Patient Comments: GERD - Proton Pump Inhibitors

If your GERD symptoms were not relieved by treatment with proton pump inhibitors, did you find other effective treatments?

Comment from: artchick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

For past two years I have been getting extensive blood work, CAT scans etc., to try to find answers for another medical problem they can"t explain why. But searching I was just diagnosed about 8 months ago with GERD and a small hiatal hernia. I have never suffered from heartburn. I changed my diet stopped sodas and fast food two years ago and started with omeprazole about 8 months ago. Everything was fine until I had an attack for eating something spicy in December and I ended up in the emergency room. Nothing works. I just started Nexium will see how that works. I tried the apple cider vinegar with water and honey which made it worse. I get bad sinus tension headaches as result too.

Published: June 23

I was diagnosed five years ago with GERD and hiatal hernia. I've been treated with PPIs during this time, with little success. Having made all the lifestyle changes to diet, sleep habits, etc., and still no significant relief, I also developed symptoms of LPR -- trouble swallowing, lump in the throat, and hoarseness. My treating GI and a speech therapist counseled me and the GI upped my PPI dosage. Now, the LPR is only occasional, but the reflux symptoms at night have become chronic, even though I've eliminated all coffee and chocolate at night and do not eat after 6 pm. Recent tests show only low average acid levels and NO hiatal hernia. What's going on? A head and neck surgical specialist has recommended a throat biopsy to look for non-acidic reflux.

Comment from: sonja2530, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

Since the recent news of pump inhibitors having many serious side effects, I wonder if anyone had any good results using an alternative. I've been on Aciphex for years and now, and, of course, want to use something else to ease my chronic gastritis.

Published: May 30

About 10 years ago, I was diagnosed with a large hiatal hernia after being hospitalized with dehydration because I couldn't keep anything in my stomach. When I recovered everything was fine with some occasional heartburn. The about 3-4 years ago I developed a chronic cough which I thought was due to post-nasal drip -- however the ENT doctor could find nothing with the sinuses, so when I told him of the hiatal hernia, be had me try Nexium. After two weeks, the cough was gone. He told me to try coming off the Nexium after about 8 weeks. I did and within 2 months the cough was back bad as ever. I went back on the Nexium, but this time it took about 1-1/2 months before it seemed to work. It's now usually enough to take Nexium in the morning 1/2 hour before meals - however, whenever I get a cold or allergy symptoms, it seems to aggravate the the ARD again and I'm coughing long after the cold is gone. Sometimes the addition of Gavison to my day starting with Nexium helps until the rekindled ARD is under control again. Sometimes it doesn't work - like now. I think I will try the gum chewing route/the ginger and see if that works.

Published: May 29

I have been taking Zegerid for the past four months. I also have recently finished treatment for H. pylori. I have noticed less stomach pain and less vomiting/nausea since beginning treatment. The frequency of belching after meals has decreased, but I am still affected by certain foods. The abdominal gas has increased and is accompanied by alternating diarrhea and constipation.

Published: June 23

I used Prilosec for about six months. My symptoms immediately improved; I was instructed to discontinue use. I was symptom-free for about three months, but then I began using Prilosec again for about 12 months with mixed results. I experienced painful nighttime heartburn episodes, which hadn't occurred in the past. I discontinued Prilosec and started 600 mg of Zantac, per my doctor. I've been on that for three years but am now experiencing hair loss, low libido, and profuse sweating.

GERD - Diet Question: What diet and lifestyle changes have you made to improve your GERD and heartburn?
GERD - Causes Question: Do you know what caused your GERD? Please discuss your experience with GERD.
GERD - Complications Question: Did you experience any complications with your GERD? What were they?
GERD - Diagnosis Question: How did your doctors arrive at a diagnosis of GERD?
GERD - Treatment Question: What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't?