Patient Comments: Gastritis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your gastritis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: dimmy, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 08

I had a colonoscopy which went well but I did have 4 small sessile polyps removed from the bowel wall. However only 3 of the polyps were sucked out and extracted. The 4th small polyp (2 mm) was 'lost' after removal from the bowel wall, and stayed in the bowel. The consultant said there was nothing to worry about as the lost polyp was healthy and young looking (it wasn`t there 2 years ago at my last colonoscopy). The doctor said the 'lost' polyp would pass through and exit my body naturally at a bowel movement.

Comment from: Fredrick, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

One day I had pain in my upper right abdomen that was so excruciating and I remember before that I was degassing a lot. The symptoms were so sudden that it was difficult to single out what could have caused it. I'm therefore left guessing the cause. When I went to my doctor, blood and stool tests were done but with negative results. I was later taken for endoscopy that revealed gastritis. I was then put on Nexium IV and later 40 mg of Nexium. The pain subsided but with recurrence sometimes. I am presently on a diet with cabbage as part of my diet. Those taking proton inhibitors should also try to take breaks because continuous use may result in sclerosis due to lack of calcium digestion. Good luck to all of us, may we get relief.

Comment from: amanda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning will help with gastritis. Also I take probiotic once daily as well as eat apples, bananas, grilled fish or salmon and instant potatoes. It has cleared my gastritis up to the point where I am trying more foods daily.

Comment from: Papagigi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 73 years old and otherwise in good health and active. My gastritis pain is a severe gripping and crippling pain between my breasts that goes through to my back. I started having them about 4 weeks ago but maybe once in a while. I was eating Tums. Finally I went to the doctor and saw his assistant who diagnosed esophageal spasms and gave me nitro. A few days later I had 3 episodes in one day each worse than the last. My husband took me into emergency. I had enough markers for heart attack that they did a heart catheter through my wrist. It was not heart. Next test was endoscopy where they found gastritis and erosion of the duodenum. I was in hospital 3 days and sent home with a device implanted in my esophagus to measure acid and activity of attacks. I have not received results of that yet. Doctor took away my arthritis medicines which were the culprit and increased Prilosec to 40 mg twice a day and a Pepcid AC 20 mg before bed. Last week I went 3 days without attack and wham, another bad one. I have been eating very plain and small meals. Seems to be the best. I went to friends' for dinner and ate more than usual. Bad choice. Very bad attack last night, not only pain in chest and back but left arm. I could not lay flat. Slept in recliner all night. Most attacks last about 20 minutes but last night was nearly an hour. Doctor says it takes a good 6 weeks to feel better. I can't believe how excruciating and debilitating these attacks are. Really watch the diet and take your medicines.

Comment from: Karma, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I had totally severe and unbearable central abdominal pain (top center) lasting for a day until the intervention of the hospital where I was given pain killers. I was advised for ultrasound and endoscopy and from the endoscopy result, I was told that it is gastritis with H. pylori infection. I had the same pain exactly 2 years before but was cured by pain killers after a brief stay in the hospital, but there was no conclusive findings by the doctors.

Comment from: Johnson, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I have pain in throat and upper collar bone area, it is more like a burning sensation. I wonder if it is gastritis.

Comment from: DonnaC, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 01

My husband has gastritis going on 3 months. He has been on and off omeprazole which gave him bad back pain, was also on probiotics which could have made it worse. We ordered pine nut oil, I wonder if anyone had luck with this. I am thinking about slippery elm and licorice also.

Comment from: Marmstrong001, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have been recently diagnosed with esophagus ulcer, plus gastritis of stomach.

Comment from: Eli, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

I have a WBC in urinalysis of 61-65/HPF. I wonder if it means I have a kidney problem.

Comment from: Hippiechick, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

In 2011 my stomach started burning (in upper part of stomach), and I had gurgling, bloating, gas, burping and diarrhea, and fatigue. In 2000 I had GERD surgery and was doing well until 2011. I also had my gall bladder removed in 2000. My stomach hurt so badly I went to my family doctor and was put on 60 mg of Dexilant, 1 pill a day. It helped for about a year, then another flare-up. So a colonoscopy and endoscopy were ordered. I had several stool tests, which were all negative. Biopsies were taken to check for H. pylori, diverticulitis, colitis, and celiac disease. All were negative. I was told I have chronic gastritis. I break out with sores every time I have a gastritis flare-up. They start as blisters that itch, then break causing an open wound that is very sore and deep. They scab over and last for weeks! They look terrible. I wonder if anyone else gets sores with gastritis or if this is another issue. I've never had breakouts, even as a teenager until I was diagnosed with gastritis 2 years ago. I've been having a flare-up for the last 5 to 6 weeks now. I get so tired of not feeling good! A new doctor just put me on colestipol 1 gm twice a day to bring the bile from my gall bladder removal. Hopefully this will help! I have been on it for only 4 days.

Comment from: srt123, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have been diagnosed with chronic gastritis after an endoscopy. My pain began as a sharp stabbing feeling in the upper left abdomen (a pain even after all I have done still exists), this pain slowly progressed to a swelling in the pancreatic area. After so many tests and theories the diagnosis came as a shock. I was given Prilosec to help the healing process, but I was instructed to change my diet; no gluten or dairy. It had helped but I still experience stabbing pain, burning when I'm hungry, and vomiting when I wait too long to eat once symptoms start. I am told changing the diet gives the stomach a chance to start it's healing, after the pain subsides I am free to reintroduce foods. I will not lie, the pain is still there, and next to the gastritis I feel I am still lacking a proper diagnosis for the swelling, and stabbing pain in my upper abdomen even if the tests revealed that everything there is normal.

Comment from: Sam, Female (Patient) Published: July 08

It all started with a dull/cramping pain in upper right abdomen. This lasted 3 days and on the 4th day I got this agonizing tearing pain that came on suddenly and kept getting worse. I was taken to the emergency room (ER) by my parents as the pain was so bad I couldn't bear it. They gave me a few shots of different things (pain killer, Buscopan, and IV fluids). That helped ease the pain. About 6 hours after being released and having a small dinner, (1 hour later) the pain came back even stronger. I was on my knees pulling my hair. My parents rushed me to the ER again. It is by far the worst pain I have felt in my life (and I have been in the ER and had surgeries for different things before). They tried to give me a mild pain killer and Buscopan but I couldn't take the pain still and was given morphine. The ER doctor ordered a few tests. The ultrasound was clear, blood tests clear, but abdominal x-ray showed severe constipation. I was given an enema and laxatives. He dismissed it as gastritis and an ulcer and I was put on Nexium 40 mg for 30 days. Though Nexium has helped, I got another attack after eating a bigger meal with what I now know are irritating foods (like salads). I am going back to a gastroenterologist to get an endoscopy and hope I will get a proper diagnosis and start healing properly. I wish everyone good health.

Comment from: spacee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have Barrett's esophagus, and went to the emergency room with severe upper abdominal pain. The doctor couldn"t find anything wrong, blood tests, etc. I went to the gastroenterologist yesterday, for having endoscopy, which I have due to the Barrett's, every year. When you have a flare up of gastritis, spinach, pineapple, salmon, and almonds take the pain away. It is imperative to eat small meals, avoid spicy food, alcohol, and caffeine. I take 4 Prilosec a day and Carafate. I had a bleeding ulcer last year. Doctor wants to check me out to control it better. I know terrible pain, eating those 4 foods will take the pain away immediately. Good Luck everyone. I will repost after my test.

Comment from: PHILI, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have suffered from a burning stomach, throat, burping and passing of gas since 2011 and have been to more than 6 doctors. Two of them said I suffer from acid reflux. Then I was prescribed Nexium 40mg which did not help much, until last year when I was referred to gastroenterologists where I did my endoscopy and nodular gastritis was found. I am currently taking omeprazole which seem to be working for me, but lately I have noticed that whenever I take something with cow milk I get that burning sensation, I could be lactose intolerant as well.

Comment from: chrissyx, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

My gastritis started with weeks and weeks of a burning sensation in my chest and stomach, feeling sick but I just put it down to heartburn an indigestion. Weeks later I was at work and the pain was worse than usual, by the time I got home I was in serious pain retching and cramping up. I went to bed hoping I could sleep it off but yelled my mum awake at about 6am, the pain was now worse than giving birth to my son and I thought I was dying. I got an appointment with an emergency doctor as it was a Saturday. I couldn't walk, speak or function at this point and my mum said I looked yellow. When we got into the doctor's she felt my tummy, looked at my eyes, took my temperature (which was sky high) and rang me an ambulance. Anyway long story short, when I got to the hospital they soon figured out that it was gastritis and hooked me up to a drip of omeprazole in 1 arm and antibiotics in the other. They took blood and said my blood count was only at 52% so they kept me in for 3 days and gave me a blood transfusion of 2 pints. They said it was a miracle I was walking around and going to work! So please don't ignore symptoms, as I have never felt pain like that in my life! Mine was caused by overuse of ibuprofen.

Comment from: boochie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was just awakened by an 'on fire' stomach. On the follow up with my doctor she said I have to give my tummy time to heal from the H pylori infection and the two weeks of 2000 mg of antibiotics that she had me on. Supposedly the antibiotics really mess your stomach up. She said 4 to 6 weeks breaking time, maybe more. I am so freaked. I barely want to eat, I'm bloated, gassy and queasy and have burning in my stomach off and on. She said it is gastritis, the crazy thing is I have severe anxiety which she said is making it worse.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I have been suffering from gastritis since I had my gallbladder out in 2009. I had a stomach ulcer previously but before this no stomach problems at all. I get reflux too. I get severe pain. For a long time I was getting one good day and one bad day like that. Now it seems to be mostly bad days with worsening pain. I don't have nausea. I am going to be tested for carcinoids as a cause has not been found for my gastritis. I'm really scared. I can't sleep with the pain and eating and drinking is difficult. This latest flare up has happened after eating spicy foods which I should not have had. Eating mild foods and avoiding triggers does sometimes help, sometimes not. I am at my wits end with the pain and am thinking more and more of trying herbal remedies. Sometimes I think I would be better off without a stomach. I don't even know if the doctors would take it out but that's how bad it has got for me.

Comment from: ciarajacksonville24, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I was diagnosed with Gastritis in the emergency room about 4 and a half weeks ago. Since then they gave me medication but off and on for about 3 weeks afterword I still had stomach pain, nausea, bloating, diarrhea and constipation. Since I left the emergency room I was only on Prilosec and they doubled my prescription and decided I should have a colonoscopy because of the symptoms. I decided I won't go that far, I'll go see a specialist who can actually tell me about gastritis. After they had me detoxify (prepping for the colonoscopy) I haven't had nearly as much stomach pain and have been able to tolerate some foods I normally wouldn't. Although, I haven't had nearly as severe of symptoms, just some stomach pressure and pain after eating a normal amount of food.

Comment from: PinkRoxy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am 25 years old and have been a heavy drinker since before I was even old enough to drink. Now I do not drink but only on occasions but am still a cigarette smoker and one coffee a day drinker. I know all three are bad. I am trying to stop all of it because after my endoscopy I was diagnosed with Gastritis and the pain is unbelievable. I wake up at night with the worst chest pain under my bust. I vomit this disgusting tasting liquid if I eat anything after 6 PM. This usually wakes me up around 1 AM. If I try to ignore it I am spending my entire morning in agonizing pain and vomiting. Antacids do not help me.

Comment from: gastritisgirl29, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I just started taking the omeprazole (I think it's the same as Prilosec) for my gastritis by orders of my gastroenterologist and I find that I am way more gassy than usual after eating now. So annoying because I already had that problem and now it is worse.

Comment from: Kittycatkara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have chronic gastritis caused from excessive alcohol use. I am 25 years old and was just recently hospitalized for 5 days after a night of drinking. I find that clean eating and no longer drinking any alcohol helps my stomach. I no longer eat spicy foods, fried foods, or processed foods. I try and eat at least 5 times a day. I can only also eat a small amount at a time because sometimes I feel sick to my stomach if I eat too much in one sitting. It has definitely changed my life for the better. I don"t have any flare ups. I stick with clean eating, it makes me feel great!

Comment from: dudica, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

Since 2007 I've developed a pain in the upper left part of my tummy, that moves along to my left leg. The movement also goes to my back side, the pain really continued up to my cerebral headache. I've been treated, given many pain killers, done x-rays and G-scope but nothing was found. Currently this year the doctor found out that I am a gastritis patient, caused by a heavy load of H-pylori.

Comment from: Chikastika, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I love coffee so much that I take 3 times a day, not knowing the effect it had on me. Last 3 days I have been suffering from gastritis. I had trouble breathing and my hands and feet were numb. My doctor gave me omeprazole and vitamin B12, after that I feel good. But I have problem when I eat spicy food, milk or papaya. It triggers me also when I eat too much. All I have to do is to limit my food. I eat when I feel hungry. And I drink coconut water, yoghurt and more water.

Comment from: butterflyt23@gmail.c, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was just at the hospital ER this past Saturday for my gastritis. I was sitting by the pool when the upper part of my stomach started bubbling thinking I had to go to the bathroom. By the time I got into the house I was in so much pain. When this happens I start to get sick, pain goes around like a band through the upper back by shoulder blades. My stomach is so tender to touch, then I get sick a it relieves some of the pain. today I am still tender in my stomach, going to bathroom a lot. I hate getting these attacks, I never know when they are going to hit. it might be in 2 months or 6 months. I take protinix every evening before dinner. Maalox as needed and zantac every morning. Tums as needed. My stomach always seems to bother me. Plus I have acid reflex. Any advice on what type of diet I should be using. plan to see specialist again in a few weeks. I'm tired all the time.

Comment from: DLL, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

Twenty two years ago I was first diagnosed with Lyme. That is when my stomach problems began. It took many years for the illnesses to be treated because I had so much trouble finding a doctor to test me and treat me. The gastritis would cause heart attack symptoms, so I often went to the emergency room and was not treated well. Seven years ago I was re-infected. This time it only took a year to get treatment from a doctor. I was diagnosed with Lyme and bartonella. The gastritis kept getting more and more severe and debilitating. I am currently being treated just for bartonella with some improvement. I am sharing this so others can benefit from my years of misdiagnosis. Wish me luck!

Comment from: Kalyani, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have burning pain in stomach, diarrhea, rectal burning and nausea.

Comment from: cardinal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have had gastritis for years. Recently I had an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) and got the diagnosis. I have pain with bloating and lots of gas and there are so many foods I cannot eat anymore.

Comment from: cgmikey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have been taking Advil regularly for severe dental pain while I wait to have a root canal because I couldn't tolerate the Tylenol 3s at work. I was up all night with severe epigastric pain, gas and nausea. I have been taking Advil every day every 4 hours to manage the tooth pain. I realize I have to stop the Advil immediately and deal with the side effects of the Tylenol 3s.

Comment from: Donmomgram, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Gastritis is a brand new diagnosis for me. After losing 110 pounds over two years, I thought I was dealing with gastroparesis. I was under the care of a very poor gastroenterologist and had a tremendous amount of pain in my stomach, nausea, no appetite, and diarrhea. I continued losing weight and felt terrible. I found a new gastroenterologist who did a gastric-emptying study, ruling out gastroparesis. Finally, an esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) led to a new diagnosis of gastritis and I was started on proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs). We'll see where I go from here.

Comment from: patrickajijic, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

For several years, I experienced excessive gas bloat relieved by forcing myself to belch a significant amount of gas. I had no pain or symptoms of GI distress. I have been under a lot of stress recently and noticed skipped heart beats. Being a nurse, I attributed this to trapped gas affecting the vagus nerve. My MD performed endoscopy and, to my surprise, diagnosed erosive gastritis and esophagitis. After a month of carafate and Prevacid, and of course dietary changes, my symptoms have cleared.

Comment from: brezzy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am having a lot of gas and a bloated felling in my stomach and also at the same time I get a felling of something crawling in my stomach face neck and other areas at times. As well as lots of belching and an airy feeling in my ear.

Comment from: Martin, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I was having these stomach pains for several weeks on end, I went to work and was in agony. My friends and colleagues were concerned as I was in so much pain and could hardly walk or stand up straight. As the days went on the worse it got. I kept going to Doctors and all they kept doing was feeling my tummy on the examination table and sending me off with all kinds of different medications. Over time I wasn't getting any better. On a Saturday morning I was due to start work at 8:00 am and I was still in bed at 7:30am. Mom came in saying, You do realize you have work in half an hour? I was like, I know but I'm in pain and I can't move. I got up and struggled to get ready. I got to work at 8:15 am and my colleagues were worried about me. I looked pale and they could see I was in pain. I almost collapsed in the staff room upstairs. Just before 9:00 am the Duty Manager sent me home with a first aider in case I collapsed on the way home. A couple of days later I went back to the Doctors. And I was 10 minutes late for appointment, as no one was available to take me and I struggled to walk to the next town, half an hour away where my Doctors is. When I get to the Doctors office I collapsed in the chair, she was astonished that I had walked all the way from my home town the way I was doubled over. I was taken to hospital that same day. It took them 4 days before they finally found out I had gastritis. I was so relieved to finally find out the problem after weeks on end of not knowing. I also have coeliac disease and psoriasis, so don't know if this triggered gastritis?

Comment from: Mare, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

Mine started as a pain after meals, then at nite when i lay down to sleep it literally feels like contractions in my upper stomach. The pain the next day after an attack is not as bad but feels like my stomach did a workout, sore. I'm taking prilosec and protonix with some pepto as well. This is a horrible feeling and i don't wish it on anyone.

Comment from: mary51, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

My gastritis starts with increasing frequency of bowel movements until every time I eat something I have to run to the bathroom. It gets so bad I am afraid to eat. My upper abdomen is a little tender and feels inflamed inside. I am also very tired. I found out this time that I had h-pylori but even after taking the antibiotics my diarrhea continued for a month afterward. It is just slowing down after three months.

Published: March 19

I went to the emergency room last week and was kept overnight for testing because they thought I was having a heart attack. I did not think that was the problem since I have acid reflux and lots of gas off and on. The doc did an endoscopy of my stomach and took a biopsy and said it was gastritis. Now I'm waiting for test results. Meanwhile, I'm taking Maalox, Tums, baking soda with water and Prilosec (which I have already taken for over a year). My pain is almost always between my shoulder blades and sometimes my chest. I eat small meals but it does not seem to help. Sometimes I can eat with no problems and other times, like now, I am in a lot of pain. Go figure!

Comment from: rita, 65-74 Female Published: May 03

I get severe pain in my upper abdomen that lasts for hours, almost like contractions, I am always on the toilet and my stomach is so hot to the touch. I also have IBS, which to me r the same symptoms, I do notice when I eat a little but often that it does help, I am 65 years old and so sick of this feeling. I have it right now, I drink Mylanta, take Gas-X and now I have Zantac. I hope I don't medicate myself too much; I also take sleeping aid at night. I am not a pill popper; I am so desperate to take something to kill the pain. I have it for two full days now, when it finally leaves, it won't return for another few months, o-boy-I can't wait, is there a miracle out there for me.

Comment from: Fire, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My "gastritis" starts with a cramp and nausea, the cramp escalates to a pain that is so unbearable it feels like there is a serrated edge knife in my stomach and my stomach is rubbing against the knife. Along with that vomiting and excessive bile movement.

Comment from: Queenie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I was diagnosed with gastritis yesterday after my doctor told me the lining of my stomach is showing erosion. He has not mentioned ulcers being detected as yet. He sent away a sample to be tested. I received a general pamphlet on what I should not eat or drink, but I am wondering if there could be something specific in my diet or drinking that could have caused this. I have been on a three day fat flush diet for over six months. The base is ground beef, vegetable juice, and spices. I take it twice a day. Could that have been a problem? I do not drink alcohol when I am on the diet, however I usually drink wine two or three days a week. Could the wine have caused this erosion?

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter