Patient Comments: Gallbladder Pain - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your experience with gallbladder pain?

Comment from: Ann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

The symptoms I thought were the stomach flu. Since it came and went for about a week, and with upper stomach pain and back pain, I went to the emergency room. After a CAT scan and MRI, I was told my gall bladder was full of stones. There was also a blockage of 9 marble size stones in my bile duct. I had to have my gallbladder out one day and the next day an endoscopy to remove the stones. I spent six days admitted to the hospital. I was on a liquid diet for six days, due to my pancreas and liver levels being off. Now, I am just sore and weak from not eating for so long.

Comment from: Len, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I have gallbladder pain in the right side radiating to the right back. Blood pressure rise to hypertension levels, causing palpitations in my heart and fluttering in the chest.

Comment from: samm, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I starting having my gallbladder pain when my daughter was 6 months old. The pain was under my shoulder blades and the stabbing pain is there constant. I get the shivers even though I am sweating. I have been on strong Co-Codamol and Buscopan as a gall stone goes into my bile duct. I have had an ultrasound confirming and I have had my MRI 3 weeks ago. If anyone is worried about the MRI, there is no need, 10 minutes is all it is. I got an appointment for next month and hoping they tell me when I am going to have surgery. What I found out that is best to ease the pain is, when you first start feeling pain, even little ones, use a hot water bottle and keep on for 5 minutes, then off for 5 minutes.

Comment from: prettyivet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have been having these gallbladder pains for years but more frequent now. They found gall stones after they performed a sonogram. Pain feels like you are being stabbed repeatedly in the upper abdomen. I have continuous vomiting and shortness of breath. Pepcid alleviates pain slightly. Reglan helps nausea. It actually feels like you are about to die; worse that labor pains. I am going next week to have my gallbladder removed by The da Vinci robot technique.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

When I have a gall bladder attack it lasts days. I have immediate pain from my esophagus when I eat anything and I mean anything. Then above my belly button, then through to my back and then down my arms. It's horrible and I can't wait to have an MRI scan to differentiate between polyps or stones. A blockage is suspected as I had high amylase and lipase levels when I could stand the pain no longer and ended up in Accident and Emergency. They diagnosed that it must be my ovarian cysts which the gastroenterologist couldn't understand especially due to blood test results! Hopefully it will get sorted now as I can't eat at all without extreme pain and have pain if I don't eat. Sigh.

Gallbladder Pain - Causes Question: What was the cause of the gallbladder pain you experienced?
Gallbladder Pain - Treatment Question: How was your case of gallbladder pain treated?
Gallbladder Pain - Complications Question: What complications did you experience with your case of gallbladder pain?