Patient Comments: GERD - Treatment

What types of treatment or medication have you received for GERD? What's worked and what hasn't? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: MissouriRN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

A physician I saw prescribed omeprazole for GERD. It worked, and I was on it for a year or two. Then I read that it can cause cardiovascular complications, so I decided to switch to an H2 blocker. I bought some Zantac and the Zantac (ranitidine) is working fine. A pleasant surprise was that after I stopped the omeprazole, my shortness of breath decreased! I feel better not taking this drug, and may have had other side effects from it I didn't associate with the drug. Due to the other complications of these drugs, such as bacterial overgrowth, my plan is to lose some weight and take Tums as needed as I wean myself off the H2 blocker.

Comment from: BABY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have GERD and I have been given Nexium but nothing has work out for me, I still feel the pains.

Comment from: Fiona, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 03

For GERD, I have been on cimetidine for years. I was put on lansoprazole which brought me out in rash. I am back on cimetidine now that doesn't work and all other medications make my skin itchy. Only thing am taking just now is Gaviscon advanced. I have got appointment to see consultant on 16th February. I had endoscopy in 2009. The general physician doesn't know anything else to give me.

Comment from: flower power, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have had GERD for many, many years, and it keeps getting worse with time. I take the medication misoprostol plus Prilosec twice daily. I was instructed by my doctor to eat six hours before bedtime to allow digestion, and mine is very slow. I will see if this helps. I avoid chocolate, fresh fruits (for evening meals), vinegar, and spices, especially cinnamon. I drink only herbal tea with lemon, use only sorbets for dessert, and eat small meals.

Comment from: Syed, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

Drink lots of water. Stop eating red meat. Eat when you feel hungry. Eat vegetables rather than meat. Stop eating spicy and junk food. Prevention is better than medicine. You can treat GERD just with diet plan and diet control.

Comment from: Mharia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am 70 years, and don"t remember when my GERD started, but nothing worked, I lost 42 lb. I ate soft food, no spices, no drinking anything bad, like soft drinks, wine, liquor, etc. My bed is high, I am under doctor's care but I go to emergency every month for the same problems, nothing I do is working for me.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter