Patient Comments: Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: hadiza, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

My daughter has been diagnosed with gastritis since three years. She is 20 years old and has lost weight as anything she eats hardly stays for 2 minutes in her stomach. She takes her medication religiously but no sign of improvement. I observed that only malt drink and water works for her, though she takes a lot of spicy food and fries.

Comment from: h pylori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have had gastritis because of Helicobacter pylori for 3 years. I cannot get rid of it, as it is antibiotic resistant. Cancer runs in my family including stomach, lung, skin, and prostate.

Comment from: Aneroph, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been suffering from heartburn since I was 16 years old and I have had 6 acute gastritis attacks in my life. It is the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. Eight hours of walking back and forth in my apartment muttering nonsense to myself while holding my chest and contemplating calling 911. The first time it happened I thought it was a heart attack because of the severe pain in the middle of my chest, but after a few hours it seemed to pass like it was never there. The next few times the duration of the pain increased drastically, lasting anywhere from 8 to 12 hours of extremely severe pain, nausea, and shortness of breath. I never had any vomiting or bowel issues. The last time it happened I leaned over the sink holding my chest and trying to catch my breath and I ended up passing out for a minute on the kitchen floor. The pain lasted 2 weeks, although, after the first 8 hours it dulled enough for me to be a functioning human again. I have not been to a doctor and have not had another attack in over 5 years, but it always seems to happen when I eat chicken. Not all chicken, just a few strange brands. I hope I never have to deal with that pain ever again.

Comment from: SteveK61, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

If you are diagnosed with gastritis do not accept that you have to live with it like my doctors told me! I lost 22 pounds in six weeks. My family physician thought it was acid reflux and put me on proton pump inhibitors (PPI) which helped a little but not much. It turned out it was all caused by my gallbladder not working right. My gallbladder was operating at 10 percent, but because I didn't have gall stones they did not think that was the issue until I had a HIDA scan ten months later. After my gall bladder was removed most symptoms went away, but not all of them. That was because the PPI they gave me caused small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, SIBO. After I was treated for that I am back to normal eating what I am with little or no symptoms. Go to a University Hospital and get a referral! Do not give up. It took 19 months but what a relief.

Comment from: Jvc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I have been diagnosed with gastritis several years now. Mostly it is a mild pain in central chest, around bra-line, both sides. About a month ago I woke up with what I can only describe as screaming pain on my upper right rib. Neither Aleve nor Advil gave me any relief. It would ease up, then I would have it again in a day or two. Then it became almost every day. I also had a breakout of 5 lesions on my back, which we thought were just bug bites. When I called my doctor she thought it could be shingles, which made sense. But when I saw her, she said the breakouts were atypical for shingles. She put me on gabapentin for nerve pain treatment, and I just underwent a chest x-ray and sonogram of the abdomen. The technician said I would probably need an endoscopy to rule out stones in the ducts. The pain has dulled on the right side, but I am feeling the gastritis symptoms across my chest more. I have to call the doctor since I haven't heard from her.

Comment from: Ayya, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Because of gastritis I have difficulties in eating especially in morning.

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

Like one or two others I have both gastritis and diverticulitis. My stomach is permanently swollen and after a small meal I feel like I'm going to burst. It's hard to find foods that my stomach does not react to but soft foods like porridge, scrambled eggs, soup, and well cooked rice seem to be best. When at my worst I just have to stop eating and then naturally lose weight. I am almost constantly hungry. I take 30 mg lansoprazole each morning and 10 mg metoclopramide twice a day to help my stomach empty. All this follows 8 cycles of chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma which thankfully is quiet after eight years. Daily life is a torment as there is so much I would like to be able to do but I'm so tired all the time yet I find it difficult to stay asleep at night.

Comment from: Aviator, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I too have gastritis and have suffered for about 5 years on and off. Recently I have had very sharp pains and gone on a bland diet. Aspirin was the cause of my gastritis and you must stop taking this. If you take it for medical reasons the doctor can prescribe something else for you, such as clopidogrel. Hope you feel better soon.

Comment from: kimmie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have just been diagnosed with gastritis. I have had a lot of stomach pain for over a week now. I've ended up in the emergency room twice for this. I came home and researched it and have all the symptoms. I have a lot of itching with this.

Comment from: swekel9580, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 29

I have had gastritis for a little over a year now. I have had 2 upper endoscopies done, the last one was this past August. The upper endoscopies showed nothing but mild gastritis and I was put on 20 mg of Prilosec once in the morning and that has been for a year now. I recently went back to my gastroenterologist and he upped the dose to 40 mg once in the morning. It has been 3 weeks now and I really don't feel a difference. I am also taking 1 gm of Carafate 4 times a day which helps a little. But I am starting to get heart burn which is getting worse and I can feel it in my back and in my stomach. I heard that drugs like Prilosec are really bad for you and too little acid in your stomach can cause heartburn. I am going back to my gastroenterologist on March 9th to talk about this and possibly get another endoscopy to see what's going on and see if the gastritis is healed so I can get off of these drugs. I am scared to death of getting cancer. I am only 35 and I shouldn't have to deal with this. I am sure stress has a lot to do with what's happening to me but I can't help it, stress is in my genes. After my appointment I will let everyone know what's going on. Thanks for letting me rant.

Comment from: fungooleyruley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in October 2012 and part of my treatment was radiation therapy. Not long after that I was diagnosed with gastritis after having an endoscopy and colonoscopy to work out what was causing my symptoms. I was prescribed Nexium which seemed to work for me and the symptoms subsided until last week. I also suffer from diverticulosis which has flared up into diverticulitis on two occasions, one being very recently, and subsequently I was hospitalized for IV antibiotic treatment for 48 hours. It's been a real roller coaster ride for me these past few years and now that the gastritis has once again reared its ugly head I will just have to try harder to avoid things that are causing it, like soft drinks. After all is said and done though, it would appear as though in my case the initial cause was the radiation treatment for the breast cancer. Life can sure be cruel sometimes!

Comment from: klc831stc, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I had been severely nauseated and had flushed feeling for about a month. My symptoms took a turn for the worse when I didn't have a bowel movement for 6 days. The 6th day I had fever, shaking, chills, severe upper abdominal pain, bloating, uncontrollable vomiting and ended up in the emergency room. I was given two IV bags of fluid, morphine, and Dilaudid. They did an ultrasound and lab tests which showed my liver, pancreas and gallbladder were fine (I couldn't believe they were saying nothing was wrong). They ended up diagnosing me with gastritis. I do have a history of heavy NSAID use, and I used to drink quite a bit too. I was given omeprazole and famotidine for the acid, and Zofran for my nausea, and Tums. They also put me on a bland diet. I have seen some relief but not much, the diet is really hard, I still have the nausea daily, and my pain is better but still interrupts my daily life. I have bubbles of gas I can feel moving around constantly and I am so tired all the time. I would like to know what has worked for people because I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Comment from: Candy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had gastritis for over a month before I decided to seek treatment. I suffer extreme fatigue and weakness, stomach cramps and sharp pains, vomiting something acidic, severe nausea that never seems to end, and so many more fun problems. The doctor first tested me for some sort of bacterial infection, and when it came back negative she decided I have gastritis. She prescribed me to take a month's worth of Nexium. Let me tell you how well this has worked for me. I went to work after the doctor visit and by the end of my shift was miserable and running a fever. I took about five days off after that. On the third day of being back to work, I woke up feeling like somebody beat me up and down with a stick. The fourth day was beyond worse. My whole body hurt (it even hurt to breathe), and I was so weak I couldn't do much, had severe stomach pains, and I guess I looked like all around awful because work sent me home early. I began running a high fever and developed a migraine from my tight back muscles. Yesterday, I felt on the verge of death because of my migraine, my sore body, my overly sensitive skin, and the awful pain in my abdomen. It turns out side effects of this medicine are headaches, muscles aches, etc. I did not take a Nexium yesterday. Today, I still feel beyond awful and my migraine is looming in the background waiting for an opportunity to mess my world up again. I have been up since the dark this morning and am going to attempt to return to the doctor today. I don't know if I have been misdiagnosed or if (in my ignorance of this illness) I have made it worse through my diet and work. I just know that this is some of the worst pain I have ever been through and I have been through a miscarriage, uncountable migraines, and multiple lower body fractures that I acquired simultaneously. This pain leaves all those experiences in the dust.

Comment from: Miss P, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

Gastritis was horrendous. I was vomiting for 36 hours every 2 to 3 hours; all bile. It started off as a black color and ended up green both with black bits in. I was admitted to Accident and Emergency after 12 hours of vomiting. I even vomited in the hospital after taking anti-sickness medicines! Doctor diagnosed gastroenteritis. I was on a fluid and paracetamol drip for 2 hours before being discharged. I was sent home with anti-sickness tablets. After 2 days of no progress I went to the general physician. He diagnosed it as acute gastritis and gave me anti-acid tablets. I just got home, so have to wait and see.

Comment from: mommaof3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had my first bout of gastritis about a month ago which found me in the emergency room. I thought it was my gallbladder because of the pain and location. All tests came back normal and an ultrasound found my liver and gallbladder in good condition. The doctor prescribed Percocet and antacid relief. The attacks are extreme pain in the upper abdominal area and into the back, vomiting, loose bowels, and mine brings on an extreme anxiety attack. Avoiding alcohol, heavy meals, and lots of caffeine tends to help. Once an attack starts there is no turning back. It takes me 3 days to recover from an attack. I'm considering the GAPS diet, which is extremely difficult, but I know it will mend my digestive system. Probiotics and digestive enzymes have also helped my condition.

Comment from: catlady4, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I too have gastritis, and have had 2 bad attacks in the last week. Pain so severe I can't function, gas that seems to get caught in my throat, and wanting to throw up but can't. My stomach gets bloated and hard. Right now I am afraid to eat at all. I am on ranitidine because I have severe side effects to the -prazole medications. I take 81 mg of aspirin daily and wondering if I should stop it. This is no picnic, wish they would find a better cure.

Comment from: Jiweeon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am 28 years old and have been suffering from heartburn since I was 17 years old. A few days ago, I was at work and felt fine. Suddenly, after finishing my cup of coffee, what felt like the worst heartburn ever came on. Being used to the pain of heartburn, I thought I would just wait it out and eventually it would go away. This time it was different, an unbearable amount of pain began to radiate from the center of my stomach (about two inches above my belly button). It just got worse and worse. I could barely walk and I wanted pass out from the pain. I was short of breath and nauseas. It was by far the worst pain I have ever experienced. No position helped the pain and after I couldn't take it anymore we went to the emergency room. They eventually gave me a dose of Dilaudid, which didn't seem to help the pain, but helped me to relax. They finally diagnosed me with gastritis and sent me home with Prevacid and Vicodin. I am still awaiting an appointment with a gastroenterologist. It is nice to hear I'm not the only one who has experienced this excruciating pain.

Comment from: Susie q, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had gastritis on and off from the time I was young. The wonder cure for me was aloe vera taken as a drink. Not only did it sooth my burning stomach but it went away for years. Flax seed mixed with a little hot water to make quite a thick but drinkable mixture is also wonderful for taking away the burning. It has lots of beneficial properties also, as does aloe vera. These are tried and tested and worked for me during pregnancy to get rid of heart burn and I swear by them to this day.

Comment from: Gajanan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

My gastritis started as a pain after meals, then at night when I lay down to sleep it literally felt like contractions in my upper stomach. The pain was dull and I used to ignore it for 2 to 3 months, I suppose I found reason also. I consumed a lot of alcohol and smoked cigarettes last year. It had started when I smoked that morning. I could feel that something was wrong with my stomach. I could feel burning inside me. Now, it is 2 months after and I can still feel that something is wrong with my stomach. I've visited the doctor and am on medication. But now, I still feel some pain.

Comment from: Sully, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I too suffer from gastritis and colitis after years of taking meloxicam and other NSAIDS. Although not a cure all, I have found that eating quinoa in a morning egg casserole has helped me immensely. I stumbled on this as an aid when trying to add more nutrition to my diet through good eating. It keeps my bowel movements totally regular, since irregularity was another major issue from my diagnosis. Now my flare-ups are more associated with the gastritis pain. Just google quinoa egg breakfast casserole for a recipe. When in a flare-up, I make my morning casserole without the veggies. I have grown to love quinoa.

Comment from: Marichold, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had chronic gastritis for about seven years. During an attack I am in absolute agony and cannot function. I was admitted to hospital the first time I had an attack, doctors suspected gallstones but gastroscopy showed gastritis. For some reason I was told I had gastritis but not that the agonizing attacks were the result so I had no idea what was wrong! It was another four years before another doctor said "that sounds like gastritis". Since then I have been taking lansoprazole every day. Last summer I was told to double the dose as I was having one attack after another. I was to go back to one dose after about two weeks if I could tolerate it. I still can"t! Despite a year of double doses I still have frequent horrendous attacks. Medical profession isn"t interested. My current record during an attack is 43 Buscopan tablets! If anyone has any advice I am interested.

Comment from: Philos17, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am a 19 year old who suffered with gastritis for 3 years before a doctor did basic tests. Unlike others it seems, I have a constant urge to vomit when I have it, I can't help it, I will just keep throwing up even when there is nothing left in my stomach to throw up. It's painful and makes me feel absolutely horrible. In the end, whenever I had it I would vomit blood. It was down to helicobacter pylori and thank goodness that I managed to find a decent doctor to test for it as a course of antibiotics has really helped me.

Comment from: Starfire, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My father died of stomach cancer so when I began having esophageal reflux and a precancerous condition that caused such pain, I eventually was told I have gastritis and to discontinue overdosing on oranges and citrus fruits. This was thirty years ago. I never had another orange even though it is my favorite fruit. Severe stomach pain and a regular series of UTIs (urinary tract infections) after hip surgery in 2010, required a urologist (I had never had a UTI before the surgery). I had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy done last year and the endoscopy disclosed the inflammation and gastritis in the stomach but no cancer. I have not had a normal bowel movement for years. When I do they are hugely explosive. I am able to deal with this and I eat very carefully with small meals. I appreciate what I heard on this site. But I am beginning to know what foods I cannot tolerate. Stress magnifies all symptoms.

Comment from: mirage, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

With gastritis it was very painful lower abdominal pain. I couldn't sleep or eat heavy seasoned foods. I was prescribed an antacid which did help, now I'm going to change my eating habits. This was caused when I took naproxen for carpal tunnel.

Comment from: hank, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have been diagnosed with mild gastritis in the past. Recently, from one day to the next, I had awful acid reflux which left me feeling nauseated, unable to eat, and feeling really tired. I contacted my gastroenterologist who after an ultrasound, x-rays, and blood test determined my acid reflux was in high gear. She gave me some Nexium which has helped with acid production and I was able to eat. At night the acid seems to worsen and I wake up because of a gas like feeling in my abdominal area and some nausea. I will be taking two doses of Nexium a day to see if this helps. If not I will request an endoscope and/or colonoscopy. These bouts of nausea are a horrible feeling.

Comment from: Dibbles, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with gastritis through endoscopy. This all started at 4AM one morning when I was woken up with a massive pain in my chest, and nausea. I thought it was angina but the pain wasn't radiating, so I went to work and it eased but was still there, and nausea too. Coffee felt hot going down and eating felt like I had some large piece of food stuck in my gullet. I went to the local emergency room on the way home as I still had chest pain and a racing heart (anything from 85-135BPM). Heart was fine; after a CT scan, nitroglycerin tablets and a patch, X-rays and an overnight stay, with a stress test in the morning, I went to see the gastroenterologist. He asked if I am taking any medications and I am on a course of doxycycline that's what I did late that night and then about an hour later went to bed. It seems doxycycline is a very caustic antibiotic and I had burnt my esophagus with the antibiotic. I should have been taking them with a full glass of water. The gastritis is probably caused by the doxycycline said the doctor and will go when the course of tablets is finished. I am taking them with water now and I have also managed to get some manuka honey which I take a teaspoonful of each day.

Comment from: jrm0341, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I was sitting one night and felt a pain in the left side of my chest and when I lifted my arm I felt some numbness and a lightheaded feeling in my head. I went to the emergency room and they said I was not having a heart attack. After that first time I had been to the emergency room 8 times and all my blood work was and fine and my EKG were ok. My blood pressure was fine and my heart rate was normal. I had a brain MRI and neck MRI and a chest MRI and all test came back fine. I had a brain CT scan and that was fine, they checked my thyroid and for blood in my lungs and found nothing. I had a Lyme's test down and it was clean. Then I had an upper endoscopy down and the doctor said I had gastritis, he gave me omeprazole. He also did a biopsy and found that I had eosinophilic esophagitis. I was told that this morning and picked up Flovent for my prescription. I still feel bad like I'm having a heart attack but it does seem like the symptoms have gotten milder since I have been on omeprazole. So I will have to change my diet and see if this Flovent helps with my symptoms.

Comment from: ted, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I am suffering from gastritis, my stomach contracts and heaves, bubbling like thunder inside, then the pain begins, the most unbearable pain. Sometimes it gets in to my chest and I feel like I am getting a heart attack. I went in for tests and I knew this must be caused by regular intake of ibuprofen for my headaches which may now have caused ulcers in me by erosion of stomach lining. I was on omeprazole which didn't help much, I am now on pantoprazole, waiting to see a gastroenterologist. I can't sleep and I have pain, nonstop diarrhea, vomiting and headaches. I can only take porridge, I have no appetite for food. I am looking to find one doctor who really knows what to do with this type of gastritis. Most doctors are only running endless tests which have now cost me a lot yet I have no treatment or solution for the problem.

Comment from: Buffy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I was diagnosed with H pylori 5 years ago and it was treated successfully with antibiotics, but it has come back again and I am taking anti B's again. The first time it gave me a duodenal ulcer, this time I have gastritis because I am told it has developed lower down in the stomach. My symptoms are abdominal pain which moves around, but the predominant symptoms are a burning and acute gnawing feeling in the stomach, nausea and loss of appetite. I have an idea that stress could be a trigger for H Pylori because it has emerged both times after I have been under considerable stress. I am told that an Alkaline diet is the best way to combat the bacteria - in other words don't give it the food it likes and thrives on. I am seriously reviewing my diet at the moment. A list of Alkaline and Acid foods can be found on the net. It has been a very useful guide for me and I am hoping it will help in the battle to eradicate this horrible disease and will hopefully prevent it developing into cancer.

Comment from: Jilly B., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I can feel quite hungry and have a bite and the feeling goes. Also I have been ok since May but I had an Indian and was so ill all night vomiting acid and burning my throat, so no more for me. I have to be very careful what I eat because of my gastritis.

Comment from: Faisal M., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I have been suffering from gastritis since last 10 years but no one diagnosed that this is a type of gastritis. The doctor has just given me medicines like omeprazole but my problem is I am getting headache and I feel that it is because of gas.

Comment from: P.Long, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 12

My only symptom of gastritis is diarrhea, and abdominal cramping! I had my knees injected with 80 mg cortisone, each knee a week ago tomorrow.

Comment from: Bloating, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I think I have gastritis however I have not only had heart burn, but really bad low abdominal pain and serious bloating, and the pain even overpowers the heart burn.

Comment from: Kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

When I have pain after eating, I have found an ice pack on my stomach relieves pain and inflammation. This has given me much needed relief from gastritis!

Comment from: DestinyMae, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have not been to the doctor for this, but I have every symptom of gastritis. My upper abdomen cramps, is sensitive to the touch, I have bloating, gas, burping, and back pain. It's excruciating. I thought I was having gallbladder issues, but gastritis sounds more accurate.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I was born with gastroenteritis. I was in hospital for six months. I have had stomach pains all of my life. Doctors do not do anything even though when they press on my abdomen and I sometimes jump from the pain. Also, I have had bowel irregularities forever. Now I am on a probiotic. I feel some improvement. I can only eat if I am hungry.

Comment from: LM, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had gastritis when I consumed a lot of alcohol and smoked cigarettes last year. It had started when I smoked that morning. I could feel that something was wrong with my stomach. I could feel burning inside me. Now, it is 2 months after and I can still feel that something is wrong with my stomach. I"ve visited the doctor and am on medication. But now, I still feel some pain, including back pain. I can feel cramps inside me sometimes racing heart.

Comment from: carolyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Coffee and soda and tea give the burning ache in bottom of stomach. Abstaining from these makes gastritis goes away. I feel I am saving myself from progression by drinking only water. I don't want ulcers or cancer, although it is tough giving these things up, but worth it.

Comment from: Lucy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I've had gastritis for about a year now, I was diagnosed early last year after a gastroscopy. The pain really is unbearable. I'm on an extremely strict diet but honestly my pain is just getting worse and worse. I am considering taking myself to the hospital today but I'm not really sure they can do much to help.

Comment from: dollylu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have suffered with gastritis for many years, and when I have a flare-up, I find the flat cola really helps bring up the gas. It has to be Coke Classic and it has to be flat with no bubbles. Also, I asked my pharmacist and she recommended Beano, and that helps, too. I am also going to ask my doctor about Colestipol, I have been told it binds excessive bile and safely removes it from the body. Since I've had my gall bladder removed, I believe the excess bile is a problem, too.

Comment from: rogo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had gastritis off and on for more than 30 years now. The first time I had symptoms, I was 17 years old. Now I am 47, and it is getting so bad that when it flares up, I almost pass out from the pain. The bile from my stomach makes me vomit, and I lose my breath -- I came close to calling 911 this morning. It hasn't hit in more than a month now, but just as I finished a cup of coffee it hit me. The attack lasted until I vomited all the contents of my stomach containing the coffee and bile. Then I felt better. I noticed after eating oatmeal or certain fruits I will get bloating, belching and burning, as if I swallowed a hot charcoal briquette. Then the nausea sets in usually Pepcid Complete works fine for me but not this morning. It's getting worse.

Comment from: Kay kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I was diagnosed with gastritis (slight inflammation). I was told in December 2009. I was started on Prilosec, and I am still on it. I did go off Prilosec for a few days but really got sick to my stomach and had to go back on it. It is Feb. 16 and I am still having problems with eating. I do just fine in the morning when having probiotic yogurt and half a cup of dry Cherrios. I used to have a banana and oatmeal with milk, but now that all makes my stomach feel sick. I used to be able to eat all meats but now only skinless chicken breasts, butterfly pork chops and maybe fish. I baked fish with a little olive oil. Once I did fine with that and the next time I didn't do so well. I stay away from fried foods, spicy foods, and peanuts, which I had loved. I sometimes am able to eat lunchmeat -- thin slices of turkey. Other times I can't. This is driving me crazy that I can't seem to find the right foods that won't make my stomach upset. I was told today to try lactobacillus. I hope that will help. I just don't know whether to continue taking Prilosec as I don't feel as if it is helping all that much.

Comment from: Annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

My gastritis began slowly and intermittently with a burning sensation when I ate or drank anything. I cannot drink wine, although I can drink beer occasionally or a mixed drink (which I do rarely). On my birthday last Friday, I had two mixed drinks, and I think I am paying for it now, although it did not bother me at the time. I have to avoid cooked tomatoes, but even plain rice or water will burn if I am having a flare-up. Other than avoiding triggers, I drink filtered water with a tiny bit of organic non-iodized sea salt in it, and that has been the biggest help of all.

Comment from: Ruth, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 24

Two months back, I was diagnosed for chronic gastritis. An endoscopy of my stomach was made. My diet now consists of white bread, steamed fruits and/or vegetables, no nuts, nothing fried, and fat-free yogurt. Since then, I have had very loose motion. Then I came to know about Sherry Brescia who prescribes a very different diet plus probiotic capsules. I can eat practically everything except I must not eat carbohydrates and proteins together. I can eat vegetables with meat, or vegetables with carbohydrates. I can eat all fruits raw but should not mix with any other food. I can eat salad with bread or spaghetti, etc. My stool is now normal and I feel much better, although I'm not up to 100% yet.

Comment from: mo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

On May 8, 2009, I had a pelvic floor repair operation. I was told to rest and take Paracetamol and ibuprofen every four hours. After two weeks, I started to get a sore pain under my bust in the middle of the top part of my stomach. The pain was so bad, I could not walk. I have seen four doctors including a consultant. I was told I had constipation, gall stones and an infection. The fourth doctor I saw today said that I had gastritis. I have had bloating, sickness and a sore stomach. I am starting on lansoprazole today and hope this will heal my stomach problem. I think m symptoms were caused by too much ibuprofen.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I experienced acid reflux and was on Prilosec for about 2 years. It worked great for that period of time but then my acid reflux seemed to get worse. When I went for my annual physical, I asked my doctor to set up an endoscopy in order to see if there was another underlying condition going on. I had that procedure and they discovered I had gastritis. Now, I am supposed to continue taking my Prilosec but discontinue any OTC pain medications with the exception of Tylenol.

Comment from: LONEYGIRL1962, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

When I eat anything, I belch like crazy and my stomach is bloated bad, after a couple of days it goes away. I am so sick of feeling so bad with gastritis.

Comment from: VISHAL, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I was suffering with gastritis and GERD for almost 1 year and tried many medicines like Nexpro, Razo 20, Ganaton OD, omeprazole and many others however I did not get any relief. My health conditions were getting worse. Then I tried Ayurveda medicine and you won't believe me, my conditions improved. Within a month my health conditions had 90 percent improved.

Comment from: Pattyp44, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was having stomach pains upper and lower but they were intermittent and moving around. The doctor thought it was an ulcer. I had an endoscopy and revealed slight case of gastritis. I purchased some natural oregano oil. I read that it was a natural antibiotic and specifically eliminates H pylori. Took 3 drops in a little shot of apple juice twice a day and 4 weeks later all symptoms are gone. The Brand I purchased was Oreganol P73. It was $27 for a small bottle with a dropper. I have read it can be used for other ailments as well. Worked for me and well worth the cost!

Comment from: jinx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My gastritis started with bad stomach pain, nausea, and diarrhea. I got diagnosed a few months ago through an upper endoscopy.

Comment from: tummi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My gastritis causes my stomach to burn, especially when it is empty. I interpret that burning as hunger and can't go long without eating once I feel the burn. I have gained weight because of this; it's very upsetting. I've had H. Pylori in the past and was treated successfully for it. To me, this feels exactly like H. Pylori, but I've been tested and the lab says it's not H.Pylori. I'm going for an endoscopy later this week. I do not want to take the acid-blockers the doctor has prescribed. If there is too much acid, I want to find out and treat the cause, not just the symptom.

Comment from: lzbth0671, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I was rushed to the ER from work one afternoon. I was in the worse pain I had ever been in. After 4 hours and a dose of morphine, they diagnosed me with gastritis. I take medication every morning 30 minutes before I eat. After the first week all the pain went away, although I am still careful about what I eat. Then last Friday, I forgot to take my meds. As soon as I ate my oatmeal, I was in extreme pain again. The pain lessened once I took my medicine but it was still a problem for several days after. Now it is back to normal, but I wonder if this is something I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Rich, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

Had an operation for appendicitis and developed a stomach ache underneath my sternum. Now it's travelled around stomach. Burning painful. It gets worse when I put any pressure on it such as a belt. Doctor says it's gastritis and to take probiotics. She says the antibiotics from the operation stripped my stomach of good bacteria and need to replace. So far it hasn't worked. Must stay away from alcohol, caffeine, spicy food, fatty foods. God help me!

Comment from: nana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

It's the most painful thing ever. I was given Protonix but it doesn't seem to be working. It did a day after I went to the hospital. Wish I knew what to do!

Comment from: LISA, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 16

My eight-year-old son has chronic gastritis. Four months ago he started to feel like it was hard to swallow. Over time, his condition has definitely worsened. For a while, he would only eat crackers because they dissolve quickly and are easier to swallow, he says. He was just diagnosed with gastritis and now takes two different medications.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I went to the hospital yesterday and the doctor told me that I have gastritis. OMG. It is the most painful thing ever, and I literally felt like I was going to faint from the pain. I'm only 16, and I can't imagine what could have caused this. I've been having this severe pain for three days straight now, and it won't stop. OUCH!

Comment from: mothernature321, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Personally, gastritis gives me stomach pain, nausea, and then -- because I have anxiety -- the gastritis triggers my anxiety, so I end up with anxiety on top of the gastritis problems. All it takes is three days of me not taking my Prilosec. I'm only 24. I developed gastritis about two years ago, and I never ever drink alcohol. That would never work out in my favor.

Comment from: ASK, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I had all but forgotten GASTRITIS after my Gall Bladder removal in 2000. I went on a tour and had lot of fat and fried food. I am again suffering from bloated stomach, pain in the back near the Kidneys, and going down to the knees and thighs. I applied lot of balm and liniments. Now I am trying to fast and taken watery Butter Milk. Even as I am typing I am finding some relief. I have taken a pear and small quantity of tiny 'ajwain' an indian mouth freshener say 10 to 20 pieces. I intend to go for a walk and take honey also as suggested by home remedies. If available take tender coconut water. When you start releasing gas the improvement will be felt.

Comment from: jimj, 45-54 Male Published: December 14

I had a constant mild to medium nagging pain at the top of my stomach area just below the xyphoid process. It started about a week ago. Each time I eat the pain worsens. I had a colonoscopy done about 1 year ago with only a few hemorrhoids removed. However, I also had an upper GI check done finding 2- small ulcers. Treatment was with Nexium no other problems were experienced until now. I noticed some bleeding of bright red in stool in the last couple of days. I also, take an anit- inflammatory medication Naproxen 500 mg x2 daily for the past few years without experiencing any side effects. My blood pressure and pulse are fine and my breathing is fine. No lower abdominal pain experienced at this time. I am just not sure what is causing this pain.

Comment from: Dena, 45-54 Female Published: October 28

I have no insurance so I'm here trying to figure out what it is that I might have. I'm experiencing the same symptoms as mentioned in other reader's comments along with ALOT of loud bubbling and rumbling in my upper stomach. It is very embarrassing and I hate to be in public when it is acting up. I will check out the alkaline diet that another reader mentioned to see if it will help. Thanks!

Comment from: Christie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

My stomach used to be flat and now it is bloated all the time. I have no appetite which makes me feel nauseous and then I eat and feel better, but my stomach is bloated. I exercise regularly and do ab exercises every day I work out.

Comment from: tallonvine, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I suffer mild forms of gastritis quite often. I was told it might be angina so I left it. This however is my second severe bout. The first bout caused a stomach ulcer. On that occasion I lost more than a third of my blood and nearly died, needless to say I am scared. This time I've caught it early and now understand it both severe cases were accompanied by unbearable stress. I am on beta blockers.

Comment from: john, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I am suffering from gastritis. I'm using medicine for that. It started 3 months ago. I have difficulty breathing mostly at night. A few days before I used to have a fever in the evenings.

Comment from: cmckie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I developed this when I was in the hospital the only medication I am taking is Zantac. I have a nasty taste in my mouth and nothing tastes good. My stomach feels upset all the time.

Comment from: feretsrme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had an endoscopy done this morning, and my doctor provided me with 4 pictures. The first one is of my gastro-esophageal junction. It is red, and open. I previously had an ulcer on it, and it was healed by Nexium. It looks like it is trying to come back. The second picture is of the fundus, and part of it is kind of dark pink, with an area that is much darker, almost a brownish black color, with a white area. The third is of the body of the stomach, and it is bright red with a section that is brown with white areas. The fourth is of the duodenum. All of the pictures indicate inflammation. I do have a hiatal hernia, with a degree of gastroparesis, and esophagitis.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter