Gonorrhea is a bacterial infection transmitted during sexual contact. In women, symptoms include a yellow vaginal discharge, burning or frequent urination, and redness, swelling, burning and itching of the vaginal area. Gonorrhea can be treated with injectable (penicillin) or oral medications. Read more: Gonorrhea In Women Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
STD Diagnosis, Images, Symptoms, Treatment
Learn about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) including symptoms, signs, diagnosis, and treatment options. Get more...
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Picture of The Clap (Gonorrhea)
A sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoea. See a picture of The Clap (Gonorrhea) and...
Picture of Vagina
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a soft, flexible lining that provides lubrication and sensation. See a picture of...
Related Disease Conditions
Bacterial vaginosis is an abnormal vaginal condition with signs and symptoms of vaginal discharge, vaginal odor,...
Ectopic Pregnancy (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment)
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Genital Warts in Women (HPV)
Genital warts is an infection caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It is the most common sexually transmitted infection...
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is the most common and serious complication of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), aside from...
Syphilis in Women
Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by a spiral-shaped type of bacteria known as a spirochete. There are...
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
A urethral stricture, or narrowing of the urethra, may cause decreased urine output. Symptoms include painful urination, urinary...
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Holiday Depression, Anxiety, and Stress
Though the holidays are a fun time for most, for others, they're a sad, lonely and anxiety-filled time. Get tips on how to avoid...
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Antibiotic Resistance (Drug Resistance, Antimicrobial Resistance)
Drug resistance (antimicrobial resistance) is the ability of bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses to grow, even in the...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Gonorrhea In Women - Symptoms
Did you have symptoms before being diagnosed with gonorrhea? If so, what were they, and did you see a doctor?Post View 8 Comments
Gonorrhea In Women - Treatment
Please discuss forms of treatment, including medication, that have been used for gonorrhea in you or someone you know.Post
Gonorrhea In Women - Diagnosis
How was your gonorrhea diagnosed?Post View 2 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- erythromycin, Ery-Tab, PCE
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- cefixime (Suprax)
- cefprozil, Cefzil
- Cipro vs. Flagyl (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- probenecid, (Benemid - brand no longer available)
- Cipro vs. Levaquin: Differences Between Side Effects, Uses, and Strength
- Amoxicillin vs. Levaquin (Strength and Effectiveness)
- Amoxicillin vs. Augmentin (Comparison of Side Effects and Antibiotic Uses)
Prevention & Wellness
- STDs Hit All-Time High in U.S.
- New Hope in Search for Vaccine Against Gonorrhea
- Gonorrhea Becoming More Resistant to Drugs
- Mouthwash Helps Kill Gonorrhea Germs in Mouth, Throat: Study
- Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea a Growing U.S. Threat: CDC
- U.S. Cases of Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea Rise Fourfold in One Year
- U.K. Case of Throat Gonorrhea Resists Antibiotics
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea: A Growing Threat
- Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia Rates Rising for First Time in Years: CDC
- Gonorrhea Becoming More Resistant to One Antibiotic: CDC
- Superbugs: What They Are and How You Get Them
- Screen Women for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Experts Say
- More STD Screening on Horizon for Women?
- Chlamydia, Gonorrhea Tied to Higher Risk of Pregnancy Complications
- New Treatments Show Promise Against Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea
- Millions of Americans Have an STD: Report
- Is 'Untreatable' Gonorrhea On the Way?
- Gonorrhea Resistant to All But One Antibiotic: CDC
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Spreading: WHO
- Sex Ed Becoming Less Prevalent in Grades 6-12
- Experts Warn of Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea
- STD Trichomonas May Be More Common Than Thought
- CDC: Untreatable Gonorrhea a Possibility
- Youths With STDs May Not Admit They Had Sex
- U.S. Gonorrhea Rate Drops; Chlamydia, Syphilis Up
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter