Genital warts is a sexually transmitted infection (STI, STD) caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It is the most common STD in the US. The warts can appear anywhere on the skin where sexual contact has occurred.
The warts look like raised, flesh-colored lumps or bumps that have a cauliflower-like appearance. Signs and symptoms of genital warts in women include vaginal, vulva, or groin pain, itching, and burning where the wart(s) is.
Treatment can remove warts or lesions, but it does not prevent spread of the virus, and the warts usually grow back. Removing genital warts does not prevent the infection from spreading elsewhere on the body.
There is no cure for genital warts, and there is no vaccine to prevent them; however, there is a vaccine to prevent infection from four common types of HPV. Gardasil vaccine available for female adolescents and teens to prevent HPV infection and cervical cancer.Read more: Genital Warts (HPV) Infection in Women Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Is It Contagious? What Diseases Are Contagious?
Is it contagious? Take this quiz to learn about contagious diseases, how contagious diseases are spread, and myths and facts...
Birth Control Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What is the best form of birth control? Take this quiz to find out about hormonal, surgical, barrier, and natural methods!...
Genital Herpes Quiz: What is Genital Herpes?
What is genital herpes? Learn the causes, symptoms in men and women, and treatments for this common sexually transmitted skin...
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Picture of Warts
A local growth of the outer layer of the skin (the epidermis) caused by a virus. See a picture of Warts and learn more about the...
Picture of Genital Warts (HPV)
A wart in the moist skin of the genitals or around the anus. See a picture of Genital Warts (HPV) and learn more about the health...
Picture of Vagina
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a soft, flexible lining that provides lubrication and sensation. See a picture of...
Picture of Skin Cancer
Excessive exposure to sunlight is the main cause of skin cancer. See a picture of Skin Cancer and learn more about the health...
Skin Cancer Symptoms, Types, Images
Discover the causes, types, and treatments of skin cancer. Learn how to prevent skin cancer and how to check for melanoma, basal...
12 Preventable STDs: Pictures, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
Sexually transmitted infections like chlamydia and genital herpes are common STDs. Think you might have an STD? You’re not alone....
Signs of Cancer in Women: Symptoms You Can't Ignore
Cancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss,...
Choosing Your Birth Control Method
What are your birth control options? Learn about birth control side effects and effectiveness. Discover birth control methods...
Cervical Cancer Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
Cervical cancer is commonly caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) infections. Learn about vaccines to prevent cervical cancer. Get...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Skin Conditions Below the Waist: Rashes, Bumps, & Lumps
Wondering about an unusual bump, rash, or growth? Learn about common skin conditions below the belt, including genital herpes,...
Head and Neck Cancers: Symptoms and Treatments
Head and neck cancers include cancers of the throat, lips, nose, mouth, larynx, and salivary glands. They are more likely to...
Related Disease Conditions
Cervical Cancer (Cancer of the Cervix)
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
The term oral cancer includes cancer of the mouth (oral cavity) and the back of the mouth (oropharynx). Red and white patches...
Skin cancers occur when skin cells undergo malignant transformations and grow into tumors. The most common types of skin cancer,...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread...
Genital Herpes in Women (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment)
Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). Symptoms of genital herpes...
Signs and symptoms of penile cancer include a lump on the penis and redness, irritation, or a sore on the penis. Risk of penis...
Birth Control Options (Types and Side Effects)
Birth control is available in a variety of methods and types. The method of birth control varies from person to person, and their...
Warts (Common Warts)
Common warts are skin growths causes by the human papillomavirus. There are many types of warts, including plantar warts, common...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Enjoying a satisfying sex life as we age is important to both physical and mental health. As we age, diseases and conditions may...
Vaginitis (Inflammation of the Vagina)
Vaginitis refers to inflammation of the vagina. Vaginitis can be caused by infections, menopause, or poor hygiene. Symptoms of...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Anal cancer, cancer located at the end of the large intestine, has symptoms that include anal or rectal bleeding, anal pain or...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
The term sex addiction describes the behavior of someone who has an unusually strong sex drive or sexual obsession. Sex and...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Vaginal cancer is fairly uncommon. There are two types of vaginal cancer: squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma. Risk...
There are a variety of diseases and conditions that can cause tongue problems, discoloration, and soreness. Though most tongue...
Genital Warts in Men (HPV)
The HPV virus (genital warts) in men can cause health problems. Genital warts are confined primarily to the moist skin of the...
Cervical dysplasia is a condition in which the cells of the inner lining of the cervix have precancerous changes. There are two...
Vulvodynia or vaginal pain, genital pain is a condition in which women have chronic vulvar pain with no known cause. There are...
HPV (Human Papillomavirus Infection)
HPVs or human papillomaviruses are a group of viral infections of the skin and mucous membranes. Certain high-risk types of HPV...
Are Warts Contagious?
Human papillomaviruses cause warts, which are small growths with a rough texture. Warts may cause symptoms and signs such as...
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- STD FAQs
- Genital Herpes FAQs
- Contagious FAQs
- Birth Control FAQs
- Warts--A Common Infectious Disease
- Treatment of Anal Cancer
- Is There a Test for HPV that Leads to Cervical Cancer?
- Is Herpes During Pregnancy Dangerous to the Baby?
- HPV Vaccine Recommendations for Girls, Boys, Women, and Men
- Ask The Experts: Women's Health
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- 'Desperate Housewives' Star Keen to Spread Awareness of Anal Cancer
- Not All Cervical Cancer Rates Are Declining
- AHA News: Evidence Grows for an HPV-Heart Disease Connection
- HPV Vaccine Driving Down Cervical Pre-Cancer Rates
- Why the HPV Vaccine Is More Important Than Ever
- How HIV Might Influence HPV Vaccination Rates
- Cervical 'Microbiome' Could Help Predict Cancer Risk
- Most Nations May Be Rid of Cervical Cancer By 2100
- HPV Might Be Behind Vocal Cord Cancers in Young
- Study Ties Cancer-Causing HPV to Heart Disease, Too
- Health Screenings Every Woman Needs
- Still Too Few Teens Getting the HPV Vaccine
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Cervical Cancer
- HPV Vaccine Even Helps Women Who Didn't Get It: Study
- Vaccine, Screening Can Prevent Cervical Cancer Deaths
- AI Beats Humans at Detecting Cervical Precancers
- HPV Vaccination Rates Continue to Lag in U.S.
- How Necessary Is HPV Cervical Cancer Screening for Women After Age 55?
- Preteens' HPV Shot Won't Encourage Early Sex, Study Says
- HPV Vaccine Approved for People Through Age 45
- FDA Expands Gardasil to Cover Adults to Age 45
- HPV Vaccine Doesn't Put Girls' Fertility at Risk: Study
- HPV Vaccination Rates Rising Among U.S. Teens
- HPV Test May Replace Pap for Some Women, New Guidelines Say
- Catch-Up HPV Shots Work for Teen Girls
- No Link Between HPV Vaccine, Autoimmune Diseases: Study
- Why More Teens Aren't Getting Protection Against Common STD
- Cancer-Causing HPV Can Hide in the Throat
- HPV Vaccine Safe for Adult Women: Study
- Cancer Experts Endorse CDC's HPV Vaccine Guidelines
- 1st HPV Test for Use With Preservative Fluid
- HPV-Linked Cancers Still Climbing in U.S.
- HPV Vaccine Rates Highest in Poor and Hispanic Communities: Study
- Too Few Preteen Girls Get HPV Vaccine, CDC Says
- Too Few Boys Get HPV Vaccine, CDC Study Finds
- Too Few U.S. Teens Getting HPV Vaccine: CDC
- HPV Vaccination Tied to Drop in Precancerous Cervical Lesions in U.S.
- 1 Dose of HPV Vaccine May Offer Protection: Study
- College Kids Don't Understand the HPV Threat
- E-Reminders May Boost HPV Vaccination Rates
- HPV Vaccination for Girls May Help Prevent Cancers in Males
- HPV Vaccine Produces Early Benefits for Teen Girls: Study
- Study Supports HPV Vaccination Guidelines
- HPV Vaccination Does Not Appear to Boost Risky Teen Sex, Study Shows
- Many U.S. Girls Aren't Getting HPV Vaccine, Study Finds
- Advisers Endorse HPV Test for Cervical Cancer Checks
- Study: HPV Vaccine Doesn't Increase Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- HPV Vaccination Rates Lowest in States With Highest Cervical Cancer Rates: Study
- Study Shows Men Can Get Oral HPV Infection From Women
- Tobacco Tied to Higher Risk of Oral HPV Infection, Study Finds
- Experimental Cervical Cancer Vaccine Looks Promising in Trial
- Urine Test for HPV Works Well, Analysis Finds
- HPV Vaccine Program in Australia Linked to Lower Infection Rates
- HPV Vaccine Protects Against Infection 8 Years Out: Study
- Too Few Teens Receive HPV Shot, CDC Says
- Cervical Cancer Vaccine Doesn't Boost Clot Risk: Study
- Two-Thirds of U.S. Adults May Carry HPV
- HPV-Linked Oral Cancers May Not Be 'Contagious'
- Could the HPV Test Replace the Pap Test?
- HPV-Linked Throat Cancer May Have Telltale First Symptoms
- FDA Panel Recommends HPV Test As Replacement for Pap Smear
- Study Adds to Evidence That HPV Vaccine Helps Guard Against Cervical Cancer
- Partial HPV Vaccine Series May Help Prevent Genital Warts in Girls
- President's Panel Calls for More Girls, Boys to Get HPV Vaccine
- HPV Vaccination Rates Might Rise If More Docs Recommended It
- Many Young Americans Know Little About Cervical Cancer Vaccine
- Why Many U.S. Preteens Aren't Getting the HPV Shot
- Screening for HPV May Be Better Than Pap Test, Study Suggests
- Single Dose of HPV Vaccine May Be Enough to Guard Against Cervical Cancer
- HPV Vaccines May Be Less Effective for Black Women: Study
- Researchers Tie Increased Throat Cancer Cases to HPV Infection
- HPV Vaccination Rates Among Teens Still Lagging: CDC
- Poor Oral Hygiene Tied to Cancer-Linked Virus, Study Finds
- Too Few Girls Getting HPV Vaccine: CDC
- HPV May Also Raise Risk of Throat Cancer
- Single Men Show Higher Risk of Cancer-Linked Oral HPV
- HPV Vaccine Might Shield Women Against Throat Cancer: Study
- U.K. Experts Urge HPV Vaccine for Young Gay Men
- Many Docs Don't Follow HPV/Pap Test Guidelines: Study
- HPV Vaccine Lowering Infection Rates Among Girls: CDC
- Michael Douglas Blames His Throat Cancer on Oral Sex
- Girls May Need Fewer Gardasil Shots, Study Suggests
- Kids More Likely to Pick Up Warts at Home, Not Public Spaces
- HPV Vaccination Sends Genital Wart Cases Plummeting: Study
- Study Hints of Links Between HPV and Lung Cancer
- Parents' Worries About HPV Vaccine on the Rise: Study
- Some HPV-Linked Cancers Rising in U.S.: Report
- Clearing Up the Confusion on When to Get a Pap Test
- For One Woman, HPV Vaccine Was a 'No-Brainer'
- 'Hidden' HPV May Reactivate in Older Women, Study Suggests
- HPV Vaccine Not Linked to Promiscuity in Girls
- Experimental Vaccine Might Help Women Already Infected With HPV
- HPV Vaccine Found Safe in Large Study
- Too Few Girls Get HPV Vaccine Against Cancer: CDC
- Health Reform: No-Cost Contraception Starts Today
- Shots Should Be on College Kids' Back-to-School List
- HPV Test Beats Pap Long-Term: Study
- HPV Might Raise Risk of Form of Skin Cancer
- HPV Vaccine Reducing Infections, Even Among Unvaccinated: Study
- Gum Disease, HPV May Play Role in Head and Neck Cancers
- Infection Causes 1 in 6 Cancers Worldwide: Study
- HPV Cancer Hits 8,000 Men, 18,000 Women a Year
- HPV-Related Head, Neck Cancers on the Rise
- Preteens More Likely to Report HPV Vaccine Side Effects
- HPV Vaccine May Help Women With Cervical Conditions
- Pediatricians Renew Call for HPV Vaccine for Boys
- Women Can Take Steps to Prevent Cervical Cancer
- HPV Test Beats Pap Test for Cervical Cancer Screening
- Study: HPV Vaccine Doesn't Encourage Risky Sexual Activity
- More Teens Getting Vaccines Against HPV, Other Infections: CDC
- Home-Based Test Can Detect Cervical Cancer Virus: Study
- Males 11-21 Should Get Gardasil HPV Vaccine
- Girls More Likely to Get HPV Vaccine When Doctors Recommend It
- Guidelines Suggest Less Frequent Screening for Cervical Cancer
- HPV-Linked Oral Cancers on the Rise, Study Finds
- Vaccines for Teens: Still Room for Improvement
- Many Doctors Ignore Guidelines, Order Annual Pap Test
- No More Co-pay for Birth Control
- Can HPV Vaccine Stop Throat Cancer?
- HPV Vaccine: Early Evidence of Impact
- FDA Approves New HPV Test
- Late Doses of HPV Vaccine May Still Be Effective
- Half of Men Have Genital HPV
- Simple Steps to Prevent Common Cancers
- HPV Shot Prevents Genital Warts in Boys and Men
- Michael Douglas: Throat Cancer Survivor
- Male Circumcision Cuts Women's Cervical Cancer Risk
- Gardasil Approved for Anal Cancer Prevention
- Gardasil HPV Vaccine Stopping Genital Warts
- HPV Vaccine: Cost-effective Way to Prevent Anal Cancer
- Michael Douglas and Throat Cancer FAQ
- New Insurance Rules: Free Preventive Health Care
- HPV Viruses Linked to Skin Cancer
- Most Young Adults: Oral Sex Is Not Sex
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter