Genital warts is an infection caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It is the most common sexually transmitted infection (STD) in the U.S. Genital warts are spread by sexual contact. Signs and symptoms of genital warts include genital itching, burning, tenderness, and pain. Genital warts can be removed, but there is no cure for HPV infection. There is a vaccine to prevent infection from four common HPV types.Read more: Genital Warts in Women (HPV) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Is It Contagious? What Diseases Are Contagious?
Is it contagious? Take this quiz to learn about contagious diseases, how contagious diseases are spread, and myths and facts...
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Picture of Genital Warts (HPV)
A wart in the moist skin of the genitals or around the anus. See a picture of Genital Warts (HPV) and learn more about the health...
STD Diagnosis, Images, Symptoms, Treatment
Learn about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) including symptoms, signs, diagnosis, and treatment options. Get more...
Picture of Vagina
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a soft, flexible lining that provides lubrication and sensation. See a picture of...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Head and Neck Cancers: Symptoms and Treatments
Head and neck cancers include cancers of the throat, lips, nose, mouth, larynx, and salivary glands. They are more likely to...
Related Disease Conditions
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Vaginitis refers to inflammation of the vagina. Vaginitis can be caused by infections, menopause, or poor hygiene. Symptoms of...
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
There are a variety of diseases and conditions that can cause tongue problems, discoloration, and soreness. Though most tongue...
Syphilis in Women
Syphilis is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by a spiral-shaped type of bacteria known as a spirochete. There are...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
Gonorrhea In Women
Gonorrhea is a bacterial infection transmitted during sexual contact. In women, symptoms include a yellow vaginal discharge,...
HPV (Human Papillomavirus Infection)
HPVs or human papillomaviruses are a group of viral infections of the skin and mucous membranes. Certain high-risk types of HPV...
Anal cancer, cancer located at the end of the large intestine, has symptoms that include anal or rectal bleeding, anal pain or...
Signs and symptoms of penile cancer include a lump on the penis and redness, irritation, or a sore on the penis. Risk of penis...
The term oral cancer includes cancer of the mouth (oral cavity) and the back of the mouth (oropharynx). Red and white patches...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
The term sex addiction describes the behavior of someone who has an unusually strong sex drive or sexual obsession. Sex and...
Genital Warts in Men (HPV)
The HPV virus (genital warts) in men can cause health problems. Genital warts are confined primarily to the moist skin of the...
Vaginal cancer is fairly uncommon. There are two types of vaginal cancer: squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma. Risk...
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Enjoying a satisfying sex life as we age is important to both physical and mental health. As we age, diseases and conditions may...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Genital Warts (HPV) - Effective Treatments
What kinds of treatment, including laser surgery or prescription ointments, have you used for genital warts?Post View 8 Comments
Genital Warts - Symptoms
Some people have itching or burning. Please describe the symptoms associated with your genital warts.Post View 2 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- HPV Vaccine Safe for Adult Women: Study
- Cancer Experts Endorse CDC's HPV Vaccine Guidelines
- 1st HPV Test for Use With Preservative Fluid
- HPV-Linked Cancers Still Climbing in U.S.
- HPV Vaccine Rates Highest in Poor and Hispanic Communities: Study
- Too Few Preteen Girls Get HPV Vaccine, CDC Says
- Too Few Boys Get HPV Vaccine, CDC Study Finds
- Too Few U.S. Teens Getting HPV Vaccine: CDC
- HPV Vaccination Tied to Drop in Precancerous Cervical Lesions in U.S.
- 1 Dose of HPV Vaccine May Offer Protection: Study
- College Kids Don't Understand the HPV Threat
- E-Reminders May Boost HPV Vaccination Rates
- HPV Vaccination for Girls May Help Prevent Cancers in Males
- HPV Vaccine Produces Early Benefits for Teen Girls: Study
- Study Supports HPV Vaccination Guidelines
- HPV Vaccination Does Not Appear to Boost Risky Teen Sex, Study Shows
- Many U.S. Girls Aren't Getting HPV Vaccine, Study Finds
- Advisers Endorse HPV Test for Cervical Cancer Checks
- Study: HPV Vaccine Doesn't Increase Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- HPV Vaccination Rates Lowest in States With Highest Cervical Cancer Rates: Study
- Study Shows Men Can Get Oral HPV Infection From Women
- Tobacco Tied to Higher Risk of Oral HPV Infection, Study Finds
- Experimental Cervical Cancer Vaccine Looks Promising in Trial
- Urine Test for HPV Works Well, Analysis Finds
- HPV Vaccine Program in Australia Linked to Lower Infection Rates
- HPV Vaccine Protects Against Infection 8 Years Out: Study
- Too Few Teens Receive HPV Shot, CDC Says
- Cervical Cancer Vaccine Doesn't Boost Clot Risk: Study
- Two-Thirds of U.S. Adults May Carry HPV
- HPV-Linked Oral Cancers May Not Be 'Contagious'
- Could the HPV Test Replace the Pap Test?
- HPV-Linked Throat Cancer May Have Telltale First Symptoms
- FDA Panel Recommends HPV Test As Replacement for Pap Smear
- Study Adds to Evidence That HPV Vaccine Helps Guard Against Cervical Cancer
- Partial HPV Vaccine Series May Help Prevent Genital Warts in Girls
- President's Panel Calls for More Girls, Boys to Get HPV Vaccine
- HPV Vaccination Rates Might Rise If More Docs Recommended It
- Many Young Americans Know Little About Cervical Cancer Vaccine
- Why Many U.S. Preteens Aren't Getting the HPV Shot
- Screening for HPV May Be Better Than Pap Test, Study Suggests
- Single Dose of HPV Vaccine May Be Enough to Guard Against Cervical Cancer
- HPV Vaccines May Be Less Effective for Black Women: Study
- Researchers Tie Increased Throat Cancer Cases to HPV Infection
- HPV Vaccination Rates Among Teens Still Lagging: CDC
- Poor Oral Hygiene Tied to Cancer-Linked Virus, Study Finds
- Too Few Girls Getting HPV Vaccine: CDC
- HPV May Also Raise Risk of Throat Cancer
- Single Men Show Higher Risk of Cancer-Linked Oral HPV
- HPV Vaccine Might Shield Women Against Throat Cancer: Study
- U.K. Experts Urge HPV Vaccine for Young Gay Men
- Many Docs Don't Follow HPV/Pap Test Guidelines: Study
- HPV Vaccine Lowering Infection Rates Among Girls: CDC
- Michael Douglas Blames His Throat Cancer on Oral Sex
- Girls May Need Fewer Gardasil Shots, Study Suggests
- Kids More Likely to Pick Up Warts at Home, Not Public Spaces
- HPV Vaccination Sends Genital Wart Cases Plummeting: Study
- Study Hints of Links Between HPV and Lung Cancer
- Parents' Worries About HPV Vaccine on the Rise: Study
- Some HPV-Linked Cancers Rising in U.S.: Report
- Clearing Up the Confusion on When to Get a Pap Test
- For One Woman, HPV Vaccine Was a 'No-Brainer'
- 'Hidden' HPV May Reactivate in Older Women, Study Suggests
- HPV Vaccine Not Linked to Promiscuity in Girls
- Experimental Vaccine Might Help Women Already Infected With HPV
- HPV Vaccine Found Safe in Large Study
- Too Few Girls Get HPV Vaccine Against Cancer: CDC
- Health Reform: No-Cost Contraception Starts Today
- Shots Should Be on College Kids' Back-to-School List
- HPV Test Beats Pap Long-Term: Study
- HPV Might Raise Risk of Form of Skin Cancer
- HPV Vaccine Reducing Infections, Even Among Unvaccinated: Study
- Gum Disease, HPV May Play Role in Head and Neck Cancers
- Infection Causes 1 in 6 Cancers Worldwide: Study
- HPV Cancer Hits 8,000 Men, 18,000 Women a Year
- HPV-Related Head, Neck Cancers on the Rise
- Preteens More Likely to Report HPV Vaccine Side Effects
- HPV Vaccine May Help Women With Cervical Conditions
- Pediatricians Renew Call for HPV Vaccine for Boys
- Women Can Take Steps to Prevent Cervical Cancer
- HPV Test Beats Pap Test for Cervical Cancer Screening
- Study: HPV Vaccine Doesn't Encourage Risky Sexual Activity
- More Teens Getting Vaccines Against HPV, Other Infections: CDC
- Home-Based Test Can Detect Cervical Cancer Virus: Study
- Males 11-21 Should Get Gardasil HPV Vaccine
- Girls More Likely to Get HPV Vaccine When Doctors Recommend It
- Guidelines Suggest Less Frequent Screening for Cervical Cancer
- HPV-Linked Oral Cancers on the Rise, Study Finds
- Vaccines for Teens: Still Room for Improvement
- Many Doctors Ignore Guidelines, Order Annual Pap Test
- No More Co-pay for Birth Control
- Can HPV Vaccine Stop Throat Cancer?
- HPV Vaccine: Early Evidence of Impact
- FDA Approves New HPV Test
- Late Doses of HPV Vaccine May Still Be Effective
- Half of Men Have Genital HPV
- Simple Steps to Prevent Common Cancers
- HPV Shot Prevents Genital Warts in Boys and Men
- Michael Douglas: Throat Cancer Survivor
- Male Circumcision Cuts Women's Cervical Cancer Risk
- Gardasil Approved for Anal Cancer Prevention
- Gardasil HPV Vaccine Stopping Genital Warts
- HPV Vaccine: Cost-effective Way to Prevent Anal Cancer
- Michael Douglas and Throat Cancer FAQ
- New Insurance Rules: Free Preventive Health Care
- HPV Viruses Linked to Skin Cancer
- Most Young Adults: Oral Sex Is Not Sex
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter