Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). Symptoms of genital herpes include painful blisters and often fever, body aches, and swollen lymph nodes for first time infection. Genital herpes is diagnosed with lab tests to test for the presence of the virus. Treatment for genital herpes includes antiviral medications to shorten the duration of the outbreak or reduce the risk of future outbreaks. There is no cure for genital herpes. Condoms may help prevent the spread of genital herpes. Read more: Genital Herpes in Women (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Is It Contagious? What Diseases Are Contagious?
Is it contagious? Take this quiz to learn about contagious diseases, how contagious diseases are spread, and myths and facts...
Genital Herpes Quiz: What is Genital Herpes?
What is genital herpes? Learn the causes, symptoms in men and women, and treatments for this common sexually transmitted skin...
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Picture of Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2
A herpes virus that causes genital herpes, which is characterized by sores in the genital area. See a picture of Herpes Simplex...
Picture of Vagina
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a soft, flexible lining that provides lubrication and sensation. See a picture of...
12 Preventable STDs: Pictures, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
Sexually transmitted infections like chlamydia and genital herpes are common STDs. Think you might have an STD? You’re not alone....
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Related Disease Conditions
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) causes HIV infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). Symptoms and signs...
Genital Warts (HPV) Infection in Women
Genital warts is a sexually transmitted infection (STI, STD) caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). It is the most common STD...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Bell's Palsy (Facial Nerve Problems) Paralysis Causes and Treatments
Bell's palsy is one type of facial nerve paralysis. The 7th cranial nerve controls the muscles of the face, and although...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Cold Sores (Nongenital Herpes Simplex Infections)
Herpes simplex infections are common and when they appear around the mouth and lips, people often refer to them as "cold sores"...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)
Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection...
Narcolepsy (Definition, Symptoms, Treatment, Medication)
Causes of narcolepsy, a chronic disease of the central nervous system, have not been fully determined. Some theories include...
Enjoying a satisfying sex life as we age is important to both physical and mental health. As we age, diseases and conditions may...
Vaginitis (Inflammation of the Vagina)
Vaginitis refers to inflammation of the vagina. Vaginitis can be caused by infections, menopause, or poor hygiene. Symptoms of...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Herpes Viral Infections of the Eye
Herpes of the eye occurs due to herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1). Symptoms of herpes of the eye include pain in and around the eye,...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Glands): Pictures, Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
AIDS is the advanced stage of HIV infection. Symptoms and signs of AIDS include pneumonia due to Pneumocystis jiroveci,...
Are Skin Rashes Contagious?
Direct and indirect contact can spread some types of rashes from person to person. Rash treatment depends upon a rash's...
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- STD FAQs
- Genital Herpes FAQs
- Contagious FAQs
- Neonatal Sepsis (Sepsis Neonatorum)
- How Long After You Get Herpes Do You See an Outbreak?
- Can a Man Pass on Herpes Without Symptoms?
- Does Circumcision Prevent HIV and AIDS?
- Is Herpes During Pregnancy Dangerous to the Baby?
- Genital Herpes Treatment
- Genital Herpes Symptoms and Signs
- Ask The Experts: Women's Health
Medications & Supplements
- acyclovir ointment - topical, Zovirax
- acyclovir cream - topical, Zovirax
- valacyclovir - oral, Valtrex
- acyclovir - injection, Zovirax
- acyclovir - oral, Zovirax
- famciclovir, Famvir
- acyclovir, Zovirax
- Valtrex (valacyclovir)
- penciclovir cream - topical, Denavir
- Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis)
- foscarnet sodium - injection, Foscavir
- Sage (Salvia officinalis, Sage Leaf, Common Sage, Garden Sage, Black Sage)
- trifluridine drops - ophthalmic, Viroptic
Prevention & Wellness
- Herpes Viruses Can Reactivate In Astronauts While in Space: Study
- Health Screenings Every Woman Needs
- Could Herpes Virus Help Cause Alzheimer's?
- Could Herpes Virus Play a Role in Alzheimer's?
- Fewer Americans Are Getting Herpes
- Vaginal Bacteria May Affect Herpes and Zika Transmission
- Genital Herpes Vaccine Shows Promise in Animal Trials
- Routine Testing for Genital Herpes of Little Benefit: U.S. Experts
- Injections Might Help Prevent Genital Herpes Transmission for Months: Study
- Task Force: Routine Genital Herpes Screening Not Recommended
- Experimental Genital Herpes Drug Shows Promise
- Experimental Gel Could Prevent Genital Herpes Infection
- Herpes Virus Tied to Angina Risk, Study Suggests
- Herpes Drug Might Help Control Spread of HIV, Too
- Genital Herpes Vaccine Shows Promise in Mouse Study
- Health Tip: Have Your Child's Eyes Checked
- HIV Prevention Drug Truvada Might Lower Genital Herpes Risk, Too
- Experimental Drug Shows Promise for Genital Herpes Treatment
- U.S. Teens More Vulnerable to Genital Herpes, Study Suggests
- Immune Cell Discovery May One Day Lead to Herpes Vaccine: Study
- Could Herpes Virus Affect Memory in Older Adults?
- New Vaccine Strategy May Fight Genital Herpes, Mouse Study Suggests
- Herpes Drugs Don't Stop Herpes Spread
- Hopeful Genital Herpes Vaccine Misses the Mark
- Genital Herpes' Silent Spread
- Herpes Drugs May Be Safe in Early Pregnancy
- Vaginal Gel May Prevent HIV
- Most Young Adults: Oral Sex Is Not Sex
- CDC: Genital Herpes Rates Still High
- Genital Herpes' Reactivation Better Understood
- Genital Herpes May Never Go Dormant
- Half a Billion Have Genital Herpes Virus
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter