GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the esophagus. The symptoms of uncomplicated GERD are:Read more: GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Worst Foods for Digestion
Discover which foods to avoid in order to prevent diarrhea and digestive problems. Find out which foods can trigger diarrhea and...
GERD Quiz: Test Your Digestive Diseases IQ
Who is at risk for developing GERD? Are you? Take this quiz to learn what GERD is, if you're at risk, and what you can do about...
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Picture of Peptic Ulcer
A hole in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. See a picture of Peptic Ulcer and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
The stomach contents regurgitate and back up (reflux) into the esophagus The food in the stomach is partially digested by...
Picture of Esophagus
The esophagus is a muscular tube connecting the throat (pharynx) with the stomach. See a picture of the Esophagus and learn more...
Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More
Upset stomach? Some foods may be the culprits, and bad habits may be to blame. Treat your body right with these simple nutrition...
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
The 18 Most Expensive U.S. Medical Conditions
What are the most expensive medical conditions? Learn about heart conditions, brain disorders, back pain and many more expensive...
Head and Neck Cancers: Symptoms and Treatments
Head and neck cancers include cancers of the throat, lips, nose, mouth, larynx, and salivary glands. They are more likely to...
Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause...
Heartburn (Acid Reflux, GERD): Causes and Remedies
Heartburn is a symptom of acid reflux that causes chest pain when stomach acid backs up into the esophagus. Heartburn symptoms...
Gastric (Stomach) Cancer: Types, Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What are the common signs and symptoms of stomach cancer? Learn about gastric cancer diagnosis, treatment, and their risks, how...
Better Ways to Feed Your Baby
What tips and tricks help you introduce healthy foods to your baby's diet. Learn techniques for feeding that work for infants and...
Related Disease Conditions
Hiccups (Causes, Cures, Remedies, and Medicine)
Hiccups are a sudden, involuntary contraction of the diaphragm muscle. In general hiccups are just a temporary condition. Some of...
Sore Throat Home Remedies (Soothe, Pain Relief)
Natural and home remedies for sore throat symptoms and pain relief include essential oils, licorice gargles, slippery elm...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
Laryngitis is an inflammation of the voice box (vocal cords). The most common cause of acute laryngitis is infection, which...
Eustachian Tube (Dysfunction)
The Eustachian tube is a membrane lined tube that connects the middle ear space to the back of the nose. Symptoms of Eustachian...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Esophagitis is caused by an infection or irritation of the esophagus. Infections that cause esophagitis include candida yeast...
Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip (Symptoms, Treatment)
Chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip symptoms include an itchy, runny nose, sneezing, itchy ears, eyes, and throat. Seasonal...
Sore throat (throat pain) usually is described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused...
19 Tips on How to Stop a Cough
Coughing is a reflex that helps a person clear their airways of irritants. There are many causes of an excessive or severe...
Hoarseness (abnormal deep, harsh, raspy voice) is caused by a variety of conditions in which the larynx (voice box and vocal...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach Pain) Symptoms, Relief Remedies, Medicine
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
Bronchitis (Acute) Contagoius Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Recovery Time
Bronchitis is inflammation of the airways in the lung. Acute bronchitis is is short in duration (10 to 20 days) in comparison...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Sjögren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease involving the abnormal production of extra antibodies that attack the glands and...
Peptic Ulcer (Stomach Ulcer)
Peptic or stomach ulcers are ulcers are an ulcer in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. Ulcer formation is related...
Hiatal Hernia (Symptoms, Diet, Surgery, Treatment)
Hiatal hernia is a condition in which a thin membrane of tissue connects the esophagus with the diaphragm becomes week, and a...
Heartburn is a burning sensation experienced from acid reflux (GERD). Symptoms of heartburn include chest pain, burning in the...
Esophageal cancer is a disease in which malignant cells form in the esophagus. Risk factors of cancer of the esophagus include...
Iron is a mineral our bodies need. Iron deficiency is a condition resulting from not enough iron in the body. It is the most...
Gastroparesis is a medical condition in which the muscle of the stomach is paralyzed by a disease of either the stomach muscle...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Cough (Chronic, Persistent Cough in Adults and Children)
Chronic cough is a cough that does not go away and is generally a symptom of another disorder such as asthma, allergic...
Is Sore Throat (Pharyngitis) Contagious?
The medical term for a sore throat is pharyngitis. There are many causes of a sore throat such as medications, diseases (GERD,...
Schatzki Ring (Schatzki's) Causes, Symptoms, and Natural Treatments
Schatzki (Schatzki's) ring, is a narrow ring of tissue located just above the junction of the esophagus and stomach. The cause of...
Reflux Laryngitis (Diet, Home Remedies, Medicine)
Reflux laryngitis is caused by acid refluxing back up through the esophagus and voice box. Reflux laryngitis causes irritation...
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Second Source article from Government...
Barrett's esophagus occurs as a complication of chronic gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), primarily in white males. GERD...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
Second Source article from The Cleveland Clinic...
Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS)
Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) is a condition that causes pain in the mouth. BMS may be caused by menopause, dry mouth or...
Heartburn during Pregnancy
Heartburn during pregnancy is quite common. During pregnancy the lower esophageal sphincter muscle becomes weakened , which...
Scleroderma is an autoimmune disease of the connective tissue. It is characterized by the formation of scar tissue (fibrosis) in...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Chronic Bronchitis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Remedies)
Chronic bronchitis is a cough that occurs daily with production of sputum that lasts for at least three months, two years in a...
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Swallowing Problems (Dysphasia)
Dysphagia or difficulty in swallowing, swallowing problems. Dysphagia is due to problems in nerve or muscle control. It is...
Causes of Chest Pain: Signs and Symptoms
Chest pain may be caused by many conditions. Learn when chest discomfort, pressure, and tightness is a medical emergency. Find...
Sleepwalking (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment)
Sleepwalking is a condition in which an individual walks or does other activities while asleep. Factors associated with...
Heart Attack vs. Heartburn (Differences between Symptoms and Signs)
Heartburn is a symptom of another disease or medical problem and can be described as a feeling of burning in the chest...
Eosinophilic esophagitis is an inflammation of the esophagus. Eosinophilic esophagitis has many causes including acid reflux,...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD)
Connective tissue diseases are disorders featuring abnormalities involving the collagen and elastin. Connective tissue diseases...
Heartburn vs. Acid Reflux (Differences and Similarities)
Heartburn and acid reflux are not the same thing. Heartburn is actually a symptom of acid reflux. Heartburn gets its name...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
GERD and GER (Acid Reflux) in Infants and Children
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is the upward movement of stomach content, including acid, into the esophagus and...
Gastroesophageal Junction Adenocarcinoma
Gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma is cancer that forms in the area where the esophagus joins the stomach. Having GERD and...
Shaken Baby Syndrome (Abusive Head Trauma)
Shaken baby syndrome, or abusive head trauma, is the condition that describes the symptoms and signs that result from the violent...
Asthma in Children
Asthma in children manifests with symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. Rates of asthma in children are increasing. Asthma in...
Children's Cough Causes and Treatments
Children's cough causes include infection, acid reflux, asthma, allergies or sinus infection, whooping cough, and exposure to...
Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumors (Islet Cell Tumors)
There are many types of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (NETs): gastrinoma, insulinoma, glucagonoma, VIPomas, and...
There are many unusual symptoms of asthma, including sighing, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, chronic cough, recurrent walking...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Abdominal Pain
- Loss of Appetite
- Stomach Cramps
- Sore Tongue
- Chest Pain
- Bad Breath
- Chronic Cough
- Tightness in Chest
- Acid Reflux (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or GERD)
- Decreased Appetite
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
- Hairy Tongue
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Specific References - GERD
- Tummy Trouble FAQs
- GERD Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease FAQs
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- Chest Pain: Heart, Esophagus, or ?
- Esophageal Cancer Linked to Heartburn
- Propulsid - Urgent FDA Warning
- Propulsid To Go Off Market - Warning
- IBS, GERD, Hepatitis C: Doctors Dialogue
- GERD Symptoms After Exercise?
- Heartburn Diagnosis
- Heartburn or Heart Attack? Emergency In Flight
- GERD Surgery - No Good?
- GERD: Questions To Ask Your Doctor About GERD (Heartburn)
- Smoking With Liver Disease - A No-No
- GERD Surgery Doesn't Prevent Cancer
- Heartburn: Is Heartburn Inherited?
- Digestive Disease Myths
- Doctors Answer Digestion Questions
- Are Tums or Rolaids Good for Heartburn?
- What Is the Treatment for Esophageal Rings or Webs?
- What Is the Relationship Between GERD and Scleroderma?
- Heartburn: Carbonated Soda & Sleeping Pills Increase Nighttime Heartburn
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
- Nighttime Heartburn - Audio Medical Podcast
Medications & Supplements
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) Drug Class
- pantoprazole (Protonix)
- nizatidine - oral, Axid
- omeprazole delayed-release capsule - oral, Prilosec
- famotidine 10 mg - oral, Pepcid AC
- omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate - oral, Zegerid
- esomeprazole delayed-release suspension - oral, Nexium
- omeprazole delayed release tablet - oral
- lansoprazole delayed-release disintegrating tablet - oral
- esomeprazole delayed-release capsule - oral, Nexium
- famotidine/calcium carbonate/magnesium hydroxide - chewable, Pepcid Complete
- pantoprazole delayed-release - oral, Protonix
- ranitidine 75 mg - oral, Acid Reducer, Zantac 75
- rabeprazole delayed-release - oral, Aciphex
- cimetidine - oral, Tagamet
- lansoprazole delayed-release capsule - oral, Prevacid
- lansoprazole delayed-release suspension - oral, Prevacid
- calcium carbonate antacid - oral, Dicarbosil, Rolaids, Titralac,
- ranitidine, Zantac
- esomeprazole (Nexium)
- Carafate (sucralfate)
- omeprazole (Prilosec, Zegerid)
- Prilosec (omeprazole) vs. Nexium (esomeprazole)
- cimetidine, Tagamet HB
- lansoprazole (Heartburn Relief 24 Hour, Heartburn Treatment 24 Hour, Prevacid 24)
- magaldrate-oral, Riopan
- aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, simethicone antacids (Mylanta, Mylanta Maximum Strength)
- famotidine (Pepcid AC)
- metoclopramide, Reglan, Metozolv ODT, (Reglan ODT, Octamide, and Maxolon
- calcium carbonate (Caltrate 600, Os-Cal 500, Tums)
- sodium bicarbonate
- rabeprazole (Aciphex)
- cisapride, Propulsid
- aluminum hydroxide suspension - oral, Alternagel, Amphojel
- magnesium hydroxide - oral
- aluminum hydroxide - oral, Alu-Cap, Alu-Tab, Amphojel
- licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra, Alcacuz, Sweet Root, Gan Zao, and many others)
- calcium salts (Cal-Citrate, Calcitrate, Calcium Chloride, Rolaids, Oyster Shell, Tums, and others)
- nizatidine, Axid, Axid AR
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Steer Clear of Heartburn by Avoiding These Foods
- Pill Expands in Your Stomach to Spot and Track Disease
- Connecting the Dots Between Heartburn Drugs and Kidney Damage
- Deep Space Travel May Damage GI Tract, Animal Study Shows
- Common Heartburn Drugs Linked to Broken Hips in Dialysis Patients
- Health Tip: Taming GERD
- Acid Reflux? Try Going Vegetarian
- Popular Heartburn Drugs May Boost Death Risk: Study
- High-Intensity Exercise May Be Bad for the Bowels
- Shifting Weather Can Unleash Pollen 'Superburst'
- Study Suggests Heartburn Meds-Superbug Infections Link
- Research Points to 'Smoking Gun' for PPI Risks
- 1 in 4 Hospitalized Newborns Gets Heartburn Drugs, Despite Risks
- Common Heartburn Drugs Linked to Kidney Disease in Study
- Could a Low-Risk Surgery Help Your Chronic Heartburn?
- Chronic Heartburn Drugs Tied to Higher Risk of Kidney Disease
- Health Tip: GERD Shouldn't Interrupt Sleep
- FAQ: Heartburn Meds and Health Risks
- Health Tip: Identifying Symptoms of GERD
- Popular Heartburn Meds Linked to Higher Risk of Heart Attack
- Generic Form of Nexium Approved
- Could Popular Heartburn Drugs Upset Your 'Good' Gut Bugs?
- Taller People May Have Lower Risk of Esophageal Cancer: Study
- Take Heartburn Medicines Before Breakfast for Best Effect
- Doctors Often Suggest Pricier, Brand-Name Meds for Reflux: Study
- Your 'Healthy' Bacteria Are as Individual as You Are
- New Weight-Loss Surgery May Not Ease Chronic Heartburn
- Acid-Reflux Drugs Tied to Lower Levels of Vitamin B-12
- Generic Aciphex Approved to Treat Chronic Heartburn
- Losing Weight May Ease Chronic Heartburn
- Parents Will Push for Medication, Even If Doc Says Not Needed
- Health Tip: Don't Let GERD Interrupt Your Sleep
- Heartburn Meds May Often Be Taken for Too Long, at Too-High Doses
- Magnetic Implant May Ease Chronic Acid Reflux
- Endoscopy Overused in Heartburn Patients
- New Guidelines Urge Limiting Endoscopy for GERD
- Stimulation Device for Esophagus Might Ease GERD Symptoms
- Untreated Heartburn May Raise Risk for Esophageal Cancer, Study Says
- Chronic Heartburn May Boost Risk for Esophageal Cancer
- New Device Approved for Lingering GERD
- Health Tip: Spot the Symptoms of GERD
- Acid Reflux From Chronic Heartburn May Damage Teeth
- Health Tip: Keep Heartburn Under Control
- Heartburn Drugs Linked to Hip Fractures in Women
- Blood Test Shows Promise in Spotting Pancreatic Cancers Early
- FDA Panel Backs New Device for Chronic Heartburn
- Chronic Heartburn a Growing Problem in U.S.
- As Obesity Rises, More Suffer From Acid Reflux
- Anti-Reflux Drugs, Antibiotics May Raise C. diff Risk
- Are Too Many Babies Getting Acid Reflux Drugs?
- Men, Women May Experience Acid Reflux Differently
- Study: Stomach Acid Drugs Linked to Fracture Risk
- Acid-Reducing Drugs May Not Be Risky in Pregnancy
- The Best Mattress for a Good Night's Sleep
- 28 Tips for Nighttime Heartburn Relief
- Nexium GERD Treatment for Infants and Children
- Heartburn and Asthma
- Insomnia: What You Eat Can Sabotage Your Sleep
- FDA Approves Prilosec OTC to Treat Frequent Heartburn
- FDA Approves Generic Omeprazole
- GERD Awareness Week
- Dyspepsia: The Remorse of a Guilty Stomach
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter