Patient Comments: Giardia Lamblia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with giardia lamblia. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Charlie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I was diagnosed with giardia lamblia in March after a positive stool sample. Symptoms were bright yellow, greasy, runny stool, and cramps which started in my upper abdomen which came and went before moving down into my bowel. I felt nauseous and was sick once. I had constant tiredness and anxiety. I was given a 7 day course of metronidazole antibiotics. My stools have never been the same since and I developed IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) symptoms. It is cyclical normal then increasingly soft stools until a bout of diarrhea. Five months later I am still suffering, and my doctor is doing a retest but said giardia changes the enzymes in your bowel so can take a long time to get back to normal. I now can't digest food well at all. I am off to see a specialist as soon as possible.

Comment from: one sick dude, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I did not have diarrhea. I had extreme pain in my stomach. I kept going to the emergency room (ER). They would make the pain bearable and send me home. Once the pain medicines wore off I would have to go back. I don't know how many trips to the ER I made till one doctor asked for a stool sample. They diagnosed me with giardia lamblia and gave me some medicines and in a couple days I started to feel better. I think I got it from drinking water from an air force base.

Comment from: Simon, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I'm 20 years old, and I live in a big city. I've never been camping or have drunk contaminated water. I really think I got giardia lamblia from the ground or got it from someone else. I'm usually a really anxious person, so chewing on pencils or pens is normal to me, I don't usually wash them, and I know it's bad. So anyway I got really bad gasses over a week and I felt almost sick every single time I ate something. Then during Easter I got the worst case of diarrhea I've gotten in years. It was pretty bad. I went to a doctor, his medicines didn't do anything, and I had to run to another emergency room during the morning. The doctor immediately asked for a stool examination, which I did. I got the results a week later, while the medicines he gave me were helping ok. I got my results today, they say it might be a case of giardia. I'm sure it is, throughout the week I've felt a little weak, depressed, I feel like I weigh a lot less and absolutely everything upsets my stomach, although I keep trying to eat healthy and stuff. If you feel like you have this and experience such symptoms, visit a microbiologist now and do the stool test. I'm a bit scares this parasite might never go away, or that it'll be there for years.

Comment from: Mrs. C, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

We got a kitten a couple weeks ago and he was just diagnosed with Giardia lamblia and coccidia. I knew something was wrong because his belly was kind of bloated. Unfortunately, I think I may have picked it up from playing with him before we got him checked out. I picked up C. difficile in the hospital 2 years ago and really hope this doesn't hurt as bad as that. I've had insane heart burn and some abdominal cramping the last 2 days. Going to wait a few more days and see how it goes. But for those of you saying you are seeing the cysts or worms in your stool, that's not giardia. You can't see it without a microscope.

Comment from: themare5716, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I contracted giardia lamblia 3 years ago by drinking water from my hose. I was put on a 2 cycle round of antibiotics. I lost a lot of weight (60 lb.) because I couldn't digest fatty food and had constant diarrhea. To this day I still can't digest fatty foods but I don't have giardia. The damage was already done, I guess. I have learned how to eat around the giardia so that I don't get the diarrhea, but sometimes I screw up and get the familiar sudden ache in my lower intestines and have to rush to the bathroom.

Comment from: Bunny, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

I had a difficult time finding a doctor that would test for Giardia.

Comment from: gettingbetter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

We are taking Wormless from Herbactive for giardia lamblia, it has cured others and does not cost a fortune!

Comment from: Allen, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I am a 62 year old male and I was told on June 26th 2014 that I had giardia lamblia. I have had diarrhea for a year or longer. I was blaming my diarrhea on everything from foods I would eat to my gallbladder surgery. I was having diarrhea that I would wake up and sometimes didn't make it to the restroom! I also had a terrible smell when I belched. When I belched it stank so bad that people that lived in the home could smell it in another room! I am still on medicines. I think that my diarrhea has lasted for over 2 years off and on but that last six months has been the worst! I don't know how I got giardia but I hope it doesn't last because it has also caused me to have pain that runs down from my hip and down to my groin. I had severe pain and although I am on medications now and my diarrhea is going away, but the pain in my groin hasn't.

Comment from: DoctorOnTeeVee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I caught giardia in Mexico, because I was too lazy to boil water just once. I had been boiling it and drinking it, with no problems. The next year, I had my first asthma attack, which I still have to this day. In my childhood and college years, I got sick a lot. After I caught giardia, I rarely got sick. My theory is the parasite stimulated my immune system into high gear. This over-active immune response is causing my lungs reacting to harmless foreign proteins, such as pollen, dust by producing inflammation, which gives me asthma, in my opinion.

Comment from: Guzzie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I have had giardia for several years and even been referred to the School of Tropical Medicine to try to cure it - all without success. At first the symptoms were severe with vomiting, nausea and violent diarrhea. They have now settled down to a continual cycle of constipation followed by low level diarrhea, mild nausea following food, continual tiredness, mild fevers and a feeling of being generally unwell a lot of the time. Not severe, almost like you are about to go down with a cold etc. but the cumulative effect is wearing and very depressive for mental health.

Comment from: Gazelle42, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I picked up giardia lamblia from a swimming pool while on vacation. It was a couple of months before I was so sick that I went in for treatment. It's been 4 months now and even though I am better, I am still sick a lot. I am tired and weak, and have nausea, I just don't feel good. But I am so much better than when I was first diagnosed.

Comment from: Patricia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I heard that walking barefoot on the grass was healthy. I spent 3 months doing this and felt wiggling in my rectum. I knew it was worms and decided to try garlic. After 2 months I felt wiggling in my nose. Immediately I went to the doctor and was given albendazole. It helped but I still felt some wiggling after one treatment. The doctor said I was imagining it. Finally my gynecologist doctor gave me a 5 day stool test. It came back with giardia lamblia. I have no symptoms of stomach pain or loose bowels. I'm more inclined to be constipated. I really believe I have threadworms.

Comment from: coco, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

The Ayurvedic herb that relieved my symptoms is called Vidanga. I am very grateful to have been told about this herb.it saved me from a lot of suffering. I always have Vidanga in case I get another attack. The cysts of giardia lamblia can hide in the folds of your intestine, so there is a chance of another attack. I also take Vidanga for at least 30 days to cover the life cycle of the Giardia.

Comment from: Starsky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have been sick for about a month now, I have lost more than ten pounds. I can"t really eat anything that doesn"t upset my stomach. I have been to the emergency room six times, and I feel the doctors are just dismissing my symptoms which I think is of giardia lamblia. I found cysts in my stool, have gas, constant burping, diarrhea, and acid reflux. I was given Flagyl, which made me very ill, it"s a day to day struggle but I hope I can get rid of this soon. I have an appointment this week, and then a gastroenterologist.

Comment from: Bob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

My female partner and I have been incorporating more anal sex into our intimate life and, sure enough, I develop classic signs and symptoms of giardia lamblia: loose and foul smelling stools, intense bloating and flatulence, fatigue, and not as much weight loss as I had when I first got it 10 years ago while camping. I"ve started generic metronidazole with good results. We"ve changed our sexual practices and paid better attention to scrupulous hygiene. People need to know that anal sex is a risk factor.

Comment from: Rettabug, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been tested for parasites twice and the first one was negative, hope the second one is something. I know I have a parasite, I can plainly see them in my stool, and it is like cyst and a tiny worm. I have bad constipation and I have to take a laxative or use a suppository to go to the bathroom. I get sick for no reason at all, I have headaches and bloating, the gas is awful. I took a round pinworm medicine, but I still have all the symptoms of giardia lamblia and still see them in my stool. I am at my wits end and wonder how contagious these things are!

Comment from: Sahara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I became ill with giardia lamblia about 3 years ago after drinking contaminated water in Africa. I was not treated with antibiotics because by the time I could get medical help my symptoms abated and stool tests were negative. However, whenever I travelled I always experienced a flare-up which was usually short-lived. However after returning from the Middle East last week I experienced really intense gastro-intestinal distress requiring immediate medical treatment. My general physician decided to administer Fasigyn and my symptoms literally went in hours and I just found out my stool test was also positive. It would seem that I have had the infection all this time. It seems you can carry this bug for years.

Comment from: Julieg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was really sick with giardia lamblia for 3 weeks before I was diagnosed. Mainly I was feeling terribly ill, with the feeling of acid reflux and heaps of burping. My stools started to get mushy and yellow near the end. I only vomited twice which was after alcohol but coffee made me very nauseous. I lost heaps of weight and could hardly eat. I had 2 courses of Flagyl. I then had irritable bowel for about 3 months. It has now been 5 months and I have tested negative 3 times.

Comment from: Phil, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I have just been diagnosed with Giardia and have been ill for nearly four weeks. I've had constant diarrhea, tiredness and no feelings of hunger whatsoever. It's been great for weight loss, though I wouldn't recommend this to anyone! The first tests didn't show anything abnormal. The doctor recommended starving for two to three days, which I did. Obviously, it didn't help. Fortunately, the second test revealed Giardia, which was a slight relief as I thought I had become intolerant to some food. I am just about to pick up a prescription of a three-day course of antibiotics that will, I pray, cure it completely. I believe I may have picked it up following eating something horrid at a carnival.

Comment from: drewgong, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I had a cyclic occurrence. About every 5 to 10 days I would become sicker with all the symptoms except the fatigue, which would persist all the time. Stool samples were tested and were negative each time. Then the symptoms would stop and I'd feel mostly better except for the fatigue so I thought that whatever I had had cured itself. A week or so it would start again. I'd send a sample for testing and get a negative result again. Finally I got a positive result from a sample which showed the presence of Giardia and the doctor said "good news it is easy to treat." The doctor gave me these large tablets of Flagyl. They were hard to take as I couldn't take them with any food and only some water and they were revolting. They worked fast. The next day I felt better and two days later I felt like superman (this is the best way to describe the feeling of improvement after the weeks of feeling tired and lazy). It was the most amazing recovery I have every experienced. I have had Giardiasis at least twice since.

Published: July 31

I have come in contact with giardia lamblia several times in my life and it is a horrible experience. Usually during camping trips, but most recently at a popular water park. The first time I ever got it I had no idea what was wrong and I was so very tired and had no energy and just had to lay down so often. I had weight loss, loss of appetite, fatigue, diarrhea, abdominal pain, dizziness, bloating, sometimes gas and foul order to the stools. It was very uncomfortable. Sometimes doctors just blow it off as something you ate and that it will pass. If you know you went camping or to a water park do not ignore these signs and insist on the stool test or insist on the giardia treatment because I had suffered for a few weeks before the doctor finally diagnosed me the first time. Now I know the signs all to well and go immediately to the doctor for treatment. The treatment is very effective and you feel better pretty quickly.

Published: July 31

I travel extensively overseas. I have had pain, severe bloating and alternating constipation and diarrhea for over a year. Stool cultures revealed yersinia and giardia. I have taken 3 rounds of antibiotics for these and enjoyed two weeks of "recovery" before my symptoms seem to have returned. I'm discouraged to think this can go on for years. I was also interested to read that antacids can actually make symptoms worse. That was definitely my experience. Doctors were so quick to label me IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) even though I did not have symptoms of this for 50+ years.

Published: July 23

I have had gastritis with an ulcer for more then a year now. I went to the gastroenterologist and my general practitioner and they both chalked up my problems to too much alcohol consumption since it occurred after the Super bowl weekend. I suffered for more then a year without drinking and taking antacids to get better with no results. Finally, I decided I was being poisoned somehow and my husband tested our drinking water, which is a private well. It turned out that we had tons of chloroform and bacteria in our water. Looking back, I remember over the past year how we had some of our cats get intestinal and stomach problems, so they must have been suffering from the same thing. Anyway, none of my doctors asked me about my drinking water, and then when they found out I had bad water, none of them suggested a test for parasites. It took me going to the doctor and saying that I wanted to be tested for parasites before anything was done. Now, I find out that I have had Giardia for who knows how long, not to mention I was taking antacids, which even helps the disease multiply.

Comment from: ben, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

I probably contracted the giardia lamblia cysts from camping and drinking or using stream water.

Comment from: Claudia, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I got giardia lamblia a few times and with it came a feeling of slight depression. I had some weight loss land hair loss too but the hair is growing back.

Comment from: kritter, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had beaver fever 25 years ago, and since then I have been diagnosed with irritable bowel, acid reflux, gastritis and lactose intolerance. About 2 years ago I became really sick with gastritis with symptoms such as nausea, bloating, burping, gas, diarrhea, cramps and upper stomach pain. I went to see a nautropath and he found giardia in my system. I went on a diet as suggested by him and took some supplements and I am happy to report that my symptoms are finally disappearing!!!!!

Comment from: Ros, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

Just got back from Bali became sick with the runs and vomiting 2 hours before we landed. Been off my food for nearly two weeks off and on stomach pains and now I am in terrible pain in my gut constantly. Went to docs and will do the stool testing. He said he feels I have a parasite in my bowel, possible gairdia. Take panadine for the pain in the meantime

Comment from: Mrs. G, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

My three cats have had giardia for a long time, and we didn't know what it was. Our cats are indoor-only cats, so we have no idea how they got it. However, we used to feed our cats store-bought "pet grass" that we think may have been contaminated with giardia. A routine exam at the vet showed giardia in a stool sample of one of our cats. The first round of antibiotics didn't work, and our cats are now on a second dose. We hope this will knock it out. I'm the one who cleans the litter box. For a week now, I haven't felt well: very tired, diarrhea, weight loss, etc. Then I had horrible stomach cramps. I was rushed to the hospital, and they did all kinds of testing. Although none of my tests showed giardia, since we have three cats with it, the doctors at the hospital think I do have giardia. They sent me home with a prescription for Flagyl. I'm hoping it will knock it out, and I won't have any relapse. I worry about this because I have read that it can last for weeks, months, and even years!

Comment from: Leontine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

My first bout with giardia was about 10 years ago. I was in a restaurant eating dinner and suddenly I was doubled over with excruciating stomach pains. I had no idea what this was. I had to leave the restaurant and go home. Then the diarrhea started. It would last for a few days, accompanied by the bad stomach pains, and then I would have a relief for about three days and then it would start again. I went to the doctor many times. The first time he said it was stress, the next times he said irritable bowel syndrome. This went on and on without any improvement. Then I went to a new doctor who did a stool sample and luckily they found the giardia. The medication worked immediately and I've been good ever since up until a few days ago. The pain hit me again and it was deja vue all over again. I'll never forget that pain because it's quite intense. I'll be going to the doctor tomorrow. I just moved to Florida so I'm wondering how I got it this time.

Comment from: Steven, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

For almost two years, I've been employed as a veterinarian technician. So every day, I end up finding giardia or the cyst form in fecal floats, plus the horrible symptoms displayed by the pets, and sometimes even death. I never even thought of what the symptoms in humans would be. I thought you only got these kinds of things from drinking out of birdbaths or going to Mexico. So for about the past six months, my energy has been so low that I end up getting about 12 hours of sleep a day. I had horrible yellowish-liquidy foul feces that would manifest itself terribly in the middle of the night only to have it come back 10 minutes later after I went back to bed. I also had awful cramps. (I'm a guy! I shouldn't have to deal with that stuff!) I had no appetite, and I lost 40 pounds. I still cannot satisfy my thirst for cold water.

Published: July 25

I had giardia some time ago (20 years or so). I probably contracted it from an exotic fish at an iffy restaurant. The only symptom was instant-on watery diarrhea every 20 to 30 minutes at all hours of the day. Other than that I felt 100% fine. The doctor diagnosed it from a stool sample and prescribed Furoxone, and when I was done with the bottle a week later, the problem was gone. I've never seen it return.

Published: June 26

I was really sick at the back end of May and have just tested positive for Giardia. I have no idea where I contracted it and no-one else I know is sick. I still have no appetite and keep getting waves of nausea, headaches and tiredness. I guess my doctor is going to prescribe some antibiotic but I have heard that giardia never really goes away and that once you are infected you keep having flares-ups.

Published: June 23

Thank you to the person who wrote above regarding their burps that smell like sulfur or rotten eggs--I am not crazy. I got back two weeks ago from a trip to Africa along with eight other people, and we have all had various symptoms such as diarrhea, nausea, stomach pains, etc., which have come and gone (and come again). But, I seem to be the only one who has described this symptom regarding my burps. That symptom went away after a taking Cipro for about a week, but now that I've been off Cipro, some of my other symptoms seem to be reappearing. I'm fearful that the toxic burp will also return. Based on the comments, I am going to immediately ask my doctor if what I am experiencing could be giardia.

Published: June 18

I took Dr Natura colon cleanse last winter, and two weeks ago we started taking Parastroy because of bloated stomachs, bad breath, and a lack of energy. We found Giardia in both forms in out stools as well as other parasites. When the program is complete, we will wait 30 days and take it again. Not sure how we contracted Giardia, maybe by swimming in the lake. We understand that it is also called "beaver fever". I would like to know what other people have taken to kill these parasites.

Published: June 10

Extreme stomach pain and unable to eat anything because it causes more pain.

Published: June 09

I just recently overcame a bout of Giardia. I had severe diarrhea, bloating and abdominal cramps. This is the second time I have had it and the one thing I would like to pass on is something I have yet to read anywhere. I had burps that would smell like sulfur or rotten eggs. It was quite pronounced so much so my co workers and family member could smell it quite easily. It took quite a bit of research to find out what was causing this. Apparently this symptom is unique to Giardia; however it is never described on any website as a symptom. The sulfur burps would always start a day before the other symptoms and I knew that I was to be very sick very soon. After some intense research I was able to find a article that corroborated this symptom with this illness. I have found many inquiries from many people looking for answers whom have had the same rotten egg burps, yet there has been nothing documented.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have been sick for 6 weeks, am 79 yrs. started with terrible burping after every meal; then attacks of nausea so horrible i cant describe it; cold sweats, dizziness sometimes. I fainted once. I had an endoscopy, and doctor upped my PPI, and discovered giardia in my stomach. I have had no diarrhea! Rather the opposite! I am now on metrodonidazole 3 times day for 7 days. I only hope this clears it. I have lost 6 lbs, am off meat and coffee, and have had to become basically a vegetarian. I am tired constantly, a complete change from my old self. I know you can't live forever, but to go because of a parasite!

Comment from: lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have had giardia many times, the first from water camping in Wyoming. It is as everyone here has described. The most effective treatment has been Flagyl but it isn't fun. My question is: Has anyone treated for giardia had relapses of occasional nausea, extreme fatigue, dizziness, headaches, bloating, occasional foul smelling gas, etc. but not the intense symptoms suffered with full blown giardia? I've heard that some people never completely get rid of the parasite and I'm wondering if my symptoms, which have been put down to various things over the past 4 years, i.e. stress, chronic fatigue syndrome, low-grade flu, etc. could actually be caused by giardia. I would be grateful for any advice.

Comment from: Bethany, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

This disease has affected my partner for nearly 2years. He has taken anti-biotics many times, but nothing has seemed to get rid of the parasite. He has been very, very ill from this, and he use to be a big meat eater, now, when he eats meat and most dairy products, he fells un-controllably ill. Now he does not eat any of the above, which has created low iron and now he is on iron tablets to keep him awake in every day life. It has become a hassle, as well as a major discomfort for him and myself. Nothing seems to work for him to get rid of the parasite.

Comment from: Ddavis, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 17

Three years ago, my teenage son was playing in run off water after a heavy rain shower. Several days later he began to have diarrhea. He became dehydrated and had to have IV fluids at the ER. We have since learned that farm land in our area is fertilized with treated sewage sludge. Our city newspaper is now running articles about the health hazards of this practice.

Comment from: anne, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

I got giardia from eating at a fast food restaurant about fifteen years ago. It was just horrible and I still suffer from severe diarrhea that no doctor can find the cause for. I also have been told that I must have IBS. I just don't know what to do. I had to quit my job four years ago because of accidents so often it was quite embarrassing and exhausting.

Comment from: Joe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

One thing I can say is: Don't get it! I have never been so sick. I couldn't leave the bathroom, I couldn't eat anything, and I felt horrible for about a week. I got giardia lamblia in Mexico. The funny thing is, there were 20 of us on the trip, and I was the only one that got it! The symptoms started three days after we got home. I thought I had the flu, but it's like the flu times 10. If you get it, go to a doctor.

Published: July 25

I have just been diagnosed with giardia after a month of burping, stomach pain, and diarrhea. I'm not sure where I got it, but I'm curious if my dog may be a contributing factor. Other than being grossed out by the fact that I have parasites in my body, I guess I'll live once I complete the antibiotics.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter