Patient Comments: Fungal Nails - Diagnosis

Why did you go to a doctor for your nail fungus? How was the condition diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: bpsingh, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

My left hand middle finger nail developed yellowish grey spots about 4 years back. The spots first seemed to go out with the nail, but every time the spots covered the whole nail again and ultimately the nail got separated from the nail bed and became brittle. The condition was examined by a skin specialist and after lab test the fungus was identified. He gave two options to either remove the nail surgically and then let it grow again with no surety that it won't happen again, or have oral medication which may cause some heart condition to develop. Then I came to know about medicinal effect of white vinegar and started to dip my finger nail in vinegar for 15 minutes every day before going to sleep. This worked wonders and after about 15 days of treatment the nail started clearing up and in another month it is rid of all fungus and a normal nail is in place.

Comment from: peg, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I don't go to a doctor, using bleach in water once a week will cure nail fungus.

Comment from: rosaaacosta, Female (Patient) Published: December 30

The nail fungus condition was visible when I removed my shoes or gloves. Nail fungus is visible when there is too much on the nail beds.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter