Gestational diabetes is a condition that is first recognized during pregnancy and is characterized by high blood sugar. Approximately 4% of all pregnancies are diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Low blood sugar is prevented by hormones produced by the placenta during a woman's pregnancy. The actions of insulin are stopped by these hormones. Gestational diabetes is the result of the pancreas' inability to produce enough insulin to overcome the effect of the increase hormones during pregnancy.
Risk factors for gestational diabetes include obesity, previous history of gestational diabetes, having a parent or sibling with type 2 diabetes, personal history of polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), and ethnicity.
There typically are no signs and symptoms of gestational diabetes. Treatment includes diet modifications and if necessary, insulin.Read more: Gestational Diabetes Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment, Medication
Learn about type 2 diabetes warning signs, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read how diet and exercise can help manage...
Diabetes Diet: Healthy Meal Plans for Diabetes-Friendly Eating
Discover the best and worst meals for diabetes-savvy dining. See how to avoid carbs and control your blood sugar with healthier...
Type 2 Diabetes: Test Your Medical IQ
What causes type 2 diabetes? Can it be prevented? Take this online quiz and challenge your knowledge of this common condition....
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
How Diabetes Can Affect Your Feet
Learn more about diabetes related foot problems. For people with diabetes, too much glucose in the blood can cause serious foot...
Type 1 Diabetes: What Are The Symptoms?
What is type 1 diabetes? Is there a cure for type 1 diabetes? Learn about type 1 diabetes symptoms, warning signs, causes, and...
Blood Sugar Swings: Tips for Managing Diabetes & Glucose Levels
Learn to better control your glucose levels by preventing blood sugar swings. Beware of caffeine, sugary foods, spices, exercise,...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
What Not to Eat When Pregnant Pictures: Alcohol, Fish, Fruit Juice, Sushi
Do you know which common foods may be risky during pregnancy? Learn which foods to avoid, while pregnant, such as queso dip,...
Pictures of Famous People With Diabetes
See pictures of celebrities that have been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes including Mary Tyler Moore, Salma Hayek, and...
Travel Tips for Better Diabetes Control
Traveling with diabetes can be intimidating, but it shouldn't stop you! Learn tips for packing your diabetic supplies, how to...
Diabetes Management Tips and Preventing Complications
Learn 10 simple ways to better manage your diabetes. See tips for controlling blood sugar, diet and exercise and other helpful...
Diabetes Diet: 11 Low-Sugar Drink Ideas
Searching for low-sugar drink ideas? This pictures slideshow has eleven beverages ideal for people with diabetes and those...
Pictures of 10 Muscle-Building Exercises for Diabetes
Watch this slideshow on Diabetes and Exercise. If you have diabetes, see how strengthening your muscles with these 10 weight...
Related Disease Conditions
Diabetes Diet for Type 2 Diabetes, List of Foods
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
High Blood Sugar (Glucose, Hyperglycemia)
Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar is a serious health problem for diabetics. There are two types of hyperglycemia, 1) fasting,...
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
Diabetes Symptoms in Women
Diabetes symptoms in women include vaginal itching, pain, or discharge, loss if interest or pain after having sex, polycystic...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Care Before and During Pregnancy--Prenatal Care
Second Source article from Government...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Diabetic Ketoacidosis (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Complications)
Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a complication of type 1 diabetes that is life threatening. If a person thinks they may have...
Diabetes and Eye Problems
Diabetes and eye problems are generally caused by high blood sugar levels over an extended period of time. Types of eye problems...
Type 1 Diabetes (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Preventing Diabetes Naturally (Type 2, Diet, Causes, Symptoms)
Prediabetes is a condition in which a person has early symptoms of diabetes, but have not yet fully developed the condition. If...
Type 2 Diabetes Medications (Side Effects, Differences)
Type 2 diabetes oral medications are prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes in conjuction with lifestyle changes like diet and...
A diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may...
Normal Blood Sugar Levels (Ranges) In Adults with Diabetes
People with diabetes can manage and prevent low or high blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia) by keeping a log of...
Pregnancy and Drugs (Prescription and OTC)
Taking prescription medications or over-the-counter drugs or supplements should be discussed with your doctor. There are some...
Pregnancy Diet (Menu Plans)
When a woman is pregnant she needs more vitamins, minerals, and other foods in her diet to stay healthy and deliver a healthy...
Tips for Managing Type 1 and 2 Diabetes at Home
Managing your diabetes is a full time commitment. The goal of diabetic therapy is to control blood glucose levels and prevent the...
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Taking care of a disease such as diabetes is a life-long process. Learn how to care for yourself or loved one with diabetes in...
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Diabetes FAQs
- Type 2 Diabetes FAQs
- Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar) Symptoms and Diabetes
- 11 Diabetes Diet Tips for the Holidays
- Diabetes Diet
- Top 10 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Diabetes
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Symptoms
- Prediabetes Symptoms and Diagnosis
- Diabetes: Eating Well with Type 2 Diabetes
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- AHA News: Could 'Cardio-Obstetrics' Curb Rise in Pregnancy-Related Deaths?
- Two Factors at Birth Can Boost a Child's Obesity Risk
- When Blood Sugar Rises in Pregnancy, Mom and Baby Pay the Price
- Blood Test in Early Pregnancy May Predict Mom's Diabetes Risk
- Health Tip: Getting Prenatal Tests
- Mom's Diabetes May Be Tied to Baby's Autism Risk: Study
- Get Fit to Cut Your Diabetes Risk During Pregnancy
- Health Tip: If You're Pregnant and Have Diabetes
- Mom-to-Be's High Blood Sugar May Raise Baby's Odds for Heart Defects
- Diabetes, High Blood Pressure While Pregnant Spells Trouble Later On
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Prediabetes
- Women Who Gain Weight Between Babies at Higher Risk for Diabetes
- Pregnancy-Linked Diabetes Poses Risks for Mom, Baby
- Gestational Diabetes a Risk Factor for Postpartum Depression: Study
- Tracking Blood Sugar in Pregnancy Might Lower Heart Defect Risk for Baby
- Too Much Iron Linked to Gestational Diabetes
- New Guidelines Urge Diabetics to Move More
- Can Pregnancy Problems Foretell Future Health Risks?
- Is Summer Peak Time for Diabetes Tied to Pregnancy?
- Diabetes During Pregnancy Could Pose Harm to Baby
- Pregnancy Problems More Likely With Baby Boys, Study Suggests
- Exercise May Keep Diabetes in Check During Pregnancy
- Gestational Diabetes May Lead to More Body Fat on Babies
- Vitamin D While Pregnant Won't Boost Most Infants' Bone Health, Study Says
- Study Links Diabetes, Obesity in Moms-to-Be to Higher Autism Risk in Kids
- Pre-Pregnancy Potato Consumption Linked to Gestational Diabetes
- More Belly Fat in First Trimester Linked to Diabetes Risk Later in Pregnancy
- 'Organic Pollutants' Linked to Gestational Diabetes
- Exercise Can Cut Risk of Pregnancy-Related Diabetes: Study
- Could Diabetes Run in Your Relationship?
- Baby's Gender May Influence Mom's Diabetes Risk
- Is Gestational Diabetes Linked to Autism?
- Gestational Diabetes Drug Might Raise Babies' Complication Risk
- 2 Factors Greatly Boost New Moms' Odds of Type 2 Diabetes
- Many Women Gain Too Much Weight While Pregnant, Study Finds
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Lower Some Pregnancy Complications, Raise Others
- Cost of Diabetes Care Keeps Climbing, Report Shows
- Gestational Diabetes May Influence Daughter's Weight Later
- Health Tip: Breast-feeding With Diabetes
- Fried Foods Linked to Raised Risk of Diabetes in Pregnancy
- Healthy Lifestyle Before Pregnancy May Cut Gestational Diabetes Risk
- 1 in 10 Moms-to-Be Develop Pregnancy-Linked Diabetes: CDC
- Obesity Linked to Increased Odds of Losing Baby, Study Finds
- Pregnancy-Related Diabetes Tied to Future Heart Risk
- U.S. Panel Urges Diabetes Screening for All Pregnant Women
- Testing for Pregnancy-Linked Diabetes Should Be Routine, Experts Say
- Health Tip: Understanding Gestational Diabetes
- Sleep Apnea Seen in Pregnant Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Bacteria Infection Risk May Be Higher for Pregnant Women With Diabetes
- Task Force: Screen for Gestational Diabetes After 24 Weeks of Pregnancy
- Vitamin D Important During Pregnancy, Study Suggests
- Ob/Gyn Group Urges Docs to Help Prevent 'Octomom'-Type Multiple Births
- Health Tip: Should I Be Screened for Prediabetes?
- Overweight? You Can Scale Back Weight Gain in Pregnancy
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetes Prevention: Start Small, Experts Say
- World Diabetes Day Designed to Raise Awareness
- Women Born Preterm May Face Pregnancy Risks
- Gestational Diabetes, Poverty Linked to ADHD
- Excess Weight, Diabetes Raise Risk of Big Babies
- Mom's Pot Use Doubles Risk of 'Preemie' Birth: Study
- Antipsychotic Drugs Linked to Higher Odds for Diabetes in Pregnancy
- Overweight Moms More Apt to Have Large Babies, Study Says
- Pregnancy After 40: Healthy Weight Improves Risk
- Overweight Pregnant Women at Higher Risk for Complications
- Heavier Baby Girls at Higher Risk for Diabetes, Heart Woes as Adults
- Pregnancy Complications May Predict Heart Trouble Later
- Fatty Diet Before Pregnancy Linked to Gestational Diabetes
- Mom's Poverty, Diabetes Might Raise ADHD Risk in Kids
- Preterm Birth Rates Heading in Right Direction, Barely
- 49 Million Americans Struggle to Put Food on the Table
- No More Co-pay for Birth Control
- What's the Best Test for Children's Diabetes?
- Breastfeeding by Diabetic Moms Cuts Babies' Obesity Risk
- New Guidelines on Women's Heart Risk
- CDC: 26 Million Americans Have Diabetes
- Kids' Behavior Not Linked to Obese Moms-to-Be
- Breastfeeding May Lower Moms' Diabetes Risk
- Obesity May Increase Risk of Preterm Birth
- High Doses of Vitamin D May Cut Pregnancy Risks
- Exercise During Pregnancy for Smaller Baby
- Pregnant Women Don't Get Enough Exercise
- Gestational Diabetes Underdiagnosed
- Early Pregnancy Weight Gain Ups Diabetes Risk