Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: brandon7, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I was having heartburn, belching and pain on my right side and chest after eating, for over a month. My doctor did an ultrasound thinking it was gallstones. Results came back negative. He put me on once a day Prilosec but it wasn't helping. I tried Prevacid and it made me feel bloated and gassy but I was still in pain. My doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist and he immediately put me on twice a day pantoprazole and sent me to have an endoscopy two weeks later. Twice a day pantoprazole helped quite a bit but I still felt pain. After the endoscopy, he said I had possible Barrett's esophagus but the pathology report came back negative for Barrett's a week later (thank goodness). I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and mild gastritis. The 2 times a day pantoprazole was making me feel awful, bloated and gassy and constipated but was helping my pain. I switched to Nexium and immediately felt much better (reduced pain and no gas or bloating). I also purchased a sleeping wedge and it greatly helped my symptoms. I am now down to one Nexium per day and 99 percent pain free. I would say to try several proton pump inhibitors to see what works best. I tried Prilosec, Prevacid, pantoprazole and finally Nexium. Also, consider a sleeping wedge, it also seemed to greatly help. I no longer wake at night with pain and when I get up in the morning I don't feel anything. I also now watch my diet better (no coffee or chocolate or spicy foods) and don't seem to have problems. I was worried I might need surgery but my gastroenterologist kept telling me not to do it and he was confident he could help me get back to feeling good again. It has taken a couple months but I'm not feeling like I'm back to my old self.

Comment from: Hopeful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have just been diagnosed with GERD after I started having hoarseness in my voice. Doctor has prescribed medication for me which I am currently taking. However the hoarseness hasn't gone away completely. I am taking omeprazole, clarithromycin and ranitidine tablets for now.

Comment from: here to help, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I recently had an upper endoscopy done. I was having things get stuck in throat; hard to swallow my own spit (sorry), even water, hiccups, and my throat felt swollen. I felt full all the time and nauseated. I was found to have candida (yeast or thrush). The doctor took biopsy. Plus, I had so much fat sitting in my stomach that wasn"t digested, he suctioned it out. I did have a scope last year. I don"t think it was called an endoscopy. I have GERD, hernia, and gastroparesis which is slow emptying of stomach by 50%. You needed to eat a radioactive egg to see how fast you digest food; it"s also good to see how you digest medications. This can be a big problem if food is sitting in your stomach longer than it should. It could cause problems from your throat to your colon. I know because I now need a colon resection and have outer rectal prolapse at age 42. I need part of stomach removed and looking at esophagus surgery. I do hope this message helps at least one person out there. I found a great internal medicine doctor, bless his heart.

Comment from: artchick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

For past two years I have been getting extensive blood work, CAT scans etc., to try to find answers for another medical problem they can"t explain why. But searching I was just diagnosed about 8 months ago with GERD and a small hiatal hernia. I have never suffered from heartburn. I changed my diet stopped sodas and fast food two years ago and started with omeprazole about 8 months ago. Everything was fine until I had an attack for eating something spicy in December and I ended up in the emergency room. Nothing works. I just started Nexium will see how that works. I tried the apple cider vinegar with water and honey which made it worse. I get bad sinus tension headaches as result too.

Published: June 23

I was diagnosed five years ago with GERD and hiatal hernia. I've been treated with PPIs during this time, with little success. Having made all the lifestyle changes to diet, sleep habits, etc., and still no significant relief, I also developed symptoms of LPR -- trouble swallowing, lump in the throat, and hoarseness. My treating GI and a speech therapist counseled me and the GI upped my PPI dosage. Now, the LPR is only occasional, but the reflux symptoms at night have become chronic, even though I've eliminated all coffee and chocolate at night and do not eat after 6 pm. Recent tests show only low average acid levels and NO hiatal hernia. What's going on? A head and neck surgical specialist has recommended a throat biopsy to look for non-acidic reflux.

Comment from: sonja2530, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

Since the recent news of pump inhibitors having many serious side effects, I wonder if anyone had any good results using an alternative. I've been on Aciphex for years and now, and, of course, want to use something else to ease my chronic gastritis.

Published: May 30

About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with a large hiatal hernia after being hospitalized with dehydration because I couldn't keep anything in my stomach. When I recovered everything was fine with some occasional heartburn. The about 3-4 years ago I developed a chronic cough which I thought was due to post-nasal drip -- however the ENT doctor could find nothing with the sinuses, so when I told him of the hiatal hernia, be had me try Nexium. After two weeks, the cough was gone. He told me to try coming off the Nexium after about 8 weeks. I did and within 2 months the cough was back bad as ever. I went back on the Nexium, but this time it took about 1-1/2 months before it seemed to work. It's now usually enough to take Nexium in the morning 1/2 hour before meals - however, whenever I get a cold or allergy symptoms, it seems to aggravate the the ARD again and I'm coughing long after the cold is gone. Sometimes the addition of Gavison to my day starting with Nexium helps until the rekindled ARD is under control again. Sometimes it doesn't work - like now. I think I will try the gum chewing route/the ginger and see if that works.

Published: May 29

I have been taking Zegerid for the past four months. I also have recently finished treatment for H. pylori. I have noticed less stomach pain and less vomiting/nausea since beginning treatment. The frequency of belching after meals has decreased, but I am still affected by certain foods. The abdominal gas has increased and is accompanied by alternating diarrhea and constipation.

Published: June 23

I used Prilosec for about six months. My symptoms immediately improved; I was instructed to discontinue use. I was symptom-free for about three months, but then I began using Prilosec again for about 12 months with mixed results. I experienced painful nighttime heartburn episodes, which hadn't occurred in the past. I discontinued Prilosec and started 600 mg of Zantac, per my doctor. I've been on that for three years but am now experiencing hair loss, low libido, and profuse sweating.

Published: June 23

I have been suffering from these problems for years. I have had all of the tests and the only thing that has shown up is a hiatal hernia. I have tried Protonix, Aciphex, Nexium and Zegerid. None have relieved the problem. Stress seems to set the really bad episodes into motion; although I seem to have at least one episode a week anyhow. The doctor just put me on Pepcid twice a day and it is having no effect. I am chewing Maalox continuously and trying to decide when to call her back. Sleeping is very difficult and requires a slanted pillow. Even still I wake up most nights nauseous and with dull pain in the middle of my stomach. I'm trying to change my diet as I know I drink too many diet sodas with caffeine. Maybe that will help.

Published: June 18

Even with treatment of Pepcid Complete and Nexium, I still have uncomfortable burning in my throat. It's bright red and very sore.

Published: June 16

I take Nexium every day sometimes twice a day plus Zantac but nothing seems to work for the discomfort I feel every day even if I don't eat. I have a kind of soreness between the breasts where my hernia is and it sometimes shoots up my chest. I don't know what else to do for this but it is very annoying. Also the bottom of my throat burns 24/7.

Published: June 11

I also had acid reflux until I started doing the vinegar and honey treatment. Apple cider vinegar diluted with a little water and honey, enough to make it taste good, a couple of tablespoons when needed has cured my reflux. Apples help too; the stomach needs this acid and some how it cleared up my problem.

Published: June 11

I have taken all of the medications listed. I am currently on Nexium, Pepcid, and Reglan. I also have a wedge on my bed to help with incline. I still have trouble with acid reflux and the feeling in my throat like something is stuck. I have had two endoscopies and they say everything looks okay. I can't eat past 7pm or it is worse. I am miserable and with all this there is still not much relief. When I swallow it feels like something is in my throat.

Published: June 11

I was diagnosed will GERD 8 years ago. I try to stay away from caffeine, chocolate, peppermint and spicy food. All the foods that I like. Lately I've been experiencing coughing spells. I've been taking cough medicine w/codeine since a bad episode of bronchitis a few months ago. The cough syrup helps but I don't recommend taking it for long periods. I have also tried taking an over the counter digestive pill called Zypan. Usually 1-2 pills after a meal if needed. It seems to do the trick and it's not medication. I believe it is a food enzyme. Carbonated drinks, such as cola creates a real problem. If you can avoid them or have occasionally with the Zypan the problems should subside.

Published: June 09

I've been on three different proton pump inhibitors - i.e.: Prilosec, Aciphex and Prevacid. I am still having symptoms of nausea, cough and vomiting. It there is any other help out there I would appreciate hearing.

Published: June 09

I have been in hospital twice for reflux and taking all medication, but to date I'm still having to much acid build up as I have problems swallowing.

Published: June 09

I still have chest pain and bad heartburn I'm taking 40mg in the morning and 20mg at night of Omeprazole.

Published: June 06

My husband has been having a lot of pain recently with this. He has used Prilosec and Prevacid without much success. Nexium helps, but the costs are prohibitive. He is now taking Prevacid and sucralfate and still having the pain. We're both very frustrated - he is becoming very anxious - given up coffee, chocolate, is nervous about anything he eats. I know he's scared of a pre-cancer and, typically, hates to keep bothering his doctor, etc.

Published: June 03

I have been treated for GERD for over 5 yrs. This was even though no diagnostic tests really gave a positive diagnosis. However my symptoms were becoming more severe even on my usual acid-reducer prescriptions. My major symptom was some indigestion following every meal or even when my stomach was empty. I really had a sever feeling of pure nausea sometimes linked with some indigestion. Never any real burning sensation or heartburn. Mostly nauseated as though I wanted to throw-up and feel better. I have been living with this 24-7. I had gone off of my Nexium since this started. I went to another Gastroenterologist and tests were repeated. Hooray I finally had a real diagnosis of acid-reflux per radiology with my upper Gi. EGD only showed sm hiatal hernia this time but no Barrets Thank God probably because I had been using photonics, acid-reducers for the last 5 yrs. However my Doc doesn't want to prescribe any of these I am to take Zantac, Pepcid whatever and he now prescribed Compazine for the nausea. I am to try this for a month and come back. What is with this? So I am taking over the counter acid-reducers before 2 of my 3 meals because that is max. Allowed and now a nausea pill Q 8 hrs. PRN for nausea. Please help I continue to be nauseated non-stop. This is worse feeling all the time worse than morning sickness yrs ago when I had my 2 children. I do not understand what to do.

Published: June 02

I was diagnosed with GERD two years ago and put on Nexium. Nexium greatly relieved the problem and I went on maintenance (1 Nexium per day). I began to have spells of serious coughing most of the time resulting in regurgitation. The regurgitation did not contain stomach contents, only a thick clear mucus-like substance. My doctor put me back on 2 Nexium per day and it seemed to control the coughing. However, last night, I had the worst spell I've ever had. I ate late and about 10 minutes after eating I began to cough and my mouth repeated filled with mucus and, this time, stomach contents. I took a Nexium when I got home and the symptoms ceased. To battle GERD and obesity, I am scheduled for a lap band procedure...am wondering if I should have the surgery with this recent development for fear of complications.

Published: June 02

I am witnessing my mother (83 years-old) worsen with a regimen of Aciphex and Reglan. She is now in the hospital in a weakened state and the doctor keeps prescribing this to her while her caretakers observe she has deteriorated as a result. Her symptoms: extreme nausea, extreme weakness, and for the first time in the 16 months since being diagnosed with CHF, mother has said she is dying though all her vitals are good. Her GERD symptoms are difficulty swallowing, coughing and increased mucous.

Published: June 02

I have had several conditions that I have been diagnosed with such as gastroparesis, I.B.S, a hiatal hernia, and G.E.R.D the GERD got so bad that I was puking up acid in the middle of the night and my teeth were suffering for it, I tried everything, but nothing seemed to do me justice, finally my gp doc told me about esophageal fundoplication Nissen I decided to get the surgery and it worked very well, I can not throw up any more but that is a good thing, it hurts when I need to but I am glad I did it over all. Some of you should look into the surgery its amazing. It's also called a stomach wrap around the esophagus.

Published: May 29

I was diagnosed with GERD and Barrett's esophagus about 18 months ago. I had a Nissan fundoplication done and I take Protonix daily, but I still have frequent heartburn and a phlegm problem. As much as the heartburn is uncomfortable it is the phlegm that drives me nuts. It gets caught in my neck and throat so bad that you can visible see swelling. No one could even diagnose this until I went to see an acupuncturist. It is the best relief I have gotten. When I go for treatments about every two weeks I can actually feel the phlegm draining from my throat and neck and fell almost 100% better.

Published: May 29

I have been diagnosed with GERD and have been taking antacids when I need to. Taking medication has not brought me long-term relief. Whatever I ate just gave me pain. Fortunately, I came across AloeCure at CVS one month ago and decided to give it a try. I found it worked almost immediately, and I have not felt any side effects so far.

Published: May 22

I have been diagnosed with GERD, after reporting a pain, almost like swelling in my left upper abdominal area, just below the heart. This was approx three years ago. Heart problems have been ruled out. Nexium provided relief for the past couple of years then just wouldn't cut it. I have recently changed doctors and was put on Aciphex, which made things worse. My new Doc recommended an Endoscopic Ultrasound. This would be my 5TH Endoscopy!! This time they believe that the problem is a Hiatal Hernia, along with GERD.

Published: May 22

I felt like I burped more, actually, and the feeling like something was caught in my throat did not go away.

Published: May 21

My 17 year old has been on Prevacid for three instances which helps a little but he still wakes up first in the morning with a very touchy stomach. Anything, smell or water will make him vomit. Taking a Prevacid with water makes him vomit. I have taken my son at least three different times to the doctor on this and we don't get anywhere. It seems they are using very conservative treatments.

Published: May 21

Helpful article. Out of no where about two years ago started having symptoms of ulcer or gallbladder problems--was scoped and ultra-sounded, then when nothing detected, was put on 40 mg of Nexium. Big improvement, but about six months later, had major, heart attack-feeling GERD episode--and then every night after, so I was put on two Nexium a day by my doctor. Again, big improvement, but a couple months ago, started feeling bad again--maybe gastritis? Bloated, painful, coiling digestion, up high in the stomach region. Maybe because I tried to take just a couple ibuprofen? Decided to try alternatives--stopped Nexium three weeks ago (since it didn't seem to be inhibiting any acid), eating REALLY small bland meals (blah), stopped drinking my one cup of tea a day (my only bad food), propped up my head in bed. I'm feeling a little better, but still have hoarseness (had it before stopping Nexium). I can stand to give up foods, but my biggest issue is that I can't take anti-inflammatory medications for my plantar fasciitis and a bad case of tendinitis. This is limiting my normally active lifestyle! And I don't want to continually be upping the dosage of medications.

Published: May 19

Very informative article. I have had a chronic cough for the last 6 years. Doctors thought , asthma (refuted by testing), allergies (refuted by testing), eventually thought of GERD (bronchoscopy / laryngoscopy) and was put on PPi (pantoprazole and metoclopramide) both to no avail. In the end UK NHS did not have the will to take further and suggested a lifetime of Codeine for suppression. I declined as would need to see a doctor every other day to fill a prescription as well as dependency issues. More recently a doctor suggested a PH test to be sure once and for all.

Published: May 19

After several serious surgeries my reflux has gotten so bad that it has gone into my sinuses and ears. I have had nasal polyps removed and suspect that they may have returned. I also have Barrett's esophagus but cannot have treatment at this time due to ongoing gastroenterology problems and a large surgical hernia in the upper abdominal region. I am on Nexium 40 mg bid and Zantac 150.

Published: May 19

I have reflux 24 hours a day. It is worst when I eat carbohydrates. If I eat NO carbohydrates (only eggs, cheese, greens, meat) then I feel pretty good (other than getting very tired of eating the same things). I have tried omeprazole and Protonix and they provide a slight improvement in symptoms of stomach, throat, and tooth pain, but they do not stop the reflux which is my main symptom. In November I had the Plicator procedure performed on me and there was a big improvement, but it was not enough for me. I am probably going to get the Nissen fundoplication. I am often fatigued and depressed from my symptoms.

Published: May 19

The first year that I had symptoms of GERD my doctor ordered Protonix which worked well for me but after using the medication for that period my symptoms seemed to get worse and I noticed when I went off the proton pump inhibitor my symptoms decreased for a few months but then would flare up again and I would start the process over again, now my symptoms are increasing again. I don't know what to do at this point.

Published: May 19

I feel pressure like feeling or lump in throat when I burp or swallow at various times.

Published: May 19

I continue to have chest sensations and shortness of breath after two days of treatment. I went to the ER, they said it was not heart related or lung related. There diagnosis was gerd and anxiety.

Published: May 15

I've tried all Aciphex or Nexium twice a day and Pepcid in between. I still have and uncomfortable feeling in the upper stomach area, it feels like my stomach is in spasm and a terrible permanent sour-bitter taste in my mouth that won't go away, I've tried Reglan (once a day) but it makes me sleepy and I feel dizzy from it. I watch my diet all the time. I've even tried Apple Cider Vinegar for a while and nothing changed. I don't know what to do. Thank you.

Published: May 14

I have had a gastric and food intolerance for a long time and I am under medication Omeprazole 20g per day. But not improvement. I did food allergy test in march, and noticed that i have a lot food intolerance.

Published: May 14

I took Aciphex for gastris last summer, after a couple months of treatment it went away and then in February I began coughing in the morning, sometimes shortly after getting up, other times not until after breakfast. Later in the day meals, or even a VERY small snack will start the coughing and throating clearing. Finished the Aciphex, I had and now starting on Protinex. Only occasional heartburn. Barium swallow showed no aspiration, but a thickening or scarring of the vocal cords. Reducing acid is all well and good but it doesn't stop the reflux. Even a small bend at the waist can prompt a feeling of regurgitation. Haven't had a scope yet but see the doctor again in a couple days and I suspect that is next. My Internet research reveals A LOT of people out there suffering from this and can't get any relief. I'm not overweight, I don't drink alcohol, pop, or coffee. I don't eat spicy or greasy food. ANY kind of food in my stomach no matter how healthy or easy to digest causes reflux. I suspect my original gastris was brought on by stress and the excess acid damaged my sphincter. I've also come to the conclusion that a large meal for some strange reason seems to cause less coughing.

Published: May 13

Approximately nine years ago I was diagnosed with a Gastroparesis like condition and total digestive hypomotility. At this time I was prescribed Domperidone 1/2 hr. before meals and a dose in the a.m. I only had relief when the domperidone was increased. Through time I have been able to reduce the domperidone to one before meals. I also take Lactulose syrup daily to increase the lower intestinal motility. However, about twice a year I have a return of the GERD symptoms which up until recently have been controlled by increase of the Losec to two in the a.m. At these times of flair up I now have to revert to two Domperidone before meals, up to the maximum daily dosage of eight tablets a day.

As I am at maximum dosage of both medications and still have flair ups of GERD symptoms and depending greatly on Gaviscon for some relief.

Published: May 13

PPI's generally help with the heartburn but not the reflux. I consistently have reflux every single night. I rarely have problems during the day. But every morning I wake up with a sour/bitter taste in my mouth and with small chunks of food lodged in my throat. I am also hoarse in the mornings which I suppose is a result of gastric contents refluxing into the larynx. Nothing I have ever taken has helped. I don't know what to do. This has been a problem for about seven years. I am now having trouble breathing and I think it's related to the reflux.

Published: May 13

I was diagnosed with IBS a year ago. Two months ago I was put on medication for high blood pressure and began having episodic shortness of breath, coughing and changed voice. At first the thought was it was the beta blocker or the lisinopril but I have been off of the beta blocker for a couple of weeks and the lisinopril for 10 days and still get attacks of shortness of breath and tightness in my chest. All tests, including heart check out normal. I do not have a burning sensation and I have noticed the attacks can come on at any time but often get worse after a meal. Prilosec does not seem to make a difference.

Published: May 12

For seven months now I have been having this crushing chest pain between my breast that radiated up to my right shoulder down my neck and into my shoulder blades. It started out with this pain and right side pain, leading the doctors to believe it was my gallbladder. I had a low functioning gallbladder, they removed the gallbladder and the pain is still here. The right side pain is no longer there. I have been diagnosed with a stricture (small) in my esophageus, years ago, but they did nothing about it. No, medicine is working, I have been on Prevacid, Prilosec, Aciphex, another medicine that I don't know the name off that coats the stomach. I also recently was on a round of Prevpac for H pylori. I have history of stomach ulcers. I am also having severe joint pain in almost every joint, my knees are the worst, hardly can walk especially stairs. I am tried of the pain and discomfort. I am going in about two weeks, for an endoscopy and colonoscopy, because I am having problems at the bottom of all this.

Published: May 09

My stomach is constantly upset, even before I eat in the morning. It is also upset after meals. I have acid reflux. My heartburn can be relieved by antacids, Zantac helps out with thatc but nothing seems to help me with my indigestion. I constantly have to burp, have nausea after eating, and often vomit after meals. It seems like my body is having trouble digesting, so if i eat poorly or too much, i vomit. I've tried Prilosec, Nexium and others and they help with heartburn, but not at all with my digestion problems, and acid reflux. I have no clue what to do. My doctor advised that I eat smaller meals and i did, but it seems anything I consume makes me sick...even a glass of milk will get me burping!

Published: May 08

In response to post on April 24., I also feel better when I eat. I also am on medicine for heart attack. I feel the medicine is making me sick. I'm on metoprolol (Toprol). The doctors say that the medicine is not making me have acid reflux.

Published: May 08

I have been throwing-up (vomiting) and gagging for over 2 years. I have had every type of test, endoscopy, esophageal ph monitoring, etc and every medication for GERD that is out there. At night, I gurgle and have chest pains when I am trying to sleep. No medication has helped. I also avoid all acidic foods and drinks.

Published: May 07

I have been on esomeprazole (Nexium) for 2+ years and I feel my GERD is getting worse. I've had an endoscopy and a barium enema which diagnosed GERD and IBS. My doctor just keeps changing my medication. The whole top of my stomach burns and it is now going to my back. Nights used to be worse but now it affects me during the day as well. It's just making me feel weak and tired now.

Published: May 07

I was diagnosed with GERD when I was 11 years old. I kept losing my voice and wasn't even able to let out a squeak. I had absolutely no sound. The doctors eventually saw that the acid had damaged my vocal cords. I was put on omeprazole (Prilosec), which didn't work. They then switched me to rabeprazole (Aciphex) 20mg which I have been on ever since. Now 9 years later, I still get occasional heartburn. If I miss one pill, I get extreme heartburn. Recently, I haven't missed any pills but am getting extreme heartburn, to the point of unbearable pain. I have a feeling I may be pregnant though, I've been extremely fatigued, had bad heartburn, frequent urination, and lower back and joint pain. I don't know if I am yet, I'll know in a few days, but I hope that is the cause of my horrible heartburn and not some other serious problem. I'm sure eventually in my life I'll have to have surgery to get my flap tightened.

Published: May 06

My husband takes pantoprazole (Protonix) every day. Two to three times a month he jumps out of bed and has acid in his throat that he says gives him pain and affects his breathing. Then he coughs nonstop for at least an hour.

Published: May 06

I have had GERD for 18 years now and my Dr. has gave me a medication called pantoprazole (Protonix, Somac), which has worked very well for me. I have also found that eating regular small meals and avoiding foods that seem to react with my disease is a good preventive.

Published: May 05

I have previously used esomeprazole (Nexium) short-term and started again last week because of a recurrence of symptoms. While the burning feeling is pretty much under control now, I still get nauseous and frequent belching. I don't remember having those symptoms the previous times I took it. Also I have fibromyalgia and the Nexium always seems to make that flare-up and become much worse.

Published: May 04

At the beginning my symptoms were chest pain and some belching. I was prescribed rabeprazole (Aciphex) and the chest pain is less, but the belching is almost constant mostly in the morning and a little less the rest of the day and evening. I have never had heartburn.

Published: May 04

It feels like something is stuck in the back of my throat, burning chest pain, and regurgitation (burping up acidic liquid). The more anxious I get the more pronounced my symptoms are. I took Prilosec OTC for about a week but received no improvement so I stopped.

Published: May 03

I use ginger to help get rid of GERD. I notice that when I have 3-4 pieces a day (crystallized, raw, or dried), I find my GERD almost disappears.

Published: May 02

For the past six months I have suffered from the globus sensation - the feeling of something stuck in the throat. Also, I have a gurgling sound often when I swallow things, as if liquid is getting 'hung up' at the back of my throat. The worst of it though is that when my throat is at its worst the muscles of my throat feel like they are strained and tight. It's very akin to the feeling of being emotionally upset, although this sensation just occurs at random and doesn't follow any strong emotion. Talking was also difficult as my voice would tire easily and become somewhat raspy.

I was put on Nexium twice/day for a month. The Nexium caused improvement for about two weeks and then no more. I went back and was given Reglan. The Reglan seems to help, but the problem is certainly not gone. I've been on Reglan now for two months. I don't experience as much gurgling at all, and the super tight constricted feeling in my throat has only come when I haven't been compliant with the medicine. However, the lump is still there, albeit not quite as badly as it was before. The problem is, I can't take Reglan for the rest of my life, because of its side effects. I think Tardive dyskinesia would be worse than this horrible throat situation, and both would certainly be terrible.

Published: May 02

I was prescribed esomeprazole (Nexium) 20mg once a day, but I continue to get burning in my throat and sometimes it affects me when I talk on the phone for more then 20 minutes. My doctor increased that dosage to 20mg twice a day, but I have been on that dosage for a week and so far the burning continues. I have an acid taste in my mouth and sore and dry throat. I am thinking of trying 40 mg once a day. I have a hiatal hernia diagnosed in 2004 and have had reflux since then.

Published: May 01

I am having pains in my neck and back after I eat and I feel tired, and I can't belch or pas gas. I take Nexium for acid reflux and I have anxiety. I have never associated the two. But when I feel bad after eating and I can't belch and I feel pain in my chest. My heart beats very loud in my ear at night and it is races very fast.

Published: May 01

It burns when I drink tea or wine and feels like something is sitting in the back of my throat. At times it feels like a knot in my stomach. I also have hoarseness.

Published: May 01

Initially, Aciphex worked very well for me and I took one per day for nine months and was able to stop without symptoms at all for two years. Then they came back with a vengeance and nothing has helped them. Not the Aciphex not the 40mg of Nexium I have been taking for the past three months. I have constant heartburn and do not know what to do. I am worried about all the consequences that could occur due to the irritation of my esophagus but my doctors seem very nonchalant about it.

Published: April 30

I am scheduled for an upper GI tomorrow, my symptoms started about a month ago. The feeling of something stuck in my chest/throat is the most annoying, I wake up at night feeling like I can't breath at times, and my skin feels very hot - not to the touch but on the inside of my body, usually in the back of my head. I've been through many tests to find the culprit and so far everything has come back negative hence the upper GI - they gave me Nexium to take but that is not helping my symptoms at all. I'm clueless as to what I could possibly have.

Published: April 28

Since taking either Nexium or omeprazole (Prilosec), for a diagnosed inflamed esophagus I continue to have a very bitter taste no matter what I eat. It is almost continuous. I did not experience the bitter taste previous to taking these drugs. I do sleep with a wedge and make every effort to avoid any acidic foods. I have also tried eating several small meals as opposed to three larger ones. I do not experience problems during the night. I would appreciate any solution to this problem.

Published: April 25

I took Prevacid for 2 years and now take Nexium for acid reflux. However, in the past 3 months, (while still taking Prevacid) I wake up every morning and start coughing and gagging uncontrollably for about 20 minutes. I cough and gag up tons of mucus, and sometimes liquids in my stomach. I thought Nexium would give relief, but it hasn't. Now my M.D. has scheduled me for an upper G.I. I thought the gagging would be caused more by post nasal drip, but he doesn't seem to think so.

Published: April 24

I have an acid taste in mouth, nausea, incapacitating upper abdominal pain, inability to eat more than a few mouthfuls of any food.

Published: April 24

As soon as I eat something my reflux seems to go away, but when I stop eating it's right back there again. I am taking medication for high blood pressure and it seems to me that my reflux has come back since I have been on this medication. Other then that I have not had reflux in about 3 years. Is it possible my high blood pressure medication is giving me reflux?

Published: April 23

Dear Dr. Marks, I've had serious heartburn for years. I can not eat anything that is spicy that I love. I've been taking prescription drugs for 2 years, and they have worked, but now I am concerned with the side effects of the drugs and would like to discontinue them. I've tried a product called Aloecure, and so far I find it has worked well. So how do I discontinue the drugs and continue taking just the Aloecure. I asked my doctor about this product, but he is not familiar with it. Have you heard about the product?

Published: April 22

I have acid reflux but only on several occasions had heartburn. My main complaint was sore throat and coughing. After two years of Prevacid, the coughing and sore throat have ceased. Unfortunately, I still have reflux. Even though I wait three hours to lie down after eating. Even though I only weigh 160. Even though I don't smoke, don't drink coffee, avoid tomatoes, onions, spicy and fried food. Even sitting straight up - if I fall asleep after eating, the reflux will shoot straight up my esophagus to the point I am choking on it. I'm going in next month for testing and possible stretching of the esophageal sphincter.

Published: April 22

I don't get the burning sensation, just an incessant need to belch. Many times, almost continuously. I have teen taking Prilosec with mixed results. The onset is often after eating spicy food and can last up to three days at a time. It prevents me from sleeping and makes it difficult to concentrate at work.

Published: April 22

I first went to my doctor because of various symptoms: severe heartburn, chest pain, difficulty swallowing, shortness of breath, foaming saliva, and the taste of regurgitation in my mouth. He prescribed Aciphex which relieved these symptoms but caused terrible gas and diarrhea. Today I saw a gastroenterologist who switched me to Protonix and scheduled a endoscopy. Will keep you posted. In the meantime, peppermint gels and digestive enzymes containing papaya have seemed to help.

Published: April 22

Raw carrots at breakfast had helped a bit with nausea. Eating cinnamon with liquids helps too. I drink less coffee and coke. I have found that eating a raw potato helps a bit too, eating fruits do make a difference. I took Prilosec two times for 6 months each time and did help some but, it came back.

Published: April 21

My symptoms were relieved with a three-month course of Aciphex. However, three years later, the symptoms have reoccurred. I am wondering whether I just need to do three more months of Aciphex, or what would be a better course of treatment.

Published: April 21

I often wake up with extreme pain the mid chest which comes on suddenly at night. This wakes me up and I run to the bathroom to swallow a cup of warm or hot water which quickly stops the pain. This can recur more then once a night. I began taking Prevacid regularly for about a month, then I thought maybe I didn't need to take it everyday and stopped. Immediately the pain returned at night and also a nagging pain during the day (which may or may not be related) so I've resumed the Prevacid.

Published: April 18

l have just returned home from the ER with severe pain in my chest back neck and left arm. l was told l had GERD in October of 07, but never had this much pain like today. It felt like a heart attack. l was on Nexium for a while, but it never helped. Thank god they said all the tests came back negative for any heart problems and prescribed Prevacid. I'm still not feeling well. Does anyone have these GERD symptoms?

Published: April 17

My nausea has not improved at all with Nexium.

Published: April 16

What I do to help control my acid reflux is, eat some crackers, common anti-acids, and ginger ale seems to help. The only problem with the anti-acids is, its makes me feel full and the effects only last a short time. I've gotten 2 "attacks" in 2 years. It feels like my upper stomach was just stabbed, and after a bit, my chest starts to hurt. When its gets really really bad, the only thing I can do is throw up to get rid of the acid, then take some Pepto Bismol, and it helps awhile. Because after an "attack" the spot will be really sore for a few days.

Published: April 16

I have hade reflux problems for 30 years and the medications work well for the heartburn problem but when I started coughing up stuff that I ate the day before, that explained why I have had pneumonia about 30 times. I am considering surgery because I am afraid that the next time I wake-up choking on dinner may be the last. It seams like the doctors want to treat problems and I am spending my life treating too many problems I wish they would just cure something ............anything!

Published: April 15

My symptoms have just recently started and amount to feeling like a knife is in my throat and burning pain in my upper chest. I am currently on Prevacid but have not been diagnosed.

Published: April 15

My husband has been complaining about upper back pain and a lump in the throat. He describes it as similar to having swallowed an egg as whole and having it stuck in your esophagus. He got himself admitted in hospital last week and underwent MRI tests and endoscopic tests. MRI didn't show anything wrong with him. Endoscopic tests showed he has ulcer in his esophagus. He also vomited last night. The doctors are unable to diagnose him at the moment. He was given an injection to his spine (to relive the upper back pain) and is asking to undergo physiotherapy.

Published: April 15

To April 3 I know what you are talking about with the spasms in your throat. That is the sensation that caused my last 4 years of being tested with every test imaginable. I too have acid reflux. Is is very mild. The spasms come out of nowhere and are very scary. I believe it is either a crossing of the vocal cords or vocal cord dysfunction. I keep investigating. Good Luck and check them out.

Published: April 14

I am taking the Prilosec and Zantac but they have not lessened the knot I feel just at the base of my breast bone, right dead center. It constantly feels like I need to burp. It has not gone away and causes pain in my upper chest area and pain across my shoulder blades. To date I have not tried any other treatment.

Published: April 14

I was diagnosed with GERD and hiatal hernia two months ago. I tried proton pump inhibitors but got no relief. The only thing that has given me relief is slippery elm powder.

Published: April 13

Dried papaya spears work wonderfully! I used to take Prilosec, then Nexium, then Aciphex. They all stopped working after awhile and gave me other problems besides GERD. I then took Rolaids soft chews at the first sign of heartburn, which seemed to really help except they made me nauseous. Someone suggested eating dried papaya spears when I have a sour stomach and heartburn. I thought, "well' it can't hurt." To my amazement it worked just as fast as any antacid without any of the nausea, etc. I now keep them by my bedside. You can find them in any health food store.

Published: April 13

I've been taking Prilosec for awhile and it helps some. However, I seem to want to belch but can't most of time. I've been nauseated for four days now and it leaves for a short time, I feel bad. I've also had gas, which I have never had before. I'd like to know if it is normal to feel nauseated.

Published: April 11

My symptoms are like burning skin. It starts at my upper stomach and runs up to my neck. My upper stomach becomes bloated and I look six months pregnant at times! I have been taking Prilosec to no avail.

Published: April 10

Relating to Comment [dated April 9]. Go to your doctor immediately - symptoms of someone sitting on your chest, can't clear throat, gurgling sound in the esophagus = heart attack - just went through that with my husband - congestive heart failure!!!!

Published: April 09

I have had GERD for several years and taken several proton pump inhibitors with little relief. I have had several diagnostic tests done, including the esophageal manometry which showed that my lower sphincter was not making the full contraction. The gastroenterologist I saw wanted me to take the drug Reglan, but after consulting my primary I decided not to take metoclopramide (Reglan) due to my history of depression and the Parkinson-like symptoms that can result. I continue to have symptoms in my chest, feeling of something sitting in my chest and I can feel and hear a gurgling noise in my esophagus which is loud enough for others to hear. I also have excessive phlegm in my through which requires constant clearing and makes me voice hoarse as well.

Published: April 08

I have been on lansoprazole (Prevacid) for about one year, when was diagnosed with GERD. I still have problems, I feel if something is stuck in my throat. I cannot cough it up and sometimes when I bend over I feel as if I am going to vomit, sometimes I do. I do not have any heartburn symptoms or burning sensations in my chest. Sometimes I think it is post-nasal drip. I do have bad sinus problems. I keep having to clear my nose a lot which goes down my throat. I do not know what else it could be. I just had a double mastectomy back in Dec 2007 and I am schedule for my second surgery on May 8, 2008

Published: April 07

I am currently taking Prevpac. It is for helicobacter pylori and GERD. It doesn't seem to be working to keep the acid down. I experience heartburn with vibrations somewhere inside my body in between treatment. I sometimes have to take Mylanta or some other form of antacid.

Published: April 04

My mother (71 years old) was diagnosed with GERD, h-pylori and esophagitis last December 2007 via endoscopy. She has been taking Prilosec and some of the symptoms have gone away - for example. bloating, fullness; however some symptoms are still there such as excessive belching. A new symptom that started after a bad cold in October 2007 is having coughing/choking episodes and bringing up foamy and someone thick saliva. These episodes occur every morning upon waking and sometimes after meals. She is now taking 40mgs of Prilosec twice a day and Zyrtec-D twice a day, but no relief from the episodes.

Published: April 03

I know that I have GERD, I have had three endoscopies over the years. I have had long periods of PPI's. There is one symptom that in the last 5 years (about) I have had. Very infrequently I have what seems like a very scary and painful contraction type pain of my throat, this is the one thing that seems not to have improved with PPI's. It happens at any time but mostly at night and can wake me instantly. I sit up and slowly sip water until the painful contraction subsides. It is a spasm of some sort and it frightens me. I have all the more normal symptoms of acid reflux and know that it will always be down to management. I am OK with all of that but worried about these infrequent and unpredictable spasms.

Published: April 01

I have reflux in the middle of the night which wakes me up. I do not have any symptoms during the day. I am taking Prilosec OTC 40 mg in the morning 30 minutes before a meal.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter