Gonorrhea is a bacterial infection transmitted during sexual contact. In women, symptoms include a yellow vaginal discharge, burning or frequent urination, and redness, swelling, burning and itching of the vaginal area. Gonorrhea can be treated with injectable (penicillin) or oral medications.Read more: Gonorrhea In Women Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Picture of The Clap (Gonorrhea)
A sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoea. See a picture of The Clap (Gonorrhea) and...
Picture of Vagina
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a soft, flexible lining that provides lubrication and sensation. See a picture of...
12 Preventable STDs: Pictures, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
Sexually transmitted infections like chlamydia and genital herpes are common STDs. Think you might have an STD? You’re not alone....
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
Related Disease Conditions
Ectopic Pregnancy (Tubal Pregnancy)
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...
Genital Warts (HPV) Infection in Women
Genital warts is a sexually transmitted infection (STI, STD) caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It is the most common STD...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread...
Syphilis in Women
Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by a spiral-shaped type of bacteria known as a spirochete. There are...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
Holiday Depression, Anxiety, and Stress
Though the holidays are a fun time for most, for others, they're a sad, lonely and anxiety-filled time. Get tips on how to avoid...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Bacterial vaginosis is an abnormal vaginal condition with signs and symptoms of vaginal discharge, vaginal odor, and vaginal...
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Antibiotic Resistance (Drug Resistance, Antimicrobial Resistance)
Antibiotics are medications used to kill or slow the growth of bacteria and some fungi. The definition of antibiotic resistance...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is the most common and serious complication of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), aside from...
A urethral stricture, or narrowing of the urethra, may cause decreased urine output. Symptoms include painful urination, urinary...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
Pelvic pain is described as pain, usually in the lower pelvic area. Causes of acute and chronic pelvic pain in women include...
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- amoxicillin (Amoxil, Moxatag, Larotid)
- probenecid, (Benemid - brand no longer available)
- cefprozil (Cefzil)
- erythromycin (Ery-Tab, PCE)
- cefixime (Suprax)
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- Cipro vs. Flagyl (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- Amoxicillin vs. Levaquin (Strength and Effectiveness)
- Cipro vs. Levaquin: Differences Between Side Effects, Uses, and Strength
- Amoxicillin vs. Augmentin (Comparison of Side Effects and Antibiotic Uses)
- Cipro, XR (ciprofloxacin) vs. Keflex (cephalexin)
- Cefdinir vs. cefixime (Suprax) 3rd Generation Antibiotics
- Keflex vs. Penicillin
- Amoxicillin vs. Ampicillin
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Screenings Every Woman Needs
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Found in 2 U.K. Women
- New Antibiotic Offers Hope Against 'Super Gonorrhea'
- STD Rates Continue to Climb in U.S.
- With 'Super Gonorrhea' a Threat, Many Still Getting Wrong Antibiotics
- Super Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea Coming to U.S., Experts Say
- U.K. Man Has World's Worst Case of Super-Gonorrhea
- STDs Hit All-Time High in U.S.
- New Hope in Search for Vaccine Against Gonorrhea
- Gonorrhea Becoming More Resistant to Drugs
- Mouthwash Helps Kill Gonorrhea Germs in Mouth, Throat: Study
- Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea a Growing U.S. Threat: CDC
- U.S. Cases of Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea Rise Fourfold in One Year
- U.K. Case of Throat Gonorrhea Resists Antibiotics
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea: A Growing Threat
- Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia Rates Rising for First Time in Years: CDC
- Gonorrhea Becoming More Resistant to One Antibiotic: CDC
- Superbugs: What They Are and How You Get Them
- Screen Women for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Experts Say
- More STD Screening on Horizon for Women?
- Chlamydia, Gonorrhea Tied to Higher Risk of Pregnancy Complications
- New Treatments Show Promise Against Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea
- Millions of Americans Have an STD: Report
- Is 'Untreatable' Gonorrhea On the Way?
- Gonorrhea Resistant to All But One Antibiotic: CDC
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Spreading: WHO
- Sex Ed Becoming Less Prevalent in Grades 6-12
- Experts Warn of Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea
- STD Trichomonas May Be More Common Than Thought
- CDC: Untreatable Gonorrhea a Possibility
- Youths With STDs May Not Admit They Had Sex
- U.S. Gonorrhea Rate Drops; Chlamydia, Syphilis Up
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter