- What brand names are available for ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral?
- Is ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral?
- What are the uses for ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral?
- What are the side effects of ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral?
- What is the dosage for ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral?
- Is ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral?
What brand names are available for ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral?
Fossil Tree, Kew Tree, Silver Apricot
What are the side effects of ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral?
Side effects of gingko biloba are
- abdominal discomfort,
- restlessness, and
Possible serious side effects of gingko biloba include:
What is the dosage for ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral?
- Dosing may vary with the preparation (capsules, gels, extracts). Read manufacturer's directions before using this product.
- Dementia: Take 120 – 240 mg per day in divided doses, 2 to 3 times a day.
- Vertigo and tinnitusTake 120 – 160 mg per day in divided doses, 2 to 3 times a day.
- Sexual dysfunctionTake 60 – 240 mg by mouth twice a day.
- Premenstrual symptoms Take 80 mg by mouth twice a day, start on day 16 and continue to day 5 of next cycle.
Which drugs or supplements interact with ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral?
- Ginkgo biloba should be used with caution with medications that increase bruising and bleeding risks. Medications like aspirin, celecoxib (Celebrex), ibuprofen (Motrin), diclofenac (Voltaren), meloxicam (Mobic), naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), warfarin (Coumadin), enoxaparin (Lovenox), and clopidogrel (Plavix) should be used with caution with ginkgo biloba. Check with your doctor before using this herbal product.
- Combining efavirenz (Sustiva) with ginkgo may decrease the effects of efavirenz.
Is ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- There are no adequate studies of gingko biloba to determine safe and effective use in pregnant women.
- It is not known whether gingko biloba is excreted in breast milk.
What else should I know about ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral?
What preparations of ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral are available?
- Ginkgo biloba is available as oral capsules, liquid soft gels, tea extract, and liquid extract.
- Concentration of gingko biloba may vary from product-to-product due to multiple manufacturers producing various products.
How should I keep ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-oral stored?
There are many formulations of ginkgo biloba. Use the manufacturer's storage recommendations.
Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba, Fossil Tree, Kew Tree, Silver Apricot) is an herbal product used to improve memory problems of dementia and Alzheimer's disease; premenstrual syndrome; ringing in the ears; and some vision problems. Side effects include
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Bipolar Disorder (Mania) Quiz: Test Your Emotional Wellness IQ
Who is at risk for developing bipolar disorder? Are you? Take this Bipolar Disorder Quiz to learn more about bipolar disorder, if...
Vertigo and Balance Disorders Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the quiz and find out the causes, symptoms, treatments, and ways to prevent the confusing balance disorder called vertigo....
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Multiple Sclerosis is a debilitating neurological condition. Take the MS Quiz to test your knowledge of the causes, symptoms,...
Alzheimers Disease Quiz: Stages, Symptoms & Signs
Take the Alzheimer's Quiz to discover some of the mysteries behind this cognitive disorder. Learn causes, symptoms, treatments,...
Picture of Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis may be single or multiple and may range from mild to severe in intensity and short to long in...
Picture of Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD)
Frontotemporal dementia, sometimes called frontal lobe dementia, describes a group of diseases characterized by degeneration of...
Picture of HIV-associated Dementia (HAD)
A 40-year-old woman diagnosed with HIV presented with confusion and decline in memory. See a picture of HIV-associated Dementia...
Picture of Alzheimer's Disease
In the early stages of Alzheimer's disease, patients may experience memory impairment, lapses of judgment, and subtle changes in...
Picture of Multiple Lentigines Syndrome (Back)
Multiple lentigines syndrome is also known as LEOPARD syndrome, a genetic syndrome transmitted in an autosomal dominant manner...
Picture of Multiple Lentigines Syndrome (Face)
The LEOPARD syndrome is caused by mutations in the gene for protein-tyrosine phosphatase, nonreceptor-type, 11 (PTPN11). See a...
Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease, and Aging Brains
What is dementia? Learn about dementia disorders such as Lewy Body Dementia, Alzheimer's disease (AD), Vascular (multi-infarct)...
Caring for Someone With Alzheimer's Disease
Use this guide for advice on caring for someone with Alzheimer's. Learn to spot early signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's disease...
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Symptoms and Treatment
Learn about multiple sclerosis (MS) causes, symptoms, and treatment for this autoimmune disease that attacks the nerves of the...
Tinnitus: Why Are My Ears Ringing?
What is tinnitus? Explore tinnitus (ringing in the ears) causes, symptoms, relief remedies, treatments and prevention tips. Learn...
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS): Track and Prevent Symptoms
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) can cause from mood swings, munchies, and more. Learn about the symptoms, causes and treatments of...
Balance Disorders: Vertigo, Motion Sickness, Labyrinthitis, and More
What is vertigo? What causes dizziness? Understand different balance disorders and symptoms such as vertigo, motion sickness,...
Related Disease Conditions
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life Expectancy
Multiple sclerosis or MS is an autoimmune disorder in which brain and spinal cord nerve cells become demyelinated. This damage...
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a combination of physical and emotional disturbances that occur after a woman ovulates and ends...
Tinnitus is described as a throbbing, ringing, clicking, or buzzing in one or both ears. Tinnitus is caused by trauma to the ear,...
Vertigo (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Home Remedies)
Vertigo is the sensation of spinning or rocking, even when someone is at rest. Vertigo may be caused by a problem in the brain or...
Dementia is defined as a significant loss of intellectual abilities such as memory capacity, severe enough to interfere with...
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Enjoying a satisfying sex life as we age is important to both physical and mental health. As we age, diseases and conditions may...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Sexual Problems (Sex) in Women
Sexual dysfunction refers to a problem that arises during any phase of the sexual response cycle, preventing an individual or...
Sexual Problems in Men
Male sexual dysfunction can be caused by physical or psychological problems. Common sexual problems in men include erectile...
Sex and Menopause (What to Expect)
Menopause is often associated with a change in sexual functioning. Loss of estrogen, bladder control issues, anxiety, stress,...
Alzheimer's Disease Patient Caregiver Guide
Caring for a loved one or patient with Alzheimer's can become a difficult and overwhelming task at times. This guide helps...
Alzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss,...
Dizziness is a symptom that often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of dizziness...
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is considered a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). PMDD has also been referred...
Balance is a state of body equilibrium or stability. We often take for granted how dependent we are on a healthy balance system....
7 Alzheimer's Disease Stages and Symptoms
The signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's disease depend on the stage of the disease. Some doctors and researchers disagree in regard...
Multiple Sclerosis Early Symptoms and Signs (Early, Body Areas Affected)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
Headache Natural Home Remedies
Headaches are a common complaint for many people. There are many types of headaches such as migraine, tension, cluster, and the...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Multiple Sclerosis MS FAQs
- Alzheimers Disease FAQs
- Vertigo Balance Disorders FAQs
- Bipolar Disorder Mania FAQs
- 8 Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction
- Medication Disposal
- Dangers of Mixing Medications
- Drugs: The Most Common Medication Errors
- Drugs: Buying Prescription Drugs Online Safely
- Generic Drugs, Are They as Good as Brand-Names?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Over 100 Drugs Pose Risk to Heart Failure Patients
- Alternative Medicine Taking Hold Among Americans: Report
- Male Sexual Enhancement Supplements Often Ineffective, Possibly Harmful: Study
- Antidepressants Top Treatment Choice for Severe PMS: Researchers
- FDA: Supplements, Meds Can Be Dangerous Mix
- Yoga Big on West Coast, Chiropractors Popular in Midwest
- Herbal Meds, Cosmetic Surgery a Bad Mix: Experts
- Ginkgo Biloba Doesn't Protect From Alzheimer's
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. "Ginkgo." Updated: June 2013.
Medscape. "Ginkgo Biloba (Hers/Suppl) Eun-haeng, fossil tree, ginko biloba, ginkyo, icho, ityo, Japanese silver apricot, kew tree, maidenhair tree, salisburia, silver apricot."