Patient Comments: GERD - Diet

What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Alembicdonj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

With gingivitis, I first had a sore on my tongue. Later, I experienced pains and weakness from my gums. Eventually, I found out that parts of my gums are loose and don't support my teeth, while others are swollen and reddened. Blood easily flows out with the least disturbance. I'm still struggling with it.

Comment from: Remus, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

Thirty years ago I had duodenal ulcer for over 7 years. Tagamet and every known antacid did not help. I healed when stopped taking them. I learned later that too little acid was the cause! Now GERD is posing similar problems including ear infections. Adding 1 capful apple cider vinegar to small early meals definitely relieves heartburn. I chew ginger to salivate. For cough, I take honey with crushed garlic or onion and occasionally spray throat with diluted clove oil [1 drop to half pint water]. I have raised bedhead at least 12 inches, sleep on my left side etc. I try and relax.

Comment from: TjRjn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I injured my rotator cuff whilst working in the dive industry. We had many novice divers all needing their weight belts, (typically 6 to 8 kg) put on and taken off. We also needed to collect them regularly where they were dropped in the water, sometimes 3 to 4 belts at a time, many times per day for weeks.

Comment from: Marlene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I have had daily heartburn for several years. I have tried everything, including proton pump inhibitors. I don't want to take a medication every day forever. Tums causes a rebound effect for me. It's been very worrisome and frustrating. Quite by accident, I've found two natural foods that have taken away heartburn! I bought some snack foods, hazelnuts and dried pineapple were two of the things I bought. After two days I astonishingly noticed I did not have heartburn! I started an elimination study to discover the cause. I learned it was hazelnuts and the dried pineapple, either one alone or both together. It is a miracle for me. I just wanted to share in case it might be helpful for someone else.

Comment from: Kate D, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

Six weeks ago I fractured my right foot fifth metatarsal. The foot already has a titanium screw in it due to a previous severe Jones fracture that healed well. Luckily, this break was not a Jones fracture and I was given a boot to wear. No surgery! I am going back to the doctor tomorrow for x-ray to see how I am healing. I expect to wear the boot for another week or two. Pain and burning sensation present in foot still pretty intense. I had excruciating nauseating pain when first fractured. Not sure when the pain will abate. I can't take ibuprofen as it exacerbates my asthma and also causes stomach upset. I am currently taking half of a 5 mg hydrocodone in the morning and usually the other half late afternoon and take no other pain medicine throughout the day, foot seems to hurt more at night. I am wondering if my pain level is normal. I am concerned my foot still hurts as much as it does. Thanks for sharing your experiences and good luck to all.

Comment from: Debo, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

I got stung by a catfish on my back.

Comment from: concerned, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My menopause is over since 10 years ago, I am still getting terrible night sweats. I have no other symptoms. I wonder how long these sweats can last.

Comment from: shivani k., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

We only need to maintain cleanliness around ourselves. The dengue is never spread because mosquitos develop only in dirty places, so maintaining cleanliness we can prevent dengue.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

My first costochondritis attack was when I was 14, I got kicked in the chest by a horse. It was long (approximately 2 weeks) before I started to have chest pains. At the time my mom and dad thought I was just trying to get attention because I was the 4th child out of 5. Years went by, and my nephew (my sister's boy) started having attacks in high school (16). They did all kinds of tests, and after all these years my parents realized there was something going on. I was very athletic in high school as my nephew was. I learned how to live with it every day; some attacks are worse than others. The only fear I have is I will have a heart attack and pass it off as one of these and heart disease runs in both sides of my family. I hope I never have to find out. I had a little attack today and my co-workers pretty much freaked. The worse is when I wait for days off before going to the doctor and all he can do is give my hydrocodone and I hate that medicine, makes me feel drunk all the time. Thank goodness it has been a couple of years now that I had to take something for it. My leg does not work well and my left arm might as well be amputated on some of these attacks.

Comment from: gerdified, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Chewing gum while experiencing heartburns helps me a lot. it does help when you feel acid up your throat, because it increases saliva that helps in the flow in your esophagus, thus, acid is washed off, thereby causing decrease in heartburns.

Comment from: Sandy S, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have suffered many years with acid reflux and discovered recently that along with not eating a huge meal in the evening, I will eat an apple before going to bed. I don't know why but it keeps me from having any reflux. It also helps to eat an apple if you are suffering from an episode of reflux.

Comment from: UCgal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have had acid reflux for over 20 years now. I have had my gallbladder removed and it was not successful. I have been on Prilosec, Prevacid and Dexilant again. I take digestive enzymes and probiotics which help a lot. I was only on 15 mg of Prevacid OTC when I recently got another flare up of acid reflux; horrible. So now I'm back on Dexilant for 4 weeks and follow a diet. It does help if you watch what you eat, do things in moderation, meaning the things you love, and exercise. My flare up of GERD is due to my not following my diet.

