up, as the pain is unbearable.

Published: June 30

It started in my right big toe when I was 28. The pain was unbearable. I have tried many different remedies, but nothing seems to stop the acute attacks. For the past year the attacks have been in my left ankle. They are now more frequent and last longer. I have been on 300mg of Allopurinol for a few months, and am experiencing my first attack on this dosage. I don't wish this pain on anyone.

Published: June 30

My upper left foot had swelling on the whole foot and severe pain on top of my foot.

Published: June 25

I have RA. and OA. Now it appears I have gout in my left big toe. My dad has had gout and so has my younger brother. Last night I woke up with this TERRIBLE toe pain. I could not move my toe....the covers could not touch my toe and, good grief, if the dogs rolled near the toe I panicked. I am no stranger to pain....IE: kids that wanted to stay in and never come out of the belly, gangrene appendix, Gallbladder, 2 knee replacements and open heart surgery etc......this unexpected pain was unreal. I couldn't sleep, couldn't put socks or shoes on this morning and the bone on the side, or base of the toe was red and hot. Tomorrow I will be calling the Dr to see what to do. I am taking 500mg of naproxen and it does help. I will be drinking lots of water instead of my Coke. I am also praying I do not have the pain tonight. I had no warning at all.....just horrible pain!!!!!

Published: June 20

My husband has a very painful big toe and the other toes on that foot feel "dead". It is most painful when he walks.

Published: June 13

When I was my age of 17 years old, I was affected by gout disease. Normally my big toe gets painful, suddenly it changes into swelling and too much of pain. I took treatment for one year and now still it is paining for me. I'm not able to bend my toe.

Published: June 11

From the onset there was pain and then redness and unable to bend the knee, with a popping sound when I did bend the knee and extreme tenderness on the knee cap. There was also a noticeable heating effect on the knee. It's been a week now and the pain has diminished some but still there.

Published: June 10

My sexual partners seem to have a serious reaction to my sperm experiencing a burning sensation. I am on zyloric 300.

Published: June 04

Lab test result on uric acid shows 8.7 out of maximum level is 7.2. Now my leg joints are swelling continuously for 5 to 6 days then slowly reduces to normal position. There is no pain, but the right side heal is paining in the morning hours urinary track slight irritation is there..

Published: June 03

For several months I suffered with pain in hands and feet. The doctor took blood and told me I have gout. I still have problems sleeping and getting comfortable when sitting. I have trouble getting back up after sitting for awhile my feet just don't want to work right.

Published: May 29

I had swelling of the foot especially in the big toe. It was extremely painful. My toe becomes very sensitive to touch. I had three weeks of swelling. It was the longest attack I've had. I tried all remedies from my doctor with little success. I had to get a cortisone shot into the toe area, and I felt relief within 24 hours. The swelling was completely gone after 72 hours. I had a sample taken from my toe joint, and you could actually see the uric crystals in the blood. I am back on allopurinol 200 mg. My uric count went from 8.9 to 7.0 in one month. I'm still monitoring my uric count and dosage every two months.

Published: May 29

My feet and toes hurt, and I had a burning sensation. My leg was kind of numb.

Published: May 23

I have just recently had an attack of gout of the left lower thumb joint. The doctor was surprised, but I wasn't. My father had sufferred from gout in his hands off and on for years. I now watch my diet and have doubled my water intake during the days.

Comment from: Vilma, 55-64 (Patient) Published: February 20

I am having severe foot pain in my left. Pain in my toes, the bottom, pain at the back all the way up the left side of my back. It is like someone threw hot water over my toes. It stops me from putting on shoes most of the time.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter