Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Treatments

What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your giardiasis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I had an allergy shot last week which turned into an allergic reaction. I had itching, chest pain, and swelling. A week later, I still feel terrible with pressure on my sternum and right side. I went to the urgent care and they took several tests and an EKG, which was normal. The doctor told me I had costochondritis which could be relieved with heating pad an ibuprofen. This pain is very annoying.

Comment from: Shobs, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

In have been suffering from chest pains on my right side and the doctors keep saying it's just inflammation and to take Aleve and rest it. This is five months later and I can't sleep and if I move the wrong way that electric pain is enough to take my breath away. I am beyond frustrated as I think this is costochondritis.

Comment from: Heather, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I recently got stomach cramps and had dysentery for the past week. I went to the doctor and only because I have had giardiasis before many times, did I know to ask for the treatment but I find health professionals reluctant to admit that the patient has it and so had to put up with the illness for a week before being prescribed Flagyl. I felt instantly better. No giardia showed up in my stools. There is only a small chance of it showing up. Over the years I have learned that I have caught giardia through the drinking water, particularly a day or two after a heavy rain.

Comment from: Nabs, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I suffered a month and a half before getting proper diagnosis, from the third doctor I sought. I was in pain with tummy cramps of the meanest degree, stool that was toxic and nasty smelling but mostly watery. And the frequency was so high that by the end of the month I didn't even make it to the toilet. It was straining the last bits of energy in me since food nauseated me! I lived on yoghurt and rice. And lots of ORS (oral rehydration solution). The stool test confirmed the presence of giardia. I lost more than 4 kgs and still feel weak. Flagyl increased my nausea so I was put on Cycin, which is an antibiotic. Last year I had suffered from typhoid so this made my stomach more vulnerable.

Comment from: MexicanTraveller, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have been home from Mexico for 16 days and have been bed ridden for the last 5 days. I had major stomach issues my last few days down there and even ended up in the hospital for two days due to dehydration caused by frequent trips to the bathroom. My Dr. said I must have picked up this nasty parasite down there and I will be picking up my prescription for Flagyl today. Symptoms include: major fatigue, nausea, bloating, foul smelling gas, burping, on and off loose stools, stomach pain and headaches. I agree with the previous posts, antacids have made the symptoms worse. I hope this medication works. Good luck all.

Comment from: SickofbeingSick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I went to Bali for the first and last time at the end of February, start of March for my honeymoon and I have never been so sick in my life. After an hour of getting off the plane landing back in Australia, my husband and I were both chronically sick; both had diarrhea and stomach pains. After about a week, his giardiasis symptoms went away but mine continued for about a month. I had stool samples every week, all negative for any parasite but I couldn't eat anything otherwise I was on the toilet 10 to 20 minutes later (followed by another 4 or 5 times each 20 minutes after that). It has now been 5 months to the day since we returned from Bali and I have flare ups. I have noticed it especially when I eat something like sausages, minced meat, sometimes chicken, and cream leaves me feeling pretty foul too. Spaghetti Bolognese is the worst! I am constantly feeling tired/lethargic and no motivation to do anything anymore. Additionally, my immune system is shot, I catch a viral infection/cold every single week. I think the longest I have gone without a cold is about 8 days. It has impacted on work and also at home. I have had approximately 8 weeks off due to illness since I returned.

Comment from: Angela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I was on a cruise and started having diarrhea on 20th Feb, no cramps at that stage. Then after 5 days pain started. The doctor took blood and stool sample, all clear. Pain is now much worse, another doctor has sent for another stool sample and blood. Today I felt dizzy and tired and kept crying, they gave me a shot of Buscopan for the pain and now I'm resting; a friend suggested looking up giardia lamblia, so maybe this is what I am suffering with.

Comment from: Miserableforweeks, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

16 days ago started the diarrhea straight for a week with no other symptons. then a week later, stomach cramps, headache and overall feeling of "not feeling well". i finally went in to the doctor as i could not leave the bathroom nor could i sleep as the stomach cramps seemed to get worse at night. 16 days into this and multiple tests later, they discovered the giardia. im within the first 48 hours of treatment with metronidazole. hopefully it will be effective! the best relief so far has been staying on the b.r.a.t. diet. this has eased up the diarrhea; however i have lost five pounds in this 16 days and feel very tired.

woman with abdominal pain
Comment from: Adelaide, 65-74 Female Published: June 26

I have had giardia lamblia for the past two weeks whilst travelling in an outback area and did not have the opportunity to seek a solution. Since returning yesterday I visited a naturopath who made me a parasitic remedy of wormwood, black walnut & clove I also eat two cloves of fresh garlic two hours before each meal with lots of filtered water. In less than 24 hours it has shown positive signs of success.

Comment from: worried mom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 21

My 2 year old daughter has what I think is Giardia Lamblia. She has been having diarrhea for 6 months. She is NOT losing weight and seems healthy otherwise, although she is very tired and cranky. We have not been able to find any of the parasite in all the tests they have run, but she was prescribed Flagyl and got better for a few weeks. Symptoms started again so she went on a second round of Flagyl and got better, only to get the symptoms back again 2 weeks later. She wakes up super early every morning with a gross diaper and also has a gross diaper at bedtime every night.

Comment from: teeech89, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I had an ongoing case of giardia for five months. I was put on flagyl and levaquin twice with no relief. I lost 53 pounds during this time. Then my appendix burst (unrelated) and was on IV antibiotics for five days. After that, I had no problems and gained back the needed weight. I have had no symptoms since. I attribute this to the IV antibiotics I was given.

Comment from: mfogzone, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I have had all the problems mentioned above. The problem has gone on for over 3 years. I have taken Flagyl in both 7% 10 day periods. All my tests are negative and I have had other antibiotics with help for short periods. I take one flagyl and it will go away for 2-4 weeks than returns. I have been told that a fish in our area causes a problem like this so I'm looking in to it because I ate one about the time it started. My poor family can't stand to be in the car with me.

Comment from: kim, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

My husband and I both suffer from Giardia from time to time, living as missionaries in Africa. The drug, Bendix is available here and is very inexpensive. If taken 5 days it typically relieves the symptoms. We also take grapefruit seed extract often to decrease the regularity of the attacks or episodes.

Comment from: JessieWabbit, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I too first contracted Giardia at Lake Atitlan, Guatemala in 1995. It actually went away on it's own, but then I did have 2 years ago and was treated for it. I didn't have the original symptoms (smelly breath/gas) but did have terrible stomach cramps which I went to hospital for. Since then I've had 2 undiagnosed and untreated 'stomach bugs' which have left me vomiting for 48 hrs, fever, excruciating stomach pain. I'm now not sure whether they are related to the Giardia, but before this I had never experienced anything like it!

Comment from: hotjive, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I contracted Giardia whilst staying in Lake Atitlan Guatemala in 2009 since then I have had least 3 more attacks. Haven't been able find a solution as I am still travelling. Have tried Flagyl but I find too many side effects taking this drug.

Comment from: jason, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 16

My son is only 8 year old and was just diagnosis with Giardia. I can't see how he got this illness. He has lost 7 lbs in 12 day. He now weights 57 lbs. stomach pains, diarrhea very bad. They prescribe him Metronidazole can't get medication until tomorrow. Also we have appointment with a GI Doctor in the morning.

Comment from: Mnader, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

When I was a year old I was diagnosed with Guardia it almost killed me. I got it from contaminated drinking water. Growing up I was sick off and on with it! I was told I would suffer with this for my whole life! It likes to pay me a visit about once a year I have water diarrhea bloating and gas! My burps very foul smelling that's how I know its Guardia from the burps and gas! I didn't know there was diagnoses for this I was just told I would have it off and on for the rest of my life! I am now 28 and currently sick with it but it only last about 2 days when I do get it! This web page has helped me learn a lot.

Comment from: 2nd stomach issues, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had Giardia about a year or so ago, I was able to take antibiotics for it and it was gone. During the time I suffered, eating carbs was just horrific for me. Now it's been a year and I get nausea after eating fatty meat. I would get very boated after coffee or just a piece of toast, and over the past few months I've suddenly had a low iron count. The iron supplements had barely raised my points. With all of that my doctor (who is a very wonderful doctor) has concluded that with my symptoms, it's possible that the giardia may have caused an ulcer. So I now just finished a stool sample to check for blood, and am now waiting to have a colonoscopy.

woman with abdominal pain