Comment from: Ollie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

Was just released from hospital after 3 days. Went to ER for severe/acute upper abdominal pain and vomiting. Had all kinds of tests and finally on 3rd day was told I had GERD, ekg great, x-rays clear, ultrasound for gall bladder negative. It is hard to believe that because of GERD I ended up in ER and was given morphine for the pain. Has anyone ever experienced this kind of pain associated with GERD.

Comment from: lewlew, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had the symptoms of GERD for years for as long as I can remember. My physician had just always given me a heartburn pill and called it a day. My pain and symptoms have gotten unbearable and to the point where it's somewhat controlling how I interact throughout my daily routine. After researching this site and realizing that there is and can be a major issue going on with me I have to admit that I feel a lot better by just knowing about GERD. Now all I have to do is find a different physician and follow up!

Comment from: nareflux, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am happy to know that I am not alone. I cry every day because of GERD. I took the H. pylori test and my doctor told me I will deal with Halitosis permanently. I never knew GERD had such an effect on a person's health. My currently have pain in my right ear and lymph nodes on the right side of my neck. I request that my doctor do the fundoplication surgery but he refuse. I fell that no person should have to deal with this. I currently deal with the co-worker and my boss treating my so coldly. I'm just praying to get fired so I can focus on getting my help in order. I am tired of crying over something I cannot fix.

Published: February 09

I suffer from Gerd and heartburn and I also have a hiatal hernia. Sometime I wake with a burning in my chest and nausea in the morning. What has helps me is taking Zypan by standard process you get it at a health food store. I also take acidophilus chewable this has help me better than other prescription drugs such as zantac and protonix. I have been to doctor. Now I don't have any problems with heartburn or feeling sick to my stomach.

Comment from: Heather, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have gone to my family Dr. and feel she does not fully understand what I am saying, believing that my systems are on in my "head". Very upsetting. I have, in the morning, a draining that last about an hours, constant clearing of the throat, draining, spitting thick clear mucus and blowing my nose with same thick clear "spit". I use a nose wash, which helps little. During the day, if I drink pop, or acidy drinks, eat tomatoes it gets worse. Water seems to help. But at least 3 or more times a day, I am clearing my throat, trying to swallow. I always feel like there is a knot in my throat, and I am being choked. Please help me. I know I am NOT making this up, where do I go for answers and validation.

Comment from: jane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

Diagnosed with GERD and Barrett's Esophagus and ulcers via Endoscopy 1 month ago. Am taking prilosec. Stunned, although I suspected ulcers, I have stopped drinking coffee, wine and all of the other things on the list. Frankly, I hardly know what to eat anymore. I don't have heartburn, but do have throat pain and hoarseness a lot, in spite of 5 weeks on Prilosec. I am not overweight, exercise everyday, don't smoke and have always eaten a low fat diet. I am sleeping with a slanted pillow. I have gone to a Esophageal Center for another opinion. They want to repeat endoscopy, do ph monitoring, bsrium swallow etc. Am reading everything I can find, but given a pretty healthy lifestyle, I wonder how much more I can do.

Comment from: andre, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

Hi am a 26 year old male having a chronic problem with breathing since I was 16. It first started out as I woke up and went to basketball practice, when I started running I noticed I was getting short of breath like I was a heavy smoker or something. Then came fatigue I was tired every day and that's how it is every day for the last 10 years always tired and always shortness of breath. The worst time of the day is always morning if I feel little better at night in morning it all disappears and it is bad like before. Also I wake up earlier many times because I need to pee often. It's like I have some kind of pressure in my diaphragm area which doesn't let me breathe in fully. I made lots of examinations when I made my first x-ray I was diagnosed with a hernia and then when I did my next x-ray there was no hernia which confused me even more. I did also swallowing of that tube and it showed lots of acidity the doctor even asked me if I was eating something that morning because it was acidic or something while I haven't eaten for 12 hours. I have taken controloc for a month and it didn't help me, I also took lansoprasole for a month and it didn't help me either. I was also tested for pylori which was negative. The most frustrating part about this is that I am tired every day and short of breath and it sometimes is a little better in morning then it is all back to square one. Tired and feeling of pressure abdomen and short of breath and it's like that throughout the whole day so it's not an attack of some kind.

Comment from: Simba, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I found out today that I have antibodies for herpes 1 (oral). No cold sores. However, symptoms have been white tongue, and awful mouth odor. I continue to have vaginal odor itching, burning sensation, however, test results negative for vaginal herpes. I'm 65 years old.

Comment from: sona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have been suffering of GERD for more than 20 years. a year ago I saw a gastro enteric specialist and he advised me to raise the head of my bed about 4 inches and prescribed anti-acidity medication. I feel better, but I still have it occasionally. It started when I was in high school and stress makes it worse and one time I had a severe pain that made the doctor to give me strong medicine for pain.

Comment from: Kat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Chocolate is my GERD enemy and lately ice cream seems to be a problem, so much so that I awake with an urgent need to vomit. The last couple of times I noticed small red dots on my face the next morning. I have stopped eating both of these foods but am curious if the severity of the vomiting caused the red dots. It's tough having to give up my favorite foods... I have long since gave up spicy food for dinner.

Comment from: elvin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

About two years ago I first experience this kind of stomachache with heartburn. There's nothing I can do but wait for a few hours because no medicine can keep it away. It seldom happens – like every two or three months. But lately, it attacks me like every month. My parents advised me to see a doctor because whenever I have this stomachache I look like I'm dying. It really hurts. I visited a doctor and was prescribed the medicine for acid reflux. She said to take it 30 minutes before meal for two weeks. I thought it will never go back. It's my fault because I did not change my eating habits. Now when I feel like it will attack me again, I will eat something and it's fine. I don't drink soft drinks and juice any more – only water. I eat an apple every day.

Comment from: Happy, Published: January 10

I too was just diagnoiced with GERD. I went to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack. The EKG test came back negative, the chest x-ray also came out negative. I even had a stress test and it also came back negative. I am relieved. Now I need to focus on what not to eat or drink. I am also taking medication to prevent another occurrence.

Comment from: Michelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I just got back from the hospital, I took an ambulance ride. I thought I was having a heart attack. My chest feels like someone hit it with a sledgehammer and it went straight through to my back. The diagnosis was GERD. I have smoked for 32 years but I had no idea that it would worsen the symptoms. I am going to have to change everything about my diet and lifestyle. No more coffee (ouch), sodas, or any caffeine at all. I have to be careful not to eat huge meals and never lie down after a meal (guilty pleasure). And I have to quit smoking. But, this pain is horrible so I guess I will do it!

Comment from: healthynow, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 27

My heartburn became chronic about ten years ago and I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and initially required prescription drugs to bring it under control. These are the things I find help me avoid heartburn. Do not eat anything for at least three hours before sleeping and preferably four or five hours. Do not eat very fatty, very rich or hot spicy food. Drink water with and after your meal. Eat meals that satisfy without feeling stuffed. Chew sugarfree gum. Try and lose some weight. Find ways to avoid or reduce your level of stress. Try and pay attention to your posture sitting and standing.

Comment from: Lima62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I've suffered with reflux for several years. With the last 12 months chronic GERD,I have to sleep upright, stomach continually gurgling & squelching, with that awful cold fire burning feeling,& burping like crazy. Currently on 2 40mg Nexium daily which works minimally. I have been gluten free the last 4-5 weeks and dairy/caffeine/soy free for 4 days now. I slept on my side last night for the first time in 12 months. I am cautiously optimistic. One thing I didn't realize is that soy has gluten,so now I've stopped that as well. Apparently you can develop a food intolerance(usually dairy or gluten) due to a 'dietary upset'. How many of those have you had? It's worth a try.

Comment from: TipsandTricks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Hello everyone, I know we are all on here to find a magic cure. I wish it was that easy. I've been fighting with GERD for about 8 years and nothing was helping. I've been on and off of various prescriptions, and changed my diet around. This is what I have had the best results with: -as far as prescriptions go; Prevacid was great for a bit but my symptoms came back depending on my diet; Tecta is what I am currently on and it is by far the best medicine I have tried, for once in my life I can eat a meal and not feel burning pain to the point where I want to cry and vomit all at the same time.. -exercise -diet; this was the trickiest part because everyone kept giving me "advice"; eventually I followed my gut and this is what is working for me- no coffee, stay away from caffeinated tea, no pop or carbonated water, no apple juice, no orange juice, soy milk is good for you, I don't drink regular milk, no spicy food, nothing too salty, nothing sour, sweets like chocolate are okay in moderation, surprisingly pickles are great because they help balance out the acids in your stomach, water with freshly squeezed lemon in it with no sugar is also great to try and help your body regulate the acidity levels.. Good luck!

Comment from: lllaro , 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

With my GERD, I get a burning feeling in my throat, especially if I eat something spicy.

Comment from: jlj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have suffered from GERD for years and didn't know that was what I had. I assumed the coughing came from allergies to some unknown substance. Its genesis was in gluten intolerance and I quit eating things with wheat in them about five years ago. The GERD was too far advanced and did not go away. I currently take 4-5 Prilosec a day and am working on losing weight since the surgery is more successful when one weighs less. I have chronic sinusitis and have had bronchitis from all the coughing.

Comment from: saffire, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have eliminated diet sodas, which I was drinking 64 ounces of every day. I have quit smoking for more than four months. I have started exercising more, and I'm trying to drop 20 pounds. I went to see the doctor and got a prescription for GERD.

Comment from: Paige, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I've reduced my caloric intake, reduced the fats and acids I intake, and I try to avoid LES-relaxing food. I've elevated the head of my bed, I don't eat anything 4-5 hours before bed, and I drink aloe Vera juice when it gets really bad. Even though I'm under healthy weight, have never smoked, and detest alcohol - GERD still is a huge part of my life. It's been a couple of years since I last woke up without feeling like there's a brick in my chest and a lump in my throat.

Comment from: peter, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I have suffered from acid reflux for the last two years, I have been on antacids and ppi's (nexium) with no results. What worries me so much is the bad odor from the mouth and nose when simply breathing, it's so embarrassing.Please help with ideas of getting rid of this problem.

Comment from: emereness, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had my gall bladder out a year ago Sept. At first I was fine then started having heart burn and gas. My doctor put me on protonix , once daily, poeosid in the evening and a questran daily to help regulate me. This seemed to work and after a few months I was off this. Then just 5 months ago the symptoms returned. I again was put on the same medication, and once again it worked. Once again I was off it and continued the questran and pepsid (as needed). The symptoms have returned and I am on the medicine but now I have itching (terrible), gas, heartburn and bloating. What could be causing this? I went to the doctors last week and they took blood test and I go back on the 4th of January but I am worried.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

After nearly 35 years of GERD, a homeopathic dr told me I not only had wheat gluten intolerance, but also soy gluten intolerance, leaving soy alone, (like all the non dairy coffee creamers, etc) had dramatically improved my health. Only have GERD now when I eat store bought bread, cookies, and too many tomatoes.

Comment from: james, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

Home brewed Kambucha tea!!! I started drinking 3-4 oz. twice a day. Haven't had a symptom return since. 7 months now. It's all natural and cheaper than any other reflux medication if you brew it yourself.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I'm sorry for all of you who share this condition with me. For those of you who say you've been trying to get rid of your GERD, unless you get the surgery, you'll have it for your whole life. I've had acid reflex since I was seven and have recently been diagnosed with GERD and I'm only sixteen years old. I've even had a stomach ulcer thanks to stress and my acid reflux acting up because of it. I grew very sick back in December last year and couldn't keep food down and refused to eat, because if I did, it felt like my stomach was on fire. It grew to the point that I lost seven pounds three weeks of this going on before one night I just burst into tears because I was thirsty and had taken a sip of water only for my stomach to feel like someone had dropped a match in it. The doctor didn't do anything immediately, they merely did an ultrasound and gave me some sort of numbing concoction. It continued, minus the burning, for months afterward. In March, I met a gastrologist who told me I could have two possible things. H. Pylori, which one of my relatives has and causes gastritis, or GERD. I got an endoscopy the following week and found out that my acid reflex had worsened into GERD. I'm on one of the pills they give to help keep my food down, but a lot of the time, I still feel weak and fatigued. Just walking my yorkie around the street leaves me breathless some days. I'm not telling you this for sympathy, merely for anyone who reads this to know that you aren't alone.

Comment from: Jess2783, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I am 27 year old female I have been trying to get rid of GERD forever I lost about three pounds since I got sick last week! I tried eating and sleeping nothing worked out for me I went to the doctors and she said I have a major problem and is life threatening! I called the GI Specialist and scheduled and appointment. They are going to give me a GI surgery to correct the problem I had this for about three years now or as long as I can remember! I have a six year old daughter and it's hard to have fun with her when I feel sick all of the time! There's pretty not much you could do and at the moment. I take that OTC stuff I take two gel caps everyday but, got sick last week I threw up bile and it ruined my throat so bad I could not talk. This was for three days! I hope the surgery works and do not waste any more money on prescription med's!

Comment from: Aida, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have taken Nexium 40 mg for 1 1/2 month, a total of 42 tablets but unfortunately my GERD was not healed.

Comment from: mdh56, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

Gluten was the cause of my acid reflux. After suffering for years and taking prescription anti acids, I read that gluten can be a cause. Within 2 weeks after cutting gluten out of my diet, all of my symptoms went away.

Published: February 07

The GERD has produced another problem (uncontrolled) hiccups lasting weeks sometimes over a month none stop. Saw a Neurologist and he gave me anti-seizure medication which did not help, only made me feel sleepy all the time. I take nexium for my reflux.

Comment from: Anne, 45-54 Female Published: February 03

I am taking Nexium 30mg 1 per day but I still have pain in my chest especially on the left upper side which makes me wonder if I'm having heart problems. The doctor has said that there is nothing wrong with my heart other than I am way overweight by about 130lbs or so.

Comment from: birdcrazy624, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I eat smaller meals that are low in fat. I sit upright 2 hours after I eat. I limit my caffeine, and soda intake. I take a proton pump inhibitor daily, and antacids as needed.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter