German measles is a disease that's caused by a virus. Symptoms include rash and fever for two to three days. The MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) vaccine prevents this disease. Read more: German Measles (Rubella) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Rubella 1
The constellation of abnormalities caused by infection with the rubella (German measles) virus before birth. See a picture of...
Picture of Rubella 2
Petechiae on the hard palate of the same individual (Forchheimer's sign). See a picture of Rubella and learn more about the...
Childhood Diseases: Measles, Mumps, & More
Is your child at risk for these childhood diseases? Know what to look for and when to call the doctor for conditions such as...
Related Disease Conditions
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Glands): Pictures, Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count)
Thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) refers to a decreased number of platelets in the blood. Symptoms of thrombocytopenia...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Mumps is an acute viral illness caused by the mumps virus. Symptoms of mumps include fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness,...
Measles (rubeola) is a highly contagious disease that's caused by a virus. Symptoms include a rash, high fever, cough, runny...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Labyrinthitis (Inner Ear Inflammation) Symptoms, Causes, Contagious, Treatment Cure
Labyrinthitis is inflammation of the labyrinth (the part of the ear responsible for balance and hearing). Doctors do not know...
Microcephaly is a genetic condition where the circumference of the head is smaller than normal due to underdeveloped brain....
Birth defects have many causes and currently, are the leading cause of death for infants in the first year of life. Some of the...
Are Skin Rashes Contagious?
Direct and indirect contact can spread some types of rashes from person to person. Rash treatment depends upon a rash's...
Miscarriage is the medical term for the spontaneous loss of pregnancy from conception to 20 weeks gestation. Risk factors for a...
A cataract is an eye disease that causes the eye's lens to become cloudy and opaque with decreased vision. Causes of cataracts...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Egg Allergy? Don't Let That Stop You From Getting Vaccinated
- NYC Declares Public Health Emergency Over Brooklyn Measles Outbreak
- U.S. Measles Cases This Year Reach 465: CDC
- Global Spike in Measles a 'Serious Concern'
- Measles Case Reported in Minnesota
- Second Alert About Measles Patient At O'Hare Airport
- Alert Issued Over Measles Patient at O'Hare Airport
- Measles Making a Comeback in the United States
- Zika Causes Widespread Damage to Fetal Brain
- Another Study Finds No Vaccine-Autism Link
- U.S. Measles Cases Now Exceed 100: CDC
- 78 People Now Infected in U.S. Measles Outbreak
- California Measles Outbreak Shows How Quickly Disease Can Resurface in U.S.
- Measles at Disneyland: What You Should Know
- Health Tip: Have Your Child's Eyes Checked
- Blacks Respond Better to German Measles Vaccine, Study Contends
- On-time Use of Routine Vaccine Keeps Kids Out of Hospital
- Common Childhood Vaccine Won't Worsen Juvenile Arthritis: Study
- Rubella in Pregnancy Rare in U.S., But Can Be Devastating for Baby
- Did Schooling Method Spread Mumps in Orthodox Jewish Communities?
- Are Kindergarten Kids Getting Their Vaccines?
- Survey: Younger Doctors More Skeptical of Vaccines
- Unvaccinated Kids Behind Largest U.S. Measles Outbreak in Years: Study
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter