Patient Comments: Glaucoma - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your glaucoma? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: nan, Published: June 16

I experienced kidney failure during hip replacement surgery; lost 2 units of blood with extreme dehydration requiring immediate blood transfusion. I am under the care of a nephrologist now with stage 3 renal failure.

Comment from: Jake, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I have had high eye pressure (glaucoma) for 25 years. I found vitamin C helps for eye pain, also benfotiamine can help lower pressure.

Comment from: Timetraveller, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

When I saw an eye doctor for glaucoma the first time he said it had progressed to a point that surgery would be too risky and I could lose my sight completely. I had no symptoms whatsoever. I was sent there by a Walmart doctor who tested me for a new script for glasses. He saw a blood spot on my optic nerve. The doctor he sent me to said it was nothing but that I definitely had glaucoma and had it for a few years. I didn't start having symptoms and losing my sight until I was started on the drops. My eyes are gradually getting worse. I had to stop driving 5 years ago. My brother has glaucoma with pressure of 12 without drops. I think the drops are a useless scam and I will go blind with or without them because using them is not slowing my loss of sight down. It's like cancer. Chemo only cures 2 kinds of cancer using chemo on any other type is just lining the drug companies pockets with big profits. The medical profession is turning into one big ugly scam.

Comment from: susan, Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Hi, I am 55 yrs, old and have been on some kind of eye drops for glaucoma for 20 yrs., I have had the laser 5 times and this last time it did not help. My pressure runs from 23 - 30 but now it is up to 43 in both eyes and eye drops have all been exhausted or I am allergic to them so I am taking Acetazolamide pills (they are water pills) they seem to be working. I figured it out, I was on High blood pressure meds and went off them in January and one of those meds were water pills. Then I remembered my eye pressure went down when I first started the pills. fyi

Comment from: Robinson, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I have been taking medications for open angle glaucoma for eighteen years. Over the period, i have used: 1st, TIMOPTOL in combination with Pilocapine eye drops. I used the drugs for about two years before I reacted to the timoptol. It lowered my heart rate to about 53 beats per minute. I infact experienced drop beats and was hospitalized. I then started on the combination of Betoptic, Pilocapine, and Diamox. I again reacted to Diamox. Thereafter, I was placed on Betoptic in combination with Pilocarpine and Xalatan. My eye pressure came to as low as between levels 8 and 14. In July/ Aug. 2009, My Doctor stopped my Pilocarpine. I am now on the combination of Travatan and Trusopt. The effect of my having to stop Pilocarpine is that I now use eye glasses for my sight, having lost my focus on both far and near objects because of my slow heart rate, my doctor now says I should stop Betoptic. I am reluctant to drop Betoptic, so I now have reduced my dosage of it to one drop per day. When I attended my clinic last earlier this month, my eye pressure was 15 in both eyes. I have been on the eye drops mainly, since I was diagnosed with the eye condition 18 years ago. The drugs are ok, but I strongly suggest that for every new patient special attention should be placed on the individual's pulse rate to avoid my type of experience.

Comment from: Mrs A Senior, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am female 76 years old glaucoma diagnosed 3 years ago sight now worse in left eye field vision poor Timoptol pm Zalatan am both give relief. I am seen yearly and this last visit because my sight had deteriorated and I am having some pain now going for laser treatment Also have cataracts in both eyes. My Consultant tells me he will remove them later. The cataracts not the eyes!!

Comment from: Not a test pig, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

WOW! I too went to a Wal-Mart doctor and she said that my pressures were high and had me using Travastan drops for 24 hours 1 drop an hour! The specialist she sent me too diagnosed me with right angle glaucoma. I too feel my eye has gotten worse since then because it was not that bad before. I need to find out the truth because if these drops are hurting me I'm not going to be pleasant with the eye doctor!

Comment from: Guy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I was diagnosed with glaucoma when I was 5 in 1974. Since that time, I have had two operations and countless trips to the ophthalmologist. My mother and I would travel seven hours round-trip to see the nearest one. I am not telling you this for you to feel sorry for me, but I would like to send a message to say that is how important your eyes are. Without the expertise of the doctors and the resilience of my parents, I would not see anything. I would have missed out on all the things in life that are important. I am now 41, and the disease seems to be stable. My eye drops are Timoptol XE (once daily in each eye), Xalatan (once daily in each eye) and Alphagan (twice in the left eye daily).

View the Eye Diseases and Conditions Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: January 19

I am 20 years old and I was told by my eye doctor that my eye looks as if I have glaucoma. Although I was told when I was 15 to always check the pressure of my eyes, I threw caution to the wind. Now, I have been placed on Timolol eye drops. They help reduce pressure in my eyes.

Comment from: bewell, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I have glaucoma. It is hard to find good information on glaucoma. Doctors usually do not take time to explain glaucoma in such detail. Your site did! This is great information! We all must take care of our vision.

Published: July 08

I had the laser surgery to drain the fluid in my eye. One procedure was performed in my doctor's office, the other at the adjacent hospital outpatient. The pressure in both eyes dropped for about 11 months. The pressure is now back up pretty high. I am currently on Alphagan P, 0.1% twice daily. My eyes are often dry, and it feels as if something is in them. I have to apply eye moisture drops, yawn or blink. I am over 50, and I do not want to lose my sight. The only answer I'm given is to do the drops. Diet and exercise have no effect.

Comment from: tcmeshew, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I am 39 years old and was diagnosed with glaucoma 6 years ago. After trying several combinations of drops and none of them working to lower the pressure my doctor began installing what is called an "Ahmed valve". This is surgically implanted under the skin of the eye. I have one in my right eye and two in the left. According to my doctor, without these in my eyes I would be blind by now. If your pressure cannot be controlled I strongly suggest indulging this procedure.

Comment from: msbernie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am 63 years of age. I have Graves disease and was diagnosed with glaucoma in December 2008. It was the closed-angle glaucoma, so laser surgery was done immediately. I am still concerned. I went back for a vision field test today and to have the pressure checked. It was 28 in both eyes. Because of the Graves disease my eyes tear a lot so I don't really know if I am in any danger. My doctor told me to come back in January.

Comment from: edgibson46, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I am 63, and I have glaucoma. I found medicinal marijuana to be quite effective.

Comment from: ben81598, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

Pot/weed slows the progresion of glaucoma also.

Comment from: orionlaw, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 40 year old patient, who suffers from chronic Glaucoma pain in both of my eye's. I was born with cataracts and doctors began doing surgery on both of my eyes at the early age of five years old. The surgeries would continue on each eye once a year, for the removal of the cataracts. At the age of twelve began to have extreme internal pain inside and on back/top of my eye. My Treatment is what is available and every eye drop known to treat Glaucoma. I take seven different types of eye drops, but none to relieve the extreme pain I continue to receive on my eyes. It is difficult for me to enjoy my day to day activities when I cannot take the pain at times. I feel as if my doctors ignore my pleas for a remedy. It causes me stress and the pain I receive gives me little patience with my love ones and depresses me, I hope someone can help me.

Comment from: peter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I have tried 3 different drops. The first had no effect; the next two brought down my pressure but made me so depressed that life was hardly worth living. I have been treated for depression for years, and it was pretty well controlled until I started the drops. I'm hoping to convince the doctor to try laser treatment or surgery.

Comment from: Blurred Vision, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I am 60 years old, and I have had frequent yearly visits to my optometrist for the past 20 years. I was never told that my eyes were in any danger of glaucoma or cataracts. I wore simple reading glasses. Recently, I had an eye infection that caused some trauma to one eye. I discovered and was diagnosed with a small cataract and glaucoma. According to my doctor's diagnosis, the glaucoma had been there for four years. I couldn't understand why I wasn't warned by the optometrist of this clear and present danger.

View the Eye Diseases and Conditions Slideshow Pictures