Patient Comments: Fungal Nails - Treatments

What treatment did you use for your fungal nails? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: DJC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I tried tea tree oil, and everything in the drug store for toe nail fungus 6 nails. Nothing! A supplement store employee told me those wouldn't cure it, only oregano oil would. She was right! Six months later it is 80 percent gone! About USD 22.00 at health food stores, each bottle lasts 4 to 6 weeks. Get oregano oil!

Comment from: dzzwt, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

No fungus can survive a strong acidic environment. So we can create a strong acidic environment using our kitchen vinegar. Use cotton ball and saturate with vinegar. Put the cotton ball over the infected nail. Use cut off vinyl glove finger portion covering the nail with cotton ball. Keep it overnight. Continue several days (try one week).

Comment from: Celia, Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am fighting with this problem of fungal nails since I was 12 years old, it makes me sick. Every time I go to a public swimming pool or take a shower in my dance center I can be sure to get a new fungus! Now I found something that seems to support the cure. Well, of course I use the typical clotrimazole cream my doctor prescribes, but I am now also using shoe inserts of cedar wood to support the curing process and I am well surprised! I have dry feet using them and seems like they have a natural antibacterial effect (I read a bit about it) so it's a good thing I think! Hope I could help!

Comment from: Oatmeal gal, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 10

I had fungal nails for years. I used Lamisil spray, medicines, tea tree oil; none worked more effective than the cheapest brand of vapor rub (Vicks too expensive). Don't wear slippers as it will reoccur. Use open toed shoes in the house and sandals outside if possible. First time ever I see hope.

Comment from: greenhillmca, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I practice martial art, I get fungal nail infections from time to time from the mat. I did research on line, found articles about how simple white vinegar will take care of the problem, it is simple and cheap. I dip my fingers and toes into a small container of the vinegar for 15 minutes for 10 days. It works for me every time. My husband is a believer too now. It should be the first thing to try before any other medicines.

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

First I used Vicks ointment, then found out that the ingredient that killed the fungus in the nail was thyme oil. I bought a bottle of thyme oil. Thyme oil is very strong so don't use it without diluting. I added a couple of drops to a small bottle of body lotion. I mixed the two in one of those bottles you get in a hotel room and applied the lotion to my hands and feet. Fungus died and nails grew back healthy. If I see patches that may be a re-occurrence I just start using my magic lotion again. I think you can use the herb in cooking and it will help too.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I have had fungal nails in both big toes, then it spread to my fingers, 7 of them, for 2 years. My doctor gave me Grifulvin V 500 mg twice a day and now 2 months later my nails have cleared up.

Comment from: maggekay, (Patient) Published: July 31

It seems that oregano oil is working well for nail fungus. I put a drop under the nail 3 times per day. It is clear in from the top where it started. I get it at the health food store.

Comment from: Holly, Female (Patient) Published: July 15

A nail technician told me to use Vicks VapoRub for my nail fungus. It cleared it up in a matter of weeks and it hasn't been back! Great stuff!

Comment from: LRS, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I've used tea tree oil every night around my nails for 10 years. It hasn't cured it but keeps it in check. About 4 months ago I started mixing equal amounts of white vinegar and amber colored Listerine and soaking my fingers for 10 minutes every night. The article said to soak twice a day for 5 minutes each. I have noticed a difference in my nails. I still have the fungus but it's not as bad and all the green color has disappeared. I've continued with the tea tree oil. I should also tell you that for 25 years I had acrylic nails. Over time I noticed my nail attachment was getting lower and lower meaning the space between the tip of my nail and the attachment to the skin was getting deeper. Then the green color started appearing. I haven't had acrylics for at least 10 years now but I'm having trouble growing the skin attachment. Sometimes it looks better and then 2 weeks later it starts detaching again. My dermatologist just gave me a prescription to start Diflucan tablet once a week for 24 weeks. I sure hope this helps!

Published: July 05

I have been using tea tree oil for five months. I apply it all over and around the infected nails daily after showering. My nails have grown by about 50% since then, and the new nail growth appears to be fungus-free. Patience and perseverance are the keys here; there is no quick fix for this problem, but tea tree oil appears to have no serious side effects.

Comment from: MAK, Female (Caregiver) Published: January 26

In recent physical exam my hematocrit level came as 39.1 and HB was recorded 13.4. HCT was marked red in the report.

Comment from: Laurie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

Apple cider vinegar and tee tree oil work wonders for fungal nails.

Comment from: NYdadOF3, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I have found that Molecular AF works well; in a few weeks the nail looked great. I got it from my foot doctor. It is made with natural oils and an antifungal medication. It doesn't say it is for nails, but the doctor told me they all say that and to just use it – it works. He was right

Comment from: Redhead, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have used tea tree oil. I started in May of 2011 and have had no new growth. It is about 1/3 of the nail, and looks much better. It's a game of patience and applying the oil a couple of times a day. I guess for a long time..

Comment from: Tey, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

Dipping my feet in Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda works pretty good for me. I started to see results immediately. I pour the apple cider vinegar into a container then sprinkle the baking soda in. When it starts to fizz up I dip my feet inside. Works wonders.

Comment from: happy cured, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

Tea Tree Oil works for my fungal nails! Twice per day. I use a knife to scrape away the bad stuff (don't go overboard). In three weeks you will see a healthy nail growing. Don't stop until the nail is fully grown back and a little more. It worked for me.

Published: May 02

I've used Lamisil. It took many tries. Success came when I kept repeating the treatment over about a year. Before that, I would see some improvement but not a cure. I found a good podiatrist who worked well with me.

Comment from: Jasmine, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 24

Zederna insoles made from cedarwood. I think it's the best way preventing nail funugs or even sweaty, smelly feet. The wood binds moisture and reduces bacteria.

Comment from: Artpeurveyor, Male (Patient) Published: May 07

For my fungal nails, I've been using a new product called molecular AF, over the counter from my podiatrist. After three months I've noticed a great change, and the amount provided is enough for at least a year. It has antifungals and antibiotics.

Comment from: Stewart, 45-54 Male Published: April 26

Underneath my toes it feels very numb. My toenails do not grow. My whole foot feels heavy and goes numb when walking. The buttock feels heavy and numb.

Comment from: Broadway babe, 65-74 Female Published: April 15

I use tea tree oil on a small piece of cotton and push it under the nail with a wooden tooth pick. It seems to decrease the area affected. I've tried Rx nail polish and soaking my feet in corn meal and warm water. Neither helped.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter