Questions to Ask Your Doctor About GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
Note: We recommend you print and use this page as a reference for your consultation with your doctor.Medical Reviewing Editor: Jay W. Marks, MD
- Why do you think GERD (acid reflux) is the cause of my problem? What conditions other than GERD could be causing my problem?
- What tests are used to diagnose GERD and exclude other conditions? Which of these tests are you recommending?
- Why do you want to do these particular tests, and what are the tests' side effects?
- What treatments are available for GERD? Which treatment are you recommending and why are you recommending it over other treatments?
- What side effects of treatment should I look out for? Is it necessary to do testing to monitor for side effects?
- Are there any medications that I am already taking or am likely to take that can interact with the medications you are prescribing?
- Do I have any medical conditions that may complicate diagnosis or treatment?
- What changes in my life-style, for example, dietary habits, may be beneficial in addition to the treatment you are recommending?
- What can I expect the course of my GERD to be over time? What are the complications of GERD that may develop?
- What important symptoms or signs should I look out for and report to the doctor?
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Reviewed on 6/13/2018 12:00:00 AM